Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (H) League One 11 Apr, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
boringteacher
UTS Legend

Re: Fleetwood Town (H) League One 11 Apr, 3pm

Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:44 pm

Thank fudge for that.

More of the same, but with a fit (though not match sharp) Bradshaw was enough to beat a supremely negative team. Fleetshaw being in with a shout of the play offs shows what a chance we've missed this season. Even today, though we looked more positive than our opponents, we were generally slow, ponderous and created limited chances. Story of a poor season really, Bradshaw retrieves the paddle in cack creek.

2 more points will put the misery at an end, though 1 might be enough.

Time to drink now

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:51 pm

PINNACLE wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Well that's it; all the 'Smith out' posts, 'who would we replace him with' debates redundant. Like it or not Dean Smith will be in charge of this football club next season so may as well just get behind the club for the time being

Have to admit for the first time my opinions were turning as we approached 85 minutes.

Positive: Burton & Shrewsbury next season by the looks

Once again i have to disagree (politely)with your post.
I hope that the Smith out faction will grow in strength after what has been a very dismal league season for WFC.
I dont like the fact that he will be in charge next season but i have to admit you may be right.

I know you have been going or a couple of years longer than me, PINNACLE, so, relative to your 45+ years of supporting Walsall, you would class this as a very dismal season, even considering that we made our first ever Wembley appearance?

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:03 pm

Wembley was pretty dismal - if you went for the football.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:04 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Well that's it; all the 'Smith out' posts, 'who would we replace him with' debates redundant. Like it or not Dean Smith will be in charge of this football club next season so may as well just get behind the club for the time being

Have to admit for the first time my opinions were turning as we approached 85 minutes.

I hope that the Smith out faction will grow in strength after what has been a very dismal league season for WFC.
I dont like the fact that he will be in charge next season but i have to admit you may be right.

I know you have been going or a couple of years longer than me, PINNACLE, so, relative to your 45+ years of supporting Walsall, you would class this as a very dismal season, even considering that we made our first ever Wembley appearance?

Hate to semi-agree with the self-appointed special one, but its been a really piss poor season. Smith would have still been in charge next season even with a relegation, but he has little credit left the bulk of supporters now. We have become supremely tedious to watch and pretty bloody easy to play against. One fit again goal poacher saved us again today.

Not quite "very dismal", but verging on simple dismal given how crap the division is. Smith better hope for a decent start next season.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:09 pm

You're opinion changes more time's than your socks funk.
A 1-0 win all of a sudden dosen't make smith the man to take us forward he's still a clown.
I knew we'd win that game 1-0 it was a dead cert we had to score at some point and Fleetwood are almost as bad as us at scoring.
How long till we score again?

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:19 pm

Eight hours and eight minutes?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:21 pm

Guest wrote:Eight hours and eight minutes?

Love yow! :mrgreen:

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Guest wrote:Eight hours and eight minutes?

Love yow! :mrgreen:

8 hours and 8 minutes of playing time between Walsall's last two goals (including added time).

If this trend continues, we won't score again until next season.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:36 pm

It was hardly a Barcelona-esque display, but we were considerably better than Fleetwood. The fact they were - and possibly still are - playoff contenders, shows just how fine a line there is between League One's basement and the promised land of the top six.

Ultimately, the difference was Bradshaw. I'd probably use the word 'scruffy' to describe his performance, but not necessarily in a bad way - he occupies defenders and helps us to play the ball in the opposition's half, which is something we've really struggled with since the second half against Sheffield Utd. He's not the most gifted technically, but his finishing inside the box is exceptional, and he always wants to play on the last defender - again, something nobody else in the squad wants to do.

There were stil a fair few who flattered to deceive, but the back four were generally solid again and I thought Adam Chambers had his most effective game for a few weeks. I don't think we struggle baking forward because Chambers is in the side - it's more because the bloke playing alongside him doesn't do enough to get between the opposition's two banks of four. Cain was a passenger for the whole game until the one time he did break forward, he made the winning goal. Proof if ever we needed it that we'll only score goals if we take the odd calculated risk.

I thought Sawyers had another 90 minutes of going through the motions. I really like him as a player and think he has all the attributes to be one of the best players in the league, but he needs to start doing more in and around the opposition's box. Deliberately or not, there was one attack in the first half where he was waiting for the ball on the left wing when the ball was on the opposite side of the pitch. It doesn't take a genius to realise the goals and assists we need from him won't arrive if he wants to play all of his football in areas where he can't hurt the opposition. Smith needs to work out how to get the best out of him in the summer, because his contribution where it matters - goals and assists - hasn't been big enough this season.

