Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (H) League One 11 Apr, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Re: Fleetwood Town (H) League One 11 Apr, 3pm

Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:53 pm

I'll start with the positives, a huge and deserved win. Bradshaw makes such a difference.

However, we came very close to another 0-0 and I can't help but think the result was in spite of Smith rather than due to him.

Fleetwood were very poor and I think we could have pasted them had we gone about things differently. Most of our play was the usual pedestrian stuff and Smith made no attempt to change the formation as usual. His subs were baffling, Hiwula on the right wing, where he's completely ineffective and then bringing on Rico Henry to play on the left wing!

Unless we can find Brandy and Paterson mark 2 and Sawyers starts producing, I don't think we will ever score many goals in this current system.

To give credit where it's due though, Deano really does know how to set up a solid defence. Get things sorted at the other end and we'd be flying!

Thoughts on a few performances:

Chambers and O'Connor - Both very solid

A Chambers - Excellent game, broke up play and was pushing forward too

Cook - Poor, looks devoid of confidence and just dosen't seem to offer anything to be honest

Morris - Looks raw, but plays with an energy and hunger that Cook is lacking

Sawyers - Also looks low on confidence, needs to contribute more

Bradshaw - Imagine how good this lad would be in a side where he received any sort of meaningful support!

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:00 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:So, as a summary, we appear to be about 2 or 3 wins, a better Wembley performance (but we did get there), a more attack orientated style and a couple of players short of a successful season.

Is that right?

No, no, and thrice no...................I would like to ditch this club DNA cack along with the chairman, entire board of directors, management and coaching staff and return to the unpredictable chaos and inevitable yo yo existence that made supporting Walsall unique. Who cares about anything else?

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:05 pm

IHTC. wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Well that's it; all the 'Smith out' posts, 'who would we replace him with' debates redundant. Like it or not Dean Smith will be in charge of this football club next season so may as well just get behind the club for the time being

Have to admit for the first time my opinions were turning as we approached 85 minutes.

Positive: Burton & Shrewsbury next season by the looks

Once again i have to disagree (politely)with your post.
I hope that the Smith out faction will grow in strength after what has been a very dismal league season for WFC.
I dont like the fact that he will be in charge next season but i have to admit you may be right.

I know you have been going or a couple of years longer than me, PINNACLE, so, relative to your 45+ years of supporting Walsall, you would class this as a very dismal season, even considering that we made our first ever Wembley appearance?

That's my point. I do think the disappointment of Wembley is clouding people's judgements as I wait with interest how this season is worse than 11/12, 09/10, 08/09, 04/05 etc and all the other endless mid table seasons Walsall annually endure with the odd promotion/relegation year thrown in.

It's the brand and style of boring negative football that's making it feel worse than most other seasons.

Agreed, had I been offered 15th and Wembley in the summer, I'd probably of taken it. However, I have serious doubts about Smith now because the style of play and lack of goals has been soul crushing at times.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:44 pm

PT wrote:Fleetwood were awful and their support is awful. Clubs like these having the places of Grimsby, Bristol Rovers and Wrexham feels wrong. Crawley will struggle to fill a minibus on Tuesday.

I completely agree with the sentiment of this post. I'm all for clubs who raise through the ranks through hard work, dedication and a 'community' pulling together [e.g. the old Wimbledon, Cheltenham, Hereford United etc.], but not those who simply bought their way in.

The sooner we rid League 1 of the above two, the better.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:05 pm

pumajaguar wrote:I'll start with the positives, a huge and deserved win. Bradshaw makes such a difference.

However, we came very close to another 0-0 and I can't help but think the result was in spite of Smith rather than due to him.

Fleetwood were very poor and I think we could have pasted them had we gone about things differently. Most of our play was the usual pedestrian stuff and Smith made no attempt to change the formation as usual. His subs were baffling, Hiwula on the right wing, where he's completely ineffective and then bringing on Rico Henry to play on the left wing!

