Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Aston Villa (H) friendly - Sat 25 July 3.00pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Aston Villa (H) friendly - Sat 25 July 3.00pm

Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:51 pm

Exile wrote:Villa fundraiser game!

It certainly was, with an attendance of 6,606 it was higher than any league gate last season [5,930 being the best :oops: ].

MPSADDLER
UTS Regular

Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:17 pm

The Red Prince wrote:
Whitters wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:Decent performance against Villa who were very poor.

Positives were Adam Chambers and Sam Mantom played very well in breaking up Villa's midfield and then distributing for a quick counter attack.
Etheridge looks just as good if not better than O'Donnell in the air, not sure about everything else though - he certainly distributes the ball much quicker than O'D which is very pleasing though.
Milan looked sharp and skill full.
Rico Henry was again, very very good.

Negatives were Sawyers who messed up two counter attacks in about 2 minutes with two terrible passes.
Wakefield looks average, surely there is better out there.
Tom still looks isolated, a lack of support in general, this is probably thanks to the 4231 formation which still doesn't attack enough at home.

Agree with most of that.
Thought the new full back was good and Sawyers excellent.

Adam Chambers is the worst midfielder since the dawn of man, and the crabbiest crab since Sammy the Crab. Just ask anyone on here!

Adam Chambers is hopeless and should have retired about 3 years ago. Not as hopeless as Romaine Saywers though. What a complete nothing player he is, a total waste of space

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:35 pm

Noggin wrote:

Brilliant spot.

Even better spot.............lol

.....................................................Image

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:37 pm

I don't like this denigration of individual players.Players have good games and bad games. It is the nature of team games but to write off two of our most consistent players by the posters above shows a complete lack of knowledge of the game. Neither Chambers or Sawyers are great players but they do a good job for us. There may well be better out there but I think they just might be out of our price range!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:39 pm

At no point watching the game today did I think this was a team destined to be relegated from league one, simply too many solid players who plenty of other clubs would be happy to take.

How high up the league....well I just don't see enough goalscorers other than Bradshaw in the group.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:15 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:At no point watching the game today did I think this was a team destined to be relegated from league one, simply too many solid players who plenty of other clubs would be happy to take.

How high up the league....well I just don't see enough goalscorers other than Bradshaw in the group.

Yep, we've got a very solid league 1 spine, it's just the players around the spine are average.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:18 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:At no point watching the game today did I think this was a team destined to be relegated from league one, simply too many solid players who plenty of other clubs would be happy to take.

Yep, we've got a very solid league 1 spine, it's just the players around the spine are average.

Shouldn't you be out on the lash?

Happy birthday btw :D

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:52 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:

Shouldn't you be out on the lash?

Happy birthday btw :D

:lol: I don't enjoy going outdoors other than for Walsall, people are weird!

Tar! :mrgreen:

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:34 pm

Well I'm quite happy to give my opinion on players based on a mere snapshot, so here goes:

Etheridge - Too early to call but looks ok, not as good as ROD. But we knew that.
Demetriou - Solid, could have been MoM. Broke up a lot of threats down the left for Villa
Wakefield - Again looks ok, but not brilliant. Off the pace a little, but we knew that.
O'Connor - Solid, caught out a couple of times, but this is the Premier League.
Taylor - Solid, had a lot to contend with on Villa's right. Another MoM contender.

Lalkovic - Full of tricks, didn't all come off. He looks the one player who can pick a pass forward.
Chambers - Voted MoM by a 75yo sponsor who likes that 'he puts his foot on the ball'. Well done, have a toffee.
Mantom - Tidy, like having a new signing.
Forde - Better than I've seen him previously. Needs to stake his claim now.

Sawyers - He's a clever boy, there's no doubt. However his languid style is not going to sit well while his decisions are so consistently poor. Ruined two promising attacks.
Bradshaw - Showed some classy touches despite being marshalled by a recent international and getting little change.

Subs

Downing HT - Solid enough
Preston - First look at him, like him. The makings of a proper centre back. Almost started a brawl when he went in on Kozak, which can't be a bad thing - a bit to learn though!
Henry - Looked classy and we are well blessed at left back,
Kinsella - Fine, didn't look out of place at all.
Morris - Some nice touches, linked things up well.
Baxendale - Ditto, not as good as Morris, but looked good.
Flanagan - Ditto, was better than I might have expected. A bit to learn still.
Cook - Linked things up better simply by taking better options.
Bakoyoko - No real time to make an impression.

