Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (H) League One August 8th 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Oldham Athletic (H) League One August 8th 3pm

Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:21 pm

Thread for our opening match up nice and early, to allow plenty of anticipation and comment. We welcome Oldham Athletic and their newly appointed manager Darren Kelly, a 35-year old Northern Irishman with playing experience in both England and Ulster. His appointment has led to unsavoury allegations that he has been an IRA supporter, and so far there have been three arrests following death threats made to him. Darren has Dean Holden as his assistant, and they will be looking to improve on last season's 15th place finish, seven points above the relegation zone.

Oldham have been busy in the transfer market during the close season.......

David Dunn (ex-Blackburn Rovers midfielder) has signed a one year deal.
David Cornell (ex-Swansea City goalkeeper) will compete for the jersey with Joel Coleman.
Jake Cassidy (ex-Dingles striker) has joined with a 2 year contract.
George Green (ex-Everton midfielder) has also signed a 2 year deal.
Lee Croft (ex-St. Johnstone midfielder) has started his 3rd spell at Boundary Park.

There's no recent form to quote obviously, but last season we did win at home at Oldham 2-0 courtesy of a couple of Tom Bradshaw's goals. That was as recently as April, but last October we lost the away fixture even though we took the lead (Cook, 10 minutes).

I suppose the big question concerns Dean Smith's "tactics"`for this one - how much has been learned from the pre-season friendlies, and will the "2 up front" method have any mileage? There is also the signing (or not) of an appropriately tall defender - no doubt we shall learn more during the week, and any significant updates will appear here. Meanwhile feel free to post predictions - I shall cast caution to the winds and go for a 3-0 home win, with Bradshaw (obviously), Cook and Morris (2nd half substitute) scoring. Thoughts? :D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Oldham Athletic (H) League One August 8th 3pm

Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:00 pm

A 1-1 draw, with Bradshaw for us, in front of 4.345, including 802 Latics.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:33 pm

BathSaddler wrote:A 1-1 draw, with Bradshaw for us, in front of 4.345, including 802 Latics.

Agreed, 1-1 at best, usual bore fest, three shots on target, Bradshaw goal via wicked deflection from a defender ten minutes from the end, as the prospect of a home defeat loomed.
Gate? 3,895 about 600 Latics in that.
Leaving us mid table....for a change :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:07 pm

Brief follow-up on the original post.....Oldham (like us) are actively seeking a Centre-back, and Anthony Gerrard's name is being bandied about much to the disgust of several of their fans. An actual signing is due to be revealed tomorrow...

Oldham had some decent opposition in their pre-season friendlies, but the results weren't too good:-

Oldham Athletic 0 Bolton Wanderers 2
Oldham Athletic 0 Blackburn Rovers 2
Carlisle Utd 3 Oldham Athletic 1

As far as away support is concerned there is a general feeling on the Oldham message boards that they will bring at least 1,000 and maybe as many as 1,300 to Bescot. Apparently they took more than 700 to the opening game last season at Colchester. :?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:18 pm

2-0 4456 including my good self :D

Bradshaw and....erm...... One of the others

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:37 pm

chestersaddler wrote:2-0 4456 including my good self :D

Bradshaw and....erm...... One of the others

O.G

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:29 am

Walsall 4 - 1 Oldham

Bradshaw (2)
Lalkovic
Mantom

3 - 0 (HT)

Wouldn't that be a lovely start to the season - TOTL

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:28 am

1-0 Super Tom will flop it in with his floppy locks in front of 4421

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:00 pm

Another follow-up to previous "Oldham signings" news......they've taken 20-year old Jonathan Burn on a Youth loan until January from Middlesbrough. He's the defender they were predicting would be announced today - interestingly for them, Oldham are due to play Middlesbrough in the 1st round of the League Cup (as they did in last year's 1st round).

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:51 pm

3-0 Walsall

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:56 pm

3-0 us.

Bradshaw x2
Morris

Sawyers to be our best player again but continue to receive criticism.

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:24 pm

2-0.

Bradshaw in the first half.
Sawyers in the second.

Job done.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:16 pm

2-0

Bradshaw in the first half
Morris in the second
Job done :wink:

Lovemuffin

Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:56 pm

I'll go 2-1. Milan with both.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:05 pm

1 - 1

Oldham to score last minute penalty.

Ref to be Michael Fish so Smith can blame ref and weather for the disappointing result.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:31 pm

We'll lose 3-0 after Oldham sign Anthony Gerrard who scores a hat trick before performing his celebration in front of Dean Smith that involves him stepping backward before correcting himself into a massive leap forward. Then the Home serve library stand will all slate Smiths comments about resigning Gerrard in quiet murmurs. Dean will blame the formation and will revert to one-up-front-starved-of-service-formation from last season for the next game.

