Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

M K Dons (H) League One 14th March, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
otiswfc
UTS Legend

Re: M K Dons (H) League One 14th March, 3pm

Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:07 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Otis, are you aware that Guest lives in Hong Kong?

I know he lives in Hong Kong he could live in timbucktoo for all I care but when someone calls our support pathetic I will defend it I have enough of that having to work in Wolverhampton 5 day's a week.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:10 pm

Thought we were Ok, deserved to win, but were too toothless today. Dongs were shite, but what can you expect with the limited budget that Ferguson to be Robinson has to cope with.

Griggs should fudge off and die the spoilt brat, we'll be seeing lots of him at Bezzla (championship player my arse) until he gets old and fat and sinks down to the 4th division in a few years (his pathetic non-celebration makes me regret I wasn't one of the boo boys in the 2 years for us when he was mediocre/cack before he had 10 pens and numerous goals put on a plate by Brandy/Patto). Scunthorpe, fits in well with the dongs. A fit, which concerningly he clearly ain't, Bradshaw is a better prospect - he have promoted us two years ago on the basis of the first half of his first season with us.

Mantom was a revelation - thought he'd last a hour today, he was the best player on the pitch by miles. Makes you realise what we've missed this season.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:31 pm

otiswfc wrote:

I know he lives in Hong Kong he could live in timbucktoo for all I care but when someone calls our support pathetic I will defend it I have enough of that having to work in Wolverhampton 5 day's a week.

Sorry, I thought you were criticising him for having a go at the attendance from his keyboard rather than being there.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:45 pm

Better than of late, but offered little real threat.

Interesting to read that Robinson turned up at the after match press conference with his lap top to demonstrate that his dongs were denied a penalty. That may or may not be the case, however it does further demonstrate the type of character this whinging tub of scouse lard is.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:55 pm

I thought that O'Conner should have been man of the the match never put a head or a foot wrong.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:03 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:Better than of late, but offered little real threat.

Interesting to read that Robinson turned up at the after match press conference with his lap top to demonstrate that his dongs were denied a penalty. That may or may not be the case, however it does further demonstrate the type of character this whinging tub of scouse lard is.

Best young English manager, my arse! Overrated, whining Scouse prat more like.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:09 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:I thought that O'Conner should have been man of the the match never put a head or a foot wrong.

Agreed, said exactly that on 90mins. 30 seconds later he's almost put the ball in his own net!! He did have a superb game though

Got to mention Sawyers too. Thought he was excellent today. He was allowed the room to play rather than being man marked and it showed. He always looked likely to create something. At times he was really roughed up by Lewington and Kay and for me came out on top. The lad never hides. Nobody's slated him on here tonight so he must have done something right.

I even overheard some idiot say "I hope he gets injured in the week so he can't play at Wembley. Absolute joke

UTS Legend

Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:11 pm

otiswfc wrote:

Well done on going today. I just wish there were more of you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eI5ITHSOBI0

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:17 am

Will Grigg.barclays!!
How did Chambers header not go in?

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:05 am

See above[/quote]

Our support is generally poor, Guest. A Wembley trip will make no difference to that in the short term. Some decent, sustained home form and a top 8 place just might move the crowd figures along a bit.[/quote]

Pathetic. QED. (Wembley or not)[/quote]
have you been to many home games the last few years :?:

UTS Legend

Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:24 am

windowman wrote:See above

Our support is generally poor, Guest. A Wembley trip will make no difference to that in the short term. Some decent, sustained home form and a top 8 place just might move the crowd figures along a bit.[/quote]

have you been to many home games the last few years :?:[/quote]

Actually, I get to between 7 and 9 games a season, about half of them at home. This season it will be 8 - Wembley being the last.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:28 am

Guest wrote:
windowman wrote:See above

Our support is generally poor, Guest. A Wembley trip will make no difference to that in the short term. Some decent, sustained home form and a top 8 place just might move the crowd figures along a bit.

have you been to many home games the last few years :?:[/quote]

Actually, I get to between 7 and 9 games a season, about half of them at home. This season it will be 8 - Wembley being the last.[/quote]
That's very impressive to be honest I wish some people who live in Walsall were committed as you we'd have a few more in the ground then. I thought sawyers was brilliant all the player's seemed to have that extra 10% in them today I think putting Mantom straight in the side has made the player's realise they need to put in a couple of good performances to start at Wembley.