Unless we can find Brandy and Paterson mark 2 and Sawyers starts producing, I don't think we will ever score many goals in this current system.

To give credit where it's due though, Deano really does know how to set up a solid defence. Get things sorted at the other end and we'd be flying!

Thoughts on a few performances:

Chambers and O'Connor - Both very solid

A Chambers - Excellent game, broke up play and was pushing forward too

Cook - Poor, looks devoid of confidence and just dosen't seem to offer anything to be honest

Morris - Looks raw, but plays with an energy and hunger that Cook is lacking

Sawyers - Also looks low on confidence, needs to contribute more

Bradshaw - Imagine how good this lad would be in a side where he received any sort of meaningful support!

I'd agree with pretty much all of what you say about the performances, but maybe people would like to additionally think about:

1. What would have happened if Cook had have got the straight red he might have got from another referee? The bitch fest tonight might be a bit more passionate I think. Could Smith really whine about the Red if he'd got what most of us was expecting?
2. Sawyers hasn't scored for an epoch. We look cack without him, but can we really plan next season without plan B if our free player, however good, scores less goals than you'd hope to get from an average centre half? Does the failure to recognise that we'd signed and developed a top notch striker and plan for adapting our tactics inspire confidence (as Puma suggests) in our manager?

I really hope that Smith sorts this. He's not inexperienced any longer, and he will not get understanding much longer from the support if we are as mediocre/boring next season. If he sorts it, there is enough residual good will from most to survive.

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:23 pm

The trouble is we are carrying 1 of Chambers, Cain and Sawyers.
3 people doing the job of 2.

Consequently we don't have enough going forward because we are 1 player short.
Sawyers has to do more and become a creative midfield player, else he has to support the lone striker and score 15 goals a season.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:19 pm

A win is a win and today was exactly that... a nervy win by a nervy team.

Ok so Sawyers has his faults but the main problem out of the attackers is not him... at least he looks like he may do something. Cook is a more immediate concern - I 100% hope i'm wrong but he looks plain crap - even after all these chances, and he was lucky to not be sent off. Forde on the right, Sawyers in the middle and Rico out left for me from now on.

Also, other than one great ball, Cain did his usual... and he moaned he wasn't picked at Wembley. :roll:

Super Tom MOTM for me. Games are about moments and after trying his hardest all game, what a goal.

Today wasn't great but it was a battling performance from a team bereft of confidence... for that they deserve some credit.

UTS Legend

Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:15 am

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:40 am

boringteacher wrote:I really hope that Smith sorts this. He's not inexperienced any longer, and he will not get understanding much longer from the support if we are as mediocre/boring next season. If he sorts it, there is enough residual good will from most to survive.

I wonder if we could loan him out for a while so he gets a fresh view of things?

paddy
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:45 am

Sawyers & Cook need dropping and putting in the reserves for a few weeks. So they realise they're not as good as they think they are, or as good as Smith has told them they are

Someone in Twitter says Sawyers was quality, but you can have work rate with quality, just appears Sawyers doesn't think so. He tries to admire his pass to many times, rather than looking to get on the end of the next ball

For me I'd look to move him on in the summer if a reasonable offer came in, then go back to 2 up front

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:44 am

Enniskillen wrote:The trouble is we are carrying 1 of Chambers, Cain and Sawyers.
3 people doing the job of 2.

Consequently we don't have enough going forward because we are 1 player short.
Sawyers has to do more and become a creative midfield player, else he has to support the lone striker and score 15 goals a season.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. If Sawyers isn't going to make more of a contribution in the final third, Smith needs to look at whether he's got the discipline to play in a midfield two - i.e. alongside one of Mantom, Cain (if he stays) or Chambers (if we keep him) - so we can stick another striker up there with Bradshaw.

I definitely fall into the pro-Sawyers camp, but I can see there's a real issue with his overall contribution. Usually I'd take the stats with a pinch of salt, but with four assists, Sawyers has the same number as Forde, and only one more than both Cook and Cain. Goals-wise, he's scored three - the same number as Cain, and one less than both Cook and Hiwula.

