Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

West Bromwich Albion (H) friendly Tuesday 28 July, 7.30pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: West Bromwich Albion (H) friendly Tuesday 28 July, 7.30p

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:32 pm

Attendance 5,209.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:50 pm

Sounds like we played okay but it's the same old problem: we can't score. I hope Deano understands the problem. It's time to play two up front, which means we have to drop Sawyers or play 3-4-1-2 or a 4-4-2 diamond formation. I would definitely look to get Callum Robinson or similar on loan. It's time to ditch 4-2-3-1, it ain't working, especially at home.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:54 pm

One goal in three games. Plenty to look forward to :D

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:55 pm

We played very well in the first half, Albion who had a full first 11 were utter dog cack, pedestrian, careless and very poor. We played 5 at the back with Andy Taylor as a LCB, we played very well, Sawyers up front with Bradshaw with Baxendale in the hole. Shock horror by the way, Baxendale was played in the hole, and he had his first decent game for 2 seasons! Surprised it took Dean 2 years to figure out what we all knew, Baxendale isn't a winger.

2nd half they played a little better, exposed Kinsella on the right twice getting to the byline and playing a low cross for a tap in, disappointing way to concede but that's what happens when you put a 19 year old kit at wing back versus James McLean.

But yet again, no goals, on another day we score 2 and win 2-0 with the momentum still with us for the 90. But we didn't and that has been the case for a while, and it needs to change.

It was a inspiring performance though, it has turned me to worried for the season to slightly apprehensive about the season.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:01 pm

chestersaddler wrote:One goal in three games. Plenty to look forward to :D

Better than normal

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:07 pm

IHTC. wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:One goal in three games. Plenty to look forward to :D

Better than normal

:D

Gripper
Glitterati

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:16 pm

Without sounding like Smith, theres lots to take from that 2-0 loss.

Flanagan I thought was quality, chopped play up well, good distribution.

Loads of attempts on target in the second half, but none with enough power behind them to beat a sunday league keeper.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:18 pm

Also impressed with Thompson in the short spell he had, put his foot in a few times and played a cheeky lob over the Albion midfield to find Milan in acres of space.

popperpancake

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:30 pm

saddlertd wrote:Sounds like we played okay but it's the same old problem: we can't score. I hope Deano understands the problem. It's time to play two up front, which means we have to drop Sawyers or play 3-4-1-2 or a 4-4-2 diamond formation. I would definitely look to get Callum Robinson or similar on loan. It's time to ditch 4-2-3-1, it ain't working, especially at home.

We played 3412 today. I quite liked the look of it.

PT
Site Addict

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:33 pm

Gripper wrote:Without sounding like Smith, theres lots to take from that 2-0 loss.

Loads of attempts on target in the second half, but none with enough power behind them to beat a sunday league keeper.

Looking at some footage, it looks like Flanagan has beefed up a bit. Would be good if he has as he looked a bit lightweight against more physical opponents last year. Is this indeed the case?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:36 pm

PT wrote:
Gripper wrote:Without sounding like Smith, there's lots to take from that 2-0 loss.

Loads of attempts on target in the second half, but none with enough power behind them to beat a Sunday league keeper.

Looking at some footage, it looks like Flanagan has beefed up a bit. Would be good if he has as he looked a bit lightweight against more physical opponents last year. Is this indeed the case?

Despite what some people on here say about him, I think that Flanagan IS a quality player but, as PT says, he has to learn to deal with the physical side of the game.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:44 pm

Sounds like we looked a threat against PREMIER LEAGUE OPPOSITION - that was the Baggies 1st XI.

Interesting to see we tried a formation (yes a new formation, like the one we tried towards the end of last season - that's 3 different formations we can use now) and looked good with it. I can't help but feel excited about seeing Rico Henry as a bombarding wing back next season... don't be surprised to see us start on the opening day with Bax in the hole and Sawyers/Bradshaw playing properly off each other upfront.

Excellent if true, I'm excited by that prospect.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:00 pm

Two comments from a West Brom fans' message board:

"Walsall were the better side overall, don't know how they didn't score"

"Walsall played some lovely stuff"

There you go, we're going to have a great season!!! :D :D

Johnj

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:37 pm

Milan looked exciting in the second half when he came on. Tried things and never gives up when he gives the ball away. He will always be a crowd pleaser.
Bax much better in a central role, wouldn't bother playing him unless we can fit him in the middle.
Mantom still doesn't look back to his best for me, against Villa or tonight.
Flanagan did well again - although being one of the holding CM roles doesn't really suit him. After watching the reserves and youth teams he is better going forward.
ROD won't be missed too much

We missed Rico when he went off. Very dangerous going forward

Matt Preston did very well, gave it away a couple of times but looks solid enough for a young lad. Just needs to relax a little when he has time on the ball

Morris looked dangerous at times too. Should be ahead to forde IMO. He should have finished that one off in the second half though.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:41 pm

Not convinced really, if Bradshaw is having an offday/night then it's a struggle to see many others stepping up....Milan will run around all day and show some night skills but he'll struggle to score 10 league goals this season and Sawyers is Sawyers.

At least it seems a different formation was tried out tonight so kudos to Smith and lets hope we see it in a proper home game next season.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:59 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Two comments from a West Brom fans' message board:

"Walsall were the better side overall, don't know how they didn't score"

"Walsall played some lovely stuff"

There you go, we're going to have a great season!!! :D :D

I'm sure we did play some lovely stuff compared to a Tony Pulis side.
I'm also sure we will play some lovely stuff for a large part of next season.
I'm also sure Albion will finish in a higher league position than us though in their respective league.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:08 am

PT wrote:Sounds like an exciting game. Even though we're now a comfortable sounding 2-0 down.

