Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Nottingham Forest (A) Capital One Cup, Tues 11 Aug 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Derbyshire Saddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Nottingham Forest (A) Capital One Cup, Tues 11 Aug 7.45p

Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:41 am

Shame to see the City Ground so empty, £20 is steep but was worth every penny for us lot, even the £5 parking was well worth it in the end. The performance was amazing, I haven't enjoyed watching a game of football as good as that for ages. I thought we'd get out muscled but fair play to our lads, they got stuck in and gave it their all. We all just want to see that kind of aggression and commitment on a regular basic at the Bank's. Not going to single out players performances as they all played great, feels so good be a Saddler today in the East Midlands.

Ghostofwalsallpast
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:03 pm

IHTC. wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:
IHTC. wrote:Watched the highlights at about 2 am and even through blurry eyes that was one of the softest penalties I've ever seen given, would be furious if it had been the other way round

Always somebody who tries to pee on the bonfire. Yes it was a soft penalty but does it matter? We out played and out classed a championship team last night. The support was immense. Let's just enjoy that and stop picking faults ffs :roll:

Get a grip you fool, How on earth is saying 'it was very poor decision by the Ref' picking faults?

Agree, no harm in commenting on how soft the penalty was. Doesn't take anything away from the lads because we deserved to win. I've watched it back several times just to find "contact" from the Forest defender. Think I found it just as Bradders pushes the ball forward but can't see how it would make him fall to the floor as he did. Anyway, even if it was dubious it's gone against us often enough over the last few seasons.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:06 pm

Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:Best team won on the night but eff me, what a soft penalty.

Firmly believe that had it gone to extra time we would have beaten you but it didn't and we didn't so good luck to you.

Agreed - and thanks for the wishes.

How long can you hang on to your young superstar, Antonio? He certainly looks a bit special.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Ghostofwalsallpast wrote:Agree, no harm in commenting on how soft the penalty was. Doesn't take anything away from the lads because we deserved to win. I've watched it back several times just to find "contact" from the Forest defender. Think I found it just as Bradders pushes the ball forward but can't see how it would make him fall to the floor as he did. Anyway, even if it was dubious it's gone against us often enough over the last few seasons.

Let's be honest, it was not a penalty. Bradshaw fell to the floor with zero contact. Everyone around me said it was not a pen and we all had a clear view but frankly who cares, we got very lucky with that decision and thoroughly deserved to beat them.

If it had gone to extra time I think Antonio would have gone on to get his hat-trick as he really was unstoppable when given the ball.

Interesting that today's Nottingham Evening Post cannot bring themselves to cover the game on the back page, as would be the norm, but the story is of Lansbury's potential £4M move to Burnley. Turn inside to get the match report which I am sure a few Derby and Notts fans might be leaving open on their work desks across offices in Nottingham today for their tree hugging colleagues!

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:33 pm

Best football game I have been to in a long time. had everything.

Our fans were first class, cant remember a point in the second half were it got quiet.

team played very well, etheridge needs work but so did odonnell when he got here and im sure cutler will work his magic, flannagan was a bit wasteful and is not up for anything physical besides that I think everyone was a 8/9 out of 10.

What impressed me most today is that they were genuinely up for it, totally committed and were so much more positive in attack, more of the same please Mr smith.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:36 pm

Ghostofwalsallpast wrote:
IHTC. wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:
IHTC. wrote:Watched the highlights at about 2 am and even through blurry eyes that was one of the softest penalties I've ever seen given, would be furious if it had been the other way round

Always somebody who tries to pee on the bonfire. Yes it was a soft penalty but does it matter? We out played and out classed a championship team last night. The support was immense. Let's just enjoy that and stop picking faults ffs :roll:

Get a grip you fool, How on earth is saying 'it was very poor decision by the Ref' picking faults?

Agree, no harm in commenting on how soft the penalty was. Doesn't take anything away from the lads because we deserved to win. I've watched it back several times just to find "contact" from the Forest defender. Think I found it just as Bradders pushes the ball forward but can't see how it would make him fall to the floor as he did. Anyway, even if it was dubious it's gone against us often enough over the last few seasons.

Spot on, some people just love to argue for the sake of it.

