Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (A) League One Tues Apr 21 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Swindon Town (A) League One Tues Apr 21 7.45pm

Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:42 pm

It sounded like a very exciting game. Sure, we were 2-0 up but we attacked throughout and Sawyers/Bradshaw nearly won it for us at the death.

Pleased with the point and hopefully a sign of better things to come next season.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Full Time 3-3.

Sounded a very good game, 'basketball game' according to WM. There keeper kept us out and we smashed the post right at the very end. Good point, ending the season with some momentum and good form. Good to see. Big summer ahead for Smith.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Shame they couldn't win that, the top half still remains elusive.

Maybe on Saturday with goals at last this season.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:52 pm

Good result. Sounds like it was an entertaining game. Looking forward to the reports of our crab like football from the travelling faithful.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:15 pm

Walsall F.C. scoring three goals.....away from home at that, AND, AND, other players, NOT called Bradshaw, Bradshaw, or even Bradshaw, actually scored goals too!!! My word I've died and gone to heaven toboot! Looking forward to another season in division three, with Blackpool & Wiggin, regrettably not Bury after their disasterous home defeat tonight.
Thanks for grassing me up Belg, love yow!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great result lads, and played a blinder by all reports, dizzy heights of 14th! we're so high we'll be getting nose bleeds!! :D :D

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:20 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:Sawyers!!! Blinkin' Heck. Could this be a PLAN B???

Or maybe this is (from BBC text);

28:41 Purkiss (Walsall) wins free kick on left wing.

followed by

47:36 Benning (Walsall) wins free kick on right wing.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:32 pm

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:03 pm

Just seen all the goals.

1) Morris's is a total fluke.
2) Lovely finish from Hiwula, confident infront of goal, lovely smooth finish. Sign him up on a season long loan.
3) The 1st penalty is an absolute total fudge farce, never in a million years is that a penalty.
4) Second penalty is a stick on IMO.
5) Lovely interception a cross from Purkiss, that finish from Sawyers is harder than it looks.
6) Poor defending to allow a man that much space, but what on earth is O'Donnell doing? Needs strong work on his claiming/commanding of the box if he stays in the summer. He cost us 2 goals at Wembley and the Chesterfield goal a couple of weeks back being glued to his line.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:31 pm

It was a pretty level first half, the difference being the two goalkeepers. Ours made two very good saves in the first 10 minutes when they were on top, mainly due to their right winger running Benning ragged. He always seemed to have 10 metres of space. Their keeper then fumbled Morris' shot into the net for 1-0.

Second half we were much the better side. The second goal was a good finish by Jordy having pounced on a defensive mistake. From there it was looking easy. Then that fudge of a referee gave the most laughable penalty I have seen in donkeys years 2-1.

Swindon got a lift from that and got another soft penalty, however this time, there were not too many protests from our players.

The game then became very stretched.

Sawyers goal was a cracker but their third was very disappointing. Firstly, the free kick given away by Forde was unnecessary and a bit thick. It was more a body check than a tackle. The defending was woeful and they were lining up to score.

End to end after that. Overall, a really enjoyable game only spoilt by a complete twerp of a referee.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:23 am

Highlights -

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPuRkhTgJww[/youtube]

Our first goal - shows what can happen if you take a shots from range.

Their first penalty - WTF!

Their third goal - we definitely don't need a big centre half - definitely not. We do not need extra height in defence - nothing to see here move along.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:34 pm

If that was our first look at next season, what have we learnt?

Morris has done more in 5 games than some players have done all season - keep
Hiwula has an uncanny knack of scoring, especially when in the correct position - loan
Benning is completely out of his depth when defending - play wide left or release
Forde's contribution was to get booked and give away the equaliser - release, you might as well play Benning there instead of him.

And bear in mind we might have some stars in our U18 team, get some of them on the bench in these last two games.
They must have an idea who are likely to make the grade.

However, it is painfully obvious that we need a spine in the team. A man who leads the line, one who can command a defence and one in midfield.
The only component of the spine we have is O'Donnell and he might well be off.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:16 pm

leics_saddler wrote:If that was our first look at next season, what have we learnt?

Morris has done more in 5 games than some players have done all season - keep
Hiwula has an uncanny knack of scoring, especially when in the correct position - loan
Benning is completely out of his depth when defending - play wide left or release
Forde's contribution was to get booked and give away the equaliser - release, you might as well play Benning there instead of him.

