Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (H) League One, 22nd August, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Coventry City (H) League One, 22nd August, 3pm

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:18 pm

Here we go..... Walsall 2 Coventry City 1 ------ squeaky bum time fast approaches....

Elsewhere, it's Burton 2 Peterborough 0
Sheffield United 1 Blackpool 0
Crwho 2 Bury 3

Half an hour to go - any thoughts about substituting fresh legs Deano???

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:22 pm

Oldham v Shrews 1-0

Old news Matt....you can do much better than that!!! :wink:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:25 pm

Southend 0 Swindon Town 1 (64 min)

Substitution - Kieron Morris on for Anthony Forde (66 min)

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:26 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Oldham v Shrews 1-0

How are you logged in as me? :o :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:28 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Oldham v Shrews 1-0

How are you logged in as me? :o :D

:wink: I haven't got a clue !!!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:29 pm

Oldham Athletic 1 Shrewsbury Town 1 now

Sheffield United 2 Blackpool 0

20 minutes to go.....hold on lads

Ibehre scores for Carlisle

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:31 pm

Solihull Moors winning!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:33 pm

Vile losing. Scott Dann!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:33 pm

Crystal Palarse 1 Aston Vile 0 (Scott Dann !!!)

Another sub - Cook on for Lalkovic, 72 min

Attendance at the Banks's's's' 7,176

Vincelot booked for a bad foul on Lalkovic earlier, by the way

Crewe 3 Bury 3..... which leaves Blackpool all on their own at the foot of the table.

80 minutes - a long range shot from Demetriou hits the post !!!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:41 pm

Ding-Dong battle at Upton Park

Hammers 0-2 down, 2-2, now 2-4 vs Bournemuff - remember them?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:43 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Ding-Dong battle at Upton Park

Hammers 0-2 down, 2-2, now 2-4 vs Bournemuff - remember them?

Hammers are down to 10 men (red card job) :D

West Ham 3 Bournemouth 4 now...

Gillinhgham 2 Wigan Athletic 0 - R O'D couldn't save that penalty.....

Fleetwood having fun at home to Colchester, it's 4-0 now.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:51 pm

90 minutes - just the time added on to come.

Now's the time to play tippy-tappy possession football....

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:56 pm

FT 2-1. Brilliant result against another form team.

Roll on Blackpool next week!!!!! :P

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:56 pm

OH, THE RELIEF!!!!!!! Full time and it's 2-1 to the Saddlers.

We're 2nd in the table on goal difference from Gillingham. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Half-way towards MPSADDLER'S 20 point prediction, with only 42 games left..... :lol:

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:59 pm

Played em off the park is all I can say!!!

UTS!!!!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:01 pm

CCFC721 wrote:
Cuzo24 wrote:Don't forget it was coventry who plastered 'M6 El Classico ' everywhere last year. They looovvee it really :mrgreen:

You'll be pleased to know skyblueultra, the guy who makes them posters and videos, will be at the game today and will be asking Walsall fans for predictions before the game for his new video. He usually wears a scarf around his face to protect his identity and wears a white top with Skyblueultra on. I hope it doesn't turn out like his last away game where he got took away by the police for threatening a CCFC fan. He's unbelievable and you won't believe he's a fully grown man when you see him, he's a dad aswell. Imagine having to explain that to your mates.

Sounds like the second biggest pillock from Coventry then.

You better hope we aren't more clinical today!

Here's your backside, you can keep the plate, idiot.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CCFC721

Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:18 pm

What an outstanding manager Dean Smith is. No complaints, better team won. Shame Maddison got injured after 5 minutes - game plan went out the window as everything revolves around his smart play and there's no one who can play his role at the club.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:23 pm

CCFC721 wrote:What an outstanding manager Dean Smith is. No complaints, better team won. Shame Maddison got injured after 5 minutes - game plan went out the window as everything revolves around his smart play and there's no one who can play his role at the club.

I don't think a Walsall fan has ever uttered those words pal :lol:

fair play to him, I think Dean has wised up massively from last season and whatever he's doing is certainly working so far.