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:37 pm

Super Gabor wrote:
Ghostofwalsallpast wrote:Agree, no harm in commenting on how soft the penalty was. Doesn't take anything away from the lads because we deserved to win. I've watched it back several times just to find "contact" from the Forest defender. Think I found it just as Bradders pushes the ball forward but can't see how it would make him fall to the floor as he did. Anyway, even if it was dubious it's gone against us often enough over the last few seasons.

Let's be honest, it was not a penalty. Bradshaw fell to the floor with zero contact. Everyone around me said it was not a pen and we all had a clear view but frankly who cares, we got very lucky with that decision and thoroughly deserved to beat them.

If it had gone to extra time I think Antonio would have gone on to get his hat-trick as he really was unstoppable when given the ball.

Interesting that today's Nottingham Evening Post cannot bring themselves to cover the game on the back page, as would be the norm, but the story is of Lansbury's potential £4M move to Burnley. Turn inside to get the match report which I am sure a few Derby and Notts fans might be leaving open on their work desks across offices in Nottingham today for their tree hugging colleagues!

The biggest question to come out of the game yesterday was, Antonio better than brissett :wink:

the floor is yours!

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:12 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:Best team won on the night but eff me, what a soft penalty.

Firmly believe that had it gone to extra time we would have beaten you but it didn't and we didn't so good luck to you.

How long can you hang on to your young superstar, Antonio? He certainly looks a bit special.

Antonio is class BUT he is a real idle arse who won't defend and very often puts his own full back under a lot of pressure by not tracking back. Biggest problem is that we tend to lump it forward to him all the time or lump it to Blackstock to head down for him, wouldnt mind if it works but seldom does.

Very effective and would be a a success in a middle of the league Premier team.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:03 pm

Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

Antonio is class BUT he is a real idle arse who won't defend and very often puts his own full back under a lot of pressure by not tracking back. Biggest problem is that we tend to lump it forward to him all the time or lump it to Blackstock to head down for him, wouldnt mind if it works but seldom does.

What's happened to Paterson? Didn't he have a really good spell for you a couple of seasons back?

You must be sick of the mention of us. Can't beat us and all your ex-Saddlers are doing cack!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:18 pm

kshammer wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

What's happened to Paterson? Didn't he have a really good spell for you a couple of seasons back?

You must be sick of the mention of us. Can't beat us and all your ex-Saddlers are doing cack!

Scanning the various Nottingham Forest message boards it can't be denied that the huge majority of Forest fans regard Jamie Paterson and Danny Fox in the same category as something you're about to flush away before washing your hands...... :wink:

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:47 pm

kshammer wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

Paterson is one of those players with great potential that will never actually reach it. He will eventually leave us and spend a career bumming around the lower leagues only to wake up one day wondering where his career has gone.

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:48 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
kshammer wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

Scanning the various Nottingham Forest message boards it can't be denied that the huge majority of Forest fans regard Jamie Paterson and Danny Fox in the same category as something you're about to flush away before washing your hands...... :wink:

Both had loads of chances but seem steadfast in refusing to take them

SWS1

Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:04 pm

belgiansaddler wrote::

There cannot be a male on the planet who has got more potential shags than Tom Bradshaw judging by the songs after his first, second and third goals tonight �

:mrgreen:

All he needs now is similar offers from GIRLS! :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, seriously good last night, by ALL accounts (including Florist fans who, as has been said, were more than fair in their assessment). :D
Now, those who say we don't score enough goals (fair comment) - if we play like this more often, the likelihood is we'll score a lot more goals, but ship a lot more, too, which is what many on the board have been asking for. Let's hope if we do (play like that) the dice fall our way, as last night, rather than the other, 'cos I'd still like us to be there or thereabouts for the play-offs at season's end. And if that requires the odd dour-performance-grinding-out-results the odd time or three, well, so be it. I LIKE TO SEE US WIN, when all is said and done. :D
Glass now half-full, definitely. :D :D :D

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:34 pm

Gripper wrote:I'm 21 years old and that's the best game I've ever been to. The second round is on my Birthday week...hoping for a decent draw.

One " belter " every 21 years , is the going rate . You've still got time to see a couple more :D .

