Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (H) League One 25 Apr, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Oldham Athletic (H) League One 25 Apr, 3pm

Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:42 pm

Isn't Cain out of contract in the summer?

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:59 pm

Chomper wrote:
windowman wrote:
Sadsfan wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
Sadsfan wrote:A 5-0 win against one of the worst teams I've seen in a long time. Do you think Crawley were a good side? Why the personal insults about my numeracy and comprehension? What I actually said is that over the season I've seen nothing to suggest Smith is anything other than average, not that we have not had any good performances. Just look at our home record over the last 2 seasons and see what the WLD F A is and prove that is anything other than average. Obviously I can't do it myself as I'm innumerate. I await to see what your next insult is.

I'm picking you up because I don't think what you are saying is true. You said you'd seen nothing to suggest Dean Smith was anything other than an average manager. I gave 3 counterexamples of performances that suggest otherwise. I could give more from other seasons.

You then tried to get out of this and I highlighted your sophistry. If you don't like it, don't post things you can't back up in the first place. You are continuing to try to get out of it by now referring to our home record over the last two seasons which ignores injuries, the task of replacing Grigg, Brandy, Westcarr and Paterson and other limitations Dean Smith has to work under. This is very different to your original argument where you said you'd seen nothing to suggest Dean Smith was anything other than an average manager.

PS please take up your Crawley were the worst side argument with PhiltheSaddler who being in relegation battle at the time should have provided some of the hardest opposition so far this season.

I'm not interested in Phil, and I can back up my argument. Just look at the home stats for just this season then, is that not average? W8 D8 L7 F28 A24.

looks average to me, dont think that tells the storey of how poor most games have been, think if we could put one net by the dug outs and one by the family stand we would make the play offs

Looks slightly above average to me!

Sorry to go against the grain, but those home performance statistics are most certainly BELOW average.

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:02 am

chesterperry wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Just because we have an average set of results and finish mid table, doesn't necessarily mean that the manager is average.

Look at the relative income and expenditure of other clubs in our league. Ask yourselves why we cannot keep our decent players?

Those that are dissatisfied with the performance / league status should aim their bile at the owner of the club.

And that my friend is the most sense posted in a long while.

Agree

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:09 am

Good first half and fully deserved the two goal lead. However, it was never a penalty. Inch perfect tackle by the defender, although it is about time we had a bit of luck in that sort if decision.

Second half was poor-ish. We seemed to lose the control that our midfield had when A.Chambers went off. Flanagan was non-existant.

MacGillivray looked comfortable. Never really tested but did what he and to do well. I think he's got a bright future ahead of him.
Benning played well. I think he's worth another year as a squad player next season.
Morris definitely has to be offered a deal for next season, this lad is the reason for our turn in form,
Hiwula, has changed m mind recently. I thought when he first signed that, ok he scored a couple, but wasn't really up to much. But the last few games he's vastly improved in my eyes. I think we should try and get him on a season long loan next season.

Pleasing afternoon, great to see our last home game off with a win.

Oh, and was there any reason why a MOTM wasn't announced?

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:28 am

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Oh, and was there any reason why a MOTM wasn't announced?

I'm sure they said it was Bradshaw as he was being substituted

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:05 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Benning played well. I think he's worth another year as a squad player next season.

I've got nothing against Benning as a person, but I'd release him at the end of the season, regardless. If we're working to the 'two players per position' theory, Taylor and Henry are the two left backs, with any two of Morris, Henry, Forde, Cook or Hiwula (if we re-sign him) the options further up the pitch.

Signing too many 'squad players' has been Smith's downfall over the last three years, and it's important he doesn't fall for the same mistake again this summer. As decent as Benning's looked over the last couple of games, there's no room for sentiment - not on our budget anyway.