As for Villa they might well struggle. Richards is a fine replacement for Vlaar with a similar injury record! The problem is who plays with him. Perm Clark (today), Baker or Okore. Hutton and Bacuna link well on the right. Amavi is good on the left but there's no-one in front of him. The new French lad in centre midfield looked good, but might be an ill-disciplined donkey against better players. Robinson looked far more effective than Sinclair, which has got to be a worry, they need another option up top. Sherwood needs to marshall them like Pulis does with the Albion.

Overall, we looked fine player by player and produced lots of pleasant interludes with little threat. We produced one deflected set piece for the goal, two tame long range efforts by Chambers and not much else. We are the equivalent of getting some new towels - all very nice, but not the gift that I'll remember.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:08 pm

I think this is a good result on the surface. I am interested in the different perceptions of Chambers and Sawyers: some are praising them, others saying they are crud. I have serious doubts whether Chambers will be able to cut it this season at nearly 35, and so we need some midfield cover - perhaps Kinsella can do this, but I'm not sure whether Flanagan can. As for Sawyers, he is increasingly becoming the team's Marmite player - I personally think he's a luxury we can't afford. He prevents us counter-attacking at pace, clogs things up and doesn't score enough goals to justify his role as second striker. I would prefer us to play two out-and-out strikers, that would take some of the pressure off Bradshaw. I think we will continue to struggle to score goals with Sawyers playing in a 4-2-3-1 formation. But I think Smith is too stubborn to drop Sawyers and change formation, and so I hope the defence stays solid.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:39 am

leics_saddler wrote:Chambers - Voted MoM by a 75yo sponsor who likes that 'he puts his foot on the ball'. Well done, have a toffee.

:lol: :lol:

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:17 am

saddlertd wrote:I think this is a good result on the surface. I am interested in the different perceptions of Chambers and Sawyers: some are praising them, others saying they are crud. I have serious doubts whether Chambers will be able to cut it this season at nearly 35, and so we need some midfield cover - perhaps Kinsella can do this, but I'm not sure whether Flanagan can. As for Sawyers, he is increasingly becoming the team's Marmite player - I personally think he's a luxury we can't afford. He prevents us counter-attacking at pace, clogs things up and doesn't score enough goals to justify his role as second striker. I would prefer us to play two out-and-out strikers, that would take some of the pressure off Bradshaw. I think we will continue to struggle to score goals with Sawyers playing in a 4-2-3-1 formation. But I think Smith is too stubborn to drop Sawyers and change formation, and so I hope the defence stays solid.

My thoughts are that I thought Sawyers did well today. He wasn't pushed off the ball and looked like he had time. This counter attacking at pace theory is all well and good but you gave to be top drawer to always pick out Bradshaw amongst 4 defenders. How often do we ever see the wide players cutting in to give an option or the 2 midfielders getting ahead of Sawyers at pace.

Force today was a perfect case, he scored a deflected goal but for me was peripheral. Didn't really help defensively, never took his full back on and never screamed for a pass, or attacked with pace.

Rico Henry is the jewel in the crown. At one point he was cornered on our left side, didn't panic shielded the ball and found a pass. Superb for such a young lad, I hope he can cost em with the rough and tumble of league 1 as he has a great future.

Wakefield I wouldn't bother with, he is Downing mk2. Doesn't look to have any pace, not the tallest so won't command in the air, and doesn't look like the bruiser people have been calling for. We don't need a 21 year old rookie as we have one in Matt Preston and I would rather give him a chance.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:24 am

I'm a fan of Sawyers but I do wonder what Baxendale has to do to get a chance in that number 10 position. Dean knows what he's capable playing there as he played him often enough in his first season. It's a massive season for Baxendsle, but if he's used correctly, he could really improve us, especially when Sawyers is having one of his poor spells

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:45 am

IHTC. wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:The official blog says that we would be wearing our new white 'away' kit, but from the still picture we are clearly wearing last years away kit. :?:

In danger of being whooshed but here goes :oops: , that photo is from last seasons friendly

Sorry about that, but it ain't easy gleaning info from 80 miles away!
What did the blue and white away strip look?

