Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol City (Wembley) JPT Final Sunday 22 March 3.30pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Mazza01
UTS Legend

Re: Bristol City (Wembley) JPT Final Sunday 22 March 3.30pm

Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:29 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:It's a funny thing being a Walsall fan these days. Distance and lack of games is obviously an advantage because people seem to have got a little stale, partly due to style of play and partly due to expectations for the club. As someone who doesn't get to many games a season these days, I can only call it as I saw it.

First and foremost, Bristol are an excellent team with, player for player, far more skill and intelligence than we have. If you'd put Freeman, Agard and Little into our team, it would have been very different. But, of course, those players come at a cost (a loss of over £9m in the last accounts apparently!). So, whatever you think of our performance, we can only play as well as the opposition allows and they didn't allow it. You have to give credit to them. Plus, right or wrong, Smith knows that we can't play a pressing game because we don't have the players and Bristol did have the players to ruthlessly exploit us if we tried. 2-0 could easily have turned into 4 or 5 and I think Smith had an eye on that.

Other observations;

i) I thought the defence played fine for the most part. The first goal was more about Bristol tactics and O'Donnell. They'd had a corner just before the goal, and their player had stood right on O'Donnell to stop him coming out for the ball. Come the corner they scored from, both O'Donnell and Taylor were preoccupied with trying to shove the Bristol player out of the way rather than watching a ball coming into the 6-yard box.

ii) After the first 15 minutes, I didn't think we were overrun in midfield. For that first 15 minutes though, we were all at sea. Chambers and Mantom wanted to play in a flat bank of 4 midfielders but Freeman and their other midfielder interrupted that, with one dropping into the hole between defence and midfield and the other dropping back a little. They passed straight through us and, initially, our only response was for Chambers and Mantom to drop almost into the back 4 which gave them all sorts of room. We eventually got ourselves sorted and I thought, thereafter, Mantom performed well up to around an hour and Chambers was my MOTM for breaking up play the way he did.

iii) A key factor in the result was our left side. Because Little was charging forward, it left all sorts of room for Cook. To a significant extent, the result and the performance came down to whether Little or Cook made most use of the space. Whilst Cook was willing, made some good runs and asked for the ball, he was sadly lacking in possession. Little, as we know, did a bit more with it!

iv) Up front, Bradshaw wasn't fit, you could clearly see it. He had no impact on the game at all. However, Hiwula didn't show enough to say he would have made a difference either. Again, compare with them and you can see why we lost.

v) Which brings us to the enigma, Sawyers. He really splits opinion, doesn't he? Well, as others have said, I thought that he came out with some credit in that anything good came through him. He clearly has great vision and passing ability and he used it at times. But here's the problem, I believe - played in that position, it's fine for him to drop and pick up the ball and spread it about but, having done so, he is the second striker and he MUST be in the box as crosses are delivered. He needs to be the one making the dash in to be on the end of a ball whipped in by Forde or Cook.....but he never seems to make that run. Is that coaching? Is he being told to hold his position? I'm not sure, but it doesn't work because we end up with one player in the box surrounded by 3 or 4 defenders. The only other option is that one of the midfielders surges past Sawyers and makes that run, but neither Chambers or Mantom are that type of player.

Someone mentioned about how poor our crossing was. I see it a little differently. We got in good positions at times, players had a yard on the opposition and a cross was called for. But more than once, I saw players looking up in that position to find that there was nobody to aim at and thus delaying. Often, mistakes in football are not about the player in possession, but those around him who fail to provide correct options.

I can understand the frustrations. We're playing a defensive style of football based on trying to keep it tight and snatch something but, unlike in previous times when we've done that (under Mr Graydon, Nichol and even Smith a couple of seasons ago), we don't have the right personnel to pull it off most of the time.

It was disappointing to have so little to cheer about on the day but, unlike others who are understandably more weary, I don't think we're a million miles away from having a decent team. It needs a couple of players and it needs some tweaks to formation which the manager doesn't seem to have any inclination to make. It needs something to change for next season. Part of me wonders whether, as much as I thought Sawyers was head and shoulders above the others in terms of football awareness, him moving on could be a catalyst for the team to progress as a whole?

Great post Shrops, your point about Sawyers being in essence the 2nd striker is spot on. He plays most the game in no mans land between the Midfield and lone striker. This really is easy for opposing defenders to play against.

