Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (H) League One Friday 3 Apr, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
<Nat>

Re: Notts County (H) League One Friday 3 Apr, 3pm

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:57 pm

Same shite, Different day.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:31 pm

Ive been critical of referees of late - but a word for the referee today, who I thought was excellent in comparison to recent referees.

You could make an argument to say he should have booked one of their lads in the 2nd half for kicking the ball away, but he, and his assistants were generally spot on today, which was a breath of fresh air.

As for Dean Smiths comments - well like I said last week, it's telling when a manager starting to babble complete nonsense after a game, it's a sign he's out of his depth and really struggling. I know a lot of managers tend to protect their players and avoid criticism, but it seems to me that he has a genuine belief that week in week out it's bad luck, or it's the pitch, or it's the officials, or it's the wind...and that it's never performance levels. I mean, come on, we've won 1 in 11 and I dont think he has once criticised the performance levels. That's just not right. What other manager would say that kind of run of form is acceptable?

Having said that, WM annoy me, I'd really like to hear them ask some rather more taxing questions of Dean, a couple of starters for 10:

- Why do you play a winger up front and a striker on the wing?
- Have you ever considered reverting to playing 2 men up front in light of recent goal scoring troubles at home?

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:34 pm

Anyone hear the rest of that Smith interview? Heard it on WM.

I think he's actually gone mad. He reckons we should have had 9 points from the last three home games, and that we have been an attacking team all season! That why we have the second lowest goals scored in the division Dean?

Also, owing to the pant-wettingly exciting carnival of attacking brilliance that was the 5 minutes mid way through the second half, the team (direct quote) "managed to get the supporters arses out of their seats" when we hit the woodwork. Yet another little dig at the fans there, Dean? Do you not think that your utterly stubbornly boring, sideways, tactically clueless football might have something to do with the general apathy at home matches? Maybe its something to do with two seasons of record-lows in the scoring department. But its ok, just the like the other week, blame the supporters. There's only one winner if you turn on us, my friend.

Two seasons of this now. This is not luck, or things 'not going our way' - this is plain and true a demonstration that this back patting, 'football philosophy' barclays-fest that the club spout is NOT WORKING.

How he can possibly be happy with the home performances in the last 2 seasons is utterly beyond me. Today was just like 9 out of 10 home games - sloppy, dreary, uninspired, aimless grot. Notts County were awful, and if we finish below them, we deserve to go down.

WE PLAY FOOTBALL THE WAY, THE WAY IT SHOULD....OH YEAHHHH

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:35 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Those 90 minutes summed up the plights of two relegation scrapers pretty well in the end. We were marginally the better side, which was just as well because County were atrocious - comfortably the worst team I've seen us play this season. The fact it ended 0-0 shows just how lacklustre we are in the final third.

On a positive note, we were considerably better than at Chesterfield, which was probably down to that bit more impetus Cain and Morris gave us. O'Connor was solid again, the fullbacks were nowhere near as wasteful, and in Morris we had someone capable of beating an opposition player - something I genuinely think none of his teammates are capable of at this moment in time.

Our struggles are down to a combination of factors - tiring legs and poor recruitment. The Chambers twins both seem to be really struggling, yet they also seem shoe-ins for a place in the side each week. With Adam I can understand - club captain and has the kind of defensive discipline Cain and Mantom don't. With James however, it doesn't seem to make quite so much sense. The only thing I can put it down to is how shaky Downing looks when he plays alongside O'Connor - who now seems to have bizarrely found his the first name on our teamsheet.

Hitting the woodwork three times in two minutes and missing two great chances in the first half isn't unlucky - it's the result of very poor recruitment followed by a weak team selection. Why play an out of form winger on his own up front, when you've got two strikers sat on the bench - and another looking like a fish out of water on the left wing? Yes, Bradshaw was injured, but to be relying on him so heavily in the first place is a daft gamble.

I'm not quite in the Smith Out camp, but my patience is starting to wear pretty thin. The 'sexy football' of 18 months or so ago has now dissolved into a style of football with no purpose, we have nothing resembling a plan B, and the team selections have become so erratic I genuinely don't think a lot of the players know what their jobs are. Which one of O'Connor and Chambers is the ball-winner and which is the one sweeping behind? Is Adam Chambers the one sitting in front of the back four, or is that Cain's job? The spine of the team looks all over the place all of a sudden, which is playing its part in a really worrying run of form. 18 months ago, while we were by no means prolific scorers, you could at least see a method and a style in there somewhere. Now, it's come to the point where the formula probably needs rewriting from scratch in the summer, whether we stay up or not.

Almost entirely spot on.

The point of the "spine" of the team is true - there's been so much chopping and changing this season that it must be having an affect on both players knowledge of their role in the side, and their morale.

