Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crawley Town (H) League One 14th Apr, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Walsallone
UTS Legend

Re: Crawley Town (H) League One 14th Apr, 7.45pm

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:23 am

Whitters-I realise now he was smiling due to feeling embarrassed :D like a naughty schoolboy who needed the lavatory in the middle of a lesson!
Sadsfan-agreed about one swallow but found your comment somewhat churlish. If we can reproduce that form or anything like it for the remainder of the season the doubts i have expressed on here will go away.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:27 am

Super Gabor wrote:Major floodgates. 4-0. Taylor.

As the ball dropped to Taylor, with only ten minutes to go, and those in the Upper tier prepared to duck , I felt reassured my £10 with Ladbrokes (10/1) for a 3-0 home win would be keeping me in ale for a few days to come.

Scunthorpe!

:lol:

P.S. It even took a deflection before hitting the back of the net.

fudge Scunthorpe!
:lol: :lol:
Last edited by Leatherman on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:30 am

Took us 12 games to score our last 5 goals! Now 5 in 1 match?! Gotta love being a Saddler. Let pray for more of the same at Crewe! :D

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:52 am

leics_saddler wrote:The irony is that if he has a bit of a change round we could do Crawley about 6-0 on Tuesday!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:10 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:Floodgates.

You heard it here first. :D

I knew we'd beat Fleetwood and we were just ripe for dishing out a royal hammering. I could sense it in my Walsall bones. Only bettered by Tinned's prediction of the correct scoreline - I wasn't quite that positive! :wink:

Away win a Crewho? anyone?

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:38 am

You can't underestimate the effect that Morris had on the match.
I can recall only two or three occasions when he failed to control the ball or make a pass.
When the ball came to him he did the basics right, giving him all options to choose from.
Without the ball he closed down the opposition, making himself difficult to get past, allowing us to maintain our shape behind him.
He always looked a threat taking players on and I can only hope that his approach of trying a shot when it looks on, catches on with other team mates.
It was one of the most complete individual performances that I've seen for a long time.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:05 am

Bloomin heck, the one night we get a substantially positive result and my computer went on the blink!!
Must have been because I posted something positive about us on UTS!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Better now though, and I'm beaming with pride, no more relegation worries, a 5-0 win and a trip to Crewe coming up, bring on Blackpool & Wiggin next season (and possibly Bury) utter heaven for us NUTS!!

Well done lads great result, seems like Morris had a good game, and somebody else, who's name was NOT Bradshaw, actually scored!! :D (our humiliation at Wembley dow seem so bad when they can go to Bratfort & win 6-0!!)

UTS

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:23 am

The Bosted Slab wrote:You can't underestimate the effect that Morris had on the match.
I can recall only two or three occasions when he failed to control the ball or make a pass.
When the ball came to him he did the basics right, giving him all options to choose from.
Without the ball he closed down the opposition, making himself difficult to get past, allowing us to maintain our shape behind him.
He always looked a threat taking players on and I can only hope that his approach of trying a shot when it looks on, catches on with other team mates.
It was one of the most complete individual performances that I've seen for a long time.

Exactly right, everyone on the pitch 7-8 out of 10. Morris though 10/10. Sawyers should take notice of how well the basics work sometimes. Having said that sawyers did well for the most part last night as deano stuck him out on the wing playing as an attacking wide midfielder leaving jordy playing almost as a second striker. We look alot better without sawyers playing through the middle, quicker, more direct and more end product. For once im not saying drop him though, seemed to be really effective in that position....or was that just the quality of the opposition? Shame this result couldnt have come a few weeks ago.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:07 am

Good post Tipton with which I largely agree however it was the interplay between Morris,Hiwula,and Bradshaw which made the difference. Cook also did well when he came on. As I said earlier if we can reproduce that form I will be very happy.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:25 am

I'd Just like to congratulate Dean Smith on playing Rubbish all season then right at the end doing just enough (no more) to keep his job and justify his brand of football...the attendance last night shows what the Walsall public think about his brand of football....i hear he's already got his excuse ready for the first match next season....its the Ref's fault apparently.... :lol:

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:13 pm

Guest wrote:
moaning saddler wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:Thanks to M6 traffic we got as far as J2 by kickoff.
Crawled about 1/4 mile in an hour then got off at J3 and made our way home.
Just got in.
The only home game we've missed all season!
Gutted after all the crap we've watched this season!

