Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield United (H) League One Tues 17 Mar, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Walsallone
UTS Legend

Re: Sheffield United (H) League One Tues 17 Mar, 7.45pm

Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:23 pm

Once again a very good second half during which we tore a very poor Sheffield Utd. side apart. A good goal,the post and bar hit and as Phil says one of the worst displays from a referee I have seen since D'urso against Port Vale! Adam Chambers was my MOM followed by Benning(Yes....you read it right) who was much better than Taylor has been for a few weeks. 9 weeks at York has clearly done him good. If he can reproduce that form he may yet have future here.
Mantom .although not at his best,is clearly better than the other options in midfield and we have missed him greatly. One final point we used the ball much quicker tonight and got it forward more often-more please.
I agree with Tinned regarding BC and I told their directors so on my way out!

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:25 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:the sooner Smith can try something radical - like 4-4-2 for the odd ten minutes here and there.

:shock:

Blimey, one step at a time eh? Let's first let him realise there is such a thing as the mythical plan B.

:wink:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:29 pm

tinned wrote:Brian Clough must be spinning in his grave! I couldn't watch that shite every week.

Agreed - and people moan about our style of football. :lol:

They're welcome to Clough. He's another grossly overrated manager keeping his side in League One in spite of the huge resources he keeps being given. A bit like Karl Robinson (without the mildly amusing accent) and Darren Ferguson (without the famous dad).

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:30 pm

Sawyers will be missing at Chesterfield -lets hope we trey something different in that game.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:50 pm

Dear Mr. Lewis. Please consider an alternative way of making people unhappy. That's it. Kind regards etc.

Shocking.

bescot42
UTS Regular

Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:28 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
tinned wrote:Brian Clough must be spinning in his grave! I couldn't watch that shite every week.

They're welcome to Clough. He's another grossly overrated manager keeping his side in League One in spite of the huge resources he keeps being given. A bit like Karl Robinson (without the mildly amusing accent) and Darren Ferguson (without the famous dad).

Really?!

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:06 am

WFC_Rob wrote:

I think Nigel Cloughs dad is just a bit famous having won the European cup back to back having a stand named after him at Nottingham forest and also managed leeds United and Derby County :lol:

m&m
Glitterati

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:05 am

Another game we should have won but didn't .
This season we will need at least 52 points to stay up.the sooner we reach this total the better.
It's good going into Sunday without losing the last 2 games though.

Louise
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:29 am

Louise wrote:Hope we can put in a good performance before Wembley, 1-1.
Last home game at night was awful so Im hopeful of watching better tonight.

Well wish I had put a bet on now!
Im still seething this Morning after watching one of the most incompetent Refs I have ever had the misfortune to witness.
He allowed the Sheff Utd Players to dictate the pace of the game and the fiasco 5 mins before half time with their Players dropping like flies was a disgrace.
They fell to the floor 'injured', with great dramatic skills and then the Ref allows at least 5 mins+ time to treat them ,if they are 'injured' get them off the pitch.
But wait what yonder miracle I see not once but twice they rise up and run back on the pitch.However 3 mins added time allowed - total joke.
Second half another dive worthy of Mr Daley, ref acknowledged it was a dive ,but no booking!
I know its not easy being a Ref and I understand we all make mistakes but this was beyond a joke.He should never ref a professional game again.

Clough jnr , you are not fit to have the great Man's name. To send a team out to be so cynical and unprofessional as Tinned rightly said your dad would be spinning in his grave.

The game itself, we had enough chances to win and should have.
O 'Donnell, my player of the season yet again did a couple of great saves to keep us safe.
Benning looked an improved player and Grimes played the role of super sub.
Hope the injuries to Taylor and Bradshaw are not going to affect Wembley , we would miss them greatly.

Looking foward finally now to Wembley .

Louise
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:50 am

They're welcome to Clough. He's another grossly overrated manager keeping his side in League One in spite of the huge resources he keeps being given. A bit like Karl Robinson (without the mildly amusing accent) and Darren Ferguson (without the famous dad).[/quote]

Young Man I presume this is a wind up! :shock:

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:02 am

philthesaddler wrote:Again, Purkiss had a poor game, but redeemed himself with one decent cross (at the 12th attempt) which lead to our goal.

:roll: Seriously, why do you hate Purkiss so much?

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:47 am

It's taken a Worldy to score against us, and we had to play against a barclays ref and the Sheff Utd backroom staff who may have well have put seats on the pitch. At least one of the headers should have been put away - poor finishing cost us, but overall we played well - especially second half.

Mantom showed how much we miss him. Not fully fit but offers far more than any other cente mid we have and I only wish he'd been fit all season. Forde was good - all the decisive attacks seem to involve him - as was Benning (which is nice to say).

Well done to the 3000 odd Saddlers who attended - while i'm happy we're taking nearly 30000 to Wembley, how the hell do we only get a tenth of that at home? Ridiculous.

While Smith isn't perfect, thank God we don't have Clough. The resources they have a their disposal at this level and all they can manage to serve up is that dour, rubbish. Just shows what having a famous name can do for you.

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:57 am

Having had a quick scan through the comments i cant believe that nobody else has questioned the man of the match decision. Sawyers was not even close to MOTM. Should have gone to chambers or dare i say it benning, as someone else said last night was probably his best game in a walsall shirt, bareley put a foot wrong all night. The sawyers decision had quite a few of us in stitches where i sit.

Ref was barclays as per usual, the level of officiating at this level beggars belief week in week out. Appalling.

Hopefully RO'D can find a few more saves like the couple he made last night, although (and i may be being a bit harsh on him) i think he should have done better with their goal. Seemed to dive in slow motion. Nothing slow about his reactions for the volley he saved 1st half or the one near the end of the game which essentially won us a point. Player of the season by a country mile, unless last nights match sponsors are picking the winner in which case it will be sawyers :mrgreen:

See u all at wemberleyyyy!!!