BeardedSwift

Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:29 am

4 - 0 To us
Milan with a 1st half hat trick & Jason Whatshisname in the 90th.

& then I'll wake up, toddle off to the match & watch a boring 0 - 0.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:39 pm

2-1 win.

Hope so anyway as think Oldham will massively struggle this season. Who's this new manager they've appointed?

They've also been in league 1 for eternity...time for a relegation.

Gripper
Glitterati

Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:50 pm

We've beat them at home for each of the last 3 seasons....1-1 I'm saying.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:54 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:They've also been in league 1 for eternity...time for a relegation.

We are second in that list

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:12 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:They've also been in league 1 for eternity...time for a relegation.

We are second in that list

True but Oldham been in it six years longer I think?

onemanband

Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:00 pm

4-1 4777 in attendance.

Louise
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:57 am

looking forward to the season starting - a victory to us , 1-0.
See you all there. :)

Noggin
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:50 pm

Walsall 4 Oldham 1

Unbeaten at home all season.

League Champions by March.

Wolves and Villa to get relegated.

Albion to qualify for Europe via the fair play rules.

The morale of this post is that prescription drugs and sniffing glue is a very bad combination, still the colours are pretty...

See you all on Saturday. I'll be the one in Walsall shirt.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:44 pm

On holiday for this one, so no doubt will be our best performance of the season. 2-0 to the saddlers, super Tom and Milan and a one off return for chips in the kiosks.

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:00 am

It will be 0-0...at least at the beginning

Very stupid to have got rid of Grimes....last seasons scapegoat for the lack of goals, when in reality he should have been kept and played in position and given full matches, as he looked sharp and quality...very sad to see him go, dumb decision, was treated badly at Walsall....it seems Barrow fans are already seeing his quality and he has scored for them in a friendly already.... I expect him to score quite a few this season for Barrow and hopefully revive his career after Dean Smith seemed to try and ruin him....maybe Dean's plan is to totally ruin Lalkovic....by giving him 5 minutes every two games while favouring Sawyers over everyone at all times...including the fans and including winning, scoring, passing swiftly etc....I am already getting irritated in advance. An injured Sawyers...hesitantly passing slowly and losing possession is obviously a better tactic than a fit player taking a quick shot. I guess Baxendale will have to score a hatrick in the five minutes at the end he is brought on in order to ever be considered before Sawyers..when Sawyers is half fit....Baxendale no chance unless he gets some braids or something....and slows down his game to give the opposition more of a chance to tackle or get into blocking position.

also Manset should have been kept , he was also capable....

Still have good players in Cook, Bradshaw, Baxendale, Forde, Lalkovic .....if they are given a chance with a sensible formation and tactics...then have chance to score goals...but not if same wrong shape and methods are used from last season....it seems half the fans eventually came round to seeing it my way.

Will be interesting to see if Morris and Bakayoko are given time.

Seems like hardly any signings made....Lalkovic much better than the likes of Brandy in my view.

An attack minded rational analytical manager would be the best signing of all

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:24 am

sallian wrote:Very stupid to have got rid of Grimes....last seasons scapegoat for the lack of goals, when in reality he should have been kept and played in position and given full matches, as he looked sharp and quality...very sad to see him go, dumb decision, was treated badly at Walsall....it seems Barrow fans are already seeing his quality and he has scored for them in a friendly already.... I expect him to score quite a few this season for Barrow and hopefully revive his career after Dean Smith seemed to try and ruin him

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:03 am

Pedagogue wrote:
sallian wrote:Very stupid to have got rid of Grimes....last seasons scapegoat for the lack of goals, when in reality he should have been kept and played in position and given full matches, as he looked sharp and quality...very sad to see him go, dumb decision, was treated badly at Walsall....it seems Barrow fans are already seeing his quality and he has scored for them in a friendly already.... I expect him to score quite a few this season for Barrow and hopefully revive his career after Dean Smith seemed to try and ruin him

You picked that bit out, I felt the bit about Manset was even more amusing !

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:21 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

I'm just shocked people actually read his posts...

As for the game, 2-0 to us... Super Tom and Mantom (this optimism may not last long).

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:36 pm

kshammer wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

I'm just shocked people actually read his posts...

As for the game, 2-0 to us... Super Tom and Mantom (this optimism may not last long).

Very shocking...I wanted two players to stay who were quite good and weren't given much of a chance, especially Grimes. Also shocking.... offensive formation and tactics messed up Walsall's last season of higher potential.... a point I continuously made from the beginning but was ridiculed for on this board....and then most of you came round to agreeing...and even Dean Smith is half seeing it or indirectly admitting it judging by his words.... SHOCKING :shock:

Next
Return to 2015-16 Season