If Smith is to continue with this formation he needs to sign a player in the mould of Rammel so the ball sticks bringing the wingers and Sawyers into play. The formation really does ask to much of the player who is asked to play the loan striker role.

Huge credit to Bristol City yes they may have a larger budget but it was plain to see that there tactics and game plan was far superior to ours, it felt to me that we took to the field hoping for a miracle.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:52 pm

Yes a very good post from "shrops". Some of you may recall I have posted about Sawyers and the position he plays before. He is our most creative player but the position he plays should give us more goals. His failure to get into the box more often and when there his failure to hit the target are one of the reasons we fail to score as often as we should. I suppose at the start of the season Dean felt we would get sufficient goals from elsewhere but clearly that hasn't happened.
I have come to the conclusion that if we get a reasonable offer it would be better to let him go. It will be interesting to see what happens Saturday when Romaine is unavailable. I think I would play Grimes in that position and see what happens.
Anyway lets hope we get the points required quickly and then,perhaps,Bakayoko can be given more match time. We can then start to assess whether he is part of the answer to our scoring problems.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:58 pm

Old Timer wrote:What a great day. I saw them play at Wembley after supporting the Saddlers from seeing my first game in 1948. Travelled from the USA with my son at no little expense. They didn't play well BUT WE WERE THERE. Just got up after travelling back,dont know yet whether my son is home in Wisconsin. When I went to bed last night in North Carolina he was still stuck in snowy Chicago waiting for another plane.

Met Ancient Moaner and his wife and he really isn't that ancient. He introduced us to Sheff and Doffer at The Green Man which was rocking.

Sure a better performance would have been great but spending time with my son at Wembley and seeing them playing at the National Stadium in front of 72,000 plus is what it was all about.

Good luck Ancient Moaner enjoyed chatting with you and your wife.

Thank you sir, it was indeed an honour to meet you and your son. What a pity the response from our team was so underwhelming to say the least, but I did say that they had been playing like that for quite some time, and, to us regulars, it was no real surprise on the day. Not many of us genuinely gave us a chance, however, to experience little old Walsall at Wembley, the atmosphere, and meeting great guys like yourself & your son (you both deserve medals for taking on such a journey!) made Sunday 22 March 2015 a day that we will all remember for our lifetime. Only another 127 years to wait and we'll be meeting again (probably in heaven next time round!) . Cheers form Ancient Moaner & long suffering missus!

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:54 pm

I thought we were extremely poor - I thought the big Wembley pitch would suit our counter-attacking style to a tee, with Sawyers pulling the strings. But it didn't happen. We had numerous chances to hit City on the break due to their very adventurous 3-4-1-2 formation but we never attacked with any pace. I would blame Sawyers for that - he's too slow in thought and deed and he slowed everything up. Sunday's game made my mind up on him - get rid and change the formation. Why can't we play the same formation as Bristol City, with wing-backs? I would get the video of Luke Freeman's performance and show it to Baxendale and say "Go on, model your game on Freeman". I don't think any Walsall player played well: O'Donnell should have come for both crosses that led to their goals, Purkiss and Taylor are slow and didn't get forward enough. Forde and Cook are not proper wingers - I'd get rid of Cook and turn Forde into a wing-back. Cain should have played instead of Mantom and I would sell Sawyers. Bradshaw needs help upfront and I would play two strikers. We need 5 or 6 new players with our Wembley windfall: a dominant centre-half, a new central midfielder, a dominant centre-forward, a left wing-back/winger and a good utility player. Time to rip up the 4-2-3-1 formation, Deano, it ain't working

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:04 pm

I can see the 3 5 2 / 3 4 1 2 working.... but who are your three centre halves? That's the worrying thing.

How on earth have we only got one recognised centre half at the club ?

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:41 pm

At the moment, my team (in a 3-4-1-2) formation would be:

O'Donnell - O"Connor, Downing, Chambers (J) - Forde, Chambers (A), Mantom, Baxendale, benning (Henry when fit) - Bradshaw, Hiwula. Subs: McG, Purkiss, Taylor, Cain, Grimes, Sawyers, Bakayoko.

Next season, I'd want to see 5 or 6 quality additions to the squad.