Same here.
Turned back after spending 75 minutes crawling less than 1 mile to J3.
Never had the same problem conveying me to countless mindnumbingly shocking displays over the past year :evil:

It seems the attendance could have been quite a bit higher.

We scored as many last night as we had managed in the previous 11 games that I actually had the pleasure of attending. Surely I will see a bonanza at Crewe?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Sid swifty as you stated on here you no longer attend matches and haven't for years your views on our style of play are invalid! If more people came to games we would have more money to invest in players and build a better team although if we can reproduce last nights form consistently 99% of our fans will be happy. One other point -the last 2 games are the only time this season that Dean has had a full squad to chose from. It is perhaps therefore unsurprising we have won them both.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:39 pm

Walsallone wrote:Sid swifty as you stated on here you no longer attend matches and haven't for years your views on our style of play are invalid! If more people came to games we would have more money to invest in players and build a better team although if we can reproduce last nights form consistently 99% of our fans will be happy. One other point -the last 2 games are the only time this season that Dean has had a full squad to chose from. It is perhaps therefore unsurprising we have won them both.

Who the hell do you think you are? so unless i am presently going to watch Walsall play i don't have an opinion is that it? The fact that members of my family go week in week out and tell me all about the rubbish football they are playing which incidentally i saw for myself at Wembley when they shamed the name of Walsall fc and the town,fancy having to wait 127yrs for that rubbish.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:50 pm

I was at Wembley too and it was far from a shameful performance against a team in great form and high in confidence. They tried, they weren't fortunate and ultimately failed. Some players froze. That's football, especially in the lower leagues.

There's criticism and there's going way over the top. Everyone was disappointed at the result. But 'shameful' ? Never in a million years.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:38 pm

Cully on the previous match thread wrote:
ps I will be attending our next home match and the away game at Crewe and will be delighted to present my usual unbiased and fair-minded report on the games.

Was it that good, it has taken you all day to write it, Cully? :arrow:

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:11 pm

Wembley was shameful... plot well and truly lost. :lol:

paddy
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:21 pm

Wembley was a no show by many players, partly Smith's fault as he played players not fully fit. The Smith to blame fully for not changing tactics to try & win the game in the 2nd half

On last night, well done Dean but it's 1 game so not getting to carried away. You're still not the man to take us forward

Remember what happened after we scored 5 last season???

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:22 pm

I am a supporter Sid and proud of it. I rarely miss a home game and pay for 3 season tickets. I am therefore fully entitled to an opinion whilst you proudly told us some weeks ago you did not intend to attend matches. You are therefore clearly not a supporter and I cannot see how you can comment on playing matters if you don't see us play!
Yes we have been very poor at times -as we have been in many of the nearly 60yrs I have watched us-but it is worth going for nights like last night when we were excellent. Football of a very high quality at times-I hope your family told you that. They might also have told you that last night was only the second time this season that we had a fully fit squad. Saturday was the first time so you see if we can keep our players fit we might yet end up mid table and look ahead to a successful season next year. If more people came to matches we could sign better players so Sid its up to you and the other 27,000 day trippers who came to Wembley to help build a team which can challenge at the top of the table.

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:14 pm

PT
Site Addict

Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:27 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:I was at Wembley too and it was far from a shameful performance against a team in great form and high in confidence. They tried, they weren't fortunate and ultimately failed. Some players froze. That's football, especially in the lower leagues.

There's criticism and there's going way over the top. Everyone was disappointed at the result. But 'shameful' ? Never in a million years.

You're right. Slough and Colchester under Merson were shameful but I guess those calling Wembley shameful weren't at those games.

"Disappointing" is the word I'd use. Four lads who have all been instrumental in our two wins this week were all fit for Wembley but were benched or in Morris's case, out on loan. So I'd add "frustrating" too!