We'd have probably won that game today with ANYBODY else in charge, someone with fresh ideas. County were truly awful, a league 2 side if ever i've seen one, and an average one at that - they were there for the taking.

Playing Hiwula in his natural position may well have won that game for us today - but Smith for some reason decides to put Cook up top.

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:40 pm

saddlersjse wrote:Anyone hear the rest of that Smith interview? Heard it on WM.

I think he's actually gone mad. He reckons we should have had 9 points from the last three home games, and that we have been an attacking team all season! That why we have the second lowest goals scored in the division Dean?

Also, owing to the pant-wettingly exciting carnival of attacking brilliance that was the 5 minutes mid way through the second half, the team (direct quote) "managed to get the supporters arses out of their seats" when we hit the woodwork. Yet another little dig at the fans there, Dean? Do you not think that your utterly stubbornly boring, sideways, tactically clueless football might have something to do with the general apathy at home matches? Maybe its something to do with two seasons of record-lows in the scoring department. But its ok, just the like the other week, blame the supporters. There's only one winner if you turn on us, my friend.

Two seasons of this now. This is not luck, or things 'not going our way' - this is plain and true a demonstration that this back patting, 'football philosophy' barclays-fest that the club spout is NOT WORKING.

How he can possibly be happy with the home performances in the last 2 seasons is utterly beyond me. Today was just like 9 out of 10 home games - sloppy, dreary, uninspired, aimless grot. Notts County were awful, and if we finish below them, we deserve to go down.

12 wins in 43 home games! Let that sink in a moment. And Smith (and some fans) think it is acceptable?

FFS let's rid ourselves of this rent-an-excuse prat once and for all.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:49 pm

Unlucky not to win. But if you can't score a goal against that Notts County team you really are in trouble. Relegation or not, I have serious doubts about Smith's ability to take us forward.

I don't expect us to challenge for promotion, but I do expect us to play football that is occasionally exciting to watch and yields that rarest of commodities known as goals.

This is the second season in a row that we have been woeful in the goal scoring department. That can only be down to the manager and his style of play.

Smith stubbornly sticks to a formation that worked two years ago, but has built a squad that aren't suited to it.

A few notes on indivdual performances;

O'Donell - Even against this dreadful County team we would have lost without him.

Sawyers - Doesn't do enough. I'm not a Sawyers hater, it's clear he has quality, but for those of you who rave about him why exactly do you think he's so good? He just doesn't bring enough to the side to justify the fact it's essentially built around him in my opinion. If we had another good striker and wingers who scored in double figures we could afford him, but unfortunately we don't.

Cook - At least he got in some good positions, but his finishing was poor. To be honest I think we all expected too much from him, barley played any football after his loan with us. Clearly dosen't work as a loan striker, but Deano continues to persist with it.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:51 pm

Since beating County 5-1 last January, we've won 13 of 57 league games. It's just not good enough I'm afraid.

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:56 pm

After seeing this again today, I walked away feeling totally justified in not buying a season ticket for next year, first time I have not renewed in 14 years.

Notts county arguably the worst team I have seen this year along with crewe and Yeovil and surprise surprise we cannot manage to beat them.

O'Donnell will be looking at his options I am sure now.

The whole philosophy of the football brand is dated.

we have no physicality what so ever in the side.

we huffed and puffed for a spell in the 1st half and a spell in the 2nd.

purkiss got motm and his next touch went out of play, that gave me a chuckle.

post match interview was laughable, and franksy has a hang up that smith got us to Wembley, well he can ram that up his hoop, enjoyed the day but we was disgraced by the team that turned up.

we'll stay up but smith deserves nothing more than seeing out the end of this year, he can take O'Kelly with him as well.

would hate to think he would have an improved budget for next season if bonser decides it neccassary with the Wembley windfall and possible cash to come in off troy deeney.

taylor was getting beat all game by the diagonal ball, he just does not get close enough, legs look shot to me.

odonnell, Kinsella, henry, downing, mantom, sawyers, forde, bradshaw. Get rid of the rest and start a fresh.

Were is the fight and desire to do even the basics, win second balls, match your opposite number in the tackle, wanting to even take a a bit of ownership and have a shot!

what id pay to see the rambos, Jorge's keates and viveash of this world back here, depressed with this crop.

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:57 pm

pumajaguar wrote:Since beating County 5-1 last January, we've won 13 of 57 league games. It's just not good enough I'm afraid.

who else would get away with this, its an absolute pee take out of the fans turning in home and away each week

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:00 pm

Our form has been bottom 4 for the past 15 games. Like an aeroplane in a flat spin, it's going to be very difficult to get out of it:

http://www.soccerstand.com/standings/Q5 ... overall;15

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:14 pm

A winger up front and a striker on the wing!! Heads gone Dean.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:41 pm

pumajaguar wrote:Since beating County 5-1 last January, we've won 13 of 57 league games. It's just not good enough I'm afraid.

