Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (H) League One Friday 3 Apr, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Notts County (H) League One Friday 3 Apr, 3pm

Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:02 am

The match thread's a bit early this week as it's a Friday fixture. We welcome Notts County, the longest established professional football club in the world but who find themselves in the relegation mire which will affect us if we don't start winning occasionally. County are on 43 points, above the relegation line but level with Crawley whose goal difference is worse (-22 against County's -13). Shaun Derry was sacked as manager a week ago along with assistant Greg Abbott based on their performance of 3 wins in the previous 24 games (sound familiar?), on the same day that Aileen Trew (wife of the Chairman) was confirmed in her post as Chief Executive following Jim Rodwell's defection to Scunthorpe. Current form:

3 Mar Colchester United (A) Won 0-1
7 Mar Swindon Town (A) Lost 3-0
14 Mar Bradford City (H) Drew 1-1
17 Mar Rochdale (H) Lost 1-2
21 Mar M K Dons (A) Lost 4-1
28 Mar Scunthorpe (H) Drew 2-2

Leading scorers (similar to Chesterfield) are all midfielders - Thompson (10) and 4 each for Campbell-Ryce and Noble. Noble's reputation precedes him - 13 yellow and 3 red cards this season. :shock:

Will Dean Smith have a "Plan B" for this one? What's the "Plan A" if it comes to that? We should have Romaine Sawyers back as long as he's recovered from jet-lag, but Tom Bradshaw's appearance has to be in doubt after he didn't even make the bench at Chesterfield. It is to be hoped that R O'D has been practising catching high crosses while being challenged rather than carrying out solo efforts that look splendid but bear no relation to what happens in an actual game.

Put simply, this is one we really do have to win. Forget any play-off aspirations, let's achieve safety and look forward to Blackpool next season - I'll go for a nervy 2-0 home win, with Jordy Hiwula and Sam Mantom netting.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Notts County (H) League One Friday 3 Apr, 3pm

Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:05 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:The match thread's a bit early this week as it's a Friday fixture. We welcome Notts County, the longest established professional football club in the world but who find themselves in the relegation mire which will affect us if we don't start winning occasionally. County are on 43 points, above the relegation line but level with Crawley whose goal difference is worse (-22 against County's -13). Shaun Derry was sacked as manager a week ago along with assistant Greg Abbott based on their performance of 3 wins in the previous 24 games (sound familiar?), on the same day that Aileen Trew (wife of the Chairman) was confirmed in her post as Chief Executive following Jim Rodwell's defection to Scunthorpe. Current form:

Leading scorers (similar to Chesterfield) are all midfielders - Thompson (10) and 4 each for Campbell-Ryce and Noble. Noble's reputation precedes him - 13 yellow and 3 red cards this season. :shock:

Will Dean Smith have a "Plan B" for this one? What's the "Plan A" if it comes to that? We should have Romaine Sawyers back as long as he's recovered from jet-lag, but Tom Bradshaw's appearance has to be in doubt after he didn't even make the bench at Chesterfield. It is to be hoped that R O'D has been practising catching high crosses while being challenged rather than carrying out solo efforts that look splendid but bear no relation to what happens in an actual game.

Put simply, this is one we really do have to win. Forget any play-off aspirations, let's achieve safety and look forward to Blackpool next season - I'll go for a nervy 2-0 home win, with Jordy Hiwula and Sam Mantom netting.

When was the last time you visited Blackpool, Welsh? It is an utter cack bed.

Anyway. A scrappy 1-0 win in front of 4476. Forde with the goal.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:17 am

0-1 Smith to blame supporter's for shouting sarcastic remarks. But says we'll win next week as long as someone actually score's a goal.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:59 am

chestersaddler wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:The match thread's a bit early this week as it's a Friday fixture. We welcome Notts County, the longest established professional football club in the world but who find themselves in the relegation mire which will affect us if we don't start winning occasionally. County are on 43 points, above the relegation line but level with Crawley whose goal difference is worse (-22 against County's -13). Shaun Derry was sacked as manager a week ago along with assistant Greg Abbott based on their performance of 3 wins in the previous 24 games (sound familiar?), on the same day that Aileen Trew (wife of the Chairman) was confirmed in her post as Chief Executive following Jim Rodwell's defection to Scunthorpe. Current form:

When was the last time you visited Blackpool, Welsh? It is an utter cack bed.

Anyway. A scrappy 1-0 win in front of 4476. Forde with the goal.

Haven't been to Blackpool for years, I must confess. Last time I went it was to see us lose (2-0 I think) and all I recall that day is that we were allocated an "open-air" stand that took the full impact of a gale-force wind coming in off the Irish Sea. That experience doesn't stop me hoping for better things in the future though....... :wink:

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:54 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Forget any play-off aspirations.

