Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol City (Wembley) JPT Final Sunday 22 March 3.30pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Mazza01
UTS Legend

Re: Bristol City (Wembley) JPT Final Sunday 22 March 3.30pm

Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:35 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
sid swifty wrote:Its not just the players who let the club down yesterday,the fans did as well,the fans were non existent.Considering there were 30,000 fans,supposedly ecstatic at being there for the first time in 125 yrs i never even heard walsall fans sing one song all the way through and there was no volume at all,yet icould hear Bristol city all through the game.

Are you thick?

What part of your brain makes you think that the 30,000 that went yesterday are all Walsall fans?

I could reel off a list of 100 people I know that went yesterday that I've never known go to a Walsall match before, they probably couldn't name more than 2 players.

And there's you wondering out loud why the atmosphere was poor and using it as a criticism of fans.

No,don't you ever call me thick again or i will find you and make you eat your words,ok?

:oops:

Heads gone

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:38 pm

sid swifty wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
sid swifty wrote:Its not just the players who let the club down yesterday,the fans did as well,the fans were non existent.Considering there were 30,000 fans,supposedly ecstatic at being there for the first time in 125 yrs i never even heard walsall fans sing one song all the way through and there was no volume at all,yet icould hear Bristol city all through the game.

Are you thick?

What part of your brain makes you think that the 30,000 that went yesterday are all Walsall fans?

I could reel off a list of 100 people I know that went yesterday that I've never known go to a Walsall match before, they probably couldn't name more than 2 players.

And there's you wondering out loud why the atmosphere was poor and using it as a criticism of fans.

No,don't you ever call me thick again or i will find you and make you eat your words,ok?

I know the Wealdstone Raider was there yesterday but I didn't think he would rub off on people :lol: :lol:

Embarrassing.

caldy
UTS Regular

Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:48 pm

I don't get some knocking the "day trippers" for coming to Wembley to support us. Yes, we need more regular supporters but some people can only make a handful of games, does this make them less of a supporter? What would people rather have, 3k hardcore fans or 30k fans some of whom have been to games in the past. Those that hadn't, so what I hope they had a good day out. I don't know how the money is divided but surely we've done better out of it through merchandise etc.... I've been a supporter for nearly 30 years, I've not always gone to games for different reasons and there was a period that I fell out of love with football altogether. I have been ST holder in the past and come relegation, dean smith in out or whatever will be one next season but I don't count myself any more of a supporter than someone who makes it once or twice a season.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:52 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Are you thick?

I know the Wealdstone Raider was there yesterday but I didn't think he would rub off on people :lol: :lol:

Embarrassing.

:lol: :lol: I never thought this message board would be like this today nobody's tales of a great day at Wembley just everyone slagging each off for their view's. I should have known better to be fair if it's like this Everytime we would get to Wembley I hope we don't Have to go again.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:55 pm

sid swifty wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Are you thick?

:lol: U got no fans if u want some I'll give it ya :twisted:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:56 pm

ws3 wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
reedswood sadler wrote:Amazed at sid swifty having go at walsalls 30000 fans lack of singing perhaps its because there were maybe 5000 true fans and 25000 day trippers who know nothing about walsall. As a real fan I will be in the 3000 supporting my team boring or not, you are obviously a day tripper looking for a bit of glory if you are not prepared to watch us again.

And i suppose Bristol city get 40,000 every week.....but i could hear them.

Funny, I heard them once, on about 90 minutes when there tourists suddenly realised the game was won. Before that? Nowt.

I agree, both sets of fans were quiet. They just had the opportunity to cheer a couple of goals and celebrate the lifting of the JPT. All they did was wave their flags en masse at the final whistle as if they were at a Kim-Jung-un rally, but that's modern football for you, along with loads of pre-match hype, including loud music [quelling any attempt by rival fans to chant at each other], the banal shouting of a local FM style DJ and completely pointless pyrotechnics. Then the match started and it all went quiet. If you are treated as a passive consumer, then you tend to behave like one.

