Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crawley Town (H) League One 14th Apr, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Re: Crawley Town (H) League One 14th Apr, 7.45pm

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:52 pm

Thanks to M6 traffic we got as far as J2 by kickoff.
Crawled about 1/4 mile in an hour then got off at J3 and made our way home.
Just got in.
The only home game we've missed all season!
Gutted after all the crap we've watched this season!

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:53 pm

Wow look at all the positiveness all of a sudden.....

A couple of sarcastic predictions earlier in the thread are close to the actual score....

Very, very happy - lets hope Crawley get relegated now - although in the end they only brought 4 less than we took to them :oops:

UTS Legend

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:00 pm

Just to be a bit less positive. We can no longer make the playoffs...

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:02 pm

Guest wrote:Just to be a bit less positive. We can no longer make the playoffs...

Smith out :D

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:05 pm

Derbyshire Saddler wrote:This is the first Tuesday night home game I've missed this season, I decided not to make the 3 hour round trip mainly due to our boring sideways football. I said to the missus earlier that we're bound to score a hat full tonight and look what's happened, gutted I missed it, but chuffed with result and for the 3,200 who made the effort.

You should have gone to your local game - 6 goals there!

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:27 pm

What a game, brilliant from Walsall and terrifyingly bad from Crawley, feel for the 97 that made the trip up.

We didn't try to either walk it in or give it A Chambers to slam over the bar, and we scored because of it! :mrgreen:

Well done lads.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:29 pm

Wonderful!

Morris made the difference. For one of the few times this year, one of our attacking mids actually ran at defenders, scared the cack out of them and made space for others to use superbly. A well deserved 5-0, though given that Saunders had relegated the Dingles , maybe we should have been a bit nicer to him.

Just joking, Crawley are cack who won't be missed if they go down.

Derbyshire Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:29 pm

Whitters wrote:
Derbyshire Saddler wrote:This is the first Tuesday night home game I've missed this season, I decided not to make the 3 hour round trip mainly due to our boring sideways football. I said to the missus earlier that we're bound to score a hat full tonight and look what's happened, gutted I missed it, but chuffed with result and for the 3,200 who made the effort.

You should have gone to your local game - 6 goals there!

Nah, I'll only go there if we are playing them. A lifelong Saddlers fan turning up at the Proact to see them play Colchester or anyone else would just be plain wrong, I have zero interest, I just hoped we'd finish above them this season which obviously won't happen now unfortunately.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:38 pm

Cracking game, awful opposition, but not to take anything away from our performance, which was immense.

No doubt the Smith apologists will be swarming all over this thread telling us they were right. Well no you wasn't. For once the team played with attacking intent, pace and directness and looked what happened. Some of us of only been asking for this since August.

Oh, and my sincere apologies to Mr Cook. After asking what he was smoking when he said we'd start putting 4 or 5 past teams I've been proven well and truly wrong :mrgreen:

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:43 pm

tinned wrote:Cracking game, awful opposition, but not to take anything away from our performance, which was immense.

No doubt the Smith apologists will be swarming all over this thread telling us they were right. Well no you wasn't. For once the team played with attacking intent, pace and directness and looked what happened. Some of us of only been asking for this since August.

Oh, and my sincere apologies to Mr Cook. After asking what he was smoking when he said we'd start putting 4 or 5 past teams I've been proven well and truly wrong :mrgreen:

The force fields must be fudge

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:44 pm

5-0 :shock:

The first time we have scored 5 since Notts County away last January.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:50 pm

A very good performance against awful opposition. Regardless of how bad they were though, we showed a ruthlessness I wasn't sure we had in us after Chesterfield away.

Aside from the difference Bradshaw makes in terms of letting us keep the ball in our opposition half, the wide men were the big difference today. Why? Morris and Hiwula came inside when we had the ball and essentially allowed us to play with three up front rather than one. Hiwula even made runs beyond Bradshaw and they simply couldn't live with it.

