Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield United (H) League One Tues 17 Mar, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Sheffield United (H) League One Tues 17 Mar, 7.45pm

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:39 pm

HT 0-1. Let's hope for better in the second half!
Last edited by BathSaddler on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:Why on earth is benning playing, I thought he was in York? And where is Bradshaw? God forbid hope he is not injured again ffs

I can only presume resting Taylor, or he is nursing a knock. Putting Benning in is just asking for trouble, he's not good enough defensively.

Benning was recalled from York, as they had signed more loan players leading to their having too many, and someone had to go. I would imagine he's being used to save Andy Taylor for Sunday - there can't be any other logical reason.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:41 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:Why on earth is benning playing, I thought he was in York? And where is Bradshaw? God forbid hope he is not injured again ffs

I can only presume resting Taylor, or he is nursing a knock. Putting Benning in is just asking for trouble, he's not good enough defensively.

Mick Kearns said in commentary that both were injured & were not being rested.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:41 pm

Nothing to lose in the second half - I'd hate to see Jordy get another yellow and possibly miss Wembley, so how about bringing Bakayoko on to see what damage he can do?

Colchester United 2 Yeovil Town 0

Notts County 1 Rochdale 2

Port Vale 2 Crawley 3

Oldham 0 Dons 3 - Master Holden has his work cut out....

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:05 pm

Attendance 3,950, including 665 away.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:11 pm

hullsaddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

Mick Kearns said in commentary that both were injured & were not being rested.

Bradshaw has hamstring injury but 'hopeful' of making Sunday

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:21 pm

Grimes on for Cook, 68 minutes.......

AND AS IF BY MAGIC.....WE HAVE AN EQUALISER !!!!!!!!!

A headed goal from Grimes....took him all of 2 minutes - Grimes OUT.......

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:22 pm

Super bleeding sub Grimes... :o

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:23 pm

fudge me, it's Grimes :shock:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:24 pm

And 2 minutes after scoring, Grimes hits the post with a shot....is he trying to tell us something????

And now Benning's had a shot on target....this is just extracting the urine. :shock:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:25 pm

And now he's hit the shagging post :shock: :shock:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:26 pm

chestersaddler wrote:And now he's hit the shagging post :shock: :shock:

:shock:

Come on Ashley!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:26 pm

Phew! We neeeeded that, we were only 5 points of a relegation zone, that is getting stronger (apart from Yeovil) so after Saturdays results it could become squeaky bum time after our day out at Wembley!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:30 pm

Lord grimes

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:33 pm

Lalkovic sent off for Barnsley.......

Bristol City 3 Crewe Alex 0 now

Fleetwood 0 Coventry City 1

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Bakayoko on for Jordy Hiwula, 84 minutes.

Ashley Grimes has gone 15 minutes without scoring - get rid............

Cain on for Mantom, 88 minutes

It took Bakayoko 3 minutes to get booked.... :roll:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:45 pm

Final score 1-1. If Bradshaw's knackered for Sunday, Grimes has done his chances no harm at all tonight.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:46 pm

As on Saturday, I'll take that point. I'm very pleased for Ashley Grimes - inspired substitution? It appears that O'Donnell once more saved us at the death too.

Onwards and upwards to the next match...

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:48 pm

Grimes shouldn't ever play 90 minutes again, don't care if he scored tonight. Hiwula if Bradshaw is missing. Good point considering the vast budget difference in squad and what Clough could do in January - didn't they pay £1m+ upfront for that right back Brayford who played tonight? Stats suggest it was us who were the better side and should have won it after we equalised.

Good result, the Blades are notoriously strong at this time of the season.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:49 pm

Decent point, Sheffield United must be the most boring team in the universe.

4 points from Chesterfield and Notts County will be 50 points so safety right there, not that I'm worried about relegation at all as teams like Oldham and Notts County are in far worse form.

See you all at Wembley. :mrgreen:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Sadders wrote:Grimes shouldn't ever play 90 minutes again, don't care if he scored tonight. Hiwula if Bradshaw is missing. Good point considering the vast budget difference in squad and what Clough could do in January - didn't they pay £1m+ upfront for that right back Brayford who played tonight? Stats suggest it was us who were the better side and should have won it after we equalised.

Grimes came on didn't he?

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:01 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
Sadders wrote:Grimes shouldn't ever play 90 minutes again, don't care if he scored tonight. Hiwula if Bradshaw is missing. Good point considering the vast budget difference in squad and what Clough could do in January - didn't they pay £1m+ upfront for that right back Brayford who played tonight? Stats suggest it was us who were the better side and should have won it after we equalised.

Grimes came on didn't he?

I'm not sure as i wasn't there but i'm sure he scored, may be wrong :wink:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:09 pm

Frustrating.

We were ok in the first half, nothing brilliant but fairly good except for the lapse for the goal.
Although we had only one shot on target it doesn't tell the whole story. There were plenty of good opportunities and forays into their half but as per usual they ended up stalling as soon as we got to the edge of their box.