UTS Legend

Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:51 am

I'm usually back in the UK from the end of July until late August, so I manage 4-6 games then, some of them friendlies. Then I'll do 2 or 3 more at either Chinese New Year or Easter. Mind you, I'm normally based in Clydebank, so I still have some travelling to do. Not so bad if we're playing Carlisle away, or if we have a friendly v Morton. (That was great.)

Glad to hear we performed better than of late.

sandysaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:17 am

Good performance on the whole, mantom, oconner, chambers all had good games. My man of the match was andy taylor who had his best game for a good while. Romaine can be so frustrating, he is so talented and is often the man who unlocks the opposition defence yet does get caught in posession, he is clearly a marked man though. I thought we looked most likely to win it but felt replacing jordi with forde was the wrong switch as he was causing problems. I would have replaced cook who seemed less effective and missed a great chance towards the end.
Crowd wasnt great but a lot of people have to work saturdays, i have a season ticket but can only get to around half of the home games. The missus goes instead sometimes but after the orient performance she wasnt going again yesterday.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:15 am

I also thought Purkiss had a good game, just typical the one time he allowed some space was the cross from which Mr Scunthorpe Grigg scored from.

Cook was awful again. Forde and Jordy on the wing for Wembley.

O'Connnor was outstanding as already mentioned in this thread. So was Mantom, the midfield looked like it had got its ego back. Now we have two good freekick takers :shock: (Sam & Fordey)

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:25 pm

Good to see Mantom back again. He could be the difference at Wembley.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:28 pm

A much better performance than the one witnessed against Orient.

Purkis should have closed down their player for the cross that resulted in their equaliser; he gave him far too much room. Apart from that faux pas he did ok.

I also thought O'Conner carried out his main role well apart from that almost embarrassing header back that O'Donnell had to claw out for a corner.

I'm now looking forward to the Blades match as much as I was dreading this one.

Roll on Tuesday.

P.S. I suppose I was the only Saddler who thought that Grigg's goal celebration was funny.

Sorry. :oops:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:08 pm

This is what I don't get - OConnor had another relatively solid game, and Purkiss had another 'iffy' performance, yet in a couple of weeks the consensus of opinion on here will be that Purkiss is amazing and O'Connor is useless.

Personally, although Purkiss has improved this year, I've always thought his positioning was not up to scratch, and he's rubbish going forward. And Ive seen OConnor have a fair few solid games this season, yet people don't like him - I think people don't like him because people expect too much from him, because he came from a bigger club.

I'd say OConnor is a better right back than he is a centre half, but Smiths odd squad building regarding these two positions just muddies the water of opinion.

As for the game, I'd say it was a pretty decent performance, we showed more attacking intent in 45 minutes than we did in the whole Leyton orient game. We're still dull and predictable in the final third however, even with Sawyers, Hiwula, Cook and Brashaw on the field.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:02 pm

Hey folks I have just realised Phil and Dean Smith agree............................that O'Connor is a better right back than Purkiss!!!! Anymore out there? I don't and I don't know anyone else who does! Both were excellent yesterday except for an error each. They were both in their best positions.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:57 pm

I thought we did alright yesterday. A draw was the right result, although we looked the more threatening as the game wore on.

With the playoffs out of reach, little things like getting Mantom back fit are the only positives we can really expect to take between now and the end of the season. I think a few people have exaggerated how well he played, but it was certainly great to have him back. For me, he looked well off the pace in the first half (as you'd expect), but grew into the game really well and finished it like he still had more fuel in the tank. Arguably a little harsh in Cain if it happens, but Mantom looks like he could be in pole position for a Wembley start as long as he doesn't pick up a knock on Tuesday.

He's done little to convince me he's the answer this season, but O'Connor was my man of the match - he barely put a foot wrong until he almost scored a comical own goal at the end. Andy Taylor also looked close to his best again after a spell where he's not looked very convincing.