:shock: :?

Who, apart from the most deluded (fans and players) have ben thinking of play-offs for the last month or two?

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:16 pm

My patience is starting to wear a bit thin now. I will probably start drawing up my who-to-keep, who-to-release and who-to-sign list for next season after this match.

1 - 1 O'Connor 93rd minute.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:20 pm

tinned wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Forget any play-off aspirations.

:shock: :?

Who, apart from the most deluded (fans and players) have ben thinking of play-offs for the last month or two?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Only those who are out of touch with reality.

I fear a 1-0 reverse in this one, too, in front of 3,859, including 452 from Nottingham.

JJunior9
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:29 pm

This game is certainly not for passengers and this worries me given that the current first-team squad has plenty of them:

Bradshaw- questionable fitness
Sawyers - possible jet-lag
Purkiss - too many goals conceded come from his part of the pitch
Benning -not football league standard
Mantom - not 100% fit, especially for a 'war of attrition'
Cook - when was the last time he had a decent game?

Therefore, my team for Friday would be:
O'Donnell

Chambers J (at RB)
O'Connor
Downing
Taylor

Kinsella (to offer pace, energy and legs to the right-flank and offer some defensive support to Chambers)
Cain (did not deserve to be dropped in the first-place)
Adam Chambers (one for the battle)
Forde (needs to put in a performance)

Hiwula
Grimes (I'd rather have him than Cook - remember that Grimes only has a one-year deal and he is a centre-forward)

I would put Bradshaw, Cook, Sawyers and Mantom on the bench for reasons of fitness, form, jet-lag and the need for cotton-wool (respectively). I have also been impressed with Flanagan's new found aggression lately and along with Macgillivray and Purkiss , that represents a reasonable depth in my view.

There won't be a lot of quality but any of the 'subs' could change a game in the last twenty minutes.

For me it is a 'must not lose' game. A win against Notts County might bring a performance against Posh. 2 wins and the league table takes on a different complexion. Lose against County and we are stuffed.

paddy
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:40 pm

1-2 with Taylor scoring for us late on

Smith to revert to the usual formation with Sawyers in for baxendale & cook back out grazing on the wing

Only other change will be Downing for O'Connor. For no other reason that Smith hasn't a clue what he's doing

Excuse will be the wind calmed down 2nd half & it affected the dimensions of our game :roll:

JJunior9
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:53 pm

The fact that I even forgot Baxendale existed accounts for his general contribution to the club since being awarded a 3-year-contract after Paterson's departure. He looks like one of the mascots when he runs out and makes a similar contribution to the overall result.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:53 pm

This has become quite a massive game all of a sudden. Notts currently have Paul Hart in charge don't they? They've fallen totally off the cliff as I'm sure when Walsall went there in November they were 3rd or something so I'd imagine their form over a 20 game period is pretty wretched.

Bradshaw needs to be fit for this. If he is I fancy a 2-1 win. This is a pretty lopsided fixture really, in recent years Walsall always win at Meadow Lane and Notts usually take something here.

<Nat>

Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:09 pm

Until recently I never thought I'd say this, this season, 6 pointer as the phrase goes...
A draw with both teams not deserving anything and letting other teams escape relegation while we sink into it.
Prediction: 0-0, 3560 saddlers and 420 Nott's.

Ghostofwalsallpast
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:48 pm

0:0

saddla
Site Addict

Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:37 am

Just our luck they get a new manager in for friday and play their socks off:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32115632

PT
Site Addict

Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:29 pm

Can't make this one. Last home game I missed we won (Rochdale) so hoping my absence does the trick again.

Every bit of logic suggests that this will be an ugly game with one or two moments deciding it. I hope those moments or even that moment falls our way and we come out with a 1-0 win. Just have this horrible feeling though.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:18 pm

O'Donnell

Chambers
Downing
O'Connor
Taylor

Mantom
Cain
Chambers (Sigh - Flanagan isn't ready)

Sawyers

Hiwula
Bradshaw

A narrow 4-3-1-2. We miss Sawyers ball retention 30 yards from goal, every time we play 4-4-2 or without him the ball gets launched forward as nobody can hold it, so it comes back constantly and we are under pressure. Sawyers doesn't offer enough goal threat however, so I'd go with him at the top of a diamond or as an attacking midfielder and 2 forwards so we look a threat. Having 3 central midfielders shouldn't see us exposed defensively as both our wingers are poor defensively. The only time we had a touch on Saturday was when Smith went 4-5-1 with all 3 central midfielders on in the middle of the pitch. If Smith goes with 2 wingers, he has to play with Sawyers..so you don't get 2 direct centre forwards. Purkiss needs a rest, he got skinned all over the shop at Chesterfield, his confidence has taken a blow.