And bear in mind we might have some stars in our U18 team, get some of them on the bench in these last two games.
They must have an idea who are likely to make the grade.

However, it is painfully obvious that we need a spine in the team. A man who leads the line, one who can command a defence and one in midfield.
The only component of the spine we have is O'Donnell and he might well be off.

Release Forde :lol: He's 21, will make the odd mistake and this is his first proper season. He along with Morris are our most gifted wingers! Forde offers a bit of pace, takes the best freekick in the entire team and has more than a trick up his sleeve. Have no idea what Smith has against him, deserves to start over Cook/Benning/Hiwula (play him upfront) in that position.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:03 pm

I doubt Smith has anything against him-young players need resting sometime. I agree he is a good player and more will expected of him next year. Don't forget neither Forde or Cook has a pre season with us so if they don't get injured in the Summer build up this year I hope we will see more consistent performances from both of them.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:42 pm

Forde has gone quiet lately but had a very good spell around xmas so no chance he gets released. :lol:

Really don't see a future for Benning at all, he's getting worse and worse at LB and with Rico Henry's emergence this season and Taylor still here for next season he's not worth keeping and will probably got the same way as Sansara.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:05 pm

I can't add much more to the match report than what chestersaddler has posted already - understandable since I was sitting next to him. One or two niggly points have crossed my mind though:

1. We played in our standard away strip of black and yellow - the referee also had black and yellow, just the other way round (he had a yellow shirt and black shorts) - and on two or three occasions I noticed that a Walsall player trying to pass in a hurry because of pressure successfully found the referee with slide rule accuracy.

2. That first "penalty"......If the referee awarded the penalty because of O'Donnell's challenge, and O'Donnell was adjudged to have taken "the last man" then surely he would have received a red card. As he didn't receive even a yellow card I can't think what was going through the referee's mind. UNLESS he decided to award the penalty because of the challenge immediately before the collision with O'Donnell, where the Swindon player stayed on his feet - it's a tricky one. I can't think that any referee would penalise O'Donnell, when all he did was a standard goalkeeping manoevre of diving at a player's feet (and very bravely, too).

3. We have scored 9 goals in our last 3 League One games. We had more attempts on goal than Swindon. We had more than twice their number of "on target" attempts. We had LESS possession. Food for thought?

4. We didn't win because of (a) Forde's blatant and unnecessary body check which resulted in the Swindon free kick, and (b) O'Donnell's failure to command his 6-yard area from that kick. He came off his line but was caught in no man's land as the ball flew past him.

All in all, a highly entertaining game. Swindon's players may have had their eyes on the play-offs, where they do have a guaranteed place, but at the same time many of them did appear to be saving themselves physically. The only exception was their right midfielder Byrne (No. 3) who ran our defence ragged time after time. O'Donnell's shot-stopping heroics kept us in the game in the first half, and when we went 0-2 up in the second half it should have been game over and it would have been but for the bizarre double-penalty period. Dean Smith has every right to be fuming, certainly at the first decision.

Sawyers' goal doesn't look like much to write home about from the highlights viewing, but the speed at which the whole move was executed and the precision of the passes and the cross followed by Sawyers whacking the ball into the net was very impressive seen from a distance.

Of the 9 goals scored in our last 3 matches, only 1 has come from Tom Bradshaw - I find that a highly positive aspect.

UTS :D

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:18 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Forde has gone quiet lately but had a very good spell around xmas so no chance he gets released. :lol:

Really don't see a future for Benning at all, he's getting worse and worse at LB and with Rico Henry's emergence this season and Taylor still here for next season he's not worth keeping and will probably got the same way as Sansara.

Why would he go the "same way as Sansara"? Is there a specific route for asian players to go that is different to other professional footballers?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:16 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Forde has gone quiet lately but had a very good spell around xmas so no chance he gets released. :lol:

Why would he go the "same way as Sansara"? Is there a specific route for asian players to go that is different to other professional footballers?

Sansara was a left back who played a bit, looked o.k at first with people praising him and he gradually got worse over time and I assume is somewhere in non league now.

Benning looked decent at times in 12/13 when he first started games but again has got worse and I don't like seeing his name in the starting 11 anymore. If he gets released he'll probably get picked up by a league 2 club but apparently he didn't do that well at York so not sure he'll last too long at that level.

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season