To be fair, when Cook hit the bar and we had a flurry of attacks for, oh, all of two minutes, we did attempt to get behind the team, the problem was that we were all physically spread out and were surrounded by people who just sat there - presumably getting in practice for when Elton John comes to town in June. It was always going to be that way, but was just another aspect of a disappointing day. I'm still glad we had 30k for the match, and it was a case of quantity, not quality, but it was the same for both sides in that respect.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:38 pm

I was not knocking the 25000 day trippers just wondered why sid swifty had ago at fans whenvast majority did not know songs chants or even players, my own party consisted of people whose last game was cardiff and others first walsall game.
Bristol did not make much noise till near end and you have to remember have bigger gates and hardcore fans over 9000 season ticket holders nearly three times our regular gate.
none of that matters anyway best team won one team turned up one did not.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:53 pm

Did anyone actually enjoy the day??? :D

PT
Site Addict

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:04 pm

Mazza01 wrote:Did anyone actually enjoy the day??? :D

Yep, loved it. Everything I had hoped it would be. The day lived up to my expectations and the team played down to my expectations, so the day was exactly as......expected. I'd have liked the team to exceed my expectations, but then again, I always do.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:07 pm

PT wrote:

Yep, loved it. Everything I had hoped it would be. The day lived up to my expectations and the team played down to my expectations, so the day was exactly as......expected. I'd have liked the team to exceed my expectations, but then again, I always do.

Agreed the build up was fantastic and will live long in the memory of every fan.

The poor performance will soon be forgotten, goes with the territory of supporting WFC.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:41 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
PT wrote:

Agreed the build up was fantastic and will live long in the memory of every fan.

The poor performance will soon be forgotten, goes with the territory of supporting WFC.

Yes this Moanin Old Git enjoyed the day tremendously, and so did my wife, who just about knows that the intention is to get that round leathery thing in between the netty thing! Met loads of great mates at the Green Man, also two exile Walsall lads who had flown in from America for the match, one of whom was watching Walsall down at Fellows Park before I was born!
The day was a one off that was spoiled by the football, or lack of it from our inept bunch. So much has been said above that I don't need to go on, but we, the loyal fans deserve better from a set of players playing at Wembley for probably the only time in their careers. Embarrassing, end of, we were made to look like muppets by a stronger, better team...and yes Brizzle fans DID make more noise.

As we wondered round the stadium well before it opened it's doors I met a young Brizzle fan who insisted that HIS name was Dean Smith too, and showed me his driving licence as proof!! :roll:

Now those amongst you who suggested I should 'go boil my head' or similar, when I dared to suggest that we were going to be in a relegation scrap, please take note...as has been suggested by many above we are IN a relegation scrap.......and, having seen that 'display' on Sunday, do you really think we have enough about us to escape this time round? I truly hope so, but where are the positive results going to come from?

Dean Smith is a nice bloke, we all know that, but surely his time is at an end, he offers nothing any longer and has run out of ideas. I fear 'he's gorra gew'!

IMHO not one player out there offered any positive for the upcoming fight for survival in the Third Division, even O'D fluffed his lines, and you could see quite clearly that he was incandescent with rage watching his outfielders making such a mess of things. I'm terrified by the prospect of the next 9 games. Play like we did against Barnsley & the JPT???? :( :(

Sadders
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:51 pm

By the way, I sat in an Irish bar talking to a neutral working for the Football League last night, ex player called 'Dean Grice'. Said he was very good mates with Mick Kearns. He also happened to have come down with a few of Andy Taylor's family members. He has just had his second kid and required an injection in his calf to play yesterday. Seems silly when Benning played well in midweek, however, a manager is correct to stick with his first XI if it's at all possible.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:59 pm

Loved every minute of it.
Don't think I will experience that again. Will live with me forever, even our dire performance.
Was it worth setting off at 6am and getting home at 11.30pm ? For sure.
Would I do it again ? Try and stop me.
£5 for a pint though outside the ground ! Robbing bastards :mrgreen:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:03 pm

Just having a bit of a rant, Mazza. Despite the outcome and some aspects of the day, I would not have missed it for anything :wink: .

Titch

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:13 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed the day despite the result. Someone decided to drop a flag in front of us so we couldn't see. That soon came down :lol:

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:33 pm

Loved the day yesterday, waited 50 odd yrs for it but as i watched the game it gradually turned into the same game as i've watched all season, when they scored we might as well all gone home game over. But as i said an unforgettable day.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:13 pm

Brilliant weekend. My team, at Wembley, what more needs to be said?

