Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

M K Dons (H) League One 14th March, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
windowman
UTS Legend

Re: M K Dons (H) League One 14th March, 3pm

Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:17 am

Guest wrote:I'm usually back in the UK from the end of July until late August, so I manage 4-6 games then, some of them friendlies. Then I'll do 2 or 3 more at either Chinese New Year or Easter. Mind you, I'm normally based in Clydebank, so I still have some travelling to do. Not so bad if we're playing Carlisle away, or if we have a friendly v Morton. (That was great.)

Glad to hear we performed better than of late.

well if you get to that many games over the last few seasons,you should know why we carnt pull in no more fans,had more fun watching paint dry

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:49 am

dajw_my_son wrote:Celebrate or show respect when scoring, not a problem either way, but taking the p*** is another matter. As others have said, no class.
Think he tried to make amends by applauding all sides of the ground when subbed, but the damage was done and he rightly got the bird as he walked off.

Agree with this. Not heard the expression "the bird" for a while. :D

Much better performance on Saturday: brighter, quicker paced and better all-round team play. Mantom made a difference, Chambers was much improved on his dismal performance v Orient. Jordy wasn't in the game much in the first half but got into 2nd half. I thought Cook was ok, Sawyers showed some delightful footwork and Taylor was back to his best.

Purkiss did have an "iffy" game as our reporter on mediocrity stated, but it's the only one average performance in his Walsall career that I have seen.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:02 pm

otiswfc wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:
otiswfc wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:re. Attendance.

Maybe if we'd put in any kind of performance v Orient, some of the extra 1500 or so fans that were at that match might have been persuaded to come back.

Very true those special offer day's we do and subsequent terrible performance at everyone of them goes a long way in getting people to never come back again.

To be honest I don't think it makes all that much difference.
We have the kind of fan base that'll either turn up or they won't regardless of results.

The majority of the extra crowd that turn up for these discount days are influenced by the fact its a cheap game to attend and have a day out. Doesn't matter to them about the result, they won't get back .... well not until there's another discounted match to attend.

IF we win on Sunday I think the club could do a special offer game we're on production of a Wembley ticket you gain entrance for £5 they could then show off the trophy on the pitch, it would only take 25% of the fans who go to Wembley to turn up and we'd have a full house.

Even though it's Good Friday I can't see Notts County bringing 2,500 to make up the full house!
I may be wrong but by charging £5 wouldn't we also lose more money than we'd gain from the extra attendance?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:20 pm

If William Grigg had celebrated his goal like any other, fine, whatever.

If he'd have shown restraint, fine, he may even have clawed back some respect from supporters.

To go through the charade that he did was to clearly define his dislike of the club and people who once paid him a decent wage for sticking away penalties. The only logical conclusion is that he is a complete prick.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:20 pm

Bunch of babies the lot of ya!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:23 pm

scott_powell wrote:Bunch of babies the lot of ya!

I'd turn that around and say it's because he's acting like a baby, it's got people's backs up.

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:04 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I thought we did alright yesterday. A draw was the right result, although we looked the more threatening as the game wore on.

With the playoffs out of reach, little things like getting Mantom back fit are the only positives we can really expect to take between now and the end of the season. I think a few people have exaggerated how well he played, but it was certainly great to have him back. For me, he looked well off the pace in the first half (as you'd expect), but grew into the game really well and finished it like he still had more fuel in the tank. Arguably a little harsh in Cain if it happens, but Mantom looks like he could be in pole position for a Wembley start as long as he doesn't pick up a knock on Tuesday.

He's done little to convince me he's the answer this season, but O'Connor was my man of the match - he barely put a foot wrong until he almost scored a comical own goal at the end. Andy Taylor also looked close to his best again after a spell where he's not looked very convincing.

It's still a case of needing to get to 50-52 points as quickly as possible, and I hope that once we do that, Smith might start to try a few things out ahead of next season. We still look like we lack a plan B, but then so did MK Dons yesterday and they look a pretty safe bet for a playoff place.

This.

As for Grigg, if any of our players did it against their former club, the majority of us would have enjoyed it. Claims of showing his dislike for the club? Maybe just having a sense of humour. Lighten up for crying out loud.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:17 pm

Rushall Saddler wrote:Maybe just having a sense of humour.

You're right. It was hilarious...

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:46 pm

4143 wrote:

Hmmmm. I DID claim it was hilarious. :?

It raised a few wry smiles from fans around me and I'm sure the MK Dons saw the funny side.

Not quite the Edinburgh Festival but hey ho.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:49 pm

4143 wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Bunch of babies the lot of ya!