Tempted to write that it also sounds like we're unlucky to be behind, but feel that would set the tone for the season. So I'll go with;our approach play sounds as though it is deserving of a better finish than our forwards have been capable of providing.

The tone is already set I'm afraid. It was very promising, don't get me wrong, we easily matched Albion, okay it's a friendly run out so you can't take to much from that. We looked good though, the tempo was much higher than we saw for large parts of last season.

Bradshaw will score 15 + barring ridiculous injury problems, I don't think he was a one season wonder, he still has it, excellent off the ball movement, we know he can finish. The biggest problem is, where are the other 50+ goals coming from ?

If we are to have a good season, by good I mean challenging the top 6, rather than being bottom to mid table, a few things need to happen.

Sawyers, I am a big fan of his ( I know a lot aren't) but for someone who has a completely free role in the team most games, he has to start and score goals and make assists on a regular basis. Big season for him, he really needs to kick on now.

It depends on what formation we go with, but lets assume he will revert to 4-2-3-1 (I'm sure he will) then the wide players definitely need to start to score more goals. I feel that Morris is the only one that will get a decent total 8+ is a reasonable expectation. Not sure Lalkovic, Cook, or Forde will do this.

We need to be more of a threat off set pieces. I know we scored off one Saturday, but corners and free kicks that are put in the box, we need to be far better at this, even if we aren't the biggest side, delivery and movement are more important than size anyway.

We aren't far away, but we haven't been far away for a few seasons now. Over to you Dean, earn your corn and prove your worth.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:49 am

SaddlerCrewe wrote:According to various posts on twitter, we are the better side.
Bradshaw has just hit the post from a penalty kick.. (40 mins)

I expect the Kit Man will be sewing a 'REDUCED' label on his shirt this morning.

Bonser is never one to miss an opportunity! :mrgreen:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:51 am

*DOFFER* wrote::D Offer here.

Good 1st half from the Saddlers.

But deary me, you cannot miss spot kicks.

Bradders hits the post and puts the rebound wide.

Hitting the post is classed as a shot off target ---------------always amazes me - that.

0-0 H/T

If a shot is 'on target' then it will go in (unless it's blocked or saved of course).

Leatherman
Site Addict

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:56 am

*DOFFER* wrote::lol: Offer here,

If a shot hits the crossbar comes down and hit the goal line, is that on target.... No.

or

A shot hits one post , rolls along the line and hits the other post, is that on target, No

Just asking...as its seems a little unfair that when the woodwork is hit, its classed as off target but understand the kind of logic behind it.

:? Offer

I think the general idea is to put the ball over the line between the posts and the cross bar. :D

Perhaps this is the concept Deano's struggling with at present.

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:43 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxvbxhQ_SEY

Looks to me as if there was a bit of discussion about who was having the penalty. Who else could have taken it? Did anybody see anything like that at the game?

Mrdollabill
UTS Regular

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:48 am

We should of won that game 4-2 how we hit the bar I do not know! It was harder to miss from there than score! But all in all very positive performance tonight all we need now is a extra bit of fire power, getting more in the players in the box for crosses and lots of practise on corners and I think we'll have a great season.

newjersey exile

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:23 pm

I just watched the E&S posted highlights.

Does anyone else think Mcgavillray (right spelling? dunno!) was at fault for both goals? Could he have come out a bit more? Or is it just the viewing angle? Or just bad luck?

If you were at the game last night and had a better view or have a better perspective - Thoughts?

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:29 pm

newjersey exile wrote:I just watched the E&S posted highlights.

Does anyone else think Mcgavillray (right spelling? dunno!) was at fault for both goals? Could he have come out a bit more? Or is it just the viewing angle? Or just bad luck?

If you were at the game last night and had a better view or have a better perspective - Thoughts?

I think that's harsh, it was absolutely fizzed in and Downing missed the near post clearance both times.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:16 am

JonnyOwen wrote:
newjersey exile wrote:I just watched the E&S posted highlights.

I think that's harsh, it was absolutely fizzed in and Downing missed the near post clearance both times.

Agree there Jonny, to me, crosses like those two should always be dealt with by the centre halves, the keeper risks losing his head going for balls like that.
The worrying thing is the ease that the crosses got there in the first place, admittedly these were Premiership players, but I seem to remember there were a few like that against Brissle in the 8-2?

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:09 am

my Albion supporting member of staff said Henry and Sawyers were "class"

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:11 pm

Cheesebag wrote:My Albion supporting member of staff said Henry and Sawyers were "class"

You have dismissed him for supporting the Tesco Bagladies, of course???

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:02 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:My Albion supporting member of staff said Henry and Sawyers were "class"

I'm an equal opportunities employer.... even those less fortunate than ourselves.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:56 am

Cheesebag wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

I'm an equal opportunities employer.... even those less fortunate than ourselves.

Fulfils your minorities and community care quotas in one. :wink:

SWS1

Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:41 am

*DOFFER* wrote::D Offer here.

Good 1st half from the Saddlers.

But deary me, you cannot miss spot kicks.

Bradders hits the post and puts the rebound wide.

Hitting the post is classed as a shot off target ---------------always amazes me - that.

0-0 H/T

Look. If it day goo in the net, it's OFF TARGIT. On targit = 'ittin' the net.
QED
If yow 'it the powst, yow cud say "narrerly off targit" with some justification.
:mrgreen:

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season