Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough United (A) League One Mon 6th Apr, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Darth Vader
Site Addict

Re: Peterborough United (A) League One Mon 6th Apr, 3pm

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:00 pm

Good point overall but no goals again, dunno how we played and if it was just a bad day at the office for posh.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:00 pm

Just heard that Romaine Sawyers hasn't scored in 26 games.

Another one to add to the plethora of horrifying stats from the last year under Dean Smith.

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:02 pm

todays relegation table now
15 Walsall 40 -6 48
Moving down 16 Port Vale 41 -10 48
No movement 17 Scunthorpe 39 -10 47
No movement 18 Coventry 41 -11 47
Moving up 19 Crawley 41 -20 47
No movement 20 Leyton Orient 40 -3 46
Moving down 21 Crewe 41 -33 46
Moving down 22 Notts County 40 -13 45
No movement 23 Colchester 40 -14 44

I was thinking 50 would see us safe I'm not so sure now :shock: few teams all so close sounds like we mullered them today but we need to take chances or else we will be rueing our bad luck in league 2 over the summer

peteborough had lost their last 2 games against relegation scrapping teams so really had to push to beat us so the performance can't of been bad but just wander where the goals are gonna come from at the minute... what i'd do to see 1 more butler header from a corner or free kick to win us a game

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:02 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:It looks as though Port Fail have lost at Rochdale, which means we climb up to 15th place :shock: :shock:

:mrgreen:

A point from Peterborough (away), 15 attempts on goal against their 11 - this shows some improvement.....

Don't let any positivity get in the way of the usual tidal wave of negativity from the usual suspects please :mrgreen:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:04 pm

SaddlerCraig wrote:todays relegation table now
15 Walsall 40 -6 48

I was thinking 50 would see us safe I'm not so sure now :shock: few teams all so close sounds like we mullered them today but we need to take chances or else we will be rueing our bad luck in league 2 over the summer

peteborough had lost their last 2 games against relegation scrapping teams so really had to push to beat us so the performance can't of been bad but just wander where the goals are gonna come from at the minute... what i'd do to see 1 more butler header from a corner or free kick to win us a game

It's so tight that anyone of those teams can sleep walk in to relegation. We're 15th today, but if results go the wrong way next weekend we could be 21st.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:08 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
15 Walsall 40 -6 48

It's so tight that anyone of those teams can sleep walk in to relegation. We're 15th today, but if results go the wrong way next weekend we could be 21st.

Don't think so Phil

Crewe v Orient
Scunthorpe v Crawley

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:10 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:It looks as though Port Fail have lost at Rochdale, which means we climb up to 15th place :shock: :shock:

A point from Peterborough (away), 15 attempts on goal against their 11 - this shows some improvement.....

Don't let any positivity get in the way of the usual tidal wave of negativity from the usual suspects please :mrgreen:

I'll wait for some match reports first to be honest, anyone can have a pop on target it doesn't mean much unless it's a goal. Good point though like I happily said!

motty
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:11 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

CLAP CLAP CLAP.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:12 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
15 Walsall 40 -6 48

Don't think so Phil

Crewe v Orient
Scunthorpe v Crawley

20th then you pedant. Point still remains, it's so tight, teams can jump or drop massively in one day.

<Nat>

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:19 pm

15th now... bigger you are the harder you fall
Delusions of Grandeur for the unsuspecting fool.
2 points...
Sigh...

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:22 pm

It is no wonder we struggle to score goals when our second "striker" has not scored for 26 games! Some weeks ago I raised the conundrum that is Romaine Sawyers. We cannot play him in a traditional midfield role so I think it would be in our best interests to offload him in the summer. He is very skillful but is a luxury at our level.
Anyway a good point today although looking at the stats and hearing the reports on WM it should have been three. UTS

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:34 pm

TheSwift wrote:On a positive note, Jake Heath (on loan at Rush all) has scored a second half hat trick today.