I'd turn that around and say it's because he's acting like a baby, it's got people's backs up.

How is he acting like a baby?
If Bradshaw had done that same celebration against Shrewsbury would you have called him disrespectful and childish? I highly doubt it.

He's enjoying his footy at MK Dons and he celebrated like he has all season with them. I found it amusing

Stop crying like a little bitch

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:49 pm

Rushall Saddler wrote:
4143 wrote:

It raised a few wry smiles from fans around me and I'm sure the MK Dons saw the funny side.

Well, one bit of hyperbole deserves another. Since when did I need lightening up? :mrgreen:

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:56 pm

4143 wrote:
Rushall Saddler wrote:
4143 wrote:

Well, one bit of hyperbole deserves another. Since when did I need lightening up? :mrgreen:

About 3:35 on Saturday. :wink:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:56 pm

scott_powell wrote:If Bradshaw had done that same celebration against Shrewsbury would you have called him disrespectful and childish? I highly doubt it.

Supposition.

scott_powell wrote:He's enjoying his footy at MK Dons and he celebrated like he has all season with them.

Speculation.

scott_powell wrote:Stop crying like a little bitch

Simplification.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:16 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
otiswfc wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:
otiswfc wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:re. Attendance.

Maybe if we'd put in any kind of performance v Orient, some of the extra 1500 or so fans that were at that match might have been persuaded to come back.

Very true those special offer day's we do and subsequent terrible performance at everyone of them goes a long way in getting people to never come back again.

We have the kind of fan base that'll either turn up or they won't regardless of results.

The majority of the extra crowd that turn up for these discount days are influenced by the fact its a cheap game to attend and have a day out. Doesn't matter to them about the result, they won't get back .... well not until there's another discounted match to attend.

IF we win on Sunday I think the club could do a special offer game we're on production of a Wembley ticket you gain entrance for £5 they could then show off the trophy on the pitch, it would only take 25% of the fans who go to Wembley to turn up and we'd have a full house.

Even though it's Good Friday I can't see Notts County bringing 2,500 to make up the full house!
I may be wrong but by charging £5 wouldn't we also lose more money than we'd gain from the extra attendance?

If 25% of 30,000 came that would be 7,500 obviously we'd get our usual 4,000 anyway Notts County will bring 1500 on a bank holiday basically the away end I don't think it would be far off full to be honest it won't happen though it's probably a CAT A game and there will be 4300 at the ground.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:36 pm

otiswfc wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:
otiswfc wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:
otiswfc wrote:Very true those special offer day's we do and subsequent terrible performance at everyone of them goes a long way in getting people to never come back again.

If 25% of 30,000 came that would be 7,500 obviously we'd get our usual 4,000 anyway Notts County will bring 1500 on a bank holiday basically the away end I don't think it would be far off full to be honest it won't happen though it's probably a CAT A game and there will be 4300 at the ground.

Ah, I see, you're not counting the usual 4,000 in the people going to Wembley!
I'd rather they paid full price and tried to attend 2-3 games a season than only turn up when there's a cheap discount on anyway. :mrgreen:

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:51 pm

I don't think the club can offer ad hoc discounts. Think it all has to be cleared by the league and by the opposition.

Anyway, if we win the cup I would assume we will get a bounce in attendance for the next game as a result.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:27 pm

aaaae wrote:I don't think the club can offer ad hoc discounts. Think it all has to be cleared by the league and by the opposition.

Anyway, if we win the cup I would assume we will get a bounce in attendance for the next game as a result.

I bet you there will be no bounce in attendance at all after wembley it's back to little old Walsall at least I won't have people in the pub showing a sudden interest in our results but not enough interest to actually attend a game.
Anyway its up to the club to attract more fans all we will hear for the next 10 yrs on here is "look at our potential we took 30k to Wembley get bonser out " :lol:

UTS Legend

Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:47 am

windowman wrote:
Guest wrote:I'm usually back in the UK from the end of July until late August, so I manage 4-6 games then, some of them friendlies. Then I'll do 2 or 3 more at either Chinese New Year or Easter. Mind you, I'm normally based in Clydebank, so I still have some travelling to do. Not so bad if we're playing Carlisle away, or if we have a friendly v Morton. (That was great.)

Glad to hear we performed better than of late.

well if you get to that many games over the last few seasons,you should know why we carnt pull in no more fans,had more fun watching paint dry

All the games I've been to have been really exciting...

OK, I admit I described the second half v Vale recently as 'dismal', as was the performance v Preston. (Ancient Moaner was not wrong in his description of that game.)

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season