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:53 am

saddler_nic wrote:I'm a fan of Sawyers but I do wonder what Baxendale has to do to get a chance in that number 10 position. Dean knows what he's capable playing there as he played him often enough in his first season. It's a massive season for Baxendsle, but if he's used correctly, he could really improve us, especially when Sawyers is having one of his poor spells

Sorry cant keep hearing any more cases made for baxendale, the lads a tries and that's as far as I can go with him, grimes tried and hes at barrow now.

I think smith plays 4-2-3-1 for a couple of reasons, firstly we don't have enough steel in the team to leave 2 versus 2 in the middle we are too powder puff, and secondly its the only formation he can fit sawyers in.

Bradshaw must get peed off with having to do a marathon every game and I wonder if that will bring on more injuries for the lad.

The biggest crime in all this is how much better at home we looked when we had the 4-3-3 the last few home games of the season, crikey we even started scoring.

Must be the most stubborn manager in my time supporting Walsall, has an idea and just will not budge.

4-2-3-1 has worked well away and there is a case for much of the same next season we have picked up good points away, a stronger home record could even dare us to dream. But the lack of striker, keates type ball winner in the middle and a commander at the back, we'll be sussed before long and teams will mix it with us and realise these guys are a nice sort of bunch and basically beat us by underhand tactics or call it professionalism if you will.

finish anywhere between 17th and 12th I think.........yawn

Noggin
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:08 am

Kevlar wrote:
Noggin wrote:

Brilliant spot.

Even better spot.............lol

.....................................................Image

If you ever run for Prime Minister you'll get my vote...

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:18 pm

Big Dave wfc wrote:
saddler_nic wrote:I'm a fan of Sawyers but I do wonder what Baxendale has to do to get a chance in that number 10 position. Dean knows what he's capable playing there as he played him often enough in his first season. It's a massive season for Baxendsle, but if he's used correctly, he could really improve us, especially when Sawyers is having one of his poor spells

Sorry cant keep hearing any more cases made for baxendale, the lads a tries and that's as far as I can go with him, grimes tried and hes at barrow now.

I think smith plays 4-2-3-1 for a couple of reasons, firstly we don't have enough steel in the team to leave 2 versus 2 in the middle we are too powder puff, and secondly its the only formation he can fit sawyers in.

Bradshaw must get peed off with having to do a marathon every game and I wonder if that will bring on more injuries for the lad.

The biggest crime in all this is how much better at home we looked when we had the 4-3-3 the last few home games of the season, crikey we even started scoring.

Must be the most stubborn manager in my time supporting Walsall, has an idea and just will not budge.

4-2-3-1 has worked well away and there is a case for much of the same next season we have picked up good points away, a stronger home record could even dare us to dream. But the lack of striker, keates type ball winner in the middle and a commander at the back, we'll be sussed before long and teams will mix it with us and realise these guys are a nice sort of bunch and basically beat us by underhand tactics or call it professionalism if you will.

finish anywhere between 17th and 12th I think.........yawn[/quot

Agreed that we need a change of formation and agreed that we need more steel in the middle of the park. I think we all realise by now though that Smith won't change it up until the pressure is off. Once the pressure is on him again, he'll revert back to type. It's the only reason he tried 4-3-3 last year, once our league status was secure.

Given the fact he's likely to stick with 4-2-3-1, I don't see the harm in trying Baxendale in his favoured position as an alternative to Sawyers. Like I said previously, he was excellent there in his first season, and everyone was singing his praises when he signed that 3 year deal, which was a poor decision from the manager, granted. I just think it's harsh on the lad to be judged when he's so blatantly played out of position

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:41 pm

I don't get why some people still believe Baxendale can become a decent player.

What has he done in 3 years?

3 sodding years?

?

A couple of half decent performances here and there?

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:24 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I don't get why some people still believe Baxendale can become a decent player.

What has he done in 3 years?

3 sodding years?

?

A couple of half decent performances here and there?

