Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield (A) League One Mar 28th 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Chesterfield (A) League One Mar 28th 3pm

Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:46 am

I was going to start this preview with the phrase "After the Lord Mayor's Show", but our performance at Wembley doesn't come anywhere near that category in my humble opinion. Be that as it may, we now have nine League One games to establish our place in the table (realistic) or to mount a very late challenge for the play-offs (ambitious). A trip to Chesterfield is the first of these nine, and they're just in the top half of the table with 51 points. Their recent form is very up-and-down...

21 Feb Rochdale (A) Lost 1-0
28 Feb Fleetwood (H) Won 3-0
3 Mar M K Dons (A) Won 1-2
14 Mar Coventry City (H) Lost 2-3
17 Mar Gillingham (H) Won 3-0
21 Mar Peterborough (A) Lost 1-0

Chesterfield appear to have the same (lack of) scoring as ourselves. Of their nominated strikers, none appears in their top three goalscorers Sam Clucas leads the way with 10, followed by O'Shea and Roberts, both with 6 - and they are all midfielders. They did reach the 4th round of the F.A.Cup, going out 2-0 with local rivals Derby County.

Dean Smith may well have selection decisions to make linked to players' fitness - Tom Bradshaw didn't appear to be firing on all cylinders at Wembley (but he certainly wasn't alone in that respect). Michael Cain is reported to have apologised to his team mates following his Twitter toys-out-of-the-pram episode, but whether he merits a place in the starting XI is debatable. If Bradshaw is unfit he won't be able to repeat his scoring part in our 1-0 win against Chesterfield last October. Jordy Hiwula would be the obvious replacement, but perhaps it's time to bring in the likes of Bakayoko to adopt a two-up-front tactic, because one thing is for sure......we have to find a better way of sticking the ball in the opposition's net than has been the case so far.

Hard to predict this one - how "up for it" will the players be after the disappointment of last Sunday? And I don't think it can be expected that the fans will provide the "12th man" in any quantity, having also endured that performance. Nevertheless, in the spirit of eternal optimism I'll go for a 2-1 win - goals from Hiwula and Downing. :D

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Chesterfield (A) League One Mar 28th 3pm

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:05 am

I'm still a big fan of Dean Smith and Wembley didn't change that - I don't want to argue about this I just want to put it out there before I say what I have to say.

I'd love it if he changed things up for this game. I do think the players are going to suffer somewhat of a hangover so let's get O'connor and Cain in the starting line up to show us all what we missed on Sunday just gone. Give Bradshaw the day off he needs further resting and go for a Cain / Mantom combo in the middle. I'd like to see:

O'D (obviously)
O Connor Chambers Downing Taylor
Grimes* Mantom Cain Forde
Sawyers
Jordy

Subs
Mag
Purkiss
Chambers
Baxendale
Bakayoko

*I thought Grimes looked sharp when he came on, on Sunday.

It would be interesting to see a 4 - 4 - 2 but whether Sawyers could play alongside a striker or maybe literally just behind me rather than a more attacking midfield role is something perhaps not worth risking. I also think to drop Sawyers would be foolish. Cook didn't do anything for me on Sunday.

Chesterfields form is up and down - we need a lift. I'm going Walsall 2 - 0 C'field. Att 4,753

C'MON SADDLERS!!!!

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:16 am

Looking forward to seeing how the players react to Sunday, and a new ground for me!

I'm going for 1-1, Roberts for them and Hiwula for us.

I think Sawyers is off on international duty, so it will be interesting to see who Smith replaces him with...

I would go:

O'Donnell

Taylor
Chambers
Downing
Purkiss

Mantom
Chambers
Cain

Forde
Bradshaw
Hiwula

Something a bit different, hopefully it will make us a bit more mobile in the middle of the park and help us exploit the pace of Forde and Hiwula on the wing!

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:06 am

Soton Saddler wrote:I'm still a big fan of Dean Smith and Wembley didn't change that - I don't want to argue about this I just want to put it out there before I say what I have to say.

I'd love it if he changed things up for this game. I do think the players are going to suffer somewhat of a hangover so let's get O'connor and Cain in the starting line up to show us all what we missed on Sunday just gone. Give Bradshaw the day off he needs further resting and go for a Cain / Mantom combo in the middle. I'd like to see:

O'D (obviously)
Sawyers
Jordy

Subs
Mag
Purkiss
Chambers
Baxendale
Bakayoko

*I thought Grimes looked sharp when he came on, on Sunday.