We all know that when you take Bradshaw out of the mix the stats are pretty embarrassing, but as our next most attacking player, Sawyers needs to be delivering more than players who have played considerably fewer games.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:18 am

Cully wrote:FAO Chester........We didn't play well, we were crap as usual and the crowd were taking the piss for us not scoring, there were plenty of boo's at the regular back passing to O'Donnell including at least three occasions when we were on the edge of our opponents penalty box only to contrive to pass it around until we ran out of ideas and just walked it back to O'Donnell.

Thanks Cully. I appreciate you taking the time. It is good to hear that we have moved on from booing individual payers to booing the whole team during games. Was there any booing when we scored?

I have already started to practice my look of indignation and throwing my cap on the floor in disgust ahead of the Swindon game :D

:arrow: :!:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:29 am

chestersaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:FAO Chester........We didn't play well, we were crap as usual and the crowd were taking the piss for us not scoring, there were plenty of boo's at the regular back passing to O'Donnell including at least three occasions when we were on the edge of our opponents penalty box only to contrive to pass it around until we ran out of ideas and just walked it back to O'Donnell.

Thanks Cully. I appreciate you taking the time. It is good to hear that we have moved on from booing individual payers to booing the whole team during games. Was there any booing when we scored?

I have already started to practice my look of indignation and throwing my cap on the floor in disgust ahead of the Swindon game :D

I would call it three episodes of mild derision from between 7-15 people from upstairs, once when the ball came back to O'Donnell from a defender on the left facing the keeper whose only other option was to either kick it out or attempt a perilous clever turn into the oncoming man. Once when Sawyers had literally no other option than to pass back other than attempt to play through three opposing players, and once when there were a number of passes and someone elected a sideways pass rather than an ambitious through ball to a player marked by 2 defenders.

Thus were the 'booing' episodes.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:44 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

I would call it three episodes of mild derision from between 7-15 people from upstairs, once when the ball came back to O'Donnell from a defender on the left facing the keeper whose only other option was to either kick it out or attempt a perilous clever turn into the oncoming man. Once when Sawyers had literally no other option than to pass back other than attempt to play through three opposing players, and once when there were a number of passes and someone elected a sideways pass rather than an ambitious through ball to a player marked by 2 defenders.

You've summed it up pretty well there. I'm sick of the old codgers who sit behind me moan at every pass that doesnt go forward. If they had their way, we'd just lump it aimlessly from centre half every time.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:27 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

You've summed it up pretty well there. I'm sick of the old codgers who sit behind me moan at every pass that doesnt go forward. If they had their way, we'd just lump it aimlessly from centre half every time.

Great post WFC Rob. The arrogance of these people that they think they know professional footballers jobs better than the footballers themselves. Not to mention the risk of players losing possession in dangerous areas because they fear being booed for going sideways.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:39 am

Andy_Petterson wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Great post WFC Rob. The arrogance of these people that they think they know professional footballers jobs better than the footballers themselves. Not to mention the risk of players losing possession in dangerous areas because they fear being booed for going sideways.

A couple of mates came with me to the MK Dons game and were in stitches laughing at the bloke behind us who almost had a coronary every time one of our wide players chose not to play an 80 yard ball from one side of the pitch to another. Players know the limits to their abilities. If you've never hit the target with a shot from 35 yards in your career, you're probably not going to have a shot from there just because a 60 year old bloke in the stands tells you to.

This is another thing about football fans - although they won't admit it themselves, a lot just want to go somewhere on a Saturday where they can hurl abuse at 11 blokes with no consequences for an afternoon. It's great for them at the moment, because they've got an extra guy in the dugout they can justify moaning about too.

<Nat>

Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:08 pm

Read from it what you will,
But I laughed rather then cheered when we scored.
Sometimes you don't get what you deserve and sometimes you get what you don't deserve.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:10 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:A good season to me is top 10 and 60 points.

