Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol City (A) League One, Sun 3 May, 12.15pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: Bristol City (A) League One, Sun 3 May, 12.15pm

Sun May 03, 2015 1:14 pm

Can we say that at least we now know MacGillivray isn't ready yet? Better a lesson learned in this nothing fixture than day one of next season.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sun May 03, 2015 1:15 pm

Oops

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun May 03, 2015 1:16 pm

4143 wrote:Can we say that at least we now know MacGillivray isn't ready yet? Better a lesson learned in this nothing fixture than day one of next season.

Experienced keeper should be brought in regardless even if their hadn't been many goals today.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun May 03, 2015 1:17 pm

Absolutely disgraceful.

I would fine each and every single person involved in that today - including the manager.

Embarrassment. Unprofessional. Disgusting.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sun May 03, 2015 1:19 pm

very embarrassing to be honest
anyone that can justify an 8-2 drubbing of their team no matter at what stage of the season needs to seriously look at themselves.
so glad the season has ended a lot to do in the summer to get this team mid table again especially with the goalkeeper who was dubbed the next joe hart by our manager probably being the number 1 goalkeeper!
hope he aint put his back out this afternoon

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun May 03, 2015 1:19 pm

Was the young keeper cack or was it just the team in front of him?

UTS Legend

Sun May 03, 2015 1:20 pm

Guest wrote:I agree with Soton Saddler. 2-0 to Walsall. Revenge for Wembley. Then we can all moan about why we didn't play like that at Wembley.

Must have got the 0 mixed up with an 8. Thank God we didn't play like that at Wembley!

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun May 03, 2015 1:21 pm

Neuromantic wrote:Absolutely disgraceful.

I would fine each and every single person involved in that today - including the manager.

Embarrassment. Unprofessional. Disgusting.

Was only a matter of time. Yawn

SMITH OUT

How about you think about the fans of Yeovil, Leyton Orient, Notts County & Crawley & consider your use of the word embarrassment?

We were 'embarrassed' at Wembley as well apparently. Honestly, tiresome. In the grand scheme of things it's a final day mauling against the champions - happens up and down the country every year; deal with it.
Last edited by funk_hits_the_fan on Sun May 03, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun May 03, 2015 1:22 pm

Apparently Wembley was shameful...

UTS Legend

Sun May 03, 2015 1:27 pm

Anybody want me to post the FLS 'highlights' later? (Bristol fans need not apply.)

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun May 03, 2015 1:27 pm

I'm not going to say anything I've not been saying for the last 8 months - if you believe Dean Smith will ever get a team near the playoffs, stick by him, if you can't (like me), then you see no point in him staying on.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun May 03, 2015 1:28 pm

Forget the result, who gives a cack.

That was one of my best away fan experiences, we were a credit to the team, out sung the champions who were shite, no chants, nothing. The creativity on display with some of our chants had me in stitches! fudge class, well done lads, fudge the football that was much more entertaining!
Last edited by JonnyOwen on Sun May 03, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun May 03, 2015 1:30 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Forget the result, who gives a shot.

That was one of my best away fan experiences, we were a credit to the team, out sung the champions who were shite, no chants, nothing. The creativity on display with some of our chants had me in stitches! fudge class, well done lads, fudge the football that was much more entertaining!

Brilliant to hear - how many did we take?

Well done all the saddlers that went

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun May 03, 2015 1:32 pm

All you fools who think we will be ok without O'donnell just look a this result. Told you we will ship goals. :lol:

kshammer
Site Addict

philthesaddler wrote:I'm not going to say anything I've not been saying for the last 8 months - if you believe Dean Smith will ever get a team near the playoffs, stick by him, if you can't (like me), then you see no point in him staying on.

Never saw that coming.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:Forget the result, who gives a shot.

Brilliant to hear - how many did we take?

Well done all the saddlers that went

Singing more than the champions when losing 8-2, very well done.

Took about 550 odd according to the announcer

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sun May 03, 2015 1:33 pm

Awards dinner tonight...

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun May 03, 2015 1:34 pm

tipton saddler wrote:All you fools who think we will be ok without O'donnell just look a this result. Told you we will ship goals. :lol:

What were the goals we conceded like? Keeper errors? I haven't been at the game myself.

paddy
UTS Veteran

Sun May 03, 2015 1:35 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I'm not going to say anything I've not been saying for the last 8 months - if you believe Dean Smith will ever get a team near the playoffs, stick by him, if you can't (like me), then you see no point in him staying on.

+1

We'll never make the play offs with Smith in charge. Yet there'll be some fans saying we can......deluded

Wouldn't fault the keeper, 10 players in front of him. Defending starts from the front or suppose to. At least he's got 2 months to get over it

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun May 03, 2015 1:35 pm

I'm sorry but to concede eight in any match against any opposition anytime is shameful.

However, I am glad that the 8-1 against Bolton was mentioned.
It is true that creative, footballing teams can be shown to have a soft underbelly.
But that is no excuse for having one foot on the holiday flight.