UTS

CCFC721

Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:27 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
CCFC721 wrote:What an outstanding manager Dean Smith is. No complaints, better team won. Shame Maddison got injured after 5 minutes - game plan went out the window as everything revolves around his smart play and there's no one who can play his role at the club.

fair play to him, I think Dean has wised up massively from last season and whatever he's doing is certainly working so far.

UTS

Really? The Walsall radio guy was on our radio station before the game and he said Walsall have a bottom 4 budget in this league, so he's an exceptional manager in my book

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:31 pm

CCFC721 wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:

UTS

Really? The Walsall radio guy was on our radio station before the game and he said Walsall have a bottom 4 budget in this league, so he's an exceptional manager in my book

We have a competitive budget in this division I'd say, nothing special but doubt it's close on the worst, just a load of bollocks from a radio station that forgets Walsall and doesn't really have any regular interest either.

League One regulars, we aren't a club hoping to stay up season after season the aim is the opposite, as it should be.

Been hit and miss with Smith in his time here to be fair, looking very good this time round though.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:43 pm

Excellent result today against a bogey team at home.

I wasn't completely sold on today's team when I saw it, no Henry starting for example and wasn't sure on Forde coming back either....

What seems to be working is Smith's early rotations upfront and out wide....already this season Cook, Milan, Morris and now Forde have all been rotated for different opposition which means they find it difficult to come up with game plans.

It's working and the defence is still looking as solid as ever. Shame Gills beat Rookie Manager FC.

Who've they got next week as my Sunday league team could beat Blackpool atm so I really don't see much problem up there.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:48 pm

Shocking. Absolutely shocking. Anyone else catch those braces sported by Stafflers?! Also, don't even get me started on the Footballer's musical palette; Jesus wept, Chesney, what a wishy-washy collection. No wonder the youth of today haven't got any fire in their bellies.

Everything else: excellent all round. Wide men and fullbacks linked up superbly all afternoon. O'Connor was faultless aside from his early distribution. Mantom looks back to his best, and in this formation, his energy gives us something of an inverted triangle in midfield when we've got the ball, as he gets right up alongside Sawyers. MOTM for me, though, was the magnificent Adam Chambers.

I got nervous every time Cov's number 7 (Fleck?) started to run with the ball. They had the customary short spell after our second goal, and agonisingly scored (a cracker) right at the end of it, just as I was thinking "clear this one and we've weathered that storm". This got their tails up, and they moderately battered us for the next ten minutes, but once we rode that out, it never felt like we were in any danger; Morris had everything but the finish at the end, and I don't think 3-1 would've flattered us.

Referee definitely had big(ger) club syndrome for the first hour: shouldn't there have been a tannoy or something to ease the confusion, explaining that Sawyers could foul, but couldn't be fouled.

I do love coming away from WS1 full of beans :D .

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:57 pm

What did I say after Tuesdays win? This is a team to be proud of currently, just seems to get better and better dow it! Just got in from a day out in Morecambe, which had everything, winter rain lashing down all morning followed by Florida sunshine and temperature in the PM...only in England Eh!
Roll on Blackpool, we could end up top of the League....whould of thunk it! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:09 pm

Fantastic all round display and a great game, one of the very best I've seen from a Dean Smith team. Well done Dean Smith and please let it continue.

O'Conner, Lalkovic Taylor, Demetriou and Chambers were all suitable choices for man of match.

Excellent, excellent, excellent!

:D

CCFC721

Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:10 pm

EvenFlow wrote:Shocking. Absolutely shocking. Anyone else catch those braces sported by Stafflers?! Also, don't even get me started on the Footballer's musical palette; Jesus wept, Chesney, what a wishy-washy collection. No wonder the youth of today haven't got any fire in their bellies.

Everything else: excellent all round. Wide men and fullbacks linked up superbly all afternoon. O'Connor was faultless aside from his early distribution. Mantom looks back to his best, and in this formation, his energy gives us something of an inverted triangle in midfield when we've got the ball, as he gets right up alongside Sawyers. MOTM for me, though, was the magnificent Adam Chambers.