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:11 pm

Had a fantastic 2 days down there, split by a disappointing 90 mins. As others have said, a combination of the players being overawed, lack of fitness and a lack of quality cost us dear.

Spent many hours in the Green Man pub over Saturday and Sunday. Really enjoyed catching up with a few old friends in there. Also tried the Liquor Station and Corner House but they were pretty quiet in comparison.

Just hope we get to visit there again in the next few years!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:31 pm

Great weekend not spoiled by the match, pissed off definitely, we just didn't seem to turn up or have a go. I hope the players felt they gave it their all on such a big stage, because it didn't look it.

Bristol City are the best team in this division for years though are are almost literally a league above.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:00 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:It's a funny thing being a Walsall fan these days. Distance and lack of games is obviously an advantage because people seem to have got a little stale, partly due to style of play and partly due to expectations for the club. As someone who doesn't get to many games a season these days, I can only call it as I saw it.

First and foremost, Bristol are an excellent team with, player for player, far more skill and intelligence than we have. If you'd put Freeman, Agard and Little into our team, it would have been very different. But, of course, those players come at a cost (a loss of over £9m in the last accounts apparently!). So, whatever you think of our performance, we can only play as well as the opposition allows and they didn't allow it. You have to give credit to them. Plus, right or wrong, Smith knows that we can't play a pressing game because we don't have the players and Bristol did have the players to ruthlessly exploit us if we tried. 2-0 could easily have turned into 4 or 5 and I think Smith had an eye on that.

Other observations;

i) I thought the defence played fine for the most part. The first goal was more about Bristol tactics and O'Donnell. They'd had a corner just before the goal, and their player had stood right on O'Donnell to stop him coming out for the ball. Come the corner they scored from, both O'Donnell and Taylor were preoccupied with trying to shove the Bristol player out of the way rather than watching a ball coming into the 6-yard box.

ii) After the first 15 minutes, I didn't think we were overrun in midfield. For that first 15 minutes though, we were all at sea. Chambers and Mantom wanted to play in a flat bank of 4 midfielders but Freeman and their other midfielder interrupted that, with one dropping into the hole between defence and midfield and the other dropping back a little. They passed straight through us and, initially, our only response was for Chambers and Mantom to drop almost into the back 4 which gave them all sorts of room. We eventually got ourselves sorted and I thought, thereafter, Mantom performed well up to around an hour and Chambers was my MOTM for breaking up play the way he did.

iii) A key factor in the result was our left side. Because Little was charging forward, it left all sorts of room for Cook. To a significant extent, the result and the performance came down to whether Little or Cook made most use of the space. Whilst Cook was willing, made some good runs and asked for the ball, he was sadly lacking in possession. Little, as we know, did a bit more with it!

iv) Up front, Bradshaw wasn't fit, you could clearly see it. He had no impact on the game at all. However, Hiwula didn't show enough to say he would have made a difference either. Again, compare with them and you can see why we lost.

v) Which brings us to the enigma, Sawyers. He really splits opinion, doesn't he? Well, as others have said, I thought that he came out with some credit in that anything good came through him. He clearly has great vision and passing ability and he used it at times. But here's the problem, I believe - played in that position, it's fine for him to drop and pick up the ball and spread it about but, having done so, he is the second striker and he MUST be in the box as crosses are delivered. He needs to be the one making the dash in to be on the end of a ball whipped in by Forde or Cook.....but he never seems to make that run. Is that coaching? Is he being told to hold his position? I'm not sure, but it doesn't work because we end up with one player in the box surrounded by 3 or 4 defenders. The only other option is that one of the midfielders surges past Sawyers and makes that run, but neither Chambers or Mantom are that type of player.

Someone mentioned about how poor our crossing was. I see it a little differently. We got in good positions at times, players had a yard on the opposition and a cross was called for. But more than once, I saw players looking up in that position to find that there was nobody to aim at and thus delaying. Often, mistakes in football are not about the player in possession, but those around him who fail to provide correct options.

I can understand the frustrations. We're playing a defensive style of football based on trying to keep it tight and snatch something but, unlike in previous times when we've done that (under Mr Graydon, Nichol and even Smith a couple of seasons ago), we don't have the right personnel to pull it off most of the time.