That could quite conceivably been the result at Wembley (and don't tell me it couldn't)
We're just fortunate this was a dead rubber than can be dismissed as end of season nonsense by the idle.

Are we going to respond to that like the Walsall of 1983/4 or even Birmingham?
Or are we going to be more like Sunderland?
It's the response to this that's more important than the result.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun May 03, 2015 1:36 pm

kshammer wrote:
tipton saddler wrote:All you fools who think we will be ok without O'donnell just look a this result. Told you we will ship goals. :lol:

What were the goals we conceded like? Keeper errors? I haven't been at the game myself.

According to WM he was at fault for one of the eight!
It was hardly Petterson.

SWS1

Sun May 03, 2015 1:39 pm

We was doing great at 2 - 2, then they went and got 6 lucky goals. And the ref was pony and trap. And 5 of their goals were offside/a foul/a fluke/ in-off the ref.
We wuz robbed! :evil:
Smithin. :D

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun May 03, 2015 1:40 pm

leics_saddler wrote:
kshammer wrote:

According to WM he was at fault for one of the eight!
It was hardly Petterson.

So the O'Donnell comments are null and void if that's the case.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun May 03, 2015 1:40 pm

Quick word on MacGillivray, I'd say he was responsible for the 8th, that's about it, haven't seem them back though.

Defending, especially from the full backs were atrocious. If you're slaughtering and writing off a young goalie with good potential when you haven't even seen the game, you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun May 03, 2015 1:44 pm

Well put Leics saddler ...I remember the 8-1 at Bolton very well and we recovered well from that..lets hope we can do the same. We have some good players here but we we need to strengthen in the Summer . The board will have to do their job and make sure we have more firepower.

UTS Legend

Sun May 03, 2015 1:54 pm

Could things be any worse? Our worst result for 32 years. MK Dons go up and Colchester stay up.

PT
Site Addict

Sun May 03, 2015 2:11 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Quick word on MacGillivray, I'd say he was responsible for the 8th, that's about it, haven't seem them back though.

Defending, especially from the full backs were atrocious. If you're slaughtering and writing off a young goalie with good potential when you haven't even seen the game, you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

Completely agree.

How anyone can comment on the goalie'so performance when they weren't there is a nonsense.

Also, all this "embarrassment" bollocks is just that. Bristol City got promoted by winning by a six goal margin away at Bradford and the Bradford fans simply conceded they lost to a much better side.

We were in the game for an hour and had a go.

My only concern coming out of today is that it will spook Smith over the summer. He had found a second way over the last month or so and it was working well until the last half an hour today. He shouldn't let that half an hour overly cloud his summer thinking. It was an aberration of quite startling proportions but only an aberration in what has been a promising close to the season.

I still think Smith blew it this season not because of today, but because it took him until the last month to change the way we played, the much sought after Plan B if you will. Bristol City, MK, Preston and Swindon (until the last month) apart, this league was poor and to finish in the bottom half of it is a poor poor show and another wasted opportunity.

I hope he and O'kelly have to present a formal review to the board (exactly what happens in most organisations) and they can convince the board that their thinking has moved on in twelve months to the point where the board are happy that these are the men to lead us into another season where this league will again be distinctly average at best. If they can't make a sufficiently strong case (and I'd love to hear it!) it should be "thank you and goodbye". Won't happen, but it should.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun May 03, 2015 3:43 pm

Simple really -

The Board - "We want you to finish higher next season than this."
Smith & O'Kelly - "OK - give us more money."
The Board - "Erm - 14th place and a Wembley cup final will do just fine..."

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun May 03, 2015 3:48 pm

Like that post, PT - for those who didn't go to the game, it'd be easy to think it was a gutless performance when it genuinely wasn't. In actual fact, I'd take a couple of positives from today, which are as follows...

1. To those who claimed we lost at Wembley because of Smith's poor team selection, today you saw just how good a side we were playing. You'll hate me for saying it again, but 2-0 at Wembley was no disgrace.

2. Smith also saw today how you assemble a good League One side. A system that works, and a small but well-formed squad of players. I'm not by any means saying that we'll have the budget to sign the likes of Flint, Freeman, and Agard in the summer, but this quantity over quality nonsense has to stop.

3. That back four just doesn't work. The record of late has been pretty good, but we essentially get bullied far too easily. The fact a single centre half has scored four goals against us this season should tell Smith all he needs to know about where he needs to strengthen.

Still, we were always going to be up against it today given the way they've swaggered to the league title. If we learned a few things today that we can put right over the summer, that's fine by me.
Last edited by WFC_Rob on Sun May 03, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun May 03, 2015 3:49 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:So bad I've got to concede this day to Ancient Moaner....he predicted it could be a record third division score. :lol:

8-2.

I didn't really mean it to happen!! Though anyone unfortunate enough to see our drubbing at Barnsley, will have little doubt that a mauling like this would happen sooner or later.

The recent results have been an unfortunate smokescreen, over the fact that we are cack..end of!

Major changes (mostly managerial) MUST happen in the close season...otherwise it's more of the same over and over and over..........getting tiresome now

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season