Not very positive when you know Walsall have already told him he's surplus to requirements and are just paying his wages till the end of the season. Aaron Williams scored again apparently that's 35 this season.
Would Grimes,Cook or Sawyers score 35 even at that level? Would they fudge.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:35 pm

Walsallone wrote:It is no wonder we struggle to score goals when our second "striker" has not scored for 26 games! Some weeks ago I raised the conundrum that is Romaine Sawyers. We cannot play him in a traditional midfield role so I think it would be in our best interests to offload him in the summer. He is very skillful but is a luxury at our level.
Anyway a good point today although looking at the stats and hearing the reports on WM it should have been three. UTS

Sounds like the team put a shift in today. A point from Peterborough is a good result. I agree with dropping Sawyers to the bench. At this stage in our season we don't need fancy flicks that don't come off. We need to be more direct. Hopefully, Bradshaw will be back in for Fleetwood and we should play a conventional 442 with Hiwula or Grimes playing alongside him. We can bring Sawyers on when we are 3 - 0 up in the second half.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:38 pm

Decent performance, defensively sound again with good build up play...

However we have zero end product, as well as over complicating things offensively too. At one point A Chambers went passed 2 and instead of shooting from just outside the six yard box tries to go passed another. At another Sawyers from a similar position chose to lay off the ball to Morris further away from goal than shoot himself.

Morris and Cain my MOTM's offensively. Morris was excellent, inventive and carried the ball well. I think he needs to play on the left however as he likes to cut in on his left foot which doesn't look as good as the right. Cain was the only one willing to shoot!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:49 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
15 Walsall 40 -6 48

Don't think so Phil

Crewe v Orient
Scunthorpe v Crawley

20th then you pedant. Point still remains, it's so tight, teams can jump or drop massively in one day.

I wasn't being pedantic, Phil, I was countering your usual negativity (as with your most recent thread on AAW). The odds of us being 20th next Saturday are pretty remote and the reason you wrote 21st is because it just happens to be a relegation place which would enable you to gloat on here.

Fixtures.

Scunthorpe away at MK tomorrow and home to Crawley on Saturday
Port Vale v MK
Crewe v Orient
Coventry v Colchester
Walsall v Fleetwood

Go and cover the combinations of the above - it'll be a nice accumulator.

Oh, and if we win and results go our way, we could be in sight of the line. I know which scenario i will be rooting for.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:00 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
15 Walsall 40 -6 48

Don't think so Phil

Crewe v Orient
Scunthorpe v Crawley

I wasn't being pedantic, Phil, I was countering your usual negativity (as with your most recent thread on AAW). The odds of us being 20th next Saturday are pretty remote and the reason you wrote 21st is because it just happens to be a relegation place which would enable you to gloat on here.

Fixtures.

Scunthorpe away at MK tomorrow and home to Crawley on Saturday
Port Vale v MK
Crewe v Orient
Coventry v Colchester
Walsall v Fleetwood

Go and cover the combinations of the above - it'll be a nice accumulator.

Oh, and if we win and results go our way, we could be in sight of the line. I know which scenario i will be rooting for.

In sight of the line?

How exciting!

You were being a pedant - as you always are. My opinion has been constant on Dean all season, he's taking us nowhere, yours on the other hand has gone from full support and vitriol for those saying otherwise to sitting on the fence correcting people about the potential of being 20th or 21st. That's pretty sad.

If you're unable to see when a team and a manager have anything about them, don't criticise those who can.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:06 pm

I'm not sitting on the fence Phil, I am still fully behind the club, which includes the manager and the players.

And again, I was not being pedantic, just factual, the very facts that you have conveniently ignored again in your response.

Yes, you are consistent, I will give you that. I find it strange that whatever the club does, however the results go, whoever the manager is, you will always find fault.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:47 pm

If anyone's interested and is into all this twitter malarkey, I've created a fan account to ramble on about the club, Smith et all.

Its called AllSaddledUp. Name is to do with us but also draws in horsey fellows and BDSM practicers.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:49 pm

A decent point, even though we were poor in front of goal. You cant say we're unlucky if we have 15 shots and don't score. We're creeping towards safety by virtue of our defence, but the next three games are massive. Irrespective of what happens regarding relegation a change is needed.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:51 pm

TheSwift wrote:If anyone's interested and is into all this twitter malarkey, I've created a fan account to ramble on about the club, Smith et all.

Its called AllSaddledUp. Name is to do with us but also draws in horsey fellows and BDSM practicers.

Super! All three of my hobbies in one place.

m&m
Glitterati

Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:52 pm

Another 5 goal less draws and we will just about drag ourselves over the finish line I reckon.
In a strange sort of way I hope we can do this and set some kind of record for 0-0 draws.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:54 pm

That would take us to 13 and a half hours without scoring, no doubt another record!

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:07 pm

m&m wrote:Another 5 goal less draws and we will just about drag ourselves over the finish line I reckon.
In a strange sort of way I hope we can do this and set some kind of record for 0-0 draws.