I found it quite bizarre how they decided to put 11 men behind the ball and waste time at every break in play when they were 1-0 down, but there were multiple spells where we kept the ball for 20-odd passes and didn't let them get near us. Believe it or not, the geriatrics behind me were still moaning about the fact that we weren't playing every pass forward - perhaps forgetting that when youre 1-0 up and the opposition can't get near the ball let alone our goal, you're in no danger of letting them back into the game.

Everyone was a genuine 8/10 tonight, possibly with the exception of O'Donnell who simply had nothing but a handful of routine catches to make. Giving Mantom half an hour was a bonus, but seeing Cain walk straight down the tunnel after being subbed wasn't. Anyone know if there was a genuine reason, or did he just throw the dummy again? He was a contender for man of the match before Mantom came on, to be fair to him.

It might not be the end of the season we were hoping for back in August, but hey-ho, that's life being a lower league football fan for you. Perhaps Smith might just be able to start planning for next season a little earlier than we thought he might be able to a fortnight ago.
Last edited by WFC_Rob on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dajw_my_son
UTS Regular

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:54 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:Thanks to M6 traffic we got as far as J2 by kickoff.
Just got in.

I got stuck in that traffic jam. Got to the match at half time!!

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:07 pm

Exellent win. 2 home wins on the bounce and 4 consecutive league cleansheets,, 21 in total for the season - an excellent return for any side at any level. If only we could show any remote consistency going forward, we would be in with a shot at the top 6.

Looking positively ahead, for the first time in his entire reign, Smith has all of his front 4 signed up for next season. Bradshaw, Cook, Forde, Sawyers. If he can add a player with genuine pace into that mix and have an entire summer getting these guys fit, training a new formation or some new techniques into them, then I am genuinely positive for the future once again.

Everyone from about 6th downwards hasn't had much to enjoy in league 1 this season, it's just not very good at all this year. Every set of fans has moaned about the manager, then been positive, then negative, then managers got sacked etc. There are definetely 'good' parts to Smith's management. He is consistent in getting 1 forward player to score 15 goals minimum, something that was actually rare for Walsall up until recently. His good work with younger players, his ability to spot a player with potential and actually get that out of them.

However, he also has a downside to his management and that's his structured tactics that he won't change for any man. If he can learn to get himself a plan B, a secondary formation and pick our home form up, then he can become an excellent manager. I'm on the fence as to whether he will right now.

I'd be realistically setting him a target of at least 60-70 goals and 10 home wins next season. Even if we finish in mid table again, at least people may get some more value for money then.

Safe for another year, UTS.

PS - (Look at the bottom 4 of league 2 before you start taking a mid table season in league 1 for advantage)...

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:13 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Giving Mantom half an hour was a bonus, but seeing Cain walk straight down the tunnel after being subbed wasn't. Anyone know if there was a genuine reason, or did he just throw the dummy again? He was a contender for man of the match before Mantom came on, to be fair to him.

Rumour on Twitter is that he went for a cack :lol:

Not sure why he'd spit the dummy after a great performance and being subbed off when 3 nil up, doe make sense.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:25 pm

Typical the two times we score five goals then the FLS ain't on. Smith Out!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:27 pm

Excellent performance against a poor team. We have lost to similar teams so what made the difference? A fit Bradshaw aided and abetted by two players (Morris and Hiwula) playing much closer to him which gave us a front 3 for the first time in ages. Morris in particular had a fine game and deserved Man of the Match. Before he scored his "worldy" I said to my mates he reminded me of a certain Jamie Paterson!!!! There is hope if we can reproduce that form!! Finally a word of praise for James O'Conner who played really well. Dean has some contract issues to sort before next season.

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:31 pm

It's amazing what a team playing with pace and width can do.
We were fantastic tonight and in truth could and should have got 8.
What a lovely feeling to stay on after the final whistle to applaud a truly great performance.