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:35 pm

I don't see why playing a more expansive style, means you can't defend properly. It stands to reason we may concede a few more, but it doesn't have to be a disaster if defenders do their jobs. We had 3 holding midfielders last night as such. A player like Cain would be perfect for how we played last night.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:29 pm

Another Florist fan's assessment;

I really enjoyed watching Walsall though. A very bright team who played excellent stuff under Dean Smith and sods right hand man Richard O'Kelly.

I do get fed up of reading such comments about Deano & our players from opposition fans & then coming on to this board where all the qualified football managers(!) think they know better. It seems bizarre that fans of a Club the size of Forest look at Walsall admirably. It's a funny old game.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:31 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:I don't see why playing a more expansive style, means you can't defend properly. It stands to reason we may concede a few more, but it doesn't have to be a disaster if defenders do their jobs. We had 3 holding midfielders last night as such. A player like Cain would be perfect for how we played last night.

I think the issue is that O'Connor and Downing both have a clanger in them, so leaving them that fraction more exposed is only likely to see us let a few more in. In fairness though, that partnership is looking as good now as it's ever looked.

Not wanting to be too picky on potential flaws after such a great performance, but the other issue could be that the three 'holding midfielders' don't actually offie that much protection. Chambers likes to put a foot in, but the other two aren't necessarily who you want in front of your back four when their backs are against the wall.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:58 pm

Thanks for calling me a fool IHTC, much appreciated :D

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:37 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Another Florist fan's assessment;

I really enjoyed watching Walsall though. A very bright team who played excellent stuff under Dean Smith and sods right hand man Richard O'Kelly.

I do get fed up of reading such comments about Deano & our players from opposition fans & then coming on to this board where all the qualified football managers(!) think they know better. It seems bizarre that fans of a Club the size of Forest look at Walsall admirably. It's a funny old game.

Funny how you only copy and paste these comments after the old game where we are outstanding, why do you not do it when we have lost to Port Vale or Leyton Orient and the oppositions forums are saying how cack we were and lacked any attacking threat? :?

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:46 pm

IHTC. wrote:

Funny how you only copy and paste these comments after the old game where we are outstanding, why do you not do it when we have lost to Port Vale or Leyton Orient and the oppositions forums are saying how cack we were and lacked any attacking threat? :?

We are inconsistent and it drives me mad. But we are Walsall with players who are inconsistent otherwise they wouldn't be playing for us. My point was let's just enjoy the fantastic performance last night, we were awesome. Next time we are crap, probably in the not too distant future, we can discuss that then. If we can't enjoy performances like last night then what's the point?

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:47 pm

IHTC. wrote:

More pundits, journalists, opposition managers and opposition supporters heap praise on Dean Smith and the operation at WFC than those that knock it, that's for sure.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:48 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

We are inconsistent and it drives me mad. But we are Walsall with players who are inconsistent otherwise they wouldn't be playing for us. My point was let's just enjoy the fantastic performance last night, we were awesome. Next time we are crap, probably in the not too distant future, we can discuss that then. If we can't enjoy performances like last night then what's the point?

I did not see anyone post anything negative until you tried to change the tone :lol:

p.s I'm pretty sure your not a fool but your comment was foolish :wink:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:20 pm

IHTC. wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

I did not see anyone post anything negative until you tried to change the tone :lol:

p.s I'm pretty sure your not a fool but your comment was foolish :wink:

No, you were definitely correct first time around :lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:45 pm

Is the draw not tonight?

SWS1

Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:48 pm

Get in! Back o' the net! And other positive comments. :D
Feeling good (until next week???) :mrgreen:

maximus
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:53 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Is the draw not tonight?

Tomorrow straight after the Leeds v Doncaster game. Sky Sport News.

UTS Legend

Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:15 am

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:03 am

Friend of mine e-mailed me ....

"Out of nearly 2000 WFC matches ; the game at Forest was certainly in my top ten.

Breathtaking entertainment—will it be the same at Roots Hall ??"

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:06 am

Watched the penalty again last night, what on earth was that plonker of a ref on?

IHTC.
Site Addict

Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:27 am

Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:Watched the penalty again last night, what on earth was that plonker of a ref on?

Needed to get home asap.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season