That is a truely shocking (and very worrying) stat! :shock:

I wish some of the thoughts and feelings on here were communicated to Dean Smith, he might actually take some of it on board, then again...

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:48 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:

That is a truely shocking (and very worrying) stat! :shock:

I wish some of the thoughts and feelings on here were communicated to Dean Smith, he might actually take some of it on board, then again...

It wouldn't, Phil is right - he would keep things the same and roll the dice.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:47 pm

pumajaguar wrote:Sawyers - Doesn't do enough. I'm not a Sawyers hater, it's clear he has quality, but for those of you who rave about him why exactly do you think he's so good? He just doesn't bring enough to the side to justify the fact it's essentially built around him in my opinion. If we had another good striker and wingers who scored in double figures we could afford him, but unfortunately we don't.

Reality right there ^^^^^!

Notts County are dire. O'Donnell - saved us on a couple of occasions, Purkiss MOTM!!! Haha, Taylor - looks to be struggling, O'Connor - steady, J Chambers - indifferent, Cain - looked disinterested, A Chambers - struggled, Morris - one of the few positives only to be substituted, Cook - same as Morris, Sawyers - typically ineffective (Notts County's Coach Driver said he was class though! �), Hiwula - non existent. Apart from that we were and are great!

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:39 pm

Exile wrote:
Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:No mistakes, just get the game won and send the Sadpies down.

What he said.

Thus is an easy home game against limited opposition and all the pant-wetting hand-wringers should go suck each other for being so nervous.

An easy 2-0 or 3-0 win for the lads.*

* past predictions are not a measure of future performance and this game may not be against a limited opposition. Fellow fans are indeed entitled to their own point of view, and may exercise same after they've wrung out their pants.

I'm joining the pant-wetters. :(

What a crushing disappointment of a result to wake up to.

Sort it out, Smith.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:43 pm

tinned wrote:
saddlersjse wrote:How he can possibly be happy with the home performances in the last 2 seasons is utterly beyond me. Today was just like 9 out of 10 home games - sloppy, dreary, uninspired, aimless grot. Notts County were awful, and if we finish below them, we deserve to go down.

12 wins in 43 home games! Let that sink in a moment. And Smith (and some fans) think it is acceptable?

FFS let's rid ourselves of this rent-an-excuse prat once and for all.

Make sure you get your season ticket for 2015/16.
Sexy football.
Clap clap!!!

In the slim chance that you're reading this Smith or any of the players, yes that was sarcasm.
Never mind though... if you do succeed in taking us down you can claim that a few of the players may have seen a few sarcastic comments on a message board and their delicate sensibilities were offended causing them to fail on the pitch. At the end of the day it's on a par with your other excuses.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:23 am

Exile wrote:
Exile wrote:
Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:No mistakes, just get the game won and send the Sadpies down.

What he said.

Thus is an easy home game against limited opposition and all the pant-wetting hand-wringers should go suck each other for being so nervous.

* past predictions are not a measure of future performance and this game may not be against a limited opposition. Fellow fans are indeed entitled to their own point of view, and may exercise same after they've wrung out their pants.

Sort it out, Smith.

I'm surprised you were surprised Exile. Have you seen our home record against sides struggling at the bottom? I'm not sure where we were going to pluck a 2-0 or 3-0 win from, even against a side as poor as NC.

Still, you have to have faith, as a once famous pop star used to say.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:26 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:
Exile wrote:

What he said.

Sort it out, Smith.

I'm surprised you were surprised Exile. Have you seen our home record against sides struggling at the bottom? I'm not sure where we were going to pluck a 2-0 or 3-0 win from, even against a side as poor as NC.

Adam?

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:34 pm

IHTC. wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:
Exile wrote:

What he said.

Sort it out, Smith.

Adam?

George Michael. During his ripped jean phase, if I recall correctly.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:53 pm

got to be a whoosh :lol: :lol:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:21 pm

IHTC. wrote:got to be a whoosh :lol: :lol:

No whoosh :wink:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:47 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
IHTC. wrote:got to be a whoosh :lol: :lol:

No whoosh :wink:

:cry: :cry:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:35 am

IHTC. wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:
Exile wrote:

What he said.

Sort it out, Smith.

Adam?

How about that?; A message from Martha; .... Don't that beat all?

Poor me;

So what do you want?

A lonely pup?
:lol:

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:05 pm

For what its worth - still amazed we didn't score

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bQKLhVoLM[/youtube]

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:07 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Moniz apparently can't go to Notts for family reasons.

He must have sorted them out (or got a divorce) because they announced him as new Team Manager today!

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season