Just hope we don't have to wait another season to have more of the same.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:31 pm

Just seen the comment about Cain. He went off smiling so I don't think there is a problem. Incidentally what a master class in passing from Mantom when he came on. I know we were 3-0 up but it was so good to see.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:34 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:... seeing Cain walk straight down the tunnel after being subbed wasn't. Anyone know if there was a genuine reason, or did he just throw the dummy again?

He asked to come off and O'Connor was signalling to the bench to replace Cain. He looked ill when he came off.

BESCOTIAN

Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:39 pm

Well bugger me I never saw that coming. The team had a real cutting edge tonight a pleasure to watch the opposition may not have been the best but you can only beat what is in front of you.

Credit to the Crawley fans they made a fair bit of noise early considering there wasn't that many of them. Nice to stand in the Gilbert and hear the Saddlers revelling in a fine display.

UTS

Ian

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:01 pm

Pedagogue wrote:He asked to come off and O'Connor was signalling to the bench to replace Cain. He looked ill when he came off.

walsallone wrote:Just seen the comment about Cain. He went off smiling so I don't think there is a problem.

Smiling and looking ill?
Sounds like wind - a good slap on the back and he'll be ok.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:59 pm

This has to be a first.

I can't even find a popular, well used Crawley Town forum so I can go and gloat at their comments :lol:

Even non league teams muster a decent online presence.....

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:30 am

Just got in.

Same here.
Turned back after spending 75 minutes crawling less than 1 mile to J3.
Never had the same problem conveying me to countless mindnumbingly shocking displays over the past year :evil:

UTS Legend

Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:29 am

moaning saddler wrote:
Just got in.

Same here.
Turned back after spending 75 minutes crawling less than 1 mile to J3.
Never had the same problem conveying me to countless mindnumbingly shocking displays over the past year :evil:

It seems the attendance could have been quite a bit higher.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:10 am

Sadders wrote:Exellent win. 2 home wins on the bounce and 4 consecutive league cleansheets,, 21 in total for the season - an excellent return for any side at any level. If only we could show any remote consistency going forward, we would be in with a shot at the top 6.

Looking positively ahead, for the first time in his entire reign, Smith has all of his front 4 signed up for next season. Bradshaw, Cook, Forde, Sawyers. If he can add a player with genuine pace into that mix and have an entire summer getting these guys fit, training a new formation or some new techniques into them, then I am genuinely positive for the future once again.

Everyone from about 6th downwards hasn't had much to enjoy in league 1 this season, it's just not very good at all this year. Every set of fans has moaned about the manager, then been positive, then negative, then managers got sacked etc. There are definetely 'good' parts to Smith's management. He is consistent in getting 1 forward player to score 15 goals minimum, something that was actually rare for Walsall up until recently. His good work with younger players, his ability to spot a player with potential and actually get that out of them.

However, he also has a downside to his management and that's his structured tactics that he won't change for any man. If he can learn to get himself a plan B, a secondary formation and pick our home form up, then he can become an excellent manager. I'm on the fence as to whether he will right now.

I'd be realistically setting him a target of at least 60-70 goals and 10 home wins next season. Even if we finish in mid table again, at least people may get some more value for money then.

Safe for another year, UTS.

PS - (Look at the bottom 4 of league 2 before you start taking a mid table season in league 1 for advantage)...

Another positive is that we now have the 8th best GD in the league.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 am

chestersaddler wrote:Another positive is that we now have the 8th best GD in the league.

The goal difference situation in League One really is strange. We're the only side below Rochdale in 7th without a negative goal difference. It'll be a small victory if we manage to keep it that way by the time the Bristol City game's finished.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:13 am

Dean Saunders is quickly becoming one of my favourite managers.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:15 am

A good performance, although the ball boys could probably have beaten Crawley! Morris has made a big difference to the side, and everything really clicked tonight. One swallow does not make a summer though and it's still Smith out for me.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:22 am

Can't knock their 98 fans. We only took 101 to their dump. 98 of those were probably ticking off the 92. :wink:

Well done the lads for that result. :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season