It was disappointing to have so little to cheer about on the day but, unlike others who are understandably more weary, I don't think we're a million miles away from having a decent team. It needs a couple of players and it needs some tweaks to formation which the manager doesn't seem to have any inclination to make. It needs something to change for next season. Part of me wonders whether, as much as I thought Sawyers was head and shoulders above the others in terms of football awareness, him moving on could be a catalyst for the team to progress as a whole?

An excellent post!

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 pm

4143 wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:Part of me wonders whether, as much as I thought Sawyers was head and shoulders above the others in terms of football awareness, him moving on could be a catalyst for the team to progress as a whole?

For apparently how so far ahead of the rest Sawyers is, it's neither helping to create positive results, nor is it improving those around him. This is why I question the opening premise.

Agreed. There's no denying Sawyers has got something, but at the end of the day what does he produce? Very few goals, which considering he is our second most advanced player is a big problem, and not even that many assists.

For me Sawyers personifies Dean Smith's Walsall, great at times, awful at others and when it comes to cold, hard end product, just falls short.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still have him in the team, but in my eyes all this recent talk of a move to the Premier League is fanciful.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:27 pm

Tyldesley_saddler wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:Did anyone actually enjoy the day??? :D

Loved every minute of it.
Don't think I will experience that again. Will live with me forever, even our dire performance.
Was it worth setting off at 6am and getting home at 11.30pm ? For sure.
Would I do it again ? Try and stop me.
£5 for a pint though outside the ground ! Robbing bastards :mrgreen:

i scored craft lager at £1.25 a pint. gotta be sharper!

damn, you could argue walsall STILL ain't played at wembley! disagree with those saying city looked good, problem being they didn't really have to.

apparently butler leaving was gonna enhance our style of play, truth is it's just made us easy to score against. service to good headers of the ball gives opponents too favorable a chance to score. we're left with no strength in the air at centre half and a 'keeper devoid of a clue when to come and collect the ball. for you rodophiles who blow a gasket should anybody dare question your hero, it was also mentioned on the telly. not all of us allow his sensational shot-stopping to blind us to the consistent shortcomings in other areas of his game.

as for the noise thing, we tried to begin with but due to the size of wembley and how we were spaced out, it didn't really get going. followed by very little to fire us up thereafter! we still bettered city, though, save for their goals and the end of the match.

and as a closer, as badly as we're playing, we ain't going down!

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:35 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Great weekend not spoiled by the match, pissed off definitely, we just didn't seem to turn up or have a go. I hope the players felt they gave it their all on such a big stage, because it didn't look it.

Bristol City are the best team in this division for years though are are almost literally a league above.

really? i thought southampton were the only really good team i've seen in recent seasons, except for, and i accept i'm biased, us 2 years ago!

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:23 pm

wfc & chips wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:Great weekend not spoiled by the match, pissed off definitely, we just didn't seem to turn up or have a go. I hope the players felt they gave it their all on such a big stage, because it didn't look it.

really? i thought southampton were the only really good team i've seen in recent seasons, except for, and i accept i'm biased, us 2 years ago!

Agreed Bristol City are good, but Southampton looked they like comfortably belonged in a higher division and it turns out they did!

newjersey exile

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:57 pm

I just got back to the US after the weekend - extended slightly by a day due to a bout of the shits bought on after a pub meal in Mayfair Saturday night - my niece is on the way down there now to fire bomb the place!

Disappointed about the game ........ blah blah blah etc etc. same as all you folks.

But just to touch on the atmosphere at our end. I'm not normally overly demonstrative - but at times I was a gnats close to standing up, waving my arms and trying to get something going, as other folks around me did.

But there were no takers - just blank looks.

I was very disappointed in that.

Of course the casuals didn't know our songs - but I remember going to Man U and Liverpool in the 70's & 80', and granted, we had a bigger hard core of supporters there on both of those occasions back then but lots and lots of them where casuals as they were on Sunday. And yet I remember out shouting the home support just with a simple all together now rendition of 'Walsall'!!! shouted over and over again.

Maybe times have changed and I should just shut up and put up.

Anyway - I'm hoping our Wembley trip is like the no. 3 bus - wait for ages then 3 come along at once!