It would be interesting to see a 4 - 4 - 2 but whether Sawyers could play alongside a striker or maybe literally just behind me rather than a more attacking midfield role is something perhaps not worth risking. I also think to drop Sawyers would be foolish. Cook didn't do anything for me on Sunday.

Chesterfields form is up and down - we need a lift. I'm going Walsall 2 - 0 C'field. Att 4,753

C'MON SADDLERS!!!!

Good point in the post above mine, Sawyers is away. In which case:

O'D (obviously)
Baxendale
Jordy

Subs
Mag
Purkiss
Chambers
Cook
Bakayoko

paddy
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:35 pm

My team for Saturday would be

O'Donnell

Purkiss
Taylor
O'Connor
Downing

Mantom
Cain
Chambers

Baxendale

Hiwula
Grimes

Subs
Benning
Chambers
Bradshaw - only on bench as not 100% fit no matter what smith says
Murphy
Flanagan
Bakayoko
MaC

Not a chance he'll play this formation. He'll play Grimes behind Bradshaw & stick bax on the wing

Left Cook out completely as he needs a kick up the backside

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:55 pm

O'Donnell

Purkiss
Downing
O'Connor
Taylor

Forde
Mantom
Chambers
Cain
Hiwula

Bradshaw

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:08 pm

Whole team need an almighty 'kick up the backside'

Some even now suggesting a rush for a play off position, what planet are such folk actually on?

Back in the real world, we can't score, we are easy to beat, weak and lacking in confidence, and Chesterfield are strong at home.
Don't expect more than about 150 of our lot will be daft enough to make the trip.
2-0 to Chesterfield, one point off the zone come 5 on Saturday.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:19 pm

0-0

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:02 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Whole team need an almighty 'kick up the backside'

Some even now suggesting a rush for a play off position, what planet are such folk actually on?

Back in the real world, we can't score, we are easy to beat, weak and lacking in confidence, and Chesterfield are strong at home.
Don't expect more than about 150 of our lot will be daft enough to make the trip.
2-0 to Chesterfield, one point off the zone come 5 on Saturday.

Crewe winning at Sheffield United are they?

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:26 pm

I'll be going. New ground for me and it's a great part of the world for ales :D

Think Walsall need show some guile and effort in this one, so all concerned can put Wembley disappointment behind us.

I do fear that a lame performance could see a particularly angry negative response from our fans.

2-2 draw. Hiwula and Mantom to score.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:00 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:I'll be going. New ground for me and it's a great part of the world for ales :D

Think Walsall need show some guile and effort in this one, so all concerned can put Wembley disappointment behind us.

I do fear that a lame performance could see a particularly angry negative response from our fans.

That's why I'm probably not going, after the Barnsley debacle things were bad enough, folk were very angry indeed, only the prospect of the forthcoming Wembley appearance stopped a demonstration of dissatisfaction that day.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:35 pm

Despite the disappointment of Sunday I am still very much looking forward to going. Think there will still be a decent turn out of Saddlers prepared to show they still care and I think they will get behind the team. Just hope the team care. The deluded optimist in me says we will serve up a Doncaster rather than a Barnsley or Wembley performance. 2-1 to the Saddlers.

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:08 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:That's why I'm probably not going, after the Barnsley debacle things were bad enough, folk were very angry indeed, only the prospect of the forthcoming Wembley appearance stopped a demonstration of dissatisfaction that day.

Quick, tell JB there's going to be a riot and he'll get rid of the manager....

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:53 pm

The team have been pretty good at going away to teams in form and winning, this game looks to me similar to when Walsall visited Notts County, Fleetwood, Franchise and Donny. All those were in good form.

Worry is how will the Wembley defeat play in the minds of the players now, I think we'll see a few changes tbh.

0-0 and hopefully a win v Notts County and any remote relegation fears will be put to bed as Ancient Moaner frantically recalculates the biggest points tally ever in league one that will relegate Walsall. :mrgreen:

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:19 am

Andy_Petterson wrote:I'll be going. New ground for me and it's a great part of the world for ales :D

Keeps me busy.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:45 am

We are 20/1 to go down with Bet365!! :shock:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:19 pm

Sadders wrote:We are 20/1 to go down with Bet365!! :shock:

They must have watched Sunday's game.....