I'm not going to let another Smith borefest ruin those memories.

Cully
Site Addict

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:52 pm

SMITHOUT :arrow: Please not another season :twisted:

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:55 pm

I'm not disappointed that we lost, I'm just dissapointed in the way we lost it. Minimum fight or character, poor team selection and an over sentimental manager. Playing injured players is just stupid, laughable in fact. Bristol were classy and didn't even break sweat. We need someone in to mix it up. Don't get me wrong I am extremely grateful to Deano and think he's done brilliantly but rotation is needed to keep us fresh and adopt a new plan.

So proud of Walsall FC itself though, what a day! One I'll never forget apart from the abject performance from the XI on the pitch. #uts

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Most definitely enjoyed the day despite the disappointing performance. Due to geography I don't often get the chance to be at a game with both son & daughter at the same time. I know it's corny but having a photo of the 3 of us inside Wembley with Walsall there means a lot. Should have realised we wouldn't win though when we were allocated the west end. That's 2 rugby league cup finals, an FA Trophy final & now Sunday all at that end & I've still yet to see the team I was supporting win!

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:29 am

reedswood sadler wrote:I was not knocking the 25000 day trippers just wondered why sid swifty had ago at fans whenvast majority did not know songs chants or even players, my own party consisted of people whose last game was cardiff and others first walsall game.
Bristol did not make much noise till near end and you have to remember have bigger gates and hardcore fans over 9000 season ticket holders nearly three times our regular gate.
none of that matters anyway best team won one team turned up one did not.

I can remember going to Cardiff,we only took 18,000 but we made a lot more noise.Same at Everton ,Man utd, Liverpool Leeds utd.

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:56 am

As many have said, great day out spoiled somewhat by the football, or lack thereof. Looked like rabbits caught in the headlights for most of it. Said at the start that I just want Walsall to score at Wembley have have 30,000 cheer. Never looked like happening.

Yes the fans were quiet, but we were given little to excite us. On the odd occasion we flashed a ball over their bar the noise did pick up, only to be silenced by 10-20mins more sideway and backwards passing.
Again, many have said this but it was a great opportunity to recruit a few more fans and even tempt back a few who don't go as much these days, myself included. But on that 90mins performance I'm not freeing up my Saturdays to watch that.

The shexy football has grown stale and things need freshening up. Not saying anyone's going to do a vastly better job than Smith, but it's the same old story week in, week out. Like the guy and what he's tried to do at the club, but if he's unable to change things up a bit then the club has to.
Anyway. Now we can concentrate on the league!
Last edited by layzeedude on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:20 am

We all had a fantastic weekend. The only downside was the performance on the pitch which should have been the icing on the cake.

It was nice to see so many Saddlers wandering around the city on Saturday. Drinking was done a bit at a time: a couple of pints here, an 'attraction' then another pub. I particularly enjoyed the walk down the South Bank; there are some nice boozers there.

The family who we shared a pod on the 'eye' who Couldn't see the Shard. Well, it was behind you! :lol:

Also, the blokes we followed down the steps at Baker St underground station belting out Yellow Ribbon: yo ay got the legs for shorts mate :lol: .

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:23 am

It was a great day, as i've said elsewhere, and the majority of my memories will be positive. What the game represented was massive, and seeing the lads walk out at Wembley was a buzz, as was having a good day out with family and friends. The stadium itself was fantastic, albeit souless, but it was clear to me that when the decision on the stadium was made, they should have just knocked the old one down and rebuilt it elsewhere. The infrastructure of the local area is not suited for such a venue and for the coach park to basically be a free for all on the way out was embarassing. Fortunately, Johnny the coach driver was a legend taking little attention of such things as bus lanes, queues of traffic or red lights.

The game itself was disappointing to say the least. Smith picked too many on sentiment, it seemed half the team was either unfit or partly fit, and why Chambers was picked at centre half against a forward line including Matt Smith, i'll never know. Defence was barclays, wide men didn't help their full backs enough, midfield over run and Bradshaw nowhere near fit. Sawyers was the only one who came out of the game with any credit for me - not amazing but at least he looked to switch play and didn't completely cack himself when he had the ball.

