Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol City (Wembley) JPT Final Sunday 22 March 3.30pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Re: Bristol City (Wembley) JPT Final Sunday 22 March 3.30pm

Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:37 am

If you don't care about the result you are not a real Saddler!!
Come on you Blacks!!

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:40 am

I don't normally predict but my little sister told me the score yesterday.
2-1 us.
Don't know who scores !
Putting my money on that !!

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:30 am

Tyldesley_saddler wrote:http://www.johnstonespainttrophy.com/news/2014-15/final-set-to-be-biggest-football-match-of-weekend/

There you go sallian.
Towards the bottom of the article !

Excellent tyldesley! Thanks, I will be there God Willing

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:56 am

Like many others , the closer the day gets , the feeling is transforming from

"We got to Wembley , that's all that matters , it will be a great day " to ....

" This is going to be massive and I badly want us to win it " ( but with the comfort of knowing it will still be a great day )

I think we can do it . With all the hype and the novelty of seeing a 30k backing for the first time , I fully expect Saddlers fans to make ten times the noise of Bristol and be our extra man.

2-1 , Sawyers and Forde .

COME ON YOU SADDLERS !!!!!!!!

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:06 am

portlandbill wrote:If you don't care about the result you are not a real Saddler!!
Come on you Blacks!!

Hahaha so because im not bothered if we win lose or draw im not a real saddler? And i take it u mean my grandad, dad and son are not real saddlers either as they feel the same. My dads had a season ticket for 30 odd years, ive had mine for 26 years and my son for 7 years. Not to mention my grandad who has been going to odd games here and there since the 50's.....not sure what qualifies you to be a real fan these days but i thought i was doing ok. Obviously not.... Dick

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:33 am

Just noticed there's highlights of this on BBC 1 at 11.40pm tomorrow night.

We should all be back by then shouldn't we? :mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:49 am

SoccerHQ wrote:Just noticed there's highlights of this on BBC 1 at 11.40pm tomorrow night.

I won't be home by then. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:45 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Just noticed there's highlights of this on BBC 1 at 11.40pm tomorrow night.

Might just make it back for then.

BhamSaddler3

Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:17 pm

REGRETTABLE
Wembley Tickets For Sale
Iv got 6x Adult tickets and a 1x concession in the £48 seating area in a prime location.
Will sell for £45 each
Contact Paul on 074045 81996

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:45 pm

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:27 pm

Just read that the only match in Europe with a bigger attendance this weekend will be El Classico.

Made me loff.

Cor wait.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:22 pm

Is anybody at Wembley receiving me?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:06 pm

First goal a real gift, too much attention being paid to players trying to obstruct O'Donnell on the set-piece, and we forgot the biggest player on the pitch to give him an unchallenged header.
Allowing ourselves to get beaten to the ball too often, we need to get a grip.
Bristol City ass-licking commentators are a real irritation, but in fairness we're getting a bit of a lesson in this first half, and giving the ball to City far too easily.

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:31 pm

Mega pissed off after that. don't care that we lost but to perform like that on a day like today was awful. Bradshaw was obviously not fit enough to start and should have been on the bench at best. As soon as jordy came on we looked better.

Cant be arsed to comment on other players as nobody played well today.

The way we set up to play was no different to any other week and it didnt work here either shock horror.

Disappointed

paddy
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:32 pm

Dreadful performance, showed city to much respect & went out thinking they couldn't beat them

Yet again no plan b from smith

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:36 pm

What do the walsall players and Geoff whiting have in common?

Neither turned up at wembley today �

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:42 pm

Feel disappointed for those who travelled a long way for our no show

Grateful they did though as it was great to see 30k saddlers

Still proud to be a saddler

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:48 pm

Walsall looked tired from beginning to me

Were not getting into space, taking too long to pass the ball

Kept giving away possession as they were cramped and didn't switch play to space quick enough

Again...a stranded striker who was injured!!! Great decision making there from Smith!!!

This is what happens when you only have one way of playing....its like we fastened our own straight jacket.

Both goals you could argue about (but not much)....first Downing was being climbed on and second may have touched hand.....but probably hit hand....bristol deserved win and controlled game

I'm really surprised the players could lift themselves for the event though.

I think they turned up thinking they were going to win.

Substitutions too little too late, and only like for like....Grimes and Baxo should have been on from beginning.

They may not recover now....after seemingly putting everything into this and falling so short.

Bristol were stronger, faster, hungrier and better shaped.....they got forward quicker

caldy
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:01 pm

On the coach on the way home. Note to Wembley Stadium, for the national stadium to have non existent organisation re parking etc... Disgrace. Rant over, we were beaten by a much better team. They made runs for the ball in anticipation of getting it. Our lot were slow, low on confidence I thought. There's an old cliche "dont leave anything on the pitch" I'm afraid our lot left loads on the pitch. We need to sharpen up or else we will be in a relegation battle.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:30 pm

I thought that was a very disappointing performance from us, never fought our way into it or ever looked like coming back after going behind to a bad goal. We then gave away a second bad goal early in the 2nd half, allowing their player absolutely ages unchallenged out on the wing before he delivered his cross. As well as giving away both goals, we gave the ball away far too often, when we got in towards their goal the final delivery was generally awful, and we came off second-best in the majority of challenges.