It was a bit of a struggle today, but I don't think we should underestimate just how difficult it must be to break out of such a desperate rut. That said, there was no question we were comfortably the better side so the three points were deserved. I just hope we can get something from the next two games so Smith can be a bit less rigid with his team selection and tactics in that last home game against Oldham.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:41 pm

boringteacher wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

Hate to semi-agree with the self-appointed special one, but its been a really piss poor season. Smith would have still been in charge next season even with a relegation, but he has little credit left the bulk of supporters now. We have become supremely tedious to watch and pretty bloody easy to play against. One fit again goal poacher saved us again today.

Not quite "very dismal", but verging on simple dismal given how crap the division is. Smith better hope for a decent start next season.

Smith has little credit?

I don't know what kind of authorititive survey you've done of the supporters, but I would say it (and by inference your statement) has a number of reality issues.

What did you honestly rationally predict for this season? A landslide of 4 goal wins, effortlessly gliding into the automatic promotion places?

And the goal poacher/good keeper comments make me laugh, what did they beam down into the dressing room one day?

We're on 51 points, Rochdale are in 7th on 60, others in the high 50s with credible playoff chances. How many more points would have made a very successful season?
Hardly a barrowful, especially considering the recent Port Vale refereeing farce. So a handful more wins and a better Wembley appearance.

Small margins.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:46 pm

A deserved victory but we really made hard work of it and it only happened because of a really well taken goal by Bradshaw. Cain who had played poorly set the goal up with a good run and pass. O'Conner was deservedly man of the match.
As to the Manager I think his position needs to be looked at in the summer. The one up front plan has clearly had its day and we certainly need new thinking next year as well better signings for the front positions. Bradshaw needs help and at the moment we appear to have very few other scoring options.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:50 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
boringteacher wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

Smith has little credit?

I don't know what kind of authorititive survey you've done of the supporters, but I would say it (and by inference your statement) has a number of reality issues.

What did you honestly rationally predict for this season? A landslide of 4 goal wins, effortlessly gliding into the automatic promotion places?

And the goal poacher/good keeper comments make me laugh, what did they beam down into the dressing room one day?

We're on 51 points, Rochdale are in 7th on 60, others in the high 50s with credible playoff chances. How many more points would have made a very successful season?
Hardly a barrowful, especially considering the recent Port Vale refereeing farce. So a handful more wins and a better Wembley appearance.

Small margins.

Agree with every word of that. I'd be interested to see what fans of Doncaster, Oldham and Gillingham make of their respective seasons because not only have they had peaks and troughs similar to ours, but two of the three have changed their managers and seen that make little to no difference to their league position.

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:56 pm

Just utter relief, me my brother an sister just say with our head in our hands when we scored, utter relief.

Fleetwood to say they was knocking on the door of the play offs is amazing to me, had no attacking intent an cannot even remember a save odonnell had to make?

Cain abject all game pretty much, Jordan Cook has been garbage for a good while now he needs to be dropped.

I nearly burst with anger when hiwula was brought on and put straight on the wing I could have chinned the ginger muling quim! Get him upfront with Bradshaw on Tuesday night, just try it for one game for crying out of penis.

I love tom Bradshaw, effort , movement, desire, top man.

Be a happy man with another big 3 on Tuesday night

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:59 pm

Steaming pile of turdishness for both teams. What a load of clueless shite.

Smith out, the quicker the better.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:00 pm

Absolutely awfully boring performance, 44 mins before the first shot and a dreadful second half. This will go down for me as one of the worst seasons watching Walsall, no goals, no excitement, dismal defensive play, pointless periods of play with endless tedious passing. Three highlights, Morris's performance, Bradshaws goal and the final whistle. SMITHOUT's comments after the game verge on the deluded, he thinks we played well, created chances but were unlucky because the Fleetwod defence played well. fudge off Smith, we're all sick to death of the drivel and one dimensional drivel we've paid to watch.
FAO Chester........We didn't play well, we were crap as usual and the crowd were taking the piss for us not scoring, there were plenty of boo's at the regular back passing to O'Donnell including at least three occasions when we were on the edge of our opponents penalty box only to contrive to pass it around until we ran out of ideas and just walked it back to O'Donnell.

It's going to be a very depressing close season knowing that SMITHOUT will be in charge next season and reading the usual drivel from those who cannot see what's put in front of their eyes and those who are lucky enough not to see them 'play'.