Bit of a long shot now but still possible with wins v Crawley, Crewe and Oldham.

Please pray tell from whence cometh the goals to 'win' the afforesaid football matches?
As Guest so eloquently pointed out, it has been 8 hours and 8 minutes of footy between our last two.
The squad ain't exactly brimming with goal scoring nous now is it?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:31 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Bit of a long shot now but still possible with wins v Crawley, Crewe and Oldham.

Please pray tell from whence cometh the goals to 'win' the afforesaid football matches?
As Guest so eloquently pointed out, it has been 8 hours and 8 minutes of footy between our last two.

Crewe have let in 70 odd goals I believe so I think there will be a goal or two there, Crawley are hardly an impossible defence to score against and Oldham will just be a dead game at the end of the season.

Another way to look at it is it only requires Bradshaw to finish off one chance at any stage of the game as the backline has responded very well since Wembley or is that too much positivity for one post?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:39 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Crewe have let in 70 odd goals I believe so I think there will be a goal or two there, Crawley are hardly an impossible defence to score against and Oldham will just be a dead game at the end of the season.

Another way to look at it is it only requires Bradshaw to finish off one chance at any stage of the game as the backline has responded very well since Wembley or is that too much positivity for one post?

It's OK, Moaner had us down back in 2012 and that we'd be struggling in the Conference South. Don't tell him playoff chasing Fleetwood have only scored 8 more goals than us. ;)

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:56 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

:lol: What a load of old cack. Oh, hang on a minute I get it...............aaah now then.............. you mean those three episodes and those 7-15 people from upstairs that were sitting next to some rogue antelopes, what a nuisance those scallywags were as they sat 'upstairs' somewhere with their mild mutterings, constant talking with their mouths full and blowing their noses in a noisy way.
I was referring to that first incident when group of wandering minstrels en route to Smethwick deliberately looked at Cook in a funny way just as he was about to take that penalty which led to him passing the ball to Brian Eastwick, our new sponge man, who deliberately, and without any care or abandon, promptly punted the ball back to O'Donnell. This was obviously met with a chorus of boos from the entire home and away crowd who were naturally disappointed that Smith hadn't been awarded the BEM he so richly deserves. The second and third mild incidents are however subject to a High Court injunction over a dispute after the seventeen players that were marking O'Donnell forcing him to pass to himself for over half an hour.
Obviously there has been no mention of the numerous chants emanating from the Tile Choice End - including 'Attack, attack, attack attack attack' or 'All we are saying is give us a goal' because there were too many people drying the tears from their eyes and swapping notes counting the '7-15 people from upstairs' who, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, were probably sat next to those pesky antelopes.

ps you forgot to mention that Sawyers, when he faced those 7-15 players, had been injected with 'anti pass the ball forward' drugs by the corrupt evil referee and also the one occasion when you mentioned 'someone' passed the ball sideways he was probably an double agent planted in our team to deliberately undermine the fine attacking play of Smith's team.

I hope that all our readers now have a fully accurate picture of your recollections of yesterdays game.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:00 pm

Cully wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

:lol: What a load of old cack. Oh, hang on a minute I get it...............aaah now then.............. you mean those three episodes and those 7-15 people from upstairs that were sitting next to some rogue antelopes, what a nuisance those scallywags were as they sat 'upstairs' somewhere with their mild mutterings, constant talking with their mouths full and blowing their noses in a noisy way.
I was referring to that first incident when group of wandering minstrels en route to Smethwick deliberately looked at Cook in a funny way just as he was about to take that penalty which led to him passing the ball to Brian Eastwick, our new sponge man, who deliberately, and without any care or abandon, promptly punted the ball back to O'Donnell. This was obviously met with a chorus of boos from the entire home and away crowd who were naturally disappointed that Smith hadn't been awarded the BEM he so richly deserves. The second and third mild incidents are however subject to a High Court injunction over a dispute after the seventeen players that were marking O'Donnell forcing him to pass to himself for over half an hour.
Obviously there has been no mention of the numerous chants emanating from the Tile Choice End - including 'Attack, attack, attack attack attack' or 'All we are saying is give us a goal' because there were too many people drying the tears from their eyes and swapping notes counting the '7-15 people from upstairs' who, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, were probably sat next to those pesky antelopes.