Smith has been with us longer yet some people still think he's god so it's no surprise people think Baxendale we come good. I was with an albion fan yesterday and after 5 minutes of Bax coming on as sub my friend said 'he's like the kid at school who think's he's Pele during P.E and the teacher only puts up with him because of his enthusiasm' :lol:

As stated by another poster, I too worry about Bradshaw's hamstrings due to the fact he's so isolated upfront and has to run miles during a game to try and find space, play the 4-3-3 like we did towards the end of the season and that space becomes available due to other defenders being occupied, it really is not rocket science.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:26 pm

Although only friendlies saw nothing at telford or yesterday to make me think anything changed from last season, defence will struggle but somehow keep the goals down, bradshaw looks like billy no mates up front no creativity anywhere. Much improved when henry and morris came on linked well on left. Will finish mid table still need CB CM and striker.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:52 pm

saddler_nic wrote:I'm a fan of Sawyers but I do won

der what Baxendale has to do to get a chance in that number 10 position. Dean knows what he's capable playing there as he played him often enough in his first season. It's a massive season for Baxendsle, but if he's used correctly, he could really improve us, especially when Sawyers is having one of his poor spells

That was a problem with last year..

"Oh FFS Sawyers" was the most frequently used chant/phrase I heard all last season.

The lad was getting pelters, jeered off etc. yet Smith kept him in the firing line, making fans think he was un-droppable.

Either give Baxendale a chance or get rid, we either pay him what? £800 a week say or probably pay him off now for a lump sum of say 75% of that figure based on 10 months...

Everyone keeps talking about promotion** but sides that get promoted don't have hangers on...they spend wisely, use all their resources and get over the line using whatever manner.

**Oh and for the record, I've not heard a single fan mention promotion, thats the clubs Spiel.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:50 pm

Gripper wrote:

der what Baxendale has to do to get a chance in that number 10 position. Dean knows what he's capable playing there as he played him often enough in his first season. It's a massive season for Baxendsle, but if he's used correctly, he could really improve us, especially when Sawyers is having one of his poor spells

"Oh FFS Sawyers" was the most frequently used chant/phrase I heard all last season.

The lad was getting pelters, jeered off etc. yet Smith kept him in the firing line, making fans think he was un-droppable.

Either give Baxendale a chance or get rid, we either pay him what? £800 a week say or probably pay him off now for a lump sum of say 75% of that figure based on 10 months...

Everyone keeps talking about promotion** but sides that get promoted don't have hangers on...they spend wisely, use all their resources and get over the line using whatever manner.

**Oh and for the record, I've not heard a single fan mention promotion, thats the clubs Spiel.

That's exactly my point, it's pointless having a player shoehorned in the side to be played out of position and then left on the bench when, shock horror, he plays poorly. He might be terrible when played in the Number 10 position, even though he's had a good stint there in the past. It's just ridiculous to dismiss a player if he's not given a chance in his favoured position, and if it's not likely to happen, then cut your losses. It's not like we've got a shortage of players to play in the wide positions after all

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:55 pm

The problem with Sawyers is he simply doesn't produce the stats for the free rein he has in the side.

What was it last season, 3-4 goals and a similar number of assists? Not good enough.

He should be capable of near enough 10 league goals and a similar number of setting up Bradshaw's goals. I don't think that's an unrealistic demand as he does have talent clearly.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:19 pm

saddler_nic wrote:
Gripper wrote:

That's exactly my point, it's pointless having a player shoehorned in the side to be played out of position and then left on the bench when, shock horror, he plays poorly. He might be terrible when played in the Number 10 position, even though he's had a good stint there in the past. It's just ridiculous to dismiss a player if he's not given a chance in his favoured position, and if it's not likely to happen, then cut your losses. It's not like we've got a shortage of players to play in the wide positions after all

Yes mate I fully agree, as with your original post. Give him until Christmas, playing him where he should be, on a regular basis...if its not working out at least he can probably get a 6 month deal elswhere to earn something longer.

I remember against donny at home last season (Where he scored an absolute banger (Might've been his only goal?)) he was class...But I can't think of another game in which he was decent.

The more I sit here thinking about that...The more I think that might've been a game where Sawyers was on International duty...may be wrong though.

Either way, Play him or get rid.

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season