SMITHOUT :arrow: PERIOD

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:03 pm

Cully wrote:Absolutely awfully boring performance, 44 mins before the first shot and a dreadful second half. This will go down for me as one of the worst seasons watching Walsall, no goals, no excitement, dismal defensive play, pointless periods of play with endless tedious passing. Three highlights, Morris's performance, Bradshaws goal and the final whistle. SMITHOUT's comments after the game verge on the deluded, he thinks we played well, created chances but were unlucky because the Fleetwod defence played well. fudge off Smith, we're all sick to death of the drivel and one dimensional drivel we've paid to watch.
FAO Chester........We didn't play well, we were crap as usual and the crowd were taking the piss for us not scoring, there were plenty of boo's at the regular back passing to O'Donnell including at least three occasions when we were on the edge of our opponents penalty box only to contrive to pass it around until we ran out of ideas and just walked it back to O'Donnell.

It's going to be a very depressing close season knowing that SMITHOUT will be in charge next season and reading the usual drivel from those who cannot see what's put in front of their eyes and those who are lucky enough not to see them 'play'.

SMITHOUT :arrow: PERIOD

Not often, but spot on.

Result aside, what a load of fudge pathetic cack,

Smith out,

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:08 pm

A bit OTT there Cully...19 shots gives a lie to some of your comments but only 3 on target tells you what our problem is!! It needs to be put right whether it be with Dean Smith or someone else I will leave to the Board to decide in the Summer. My view ,expressed above,is that we cannot go on like this...the one up front plan isn't working and needs to change.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:11 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
boringteacher wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

Smith has little credit?

Small margins.

I'd have predicted comfortable mid-table to be honest - and a serious play-off chance has been wasted given our squad and how cack the division is. We are in the position we deserve to be in, when Smith was bemoaning luck v Notts C, he didn't seem to recall the own goal/crap penalty decision we beat them at their place with. Fair enough, but I couldn't beat my breast and bemoan the whims of the gods this season.

With genuine respect for yourself, the tepid, sideways football we've regressed to this season has been depressing to see to those who've been around for most of the year. I could forgive boring, but teams have completely sussed us out this season and our tactics ain't working. Wembley was shite, but unfortunately that sort of performance has happened too frequently this year so it wasn't actually a surprise when we didn't show up.

Like most here, the massive and authorative survey, is actually the dozen or so regulars I sit with. Its gone from a couple of malcontents (not including me) to only one in the group still having faith that we'll progress next season. I'd personally love to eat cack next season and see us kick on under Smith, but I doubt it'll happen. The crowd today were despairing at times at how slow we were to move the ball and actually go at a mediocre opposition - if we see more of the same next season, it won't take until April for Smith to come under proper pressure.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:44 pm

We got better in the second half after an awful first half in which we were dead lucky not to be down to ten men after Cook's brainless two footed challenge near the start. I think it's proximity to the start was the deciding factor.

Second half we pushed Sawyers further forward and then went two up top after twenty minutes and guess what? We only went and scored. Lovely finish it was too.

Fleetwood were awful and their support is awful. Clubs like these having the places of Grimsby, Bristol Rovers and Wrexham feels wrong. Crawley will struggle to fill a minibus on Tuesday. cack.

So, it looks like we're safe. Good. The 3,000 deserved something to be happy about.

Doesn't paper over any cracks in my mind though. Big changes required on the playing side of the club. Top to bottom.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:52 pm

boringteacher wrote:
I'd have predicted comfortable mid-table to be honest - and a serious play-off chance has been wasted given our squad and how cack the division is. We are in the position we deserve to be in, when Smith was bemoaning luck v Notts C, he didn't seem to recall the own goal/crap penalty decision we beat them at their place with. Fair enough, but I couldn't beat my breast and bemoan the whims of the gods this season.

With genuine respect for yourself, the tepid, sideways football we've regressed to this season has been depressing to see to those who've been around for most of the year. I could forgive boring, but teams have completely sussed us out this season and our tactics ain't working. Wembley was shite, but unfortunately that sort of performance has happened too frequently this year so it wasn't actually a surprise when we didn't show up.

Like most here, the massive and authorative survey, is actually the dozen or so regulars I sit with. Its gone from a couple of malcontents (not including me) to only one in the group still having faith that we'll progress next season. I'd personally love to eat cack next season and see us kick on under Smith, but I doubt it'll happen. The crowd today were despairing at times at how slow we were to move the ball and actually go at a mediocre opposition - if we see more of the same next season, it won't take until April for Smith to come under proper pressure.