The game also highlighted two of our biggest problems, being a lack of a dominant centre half and a being team that is too nice. Get any group of 11 blokes together as a football team and at least half of them will be terrible losers, super competative and talk alot - somehow we have noone like this. We walked out at Wembley, their arses fell out and we got mullered and my concern now is who will raise them for the relegation fight they're now in (and they are in one). The highlight of the game for me were the 2 blokes in Block 245 who celebrated Bristol's first goal not realising we weren't in red - their faces when everyone turned on them was a picture.

Despite that, credit to Bristol. Better in almost every area, quality through (as would be expected from a team in their position and with their resource) and thoroughly well deserved winners. Such was the gulf in class I felt they could have gone up another gear should they have needed it. As for moaning about the lack of singing well there were less than 10000 Walsall fans in the ground in reality - what do you expect? Overall, great day and as already said, the rubbish game wont spoil ther memories too much.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:27 am

A case of hearts over minds with team selection didn't help.

Replacing O'Conner with J Chambers was the first mistake and not leaving Mantom and Bradshaw on the bench was the other.

Those that think Taylor and Purkis were crap should have been to Stevenage last season and seen what Freeman did to J Chambers and Benning.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:28 am

kshammer wrote:It was a great day, as i've said elsewhere, and the majority of my memories will be positive. What the game represented was massive, and seeing the lads walk out at Wembley was a buzz, as was having a good day out with family and friends. The stadium itself was fantastic, albeit souless, but it was clear to me that when the decision on the stadium was made, they should have just knocked the old one down and rebuilt it elsewhere. The infrastructure of the local area is not suited for such a venue and for the coach park to basically be a free for all on the way out was embarassing. Fortunately, Johnny the coach driver was a legend taking little attention of such things as bus lanes, queues of traffic or red lights.

The game itself was disappointing to say the least. Smith picked too many on sentiment, it seemed half the team was either unfit or partly fit, and why Chambers was picked at centre half against a forward line including Matt Smith, i'll never know. Defence was barclays, wide men didn't help their full backs enough, midfield over run and Bradshaw nowhere near fit. Sawyers was the only one who came out of the game with any credit for me - not amazing but at least he looked to switch play and didn't completely cack himself when he had the ball.

The game also highlighted two of our biggest problems, being a lack of a dominant centre half and a being team that is too nice. Get any group of 11 blokes together as a football team and at least half of them will be terrible losers, super competative and talk alot - somehow we have noone like this. We walked out at Wembley, their arses fell out and we got mullered and my concern now is who will raise them for the relegation fight they're now in (and they are in one). The highlight of the game for me were the 2 blokes in Block 245 who celebrated Bristol's first goal not realising we weren't in red - their faces when everyone turned on them was a picture.

Despite that, credit to Bristol. Better in almost every area, quality through (as would be expected from a team in their position and with their resource) and thoroughly well deserved winners. Such was the gulf in class I felt they could have gone up another gear should they have needed it. As for moaning about the lack of singing well there were less than 10000 Walsall fans in the ground in reality - what do you expect? Overall, great day and as already said, the rubbish game wont spoil ther memories too much.

Sounds like the driver I had. Took no prisoners getting off that god forsaken car park.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:45 am

It's a funny thing being a Walsall fan these days. Distance and lack of games is obviously an advantage because people seem to have got a little stale, partly due to style of play and partly due to expectations for the club. As someone who doesn't get to many games a season these days, I can only call it as I saw it.

First and foremost, Bristol are an excellent team with, player for player, far more skill and intelligence than we have. If you'd put Freeman, Agard and Little into our team, it would have been very different. But, of course, those players come at a cost (a loss of over £9m in the last accounts apparently!). So, whatever you think of our performance, we can only play as well as the opposition allows and they didn't allow it. You have to give credit to them. Plus, right or wrong, Smith knows that we can't play a pressing game because we don't have the players and Bristol did have the players to ruthlessly exploit us if we tried. 2-0 could easily have turned into 4 or 5 and I think Smith had an eye on that.