Thought it was embarrassingly one-sided at times, not very much for us to get excited about in the entire 90 minutes, so no doubt that City were very deserving winners on the day. I really hoped we'd do ourselves justice today, but it didn't happen and it was a very disappointing performance.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:33 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:What do the Walsall players and Geoff Whiting have in common?

Neither turned up at Wembley today �

Difference was, though, that THEY were supposed to show up - I wasn't!

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:34 pm

Walking along singing a song walking in a Walsall wonderland there's only 1 ray Graydon.
Jorge leitao, Pedro, zigor, hall, barras, tilson, even tom fudge Bennett your my hero's still.
fudge u sawyers fudge u cook fudge u Grimes fudge off to the conference

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:38 pm

otiswfc wrote:Walking along singing a song walking in a Walsall wonderland there's only 1 ray Graydon.
Jorge leitao, Pedro, zigor, hall, barras, tilson, even tom fudge Bennett your my hero's still.

U can't blame Grimes for any of that....u can blame the manager for having no alternative strategies and for giving capable players like Grimes and Baxendale a few minutes to turn things around....while preferring injured players

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:42 pm

Very disappointing. We never looked the part. Didn't close them down at all. Always second to the second ball. Played at too slow pace.

As for Wmbley....do they only have one ball? Whenever the ball went into the crowd it took ages to return. Probably cost a good 5 to 10 minutes overall.

The best team won.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:47 pm

Sawyers was the only one to turn up today and be mildly happy with his performance. He at least tried to make things happen even if his final ball wasn't great. I suppose O'Donnell handled well on occasions and didn't have a chance with either goal.

The rest...meh but what were the alternatives. Purkiss getting skinned time and again by Freeman but then O'Connor is even worse with pace. Taylor, not really fit but the alternative was Benning.

Maybe on balance Cain should've played in a 3 man midfield with Sawyers behind two forwards but lack of width then.

I look at it as Bristol City are a pretty good team and they turned up today so a defeat was always likely, they're not as good as Wolves but will be solid mid table in the championship.

A goal at Wembley would've been nice though.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:48 pm

Shite game, piss poor performance across the board, well deserved defeat. As for crap Pizza Hut with the embarrassment of a footie pitch attached, the less said the better. Ho the fudge can it take a hour to even get a coach off the car park.
I'm personally happy not to bother going to that corporate shithole again unless it's for a playoff

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:49 pm

sallian wrote:
otiswfc wrote:Walking along singing a song walking in a Walsall wonderland there's only 1 ray Graydon.

U can't blame Grimes for any of that....u can blame the manager for having no alternative strategies and for giving capable players like Grimes and Baxendale a few minutes to turn things around....while preferring injured players

Agreed pal agreed

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:51 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Sawyers was the only one to turn up today and be mildly happy with his performance. He at least tried to make things happen even if his final ball wasn't great. I suppose O'Donnell handled well on occasions and didn't have a chance with either goal.

The rest...meh but what were the alternatives. Purkiss getting skinned time and again by Freeman but then O'Connor is even worse with pace. Taylor, not really fit but the alternative was Benning.

Maybe on balance Cain should've played in a 3 man midfield with Sawyers behind two forwards but lack of width then.

I look at it as Bristol City are a pretty good team and they turned up today so a defeat was always likely, they're not as good as Wolves but will be solid mid table in the championship.

As for you sawyers turned up? that fudge would be late for his own funeral and I am a loyal regular fan before u start.
Sin enough of that lazy lazy lazy Scunthorpe

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:55 pm

otiswfc wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Sawyers was the only one to turn up today and be mildly happy with his performance. He at least tried to make things happen even if his final ball wasn't great. I suppose O'Donnell handled well on occasions and didn't have a chance with either goal.

As for you sawyers turned up? that fudge would be late for his own funeral and I am a loyal regular fan before u start.
Sin enough of that lazy lazy lazy Scunthorpe

I'm critical of Sawyers aswell, he dosen't produce enough goals and assists for his talent but I thought he tried hard today to make things happen, he would've looked very good in the Bristol City team.

Bristol though....bringing on Emmanuel Thomas and Wade Elliot at the end was taking the mick somewhat, I assumed both were integral first team players so they have a little bit better first 11 and squad really.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:02 pm

Sawyers has got all the attributes to be a top player, but he is simply not performing. Smiths loyalty to him in contrast with his lack of loyalty to Cain is staggering

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season