We could have our own unique chant Arsenal always used to sing 1-0 to the Arsenal in George Grahams days, we could start singing 0-0 to the saddlers, actually no bad idea it will be the fan's fault then sarcasm in the crowd stops teams winning football game's on the pitch now apparently.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:13 pm

otiswfc wrote:
TheSwift wrote:On a positive note, Jake Heath (on loan at Rush all) has scored a second half hat trick today.

Not very positive when you know Walsall have already told him he's surplus to requirements and are just paying his wages till the end of the season. Aaron Williams scored again apparently that's 35 this season.

Aren't they four leagues below League One? Don't be such a drama queen.

bangsection
Site Addict

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:20 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Decent performance, defensively sound again with good build up play...

However we have zero end product, as well as over complicating things offensively too. At one point A Chambers went passed 2 and instead of shooting from just outside the six yard box tries to go passed another. At another Sawyers from a similar position chose to lay off the ball to Morris further away from goal than shoot himself.

Morris and Cain my MOTM's offensively. Morris was excellent, inventive and carried the ball well. I think he needs to play on the left however as he likes to cut in on his left foot which doesn't look as good as the right. Cain was the only one willing to shoot!

Agree with that. When I saw the team was unchanged I was hoping he'd shuffle the front three - Morris on the left, Cook on the right, Hiwula up top. The budding Alex Fergusons amongst us might call it playing players in their natural positions but no such luck. Hiwula in particular looked lost on the left. Cook and Morris battled gamely but we're so frustrating in the final third, as Jonny says, either over complicating things or allowing the opposition to get back in numbers and getting crowded out.

The frustrating thing is that Posh were woeful. Short and - Bostwick aside - not particularly physical - exactly the sort of team we love playing against.

O'Connor the pick of our defenders, Cain the pick of our midfielders, Sawyers the pick of our frustrating number 10s, O'Donnell the pick of our goalkeepers. That pub on the big boat the pick of the pubs.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:22 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
otiswfc wrote:

Aren't they four leagues below League One? Don't be such a drama queen.

They are but that doesn't stop our manager and Richard of Kelly going to see their player's on a regular basis.
What's drama queen about it. :?
It's a fact.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:53 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:I will destroy my head on the small Boro turnstiles, and forget a 1-0 win courtesy of Morris through memory loss.

One of these things came true :oops:

2nd time I've done that in two seasons. My arse also hurts from the wooden seat's and my knees hurt from the seat in front making me need to do the splits to sit straight.

motty
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:35 pm

We needed a striker in the loan window,I know Deano likes to kiss Jeffs arse and see how little he can keep us in the league for though so wasn't/isn't ever going to happen.

If we go down it will be solely Dean Smiths fault for being an arrogant clueless dickhead. there is no need for all this if he would just play 2 upfront and new how to use wingers correctly, and saying we didn't need anything in the window when quite clearly we do. he may aswell send Bakayoko on holiday for the remainder of the season he clearly resents playing him.

Seeing Grimes name on the team sheet makes me feel physically sick, and if he and "O'blame everyone else" are not gone next season i'm going to pay for a seaon ticket for ROTATE man in club 1888 so his matchday experience is ruined also.

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:03 pm

Sadsfan wrote:
TheSwift wrote:If anyone's interested and is into all this twitter malarkey, I've created a fan account to ramble on about the club, Smith et all.

Super! All three of my hobbies in one place.

Pity that you're not into necrophilia too - you could be flogging a dead horse..

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:24 pm

Probably the best we have played since the first half of the Rochdale game, however that's probably more of a reflection on how poor we have been rather than how good we were today.

For all the slick build up play, I'm struggling to think of a real meaningful save their 'keeper had to make as our shooting was wasteful to say the least. I thought we looked very solid at the back with O'Connor having another impressive game and Taylor was back to his usual self after a few 'iffy' matches.

The substitution of Sawyers and reverting to the three man midfield of Mantom, Cain and Chambers pretty much stopped us having any real creativity in the final third for the last 20 minutes or so. I think we missed a trick by not pulling Cook off for Forde and having Jordy up front with two natural wingers in Forde and Morris with Sawyers in the hole, their back line (I think it was a three) didn't look comfortable at all until Sawyers was replaced.

Decent point, but it feels like another missed opportunity as they were there for the taking and a win would have eased a lot of pressure. Another massive game on Saturday, let's hope Bradhshaw is back fit and raring to go!

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season