Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol City (A) League One, Sun 3 May, 12.15pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Re: Bristol City (A) League One, Sun 3 May, 12.15pm

Sun May 03, 2015 4:29 pm

Pathetic.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun May 03, 2015 4:43 pm

Sound_out wrote:Pathetic.

You certainly are.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun May 03, 2015 5:10 pm

TheSwift wrote:Awards Dinner tonight ...

I wonder how many of today's team show up?

Probably just O'Donnell, Bradshaw and Henry to pick up their awards.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sun May 03, 2015 5:14 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Like that post, PT - for those who didn't go to the game, it'd be easy to think it was a gutless performance when it genuinely wasn't. In actual fact, I'd take a couple of positives from today, which are as follows...

1. To those who claimed we lost at Wembley because of Smith's poor team selection, today you saw just how good a side we were playing. You'll hate me for saying it again, but 2-0 at Wembley was no disgrace.

2. Smith also saw today how you assemble a good League One side. A system that works, and a small but well-formed squad of players. I'm not by any means saying that we'll have the budget to sign the likes of Flint, Freeman, and Agard in the summer, but this quantity over quality nonsense has to stop.

3. That back four just doesn't work. The record of late has been pretty good, but we essentially get bullied far too easily. The fact a single centre half has scored four goals against us this season should tell Smith all he needs to know about where he needs to strengthen.

Still, we were always going to be up against it today given the way they've swaggered to the league title. If we learned a few things today that we can put right over the summer, that's fine by me.

Agree with most of that. Hopefully the fact that the centre back scored a hatrick from corners today will make the penny drop that we might need a bit of height in our team, but as you say, as long as we can learn from today and this season, then that's fine!

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Sun May 03, 2015 5:29 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Sound_out wrote:Pathetic.

You certainly are.

Ahh bore off yer sad old pervert! :lol:

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun May 03, 2015 6:20 pm

I wasn't really aware how much their players must've been earning until I walked through their car park...Christ. Oh to dream.

The post above about the positives is spot on, as mentioned on another thread, we weren't nowhere near as bad as we were at Barnsley.

Not one to slag off our support but I thought we should've taken more today than the 500odd.

dajw_my_son
UTS Regular

Sun May 03, 2015 6:39 pm

TheSwift wrote:Awards dinner tonight...

Hope they don't serve After Eights tonight :D

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun May 03, 2015 7:34 pm

Smith still learning then..... fudge me

How many seasons foes this boring learning curve go on for?

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Sun May 03, 2015 9:20 pm

Agree with PT, Macgillivray wasn't really at fault with any of the goals apart from maybe the eighth, although it did take a deflection right in front of him.

For the first 50 minutes or so we went toe to toe with the best team in the division, but a mad 10 minutes where they were clinical and we were poor killed us off.

Just a point on Aaaae's comment following our discussion on the 'height v aggression' point, Flint did score a hat-trick however the first was a worldy left-foot volley from outside the box and the other two were tap-ins with his foot from inside the six yard box. Not towering headers. You may have misunderstood my original point, but what I was trying to say that just being tall doesn't guarantee you're effective in the air, Flint has a combination of the two which has led to him scoring 15 goals this season! I still maintain that it's no good just being tall, it needs to be combined with aggression and determination in the box. Andy Butler had the aggression and determination, despite not being the tallest and was our most potent threat from set-plays because of this.

In a perfect world a 6ft 6 aggressive centre-half like Flint is perfect, however I would feel much more comfortable having a 5ft 11 Andy Butler type defender who you know will attack the ball both defensively and offensively, rather than a 6ft 5 beanpole who will just fall over at the first sign of physical contact. Is that such a ridiculous point to make?

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun May 03, 2015 9:30 pm

To ship 8 against any team in the world is pathetic.
Who is the captain, who is the manager?
Ship 'em out immediately FFS.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sun May 03, 2015 9:45 pm

In some ways I'm glad this result happened today as it will remove any complacency that we don't need to rebuild over the summer. We need a dominant centre-half, a decent right-back, a hard-tackling central midfielder, a striker to support Bradshaw (could be Hiwula) and another winger who can beat a full-back. I would get rid of at least one, if not both Chambers brothers, Grimes, Cook, Purkiss and Benning. I would also get rid of O'Donnell, even if he doesn't leave of his own accord, as he is being an ungrateful so-and-so after what we've done for him, and he's a bit of a "Dracula" (afraid of crosses). I would look to sign an experienced keeper such as Owon Fon Williams from Tranmere. For once, I hope we get some early signings over the summer and not wait until late July when we pick up the dregs no one else wants. There's no excuse this year: we should have around £700k from the JPT and Deeney add-on. This summer will prove whether Deano can indeed take us forward.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sun May 03, 2015 9:47 pm

Floodgates-gate :(

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun May 03, 2015 10:02 pm

saddlertd wrote:In some ways I'm glad this result happened today as it will remove any complacency that we don't need to rebuild over the summer. We need a dominant centre-half, a decent right-back, a hard-tackling central midfielder, a striker to support Bradshaw (could be Hiwula) and another winger who can beat a full-back. I would get rid of at least one, if not both Chambers brothers, Grimes, Cook, Purkiss and Benning. I would also get rid of O'Donnell, even if he doesn't leave of his own accord, as he is being an ungrateful so-and-so after what we've done for him, and he's a bit of a "Dracula" (afraid of crosses). I would look to sign an experienced keeper such as Owon Fon Williams from Tranmere. For once, I hope we get some early signings over the summer and not wait until late July when we pick up the dregs no one else wants. There's no excuse this year: we should have around £700k from the JPT and Deeney add-on. This summer will prove whether Deano can indeed take us forward.