SWS1

Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:51 pm

Benning is still a young, developing player. I'd like to see us keep him a bit longer to see how he progresses. Moreover, I think we should capitalise more on our local Asian population: I'd like to see a lot more coming forward for our academy, for instance.
BTW, the way our reserves and younger players have been performing lately should give rise to a bit of optimism, shouldn't it?
:D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:05 pm

SWS1 wrote:Moreover, I think we should capitalise more on our local Asian population

We have done, but on Sunday mornings rather than Saturday afternoons :D

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:29 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Wyrley_saddler wrote:Benning played well. I think he's worth another year as a squad player next season.

I've got nothing against Benning as a person, but I'd release him at the end of the season, regardless. If we're working to the 'two players per position' theory, Taylor and Henry are the two left backs, with any two of Morris, Henry, Forde, Cook or Hiwula (if we re-sign him) the options further up the pitch.

Signing too many 'squad players' has been Smith's downfall over the last three years, and it's important he doesn't fall for the same mistake again this summer. As decent as Benning's looked over the last couple of games, there's no room for sentiment - not on our budget anyway.

I'd agree with this.

The signing squad players is a good point. I never see the point of them really... for a club like us i'd always spend my budget predominantly on players good enough to play every week and let the youngsters be the backup squad players. That way they get regular minutes on the pitch and worst case scenario, you may need a loan now and again to top the squad up.

If our squad players did a job then fair enough, but they're always cack and offer no more than our youngsters would.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:33 pm

kshammer wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

I'd agree with this.

The signing squad players is a good point. I never see the point of them really... for a club like us i'd always spend my budget predominantly on players good enough to play every week and let the youngsters be the backup squad players. That way they get regular minutes on the pitch and worst case scenario, you may need a loan now and again to top the squad up.

If our squad players did a job then fair enough, but they're always cack and offer no more than our youngsters would.

I think the point could be that, at this stage in their development, it might be too early to say which of Benning and Henry will make it all the way to full potential and, therefore, if we think both have a chance, we would want to keep them both.

I thought Benning was excellent on Saturday, a real difference between the two teams in that first half and he was a constant outlet for a pass. Based just on that display, releasing Benning at this stage could come back to haunt us and plenty will have something to say on here if he goes and then gets sold on for £x million at some later date!

I know he divides opinion, but you have to give Dean Smith and the whole management team a lot of credit for the way they bring youngsters through and, in the medium term, improve them greatly, providing they have the right attitude.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:22 pm

Benning hasn't shown enough consistently to prove he's worth anything other than maybe a pay as you play/6 month deal.

My release list in the summer consists of;

Chambers x2 (Ageing, legs going, don't do enough - especially Adam considering they are 'senior' pros. Don't lead)
Benning (As above, generally woeful when playing against a winger with remote skill/pace. Not a winger either)
Grimes (Poor signing, as expected in the summer)
Flanagan (Looks too weak. Could develop but he hasn't done anything to suggest he's close to league 1 standard)

Additions.
24-28 year old 6ft2+ Centre Back that can win headers high up the pitch, leads the defence and is actually vocal.
24-28 year old hard Central Midfielder with a bit of a grit. Does Chambers apparent defensive job but gets up the pitch and creates.
18-22 year old naturally quick/nippy player that can play anywhere across the frontline. Hiwula would be perfect.

Side next year with nobody leaving (in theory).

O'Donnell

Purkiss
O'Connor
New CB/Downing
Henry (Taylor)

Cain
Mantom
New Midfielder

Morris (Cook)
Bradshaw (Sawyers/Bakayoko)
Hiwula (Forde)

Releasing both Chambers and Flanagan may leave us short in midfield, especially if Cain doesn't sign permanently or come back to play for us again at all. That front 6 looks pretty good to me, providing we sign the right kind of midfielder and someone with natural pace upfront, we are VERY slow, if talented in that department.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:38 am

My concern about Benning is that he's doing what they all do - play well for the last handful of games to earn a new deal before reverting back to type (I think it's called the Fitzroy Simpson ploy).

For me he just isn't a full back as he can't defend and so, while i'd love him to prove me wrong and become a good player for us, I just see every minute he'd play next season as being one that holds Rico back.

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season