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:25 am

sid swifty wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Sid swifty as you stated on here you no longer attend matches and haven't for years your views on our style of play are invalid! If more people came to games we would have more money to invest in players and build a better team although if we can reproduce last nights form consistently 99% of our fans will be happy. One other point -the last 2 games are the only time this season that Dean has had a full squad to chose from. It is perhaps therefore unsurprising we have won them both.

Who the hell do you think you are? so unless i am presently going to watch Walsall play i don't have an opinion is that it? The fact that members of my family go week in week out and tell me all about the rubbish football they are playing which incidentally i saw for myself at Wembley when they shamed the name of Walsall fc and the town,fancy having to wait 127yrs for that rubbish.

Calm down Sid - we all agree with you.
None of us want to be tracked down and eliminated by you.

Seriously, it's people's opinions, that's what message boards are about if you hadn't noticed.
There's no need to have a baby all the time.
if you can't take the opinions then you know what to do.

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:32 am

Derbyshire Saddler wrote:
Whitters wrote:You should have gone to your local game - 6 goals there!

Nah, I'll only go there if we are playing them. A lifelong Saddlers fan turning up at the Proact to see them play Colchester or anyone else would just be plain wrong, I have zero interest, I just hoped we'd finish above them this season which obviously won't happen now unfortunately.

Now that's very interesting.
Often on here we get people suggested that fans of other clubs can be converted to be fans of Walsall.
They can't folks.
You can take the boy out of Walsall but you can't take Walsall out of the boy.
Unless the boy is made of plastic.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:22 am

Having been at the game and watched the highlights I am now thinking it is time for a spell on the sidelines for Sawyers. I am not saying he is playing badly or a poor player as he was involved a lot last night. For me though we looked like a real threat when we attacked with pace and to often when the ball reaches Sawyers he slows eveything down which is when we end up going backwards. We have scored 6 goals in the last 2 home games and Sawyers hasn't got one of them or created any with the final pass. It is a real problem for Smith in my opinion. He is such a talent, so can we work on him in the summer as it appears the team is built round him? Or is he hindering how we can potentially play and he goes down in Walsall history as a player that could have been briiliant!

Not sure I know the answer myself at the moment and can see why he divides opinions.

Bigmoylan
UTS Regular

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:59 am

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:Having been at the game and watched the highlights I am now thinking it is time for a spell on the sidelines for Sawyers. I am not saying he is playing badly or a poor player as he was involved a lot last night. For me though we looked like a real threat when we attacked with pace and to often when the ball reaches Sawyers he slows eveything down which is when we end up going backwards. We have scored 6 goals in the last 2 home games and Sawyers hasn't got one of them or created any with the final pass. It is a real problem for Smith in my opinion. He is such a talent, so can we work on him in the summer as it appears the team is built round him? Or is he hindering how we can potentially play and he goes down in Walsall history as a player that could have been briiliant!

Not sure I know the answer myself at the moment and can see why he divides opinions.

If Smith has tasked Sawyers with holding the ball up and allowing people to get forward then why would he bench him? We, as spectators don't know each players true assignments and can only guess. I think Sawyers is a very clever player and it seems only Morris and Hiwula can read him well enough and time a run etc. accordingly.

A big problem with have, and this contributes a lot to the sideways/backwards passing, is movement. No one runs into space to try and receive the ball, they all expect some one else to do it. Sawyers doesn't and last night Hiwula, Morris and Bradshaw didn't. I was surprised to see Bradshaw receive some of his passes on the half way line with red shirts still in front of him. This isn't all the time but 9/10 times when people are jeering at the backwards pass its because no one beyond the ball has moved.

Great game Tuesday though.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:31 am

Walsallone wrote:I am a supporter Sid and proud of it. I rarely miss a home game and pay for 3 season tickets. I am therefore fully entitled to an opinion whilst you proudly told us some weeks ago you did not intend to attend matches. You are therefore clearly not a supporter and I cannot see how you can comment on playing matters if you don't see us play!
Yes we have been very poor at times -as we have been in many of the nearly 60yrs I have watched us-but it is worth going for nights like last night when we were excellent. Football of a very high quality at times-I hope your family told you that. They might also have told you that last night was only the second time this season that we had a fully fit squad. Saturday was the first time so you see if we can keep our players fit we might yet end up mid table and look ahead to a successful season next year. If more people came to matches we could sign better players so Sid its up to you and the other 27,000 day trippers who came to Wembley to help build a team which can challenge at the top of the table.