I got nervous every time Cov's number 7 (Fleck?) started to run with the ball. They had the customary short spell after our second goal, and agonisingly scored (a cracker) right at the end of it, just as I was thinking "clear this one and we've weathered that storm". This got their tails up, and they moderately battered us for the next ten minutes, but once we rode that out, it never felt like we were in any danger; Morris had everything but the finish at the end, and I don't think 3-1 would've flattered us.

Referee definitely had big(ger) club syndrome for the first hour: shouldn't there have been a tannoy or something to ease the confusion, explaining that Sawyers could foul, but couldn't be fouled.

I do love coming away from WS1 full of beans :D .

Fleck? Running? He's definitely number 7 but he's usually useless and he attempts to play football at walking place. Don't be fooled, he's crap usually

*DOFFER*
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:23 pm

:lol: Offer here,

I am lost for words.............................................................................

:lol: Offer

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:27 pm

What an outstanding display that was. Coventry are nothing special. They offered absolutely nothing. They had a chance in the first half which was saved by Etheridge and scored a screamer. Otherwise they offered jack shite. I never felt we were under any real pressure at any point of the game.

We played with a swagger. We quite frankly took the piss at times. It was great to watch.

Etheridge - 7 - Had nothing to do but when he was called up he was solid. His kicking seems to have improved a lot since I first saw him (still not perfect mind you).

Demetriou - 9 - It was a toss up between Demetriou and Chambers for MOTM. He was outstanding. Good teams have quality attacking full backs and we have one of the best in league 1 here. Defensively he was solid too.

O'Connor - 8 - Solid, distribution was a little off at times but outstanding defensively.

Downing - 8 - Same as O'Connor.

Taylor - 8 - Solid and put some cracking balls into the box.

Mantom - 8 - Found his form again. apart from a couple of stray passes he played very well.

Chambers - 9 - Best game I've ever seen him play. Pulled the strings for us and broke up all of Coventry's play. Outstanding.

Lalkovic - 8 - Played well. Wouldn't have gave him MOTM myself but I couldn't complain. Worked his backside off and had their right back every time.

Forde - 8 - Scored and was very tidy on the ball. Defensively his tracking back was brilliant.

Sawyers - 7 - I'm a big Sawyers fan but today he wasn't on his normal game. He's way ahead of the majority of our team in terms of creative play and sometimes he tried the extravagant pass instead of keeping it simple. Still played fairly well and put in a shift.

Bradshaw - 9 - Took his goal really well and worked his arse off! Consistently fouled by their huge centre back but plugged away and got what he deserved!

SUBS
Morris - 7 - Very tidy on the ball. Should have scored!
Cook - 7 - Like Morris very tidy and did nothing wrong.

Referee was so biased to Coventry. Couldn't believe how one sided he was

Overall a deserved victory. Played them off the park. They were simply outclassed.

Dean Smith got it on point again today. Tactics were perfect.

Note on the atmostphere today too! Really enjoyable and seemed like there was a buzz around the place.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:38 pm

Very good performance, Lalko and Demetriou really stood out to be. Everyone else was solid with 7 or 8's.

Referee was an absolute joke, every time we (Sawyers in particular) brushed up against them it was an instant foul, but when we got thrown to the floor is similar or worse challenges it was waved away. Very frustrating.

Only downers was the racism I heard in block 6 directed towards Johnson and how fudge sweaty and hot it was, give me a Tuesday night in January over that weather any day!

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:00 pm

Most sane, rational people think this. Outside supporters, media, opposition staff all see the job he is doing based on the facts. Unfortunately one or two (and it is a minority regardless of amount the dirge that is posted on this board by some) think the same.

Fantastic victory today, fantastic performance and a new 14 year old converted Saddler!

When building a football club from a total embarrassing shambles it takes TIME & PATIENCE.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:03 pm

Great performance. The rent dodgers ain't a bad side and we were easily the best side.

The ref was a tosser.

Keep it up Smith and I could be changing my mind :mrgreen:

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season