Other observations;

i) I thought the defence played fine for the most part. The first goal was more about Bristol tactics and O'Donnell. They'd had a corner just before the goal, and their player had stood right on O'Donnell to stop him coming out for the ball. Come the corner they scored from, both O'Donnell and Taylor were preoccupied with trying to shove the Bristol player out of the way rather than watching a ball coming into the 6-yard box.

ii) After the first 15 minutes, I didn't think we were overrun in midfield. For that first 15 minutes though, we were all at sea. Chambers and Mantom wanted to play in a flat bank of 4 midfielders but Freeman and their other midfielder interrupted that, with one dropping into the hole between defence and midfield and the other dropping back a little. They passed straight through us and, initially, our only response was for Chambers and Mantom to drop almost into the back 4 which gave them all sorts of room. We eventually got ourselves sorted and I thought, thereafter, Mantom performed well up to around an hour and Chambers was my MOTM for breaking up play the way he did.

iii) A key factor in the result was our left side. Because Little was charging forward, it left all sorts of room for Cook. To a significant extent, the result and the performance came down to whether Little or Cook made most use of the space. Whilst Cook was willing, made some good runs and asked for the ball, he was sadly lacking in possession. Little, as we know, did a bit more with it!

iv) Up front, Bradshaw wasn't fit, you could clearly see it. He had no impact on the game at all. However, Hiwula didn't show enough to say he would have made a difference either. Again, compare with them and you can see why we lost.

v) Which brings us to the enigma, Sawyers. He really splits opinion, doesn't he? Well, as others have said, I thought that he came out with some credit in that anything good came through him. He clearly has great vision and passing ability and he used it at times. But here's the problem, I believe - played in that position, it's fine for him to drop and pick up the ball and spread it about but, having done so, he is the second striker and he MUST be in the box as crosses are delivered. He needs to be the one making the dash in to be on the end of a ball whipped in by Forde or Cook.....but he never seems to make that run. Is that coaching? Is he being told to hold his position? I'm not sure, but it doesn't work because we end up with one player in the box surrounded by 3 or 4 defenders. The only other option is that one of the midfielders surges past Sawyers and makes that run, but neither Chambers or Mantom are that type of player.

Someone mentioned about how poor our crossing was. I see it a little differently. We got in good positions at times, players had a yard on the opposition and a cross was called for. But more than once, I saw players looking up in that position to find that there was nobody to aim at and thus delaying. Often, mistakes in football are not about the player in possession, but those around him who fail to provide correct options.

I can understand the frustrations. We're playing a defensive style of football based on trying to keep it tight and snatch something but, unlike in previous times when we've done that (under Mr Graydon, Nichol and even Smith a couple of seasons ago), we don't have the right personnel to pull it off most of the time.

It was disappointing to have so little to cheer about on the day but, unlike others who are understandably more weary, I don't think we're a million miles away from having a decent team. It needs a couple of players and it needs some tweaks to formation which the manager doesn't seem to have any inclination to make. It needs something to change for next season. Part of me wonders whether, as much as I thought Sawyers was head and shoulders above the others in terms of football awareness, him moving on could be a catalyst for the team to progress as a whole?

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:20 am

Can't disagree with anything you've posted there Shrops.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:28 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:Part of me wonders whether, as much as I thought Sawyers was head and shoulders above the others in terms of football awareness, him moving on could be a catalyst for the team to progress as a whole?

For apparently how so far ahead of the rest Sawyers is, it's neither helping to create positive results, nor is it improving those around him. This is why I question the opening premise.

Old Timer

Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:06 pm

What a great day. I saw them play at Wembley after supporting the Saddlers from seeing my first game in 1948. Travelled from the USA with my son at no little expense. They didn't play well BUT WE WERE THERE. Just got up after travelling back,dont know yet whether my son is home in Wisconsin. When I went to bed last night in North Carolina he was still stuck in snowy Chicago waiting for another plane.

Met Ancient Moaner and his wife and he really isn't that ancient. He introduced us to Sheff and Doffer at The Green Man which was rocking.

Sure a better performance would have been great but spending time with my son at Wembley and seeing them playing at the National Stadium in front of 72,000 plus is what it was all about.

Good luck Ancient Moaner enjoyed chatting with you and your wife.

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season