Quick summary of the weekend - had a buddy wonderful wonderful time & experience .......... & cack - a lot!
:( :oops: :D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:51 am

I enjoyed a great day. Easy flight in and a huge bacon breakfast at the Travelodge. Then a leisurely walk and tube to the ground. In fact I saw the arch and got off to walk about a mile in bright sunshine.

The Green Man was an epic Walsall fan fest and I must have met 30+ friends of old throughout the day. Wandered around the ground and went in about ten past 3.

The ground seemed quite good to me - but I'm no expert on huge grounds. I enjoyed the spectacle.

The game went to form unfortunately, and Brizzle were bang on. To get anything we had to prevent them scoring for as long as possible, build our confidence and erode theirs. So, conceding on 15 and 51 made that practically impossible. We managed to get some crosses over, but they were mostly utter crap and we snatched at a few shots.

Oh well, that's football. People upset or angry at the players, fans etc need a bit of perspective. It wasn't the playoffs with two winning teams facing off, it was a cup game with one form team at the top, playing a misfiring team in shaky form.

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:07 pm

Don't really know why I'm making this observation, but just after witnessing the flat, disappointing, almost depressing performance, I turned to my daughters and reflected that despite the way we had played I thought that we probably had more shots than them.
Having just found some stats it seems that I was almost correct.
What this says once again is that stats don't appear to bear much relevance in the context of the whole.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:37 pm

The Bosted Slab wrote:Don't really know why I'm making this observation, but just after witnessing the flat, disappointing, almost depressing performance, I turned to my daughters and reflected that despite the way we had played I thought that we probably had more shots than them.
Having just found some stats it seems that I was almost correct.
What this says once again is that stats don't appear to bear much relevance in the context of the whole.

Because Bristol didn't get out of second gear. If they needed more goals they would have had more shots.

saddla
Site Addict

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:25 pm

I get the feeling that I am almost unique amongst saddler fans insofar as I actually go to games to watch the football. I don't sing much anymore, although I have been known to have a rant at referees occasionally. I don't go to the pub before games. If I want to get merry I can do that at my local with a few more like minded people that I know and have a chat about putting the world to rights.

When I go to a match, and I go to all the home games and most of the away in the south or the east, I really want to watch the football and see my team perform.
On Sunday I went down to London with my family, parking about 2 miles from Wembley and walking to the stadium. We ate in a rather packed Macdonalds and then walked down Wembley way (sorry Nogin :lol: ) passed some idiots who were intent on having a dust up in the bar just outside the stadium and got in our seats about 45 minutes before kick off. The build up was quite good I thought, nice flame throwers and the crystal palace cheerleaders.
The game itself was absolutely dire from a Walsall perspective. Though the 6 guys who sat in front of us paying £60 quid a time didn't see much of it. They came to their seats about 10 minutes after the kickoff, stayed about 10 minutes and then disappeared I assume to go the bog. Came back with about 20 mins to go, stayed until 10 mins before half time and then went en-mass to stock up on the beers. The second half was pretty much a repeat of the first. I just don't see much point in going to Wembley and doing that.
Do most people look upon it as an excuse for a booze up? Why do you need one? I can do that anytime. The chance of seeing my team at Wembley will probably never occur again in my lifetime.

I'm going to Chesterfield on Saturday in the hope of seeing my team perform. Not to spend a couple of hours in the pub. maybe I'm just a miserable sod :mrgreen:

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:36 pm

saddla wrote:I get the feeling that I am almost unique amongst saddler fans insofar as I actually go to games to watch the football. I don't sing much anymore, although I have been known to have a rant at referees occasionally. I don't go to the pub before games. If I want to get merry I can do that at my local with a few more like minded people that I know and have a chat about putting the world to rights.

When I go to a match, and I go to all the home games and most of the away in the south or the east, I really want to watch the football and see my team perform.
On Sunday I went down to London with my family, parking about 2 miles from Wembley and walking to the stadium. We ate in a rather packed Macdonalds and then walked down Wembley way (sorry Nogin :lol: ) passed some idiots who were intent on having a dust up in the bar just outside the stadium and got in our seats about 45 minutes before kick off. The build up was quite good I thought, nice flame throwers and the crystal palace cheerleaders.
The game itself was absolutely dire from a Walsall perspective. Though the 6 guys who sat in front of us paying £60 quid a time didn't see much of it. They came to their seats about 10 minutes after the kickoff, stayed about 10 minutes and then disappeared I assume to go the bog. Came back with about 20 mins to go, stayed until 10 mins before half time and then went en-mass to stock up on the beers. The second half was pretty much a repeat of the first. I just don't see much point in going to Wembley and doing that.
Do most people look upon it as an excuse for a booze up? Why do you need one? I can do that anytime. The chance of seeing my team at Wembley will probably never occur again in my lifetime.