Agree on every word of that other than the O'Donnell criticism (albeit Fon Williams is a good shout as replacement).

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun May 03, 2015 11:11 pm

Tom_1992 wrote:In a perfect world a 6ft 6 aggressive centre-half like Flint is perfect, however I would feel much more comfortable having a 5ft 11 Andy Butler type defender who you know will attack the ball both defensively and offensively, rather than a 6ft 5 beanpole who will just fall over at the first sign of physical contact. Is that such a ridiculous point to make?

No, fair enough, but if you have a 5'11" player going for a header against a 6'4" player of equal ability who would win the ball?

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Sun May 03, 2015 11:24 pm

aaaae wrote:
Tom_1992 wrote:In a perfect world a 6ft 6 aggressive centre-half like Flint is perfect, however I would feel much more comfortable having a 5ft 11 Andy Butler type defender who you know will attack the ball both defensively and offensively, rather than a 6ft 5 beanpole who will just fall over at the first sign of physical contact. Is that such a ridiculous point to make?

No, fair enough, but if you have a 5'11" player going for a header against a 6'4" player of equal ability who would win the ball?

Completely agree the 6ft 4 lad all day long, I just hope Deano can get that type of 'Aden Flint' player in the summer. Where from? That's what the management team get paid for I suppose! :D

UTS Legend

Mon May 04, 2015 12:59 am

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon May 04, 2015 1:16 am

Thanks for that.
Pathetic.
Professional footballers my arse.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon May 04, 2015 3:06 am

We should have gone for them at Wembley, they said.
They aren't that good, they said.
2-0 was a disgrace, they said.

:D

paddy
UTS Veteran

Mon May 04, 2015 6:52 am

Disgraceful the way the goals were conceded

you wouldn't see defending like that over on the local parks pitches

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon May 04, 2015 7:35 am

paddy wrote:Disgraceful the way the goals were conceded

you wouldn't see defending like that over on the local parks pitches

A couple of epic strikes in the mix, but we did seem a bit slow footed.

Cully
Site Addict

Mon May 04, 2015 8:39 am

Imagine my relief when I heard that 'the lads' had had 'a bad day at the office' after that record defeat in living memory. Conceding eight 'is a learning process' for all pure footballing teams that 'play the right way'

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon May 04, 2015 11:51 am

Cully wrote:Imagine my relief when I heard that 'the lads' had had 'a bad day at the office' after that record defeat in living memory. Conceding eight 'is a learning process' for all pure footballing teams that 'play the right way'

I thought you'd be more upset, but it seems you have been mollified by the use of some appropriate language.

UTS Legend

Mon May 04, 2015 12:46 pm

O'Donnell should have played. The score might have been the same, and his agent would have found it more difficult to get the 'right' deal.

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Mon May 04, 2015 12:53 pm

Have you noticed how City's 1st, 6th and 7th are almost identical.
It is criminal that we fell for the same corner routine 3 times!

Cully
Site Addict

Mon May 04, 2015 1:10 pm

Enniskillen wrote:Have you noticed how City's 1st, 6th and 7th are almost identical.
It is criminal that we fell for the same corner routine 3 times!

6th and 7th are absolutely nothing to do with Smith, he is blameless after Saigon encased him within a lead shield after half time.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Mon May 04, 2015 1:49 pm

So the players are of on their holly bobs after playing one hour of the last game of the season, and that's down to the manager?????

Ah, now I understand :roll: :roll:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon May 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Good job you lot weren't around in 1983...Buckley would have gone and the glorious years that followed might not have happened!! One off defeats like this come around every decade so get over it and look forward to a summer of team building.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Mon May 04, 2015 3:46 pm

one of the best atmospheres i have even been apart of.. was a joy to be there.

itasaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon May 04, 2015 4:16 pm

brummie saddler wrote:one of the best atmospheres i have even been apart of.. was a joy to be there.

Completely agree, has to be one of the best away games I have been to also, and I never thought I would ever say anything like that after such a heavy defeat.

Thought it was a good game, I was very impressed with our first half performance.

I would rather we had a go at them like we did rather than play for a boring 0-0 draw. I don't think anybody could have predicted that mad half hour, having said that though I bet Cotterill gave them a dressing down at half time there was no way he was going to let his team get away with anything other than a win on their last game.

bangsection
Site Addict

Mon May 04, 2015 6:17 pm

Touch confused by this thread. Lots of people who didn't go seem to be very angry. But lots of people who did go seem to have had a whale of a time.

Is there really nobody who attended yesterday's game willing to condemn the team, the manager and the performance in the strongest possible terms, perhaps using CAPITAL LETTERS and words like SHAMBLES, EMBARRASSMENT, NADIR and VANARAMA CONFERENCE?

Are we really to believe that there wasn't a burning pile of season tickets illuminating the murderous visages of the long-suffering handful who stayed to jeer our sparrow-hearted collection of pygmies from the field?

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season