It's still a case of needing to get to 50-52 points as quickly as possible, and I hope that once we do that, Smith might start to try a few things out ahead of next season. We still look like we lack a plan B, but then so did MK Dons yesterday and they look a pretty safe bet for a playoff place.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:19 pm

re. Attendance.

Maybe if we'd put in any kind of performance v Orient, some of the extra 1500 or so fans that were at that match might have been persuaded to come back.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:09 pm

Griggs celebration was great. Does my head in when fans go mad over former players celebrating.

Our fanbase weren't calling it disrespectful when Bradshaw scored and celebrated against Shrewsbury so whats the difference here.

Good point in the end.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:30 pm

scott_powell wrote:Griggs celebration was great.

Oooohh no. I've always defended Grigg on here, particularly given some of the cack he was given by SOME supporters.

Following that celebration, I will now give him dogs abuse in the future. He proved yesterday that he has no class and is just a jumped up Scunthorpe.

Scunthorpe

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:15 pm

WarsawPact wrote:re. Attendance.

Maybe if we'd put in any kind of performance v Orient, some of the extra 1500 or so fans that were at that match might have been persuaded to come back.

Very true those special offer day's we do and subsequent terrible performance at everyone of them goes a long way in getting people to never come back again.

otherbournemouthsaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:34 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

Oooohh no. I've always defended Grigg on here, particularly given some of the cack he was given by SOME supporters.

Following that celebration, I will now give him dogs abuse in the future. He proved yesterday that he has no class and is just a jumped up Scunthorpe.

Scunthorpe

Totally agree. I have nothing against former players celebrating, especially with team mates or with their new fans (i.e Welbeck in the cup)

Grigg has form though - rarely celebrated with our fans if i remember and didn't he have a habit of celebrating in front of empty seats?

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:03 pm

otherbournemouthsaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Scunthorpe

Totally agree. I have nothing against former players celebrating, especially with team mates or with their new fans (i.e Welbeck in the cup)

Grigg has form though - rarely celebrated with our fans if i remember and didn't he have a habit of celebrating in front of empty seats?

Agree with this. It was the manner of his celebration that pissed people off.
He'd been getting a bit of abuse from certain sections of the ground before he scored but after his goal and celebration he had almost the whole home crowd booing his every touch and laughing at him constantly straying offside.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:07 pm

otiswfc wrote:

Very true those special offer day's we do and subsequent terrible performance at everyone of them goes a long way in getting people to never come back again.

To be honest I don't think it makes all that much difference.
We have the kind of fan base that'll either turn up or they won't regardless of results.

The majority of the extra crowd that turn up for these discount days are influenced by the fact its a cheap game to attend and have a day out. Doesn't matter to them about the result, they won't get back .... well not until there's another discounted match to attend.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:23 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
otiswfc wrote:

To be honest I don't think it makes all that much difference.
We have the kind of fan base that'll either turn up or they won't regardless of results.

The majority of the extra crowd that turn up for these discount days are influenced by the fact its a cheap game to attend and have a day out. Doesn't matter to them about the result, they won't get back .... well not until there's another discounted match to attend.

IF we win on Sunday I think the club could do a special offer game we're on production of a Wembley ticket you gain entrance for £5 they could then show off the trophy on the pitch, it would only take 25% of the fans who go to Wembley to turn up and we'd have a full house.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:37 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
otherbournemouthsaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Scunthorpe

Agree with this. It was the manner of his celebration that pissed people off.
He'd been getting a bit of abuse from certain sections of the ground before he scored but after his goal and celebration he had almost the whole home crowd booing his every touch and laughing at him constantly straying offside.

I wouldn't expect Grigg not to have celebrated if he had scored yesterday. This non-celebrating of goals against your old team mates out of respect is a load of old nonsense. I blame Denis Law. Having said that, Grigg was a complete follower of Onan yesterday with his juvenile antics. My son, who is 11, said yesterday that it was a shame he did that because he used to be his favourite player. He was a quite glum about it. Any lingering respect or appreciation Grigg held at this club is now well and truly dead.

dajw_my_son
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:19 pm

Celebrate or show respect when scoring, not a problem either way, but taking the p*** is another matter. As others have said, no class.
Think he tried to make amends by applauding all sides of the ground when subbed, but the damage was done and he rightly got the bird as he walked off.

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season