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:09 pm

tipton saddler wrote:Having had a quick scan through the comments i cant believe that nobody else has questioned the man of the match decision. Sawyers was not even close to MOTM.

I really like Sawyers but I agree with that. He had a decent game but was never MOTM.

I thought Forde was class - looked dangerous every time he got the ball.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:30 pm

bescot42 wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Really?!

Haha, didn't think that through, did I?!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:34 pm

I can see why there's a bit of a debate around the man of the match decision, but it's not like Sawyers had a bad game, is it?

I actually find it quite interesting to see who the match sponsors pick as their man of the match as they are often chosen by people who don't go to our home games every week. Perhaps they weren't aware of the anti-Sawyers mentality so many on here seem to be subscribing to?

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:35 pm

Whilst I do usually agree on the rubbish support, which our support in numbers very much is. There was 2,300 at Oldham last night, less than 3,000 at Notts County. Whilst we should have a lot more behind us each week, we generally don't drop below 3,500 home fans, certainly very rarely below 3,000. Which is impressive considering it's a few days before wembley, we are predominantly average at home and the league season is effectively over.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:41 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I can see why there's a bit of a debate around the man of the match decision, but it's not like Sawyers had a bad game, is it?

I actually find it quite interesting to see who the match sponsors pick as their man of the match as they are often chosen by people who don't go to our home games every week. Perhaps they weren't aware of the anti-Sawyers mentality so many on here seem to be subscribing to?

Apart from a (very) few I don't see anti-Sawyers mentality at all.

I can see he's got ability and possess the tools toinfluence games but it's just that he doesn't do it anywhere near enough. At the start of the season he himself said he needed to get more goals. Having an occasional shot or run into the box would be a start!

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:23 pm

I thought first half poor not playing bad just not playing at all do not remember decent walsall tackle until about 40 mins team seemed to be playing to not get injured.
Second half completly different realised how bad sheffield were and took control, grimes either a lucky or inspired sub and should have won easily with chances created, great saves from my player of season again.
Agree with everyone ref terrible seen better in local youth league.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:52 pm

Grimes actually livened things up when he came on...

caldy
UTS Regular

Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:04 pm

Couldn't make it to the game last night so wouldn't comment on it but reading this I see a few comments about Nigel "misery guts" Clough. What did he do? Or was he just being his usual lovely self.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:08 pm

Constant moaning at the referee and 4th official,running on the pitch to claim fouls, querying every decision and doing it all in a loud,vulgar manner. His worst crime however was to send a team out who have cost millions to play hoofball. His dad famously said "if God had wanted football played in the sky he would have put grass up there" As Tinned said earlier the old chap must be spinning in his grave.
In the second half they were completely outplayed by this team of ours and if there was any justice we would have won...penalty not given,post and bar hit!
As someone else said earlier all those who want Smith out be careful because we might end up with someone like Clough!

SWS1

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:01 pm

Walsallone wrote:Sawyers will be missing at Chesterfield -lets hope we trey something different in that game.

Why will Sawyers be missing at Chestfeels? Have I missed something?

Thought a point from a team expected to be in the playoffs was OK until I read the reports on here. I don't get to many games but I read all the UTS stuff and how many times have I read this season that we should have won a game we drew or lost? Almost countless. And we often out-shoot other teams, too. Still it's good that we can play football properly, even if we must, somehow learn to be more clinical. I thought Bradshaw might be the answer and, by any standards, he's done well, but sticking the ball in the net continues to be our Achilles heel. Still, are we due for a goal-fest like, say, Notts County away a bit ago? If so, let's hope it's Sunday :D (and the rest of the season :D ).
Ever the optimist! :mrgreen:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:10 pm

SWS1 wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Sawyers will be missing at Chesterfield -lets hope we trey something different in that game.

Why will Sawyers be missing at Chestfeels? Have I missed something?

Thought a point from a team expected to be in the playoffs was OK until I read the reports on here. I don't get to many games but I read all the UTS stuff and how many times have I read this season that we should have won a game we drew or lost? Almost countless. And we often out-shoot other teams, too. Still it's good that we can play football properly, even if we must, somehow learn to be more clinical. I thought Bradshaw might be the answer and, by any standards, he's done well, but sticking the ball in the net continues to be our Achilles heel. Still, are we due for a goal-fest like, say, Notts County away a bit ago? If so, let's hope it's Sunday :D (and the rest of the season :D ).
Ever the optimist! :mrgreen:

He's fudge off to the Caribbean for a World Cup gig or some such cack.

Yo man. (Son speak after watching too many episodes of Breaking Bad)

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:22 pm

Yo bitch! Get it right! :mrgreen:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:59 pm

aaaae wrote:Yo bitch! Get it right! :mrgreen:

I'm cowin' hopeless. According to the kids I'm the most unhip person on the planet.

They just smirk at my 'Sup Bruv's. They are completely merciless with my Innits - rolling aroumd like some demented characters from a Cadbury's Smash advert.

Bastards. :lol:

UTS Legend

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:42 pm

saddla
Site Addict

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:33 am

why do they never show the incompetent ref not giving us the penalty? :evil:

PT
Site Addict

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:26 pm

Neither of our woodwork hits feature on there either.

Last two games have been much better, though I though Sheff Utd were awful on Tuesday.

It's a shame that with a bit of positive momentum building in our league form that the cup gets in the way this weekend. Never mind eh. :D

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:48 pm

What a fantastic save by O'Donnell at the end there!

I fear he might need a few of those on Sunday!

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season