Pretty good post which sums up the opinion of everyone I sit with at home and travel with to all the games I have seen, not one person wants SMITHOUT to be given another game let alone another season. For those that aren't lucky enough to witness Walsall play week in week out home and away, if you went to Wembley and witnessed our display against World Club Champions in waiting Bristol City then you will have seen the best of Walsall this season, if you came away happy with our performance I can understand why you are convinced that SMITHOUT is the one true messiah.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:15 pm

PT wrote:Fleetwood were awful and their support is awful. Clubs like these having the places of Grimsby, Bristol Rovers and Wrexham feels wrong. Crawley will struggle to fill a minibus on Tuesday. cack.

The amount of times I have stated this on here only to be shouted down. I think it's ruining lower league football and it's all down to money talking again...Crawleys promotion from League 2 saw them take 500 to Accrington, it's a travesty...

Everyone can post 'pathetic cack' 'Smith out' etc etc as much as they want; fact of the matter is it ain't happening. So the choice is get behind the club for now or continue posting negative posts that will have zero effect.

For me roughly 13th in the table was 100% expected so we aren't too far off. Can anybody really have expected any more with a Wembley appearance, as underwhelming as it was, thrown in?!

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:23 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

Here we go again, yes we did make our very first Wembley appearance and the less said about that the better.
Yes i most certainly would class this as a very dismal league season (as i posted), not a very dismal season (as you posted).
If you are going to quote me then for gods sake get it right.
Smithout the sooner the better, not one of my more radical beliefs really judging by some of the like minded posts on here.
UTS

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:34 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Everyone can post 'pathetic cack' 'Smith out' etc etc as much as they want; fact of the matter is it ain't happening. So the choice is get behind the club for now or continue posting negative posts that will have zero effect.

Thanks for your advice and permission to post a true and proper account of this seasons dismal displays , here's some for you..................try watching the occasional game and to pass the time have a chat with the fellow fan next to you, when or if you find someone who has the same opinion ask them to move in and live with you, that way you won't feel the need to continue to post guff like 'in Smith I believe'

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:36 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

That's my point. I do think the disappointment of Wembley is clouding people's judgements as I wait with interest how this season is worse than 11/12, 09/10, 08/09, 04/05 etc and all the other endless mid table seasons Walsall annually endure with the odd promotion/relegation year thrown in.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:36 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:For me roughly 13th in the table was 100% expected so we aren't too far off. Can anybody really have expected any more with a Wembley appearance, as underwhelming as it was, thrown in?!

Well, Smith promised more than 13th.

Probably still does, the clueless idiot.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:46 pm

tinned wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:For me roughly 13th in the table was 100% expected so we aren't too far off. Can anybody really have expected any more with a Wembley appearance, as underwhelming as it was, thrown in?!

Well, Smith promised more than 13th.

Probably still does, the clueless idiot.

This is true. Smiths handling of the media & wild predictions is indefensible regardless of performances...just leaves him wide open to critism when we are only around where many of us expected to be....

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:48 pm

A good season to me is top 10 and 60 points.

Bit of a long shot now but still possible with wins v Crawley, Crewe and Oldham.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:57 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

That's my point. I do think the disappointment of Wembley is clouding people's judgements as I wait with interest how this season is worse than 11/12, 09/10, 08/09, 04/05 etc and all the other endless mid table seasons Walsall annually endure with the odd promotion/relegation year thrown in.

It's the brand and style of boring negative football that's making it feel worse than most other seasons.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:58 pm

13th and Wembley in and of themselves are OK. It's kind of what we are.

But it's the "how we are" that's the biggest problem. Clawing our way to 13th through a string of 0-0's and the odd 1-0 then not turning up to the biggest cup game in our history definitely isn't "how" we have ever been.

Walsall FC and its fans have always been different to our neighbours. No pretentions of grandeur or a feeling of top-table entitlement. It's about a tenacious and fearless loyalty to the town and the club, but not done with a growl (unless goaded) but with a smile and a certain freedom and joi-De-vivre that comes with reasonably low expectation. Dean Smith's Walsall were like that for a bit. Players like Ledesma, Couvelier and even Lalkovic playing with a beaming smile and no lack of flair. Now they are nothing like that. Dull, serious, timid and frightened, maybe over-coached and over-prepped to the point of being unable to express themselves.

We're just not ourselves just now and pointing at the league table is a false flag.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:35 pm

So, as a summary, we appear to be about 2 or 3 wins, a better Wembley performance (but we did get there), a more attack orientated style and a couple of players short of a successful season.

Is that right?

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season