Second half we really had a go at them and showed what we were capable of.
Grimes goal and his shot on the post were produced from some quick football and attacking impetus that caught United off guard. It's that kind of play we need to do more of.

Frustrating also because in the 2nd half we were by far the better team and should have finished them off for the win. We created plenty of chances. At least we didn't lose.

Ref was a complete numpty and the 4th official not much better. Not sure how he thought 3mins injury time in the 1st half was enough to cover Uniteds blatant time wasting. He made up for it by finding a non-existent 4mins injury time for the 2nd half though. Plank.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:14 pm

Benning best of back 4 for me, which was surprising to say the least :shock: Taylor still in for Sunday though. Cook was poor, Grimes had an instant impact and we played much better with the ball sticking up front and finding Grimes more who hid a lot less than Cook did. Hiwula was good, should've had a penalty as well but it wor given. Bring Grimesy on as an impact sub more often as he seems to enjoy that more than starting.

Grimes to score Wembley winner off the bench Byfield esc anyone?
Last edited by JonnyOwen on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:16 pm

I can definetely live with Grimes off the bench, he looked lively at Bradford when he came on. I just don't want him starting Sunday upfront instead of Hiwula if Bradshaw isn't fit. Good point.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:19 pm

If Bradshaw is fit I'd take Cook out and play Hiwula out wide as Cook seems to be in poor form atm.

Or maybe play Chambers, Cain and Mantom as a three man central midfield.

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:29 pm

Decent point, although Sheffield United are absolutely odious and as for Nigel Clough..... :evil:

I thought first half we generally controlled possession without really threatening and Jordy probably should have done better with his header.

Second half we pretty much bossed the game with United having 11 men behind the ball and hoofing long aimless 'passes' into the corners. Benning was very impressive to be fair, although he didn't really get defensively tested too much tonight- I think if he was to start on Sunday he might struggle a fair bit more...

Great header by Grimes after a brilliant cross by Purkiss, who seemed to have a lot of space down the right all night. Bakayoko also had a decent chance towards the end.

All in all, happy with the performance although I do feel we probably deserved 4 points out of the MK/Sheff U games.

Looking forward to Sunday!!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:38 pm

These horrifically bad refereeing performances are becoming the norm now. I'm very fair when it comes to refs, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt all the time.

This numpty tonight allowed SU to waste around 6 of the final 9mins of the first half, then gave a foul against Hiwula for nothing, then booked him for complaining. He halted play to move the ball backwards for freekicks in our own half, but allowed SU take take 10-15 yards at throw ins.

Then in the 2nd half Hiwula got floored in the area, a much stronger challenge than the one he booked Hiwula for in the first half, play on was his decision, then he booked Bakayoko for what was admittedly a foul, just a little late, and was his first offence, no consideration that the las had just come on. Then he bought one of the clearest dives from a shoulder to shoulder challenge I've ever seen when they're lad got to the nice angle for a free kick. A free kick which resulted in Ben Davies nearly scoring.

Where do they get these idiots? I mean that wasn't just a poor refereeing display, it was atrocious. No consistency, bad decisions, not applying the rules regarding injuries and stoppage time, strange advantage decisions, booking players for the slightest infringement, it had it all.

I'm not one of these who likes to blame referees for results, and thankfully this guy didn't have an affect on the result, but Im struggling to grasp the modern incompetency of referees.

Anyway, on to the game, clearly everyone's minds are on Wembley. Again, Purkiss had a poor game, but redeemed himself with one decent cross (at the 12th attempt) which lead to our goal. Not quite sure how Sawyers got the MOTM, Benning looked strong, but you'd expect that from someone in last chance saloon.

Our season is fizzling out, come Monday we've got another 2 months of tedious sideways football with the faint possibility of relegation.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:42 pm

Brian Clough must be spinning in his grave! I couldn't watch that shite every week.

The ref was an absolute cock! How the hell was there only 3 minutes at the end of the first half?

Not a bad performance but we're way too slow in our attacking play.

Oh well, see you all in norf lahnden.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:15 pm

Pretty good performance but again lacked that all important bit of invention or imagination around the final third. Most of our lot put in 7/10 performances - possibly with the exception of Benning, who bizarrely had his best 90 minutes in a Walsall shirt for me.

This rarely happens but what ultimately cost us was both of our two midfielders getting outmuscled in the build up to their goal. Aside from that, I thought Mantom looked pretty decent - we look more dangerous when he plays because he's willing sto risk that early forward pass or run beyond the striker, which barely anyone else ever does.

I still find it baffling that people argue Purkiss is weak going forward. He delivered a number of crosses that were as good as a striker could hope for tonight - one of which we converted. Yes, it's all very well me saying that after we've scored from one, but it's something he does most weeks for those willing to open their eyes.

They looked as poor a side as I've seen at our place for a good few months, yet we didn't have enough to beat them - a bit like Saturday, but MK Dons showed a bit more quality going forward.

Two more wins in the league should see us safe. The sooner we get them, the sooner Smith can try something radical - like 4-4-2 for the odd ten minutes here and there.

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season