I'm going to Chesterfield on Saturday in the hope of seeing my team perform. Not to spend a couple of hours in the pub. maybe I'm just a miserable sod :mrgreen:

I'm the same! Went for the footy, I aye a social person (except being on about 4 forums cause that makes sense), so I go for the footy and the atmosphere.

Boring and proud :mrgreen:

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:45 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
saddla wrote:I get the feeling that I am almost unique amongst saddler fans insofar as I actually go to games to watch the football. I don't sing much anymore, although I have been known to have a rant at referees occasionally. I don't go to the pub before games. If I want to get merry I can do that at my local with a few more like minded people that I know and have a chat about putting the world to rights.

I'm the same! Went for the footy, I aye a social person (except being on about 4 forums cause that makes sense), so I go for the footy and the atmosphere.

Same here, I must be boring too. A pre match drink I can kind-of understand - never really been my thing unless an away game to meet up with mates beforehand - but I don't understand getting bladdered before any match let alone the Wembley game. Bloke near me stumbled into his seat 15 mins after kick off and was so wasted he could hardly keep his eyes open......surely you want to take in and remember the game? That said he might have had the right approach on Sunday :D

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:08 pm

special mention for the genius near me who slated bax for WINNING A TACKLE! i know some of you divs like to get on his back whether he's playing well or not, but this was some next level cack.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:57 pm

wfc & chips wrote:

Think Bristol are on a par with Wolves from a year ago who could very easily finish in the top 6 this season so there's your guide.

It's just an example of a big club that's lost its way, falls into a league below it's capabilities, gradually regroups and then has one season where they conquer all before them, it's happened to Norwich, Leicester, Southampton and Wolves all in recent times.

But not for Sheffield United. :lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:59 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:

You'll be telling us next you go on the Official coaches. :lol:

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:57 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:

You'll be telling us next you go on the Official coaches. :lol:

Do the supporters trust coaches count as official? :mrgreen:

I go on them if we cor drive down. (Like 4 times a season)

SWS1

Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:50 pm

We'm Worsul, aye we?
:mrgreen:

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:05 am

Super Gabor wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:

Same here, I must be boring too. A pre match drink I can kind-of understand - never really been my thing unless an away game to meet up with mates beforehand - but I don't understand getting bladdered before any match let alone the Wembley game. Bloke near me stumbled into his seat 15 mins after kick off and was so wasted he could hardly keep his eyes open......surely you want to take in and remember the game? That said he might have had the right approach on Sunday :D

Me too.
I like to hear singing but you wouldn't want to hear my voice.
The ref often does however as well as the players.
A mate went to a Birmingham game recently and I asked him how it went.
"Don't know as I'd had a few".
Wonker!

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:16 am

Whitters wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:

Me too.
I like to hear singing but you wouldn't want to hear my voice.
The ref often does however as well as the players.
A mate went to a Birmingham game recently and I asked him how it went.
"Don't know as I'd had a few".
Wonker!

I got three quarters of a gallon in at The Green Man. Which was just about right: I didn't fall asleep and a piss before K.O. and one after the final whistle was enough to see me home.

I tend not to drink in pubs at away matches these days although I might have a couple pre-match in the ground. Driving an all that.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:56 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
wfc & chips wrote:

Think Bristol are on a par with Wolves from a year ago who could very easily finish in the top 6 this season so there's your guide.

It's just an example of a big club that's lost its way, falls into a league below it's capabilities, gradually regroups and then has one season where they conquer all before them, it's happened to Norwich, Leicester, Southampton and Wolves all in recent times.

But not for Sheffield United. :lol:

your guide maybe, but i prefer my measures to be a little more scientific, although i suppose i should thank you for proving my point. darth claims city are the best team we've seen at this level for years, i state it was clearly southampton by some distance, you dispute this by claiming city may be the equal of a team we made look inept at their place last season. again, thanks.

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:04 pm

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season