ps you forgot to mention that Sawyers, when he faced those 7-15 players, had been injected with 'anti pass the ball forward' drugs by the corrupt evil referee and also the one occasion when you mentioned 'someone' passed the ball sideways he was probably an double agent planted in our team to deliberately undermine the fine attacking play of Smith's team.

I hope that all our readers now have a fully accurate picture of your recollections of yesterdays game.

:shock: :lol:

And people moan it's boring at the Bescot.

Anyway, who is "Smith"?

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:04 pm

I liked the "we'll score a goal don't don't know we're don't know when" song I didn't count how many people we're singing it though I'd guess at 300 :lol: also the "That Ashley Grimes he'll score when he wants" quite funny watching him not knowing that we're actually taking the piss well Ashley we are.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:07 pm

otiswfc wrote:I liked the "we'll score a goal don't don't know we're don't know when" song I didn't count how many people we're singing it though I'd guess at 300 :lol: also the "That Ashley Grimes he'll score when he wants" quite funny watching him not knowing that we're actually taking the piss well Ashley we are.

Please do not post any more factual information until Kleenex have had chance to restock this notice board.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:21 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

Sorry I didn't answer your question about booing when we scored, I couldn't hear any from those 7-15 people sat somewhere upstairs next to the antelopes.
I hope that answers your query.

ps I will be attending our next home match and the away game at Crewe and will be delighted to present my usual unbiased and fair-minded report on the games.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:48 pm

What the .... :shock: :D

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:01 pm

I think our performance yesterday was even more pedestrian than what has become the norm, if that's possible.

Without a wonderfully timed strike from Bradshaw we would have continued our acceleration to the bottom four.

The goal was a huge relief.

Without wishing to overstate my own footballing ability, I am convinced that I wouldn't look out of place in the team (offensively), as I am more than capable of making safe passes to a teammate across the line, or even back, punting occasionally into space or touch and I can definitely do risky fancy flicks that don't come off.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be much good defending owing to my age and fitness, so I'm unlikely to get a call up.

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:34 pm

Ashley Grimes is not responsible for the goal drought, he has beeen played out of position all season...blame the manager....also Grimes has been given lots of 10 minute slots to turn things around......not enough time

If you want to blame any of the players, I would point more towards Sawyers who is too slow in delivering the simple pass into space....or loses possession, but again the manager is to blame for always preferring him and not correcting his errors

Very convenient for managers to let the blame fall on low tally strikers who haven't been given a fair run....when in reality the problem is a tactical/formation one

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:10 pm

The Bosted Slab wrote:Without wishing to overstate my own footballing ability, I am convinced that I wouldn't look out of place in the team (offensively), as I am more than capable of making safe passes to a teammate across the line, or even back, punting occasionally into space or touch and I can definitely do risky fancy flicks that don't come off.

Strangely, for a humorous post, you may well have summed up our attendance situation.
People will not pay to watch football where they, rightly or wrongly, feel they can do better themselves.
Entertainment has to be performed by people more skilled than you are or it's not entertainment.

paddy
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:22 pm

sallian wrote:Ashley Grimes is not responsible for the goal drought, he has beeen played out of position all season...blame the manager....also Grimes has been given lots of 10 minute slots to turn things around......not enough time

If you want to blame any of the players, I would point more towards Sawyers who is too slow in delivering the simple pass into space....or loses possession, but again the manager is to blame for always preferring him and not correcting his errors

Very convenient for managers to let the blame fall on low tally strikers who haven't been given a fair run....when in reality the problem is a tactical/formation one

Totally agree

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season