And the 50yrs i paid to watch them counts for nothing,plus the 3 sons i paid for for years.Even if i hadn't gone for all those years i'd still be allowed an opinion.I will never ever forgive Smith for the way his team just surrendered,he should have resigned after that debacle.Instead its just one of those things as far as Smith is concerned,something that can be put right if we can can scrape a draw from our next home game,well it can't, it was a one of once in several lifetimes event that will never happen again.

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:47 am

sid swifty wrote:
Walsallone wrote:I am a supporter Sid and proud of it. I rarely miss a home game and pay for 3 season tickets. I am therefore fully entitled to an opinion whilst you proudly told us some weeks ago you did not intend to attend matches. You are therefore clearly not a supporter and I cannot see how you can comment on playing matters if you don't see us play!

And the 50yrs i paid to watch them counts for nothing,plus the 3 sons i paid for for years.Even if i hadn't gone for all those years i'd still be allowed an opinion.I will never ever forgive Smith for the way his team just surrendered,he should have resigned after that debacle.Instead its just one of those things as far as Smith is concerned,something that can be put right if we can can scrape a draw from our next home game,well it can't, it was a one of once in several lifetimes event that will never happen again.

Imo you need to attend games on a regular basis to form an educated opinion. The highlights shown on the tele never tell the whole story because they are simply not long enough. Less than a minutes worth for 5 goals. Also the opinions of others who do attend can only go so far as to telling you how the game went. You could get the same idea of how the game went simply by looking on here. Are you telling me your family members have always come back each with the exact same story of the game? No amount of hearsay, reading reports or watching highlights will never give you the true story.

Also whats to say we wont get to wembley again next year? We were good enough to get there this year and lets face it we have been piss poor for the most part.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:59 am

So Tipton Saddler you appear to be saying that if you cannot get to matches you should not be allowed an educated opinion as to how the team performs. What a load of hogwash. Everyone has a right to have an opinion whether they attend or not. Or should the board be closed to anyone that cannot get to games.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:26 am

Can we change this forum to 'match reports and over-reactions' ??

I expected us to lose at Wembley, and so did the bookies. It reminded me a lot of the 2-0 loss at Blues in the Championship. I know some people were saying Walsall 1-0, and if we'd have got to 70 mins without conceding, then we might well have done.

The guy that ran the show was their little midfielder, Newman, who got the cross over for the 2nd goal. We really didn't have answer. But like I said, that's football.

I wonder if Bradford have 'shamed the name of Bradford City' by losing 6-0 at home to the same team?

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:14 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:So Tipton Saddler you appear to be saying that if you cannot get to matches you should not be allowed an educated opinion as to how the team performs. What a load of hogwash. Everyone has a right to have an opinion whether they attend or not. Or should the board be closed to anyone that cannot get to games.

But if you dont attend a said game what do you base your opinion on for that game? A game you went to 6 weeks ago that ended with the same result? The amount of games ive been to and seen it differently to others id say is at least 20-30%. If you base your opinions on others opinions you're setting yourself up for a fall. Makes me laugh how people go on forums to give their opinion on something they have little knowledge of as they were not there. Carry on and have your "opinion" but its pretty much irrelevant if you havent watched the game. Or in some cases any game for the last few years. How can you comment on a performance based on stats or what your mates/family tell you.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:21 pm

You can have opinions without going to matches. I have opinions on lots of things I don't witness but how valid can they be? I perhaps went a little over the top with Sid but I get really annoyed with folk who come and express opinions to me about particular games when they haven't attended. They don't know how we played,the strength of the opposition,the state of the pitch ,the referee etc. One other point I never comment on a match I haven't seen other than to say,occasionally,that was a good point or two. UTS

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season