0-2 County.
751 from Meadow lane. 4,021.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:47 pm

saddla wrote:Just our luck they get a new manager in for friday and play their socks off:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32115632

Ricardo Moniz??? Is he the foreign Dicky Dosh?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:02 am

Loads of negativity on here so far (thought that was my job! :D ). We HAVE to put in a performance, otherwise as mentioned above, we are almost stuffed, as I cant see us getting anything from Posh on Monday, and that would see us in deep do do's. :(
0-0 for me too, we have just forgotten how to score.
Last edited by Ancient Moaner on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:00 pm

Really, really need a result one thinks. 0 - 0 says the heart, 3998 attendance. I'm not overly worried about relegation but it would be nice to put it to bed.

I still think Dean Smith should be our manager. Our position in the league in relation to the relegation zone is poor however. I would have expected us to at least have 50 - 52 points by now and be comfortable. The team he has should be able to relaxingly avoid relegation. I'm sure the questions over which league we'll be in next season are causing issues in regards to contracts and how much money he has available to him.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:32 pm

and not only that Soton ....it means we cannot risk bringing in some of the younger players at the minute. I would like to see Preston,Morris ,Flanagan and Bakayoko given some extended game time but that just isn't possible in our position. We have made a right mess of things since getting to Wembley!

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:32 pm

Moniz apparently can't go to Notts for family reasons.

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:45 pm

Bakayoko scored for the reserves today away at port Vale. Probably means he'll be on the bench for Friday's game.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:02 pm

Can I be bothered to make the 200 mile round trip to watch us not try to win? Can I fudge.

PT
Site Addict

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:58 pm

saddla wrote:Bakayoko scored for the reserves today away at port Vale. Probably means he'll be on the bench for Friday's game.

With less than 70,000 expected on Friday a Bradshaw return looks unlikely so Bakayoko will probably feature.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:03 pm

Come on now that's a cheap shot considering Bradshaw a) has had hamstring struggle all season and b) actually had a flipping good season anyway.

PT
Site Addict

Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:18 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Come on now that's a cheap shot considering Bradshaw a) has had hamstring struggle all season and b) actually had a flipping good season anyway.

He has had a hamstring problem all season, and it was obvious he had one when we played at Wembley. His absence in the preceding and the following game demonstrate this. There's a chance we won't see him now until next season when we might well be in the fourth division. Patching him up and letting him play in the big game may well directly contribute to that. And yes, the reason that his absence could contribute to that is that he is a bloody good player who has had a bloody good season.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:49 am

Walsallone wrote:and not only that Soton ....it means we cannot risk bringing in some of the younger players at the minute. I would like to see Preston,Morris ,Flanagan and Bakayoko given some extended game time but that just isn't possible in our position. We have made a right mess of things since getting to Wembley!

Good point. Bakayoko and Morris hopefully should be able to step up to senior next season. Haven't seen anything of Preston or Morris so impossible for me to comment on that.

paddy
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:55 am

Soton Saddler wrote:
Walsallone wrote:and not only that Soton ....it means we cannot risk bringing in some of the younger players at the minute. I would like to see Preston,Morris ,Flanagan and Bakayoko given some extended game time but that just isn't possible in our position. We have made a right mess of things since getting to Wembley!

Good point. Bakayoko and Morris hopefully should be able to step up to senior next season. Haven't seen anything of Preston or Morris so impossible for me to comment on that.

Won't step up next season if Smith is here. He claims to give youth a chance but hadn't really done so. When ever he's played any of the kids this season he's dropped them as soon as a senior player is fit again

Wouldn't surprise me if Morris & bakayoko are both released in the summer

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:09 am

This has turned into a really big game, I think a win for us will see us safe however a defeat will drag us right into the mire.

I'm hoping for a nervy 1-0 win with Forde getting the goal. Realistically though I can see another uninspiring defeat. :(

Onto the team I'd go with:

O'Donnell

Purkiss
Chambers
Downing
Taylor

Forde
Mantom
Chambers
Morris

Sawyers

Hiwula (Assuming Bradshaw is injured).

(I also don't think pushing J.Chambers to RB and O'Connor into CB would be a bad idea either).

4,146 with 425 from Notts.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:17 pm

A must win game lose this and in deep trouble not worried as smith said play like at chesterfield and will beat county easily.Could see history made zero shots on goal ,zero goals yet we win.
Need to change team but know it will be usual players boring us.

0-1

Next
Return to 2014-15 Season