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:58 pm

I'd be tempted to shake it up a bit

Give Cain and OConnor a chance , both would surely be keen to show they deserved to play at Wembley ? Maybe continually asking 90 mins of Mantom is stil too much , he could be an impact sub ?
Purkiss has gone a bit off the boil again ...

Benning was excellent v Sheffield Utd , if. Taylor isn't 100% I'd put him in.

If you offered me a point I'd snap your hand off , anything to help drag us over the 51/52 point line which I reckon will be needed this year

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:30 pm

what, odds on??

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:34 pm

Couple of quid going on that :oops:

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:32 pm

23/1 on Betfair - must admit I just had a nibble to possibly cover the cost of next season's season ticket.
In any case, there will doubtless be an opportunity to lay it off with some mug on here.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:59 pm

Can't see Bet365 getting relegated to be honest.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:55 pm

I think this game could show us how rest of season could pan out, need at least a point lose and other results go against us and we are 1 point above drop zone and continuing bad form.
Game should give good ides of players mind set after wembley, down and got hangover or determined to improve game and pull away from zone.
Sawyers away so got to change team hope smith got plan A+ and not same dross with bax or grimes straight swop, can always hope.

paddy
UTS Veteran

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:39 pm

2-1 Chesterfield - forde with a late consolation for us

351 walsall fans there

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:52 pm

A 1-0 defeat.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:26 am

Cathartic 0-7 win at a canter. Blood on the message board as everyone asks why we couldn't do that last weekend. Dean Smith to blame himself.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:54 am

Undoubtedly a nailed on away win as the SMITHOUT team find themselves a week later, after their sterling attempt to beat World Club Champions Bristol City, up against a fellow 1st division team. With our large squad of excuses and a coach load of fawning 'tools' on their keyboards at home there is no way we should lose this one. Chesterfield are absolute rubbish apart from when they're not and they are sure to be vary of SMITHOUT's brilliant tactic, based on the DNA of a crab, to induce a comatose like state on both fans and opposition and walk the ball into the net.

SMITHOUT he's garbage :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:04 am

Cully wrote:Undoubtedly a nailed on away win as the SMITHOUT team find themselves a week later, after their sterling attempt to beat World Club Champions Bristol City, up against a fellow 1st division team. With our large squad of excuses and a coach load of fawning 'tools' on their keyboards at home there is no way we should lose this one. Chesterfield are absolute rubbish apart from when they're not and they are sure to be vary of SMITHOUT's brilliant tactic, based on the DNA of a crab, to induce a comatose like state on both fans and opposition and walk the ball into the net.

SMITHOUT he's garbage :D

:D

Are you attending or will you be a 'tool'

PT
Site Addict

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:39 am

hullsaddler wrote:Despite the disappointment of Sunday I am still very much looking forward to going. Think there will still be a decent turn out of Saddlers prepared to show they still care and I think they will get behind the team. Just hope the team care. The deluded optimist in me says we will serve up a Doncaster rather than a Barnsley or Wembley performance. 2-1 to the Saddlers.

I feel exactly the same. Looking forward to it being back to the usual few hundred.

I think we'll get a draw.

Should we lose however, I expect Dean Smith to come to my house with a bunch of flowers for my wife, a tray of ale for me, a signed kit for my son and a parade of every Walsall player who will each humbly apologise for putting me through such a disappointing afternoon before building me a new shed.

BeardedSwift

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:46 am

PT wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:Despite the disappointment of Sunday I am still very much looking forward to going. Think there will still be a decent turn out of Saddlers prepared to show they still care and I think they will get behind the team. Just hope the team care. The deluded optimist in me says we will serve up a Doncaster rather than a Barnsley or Wembley performance. 2-1 to the Saddlers.

I feel exactly the same. Looking forward to it being back to the usual few hundred.

I think we'll get a draw.

Should we lose however, I expect Dean Smith to come to my house with a bunch of flowers for my wife, a tray of ale for me, a signed kit for my son and a parade of every Walsall player who will each humbly apologise for putting me through such a disappointing afternoon before building me a new shed.

That's what I love about Walsall supporters - we have such low expectations of our team! :lol: :lol:

I'd ask for a patio as well, at least. :D

Next
Return to 2014-15 Season