Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnsley (A) League One 7th March, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Re: Barnsley (A) League One 7th March, 3pm

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:03 pm

I agree Sadders apart from Bradshaw who I didn't see the attitude problems you saw, I thought he won quite a few against their monster centre halves, and worked hard in general even if things didn't come off. He dragged Barnsley's centre halves over to one side numerous times providing space on the far left for Hiwula who was unlucky in parts to not get the beating of the fullback (who was excellent for them by the way). Big problem for me was that Bradshaw wasn't receiving the ball or getting the service he needs, the only thing he could feed off was punts from O'Donnell and Downing where there was their DM was was standing on both Sawyers and his toes the entire game completely nullifying our central threat.

Purkiss, O'Connor, Taylor, Flanagan, A Chambers, Baxo all did terribly and need to have a long hard look at themselves. I would say that they need to buck up their ideas to get into the 11 for Wembley but quite a few go pretty much unchallenged in their starting positions.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:06 pm

Would generally agree with your assessments Sadders ... except Taylor did get forward a few times ... it was just it would have been better if he hadn't bothered. My friend suggested he should be fined 2 weeks wages for crossing the halfway line

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:08 pm

Sadders wrote:Make no bones about it, that was my lowest point of the Smith reign. Today was no better than the 5-1 vs Coventry at the Ricoh.

I can't even describe how bad this was. A top 3 instant worst performance ever candidate (since 2004). We didn't have a single shot on goal. We didn't force one even half chance. We didn't get into there box even ONCE. How much you can blame the players or Smith is questionable, but that was 11 gutless twerps running around a pitch chasing shadows, not tackling, not working, not closing down, keeping an eye towards more glamorous days. It was pathetic, the very worst performance I can remember in many years. When I say we didn't have possession in the Barnsley box, I'm not joking. When I say Bradshaw touched the ball 5 times and ALL of them were bad, I'm not joking.

The most worrying aspect? Our most important players were the most culpable and our most energetic player was a loan player. I'll put it down to Wembley, but Smith needs to question whether he can consistently motivate this team to perform to a similar level week in week out, because this was totally unacceptable.

Andy Taylor, a lost sheep, stuck in between the regular 8/10 weekly performance and a pub player who doesn't know how to kick a football. Adam Chambers, a slow, plodding, old, ineffective mindlessly boring crab, with no desire to affect the game positively in any way, shape or form - today just stuck another nail in his release come May. Tom Bradshaw, slow, rubbish first touch, completely uninterested - displayed the very WORST attitude of any of our players today, don't care whether he's scored 16 goals, to not even compete for headers with 30 minutes left on the clock is unprofessional and it stinks.

Reece Flanagan, weak, slow, out of his depth. Baxendale, a skinny little twig of a man who belongs on the stage, not a football pitch. Useless. The less said about Ashley Grimes, the better, just send him to the non league. Finally, let's just get round to James O'Connor - once of Championship pastures (how). The very worst 45 minute performance I have seen from a player wearing a Walsall shirt in many years. Abhorrent. Slow. Pathetic. Never a full back in the reign of football fullbacks. Why does he insist on either A) Diving in and getting skinned and B) Standing off and letting a player score or shoot? Total rubbish, fine him 2 weeks wages to save the club some money and then loan or end his contract.

I do think to myself, what could Smith have done differently? He was right to start with that XI, the one who won at Yeovil on Tuesday. But it just begs the question, why couldn't we perform to the same level? Barnsley were okay, have good players and are in good form all over the pitch - but they had 1 shot/chance in the first half and barely did a thing until the second goal, at which point we just caved in and let them run us ragged all over the pitch. Personally, I'd have played Cain over Flanagan, it wasn't the right day to stick him in against a better quality and much more experienced opposition.

The positives? Barely any. Sawyers looked interested and we actually held the ball when he had it. Hiwula, excellent again. Real good find by Smith. James Chambers and Downing were 'okay', O'Donnell did okay too - could have claimed the first goal? Mantom will play for the reserves in the week, Cook and Forde (Boy did we miss Forde today) should be back in action next week. 3 first teamers that would go straight into our best starting XI.

I do love Deano and today was more the players than him, but the excuses.. (I mean a 20mph fudge breeze and 'we cant play in these conditions) are a massive 2 fingers up too anybody that was there and paid to watch this god awful pile of dogshit.. I was pleased to see the entire 11 and Smith walk passed the away end and look completely ashamed to have put that performance in, it at least shows they care. Never seen a final whistle go before and not one single fan stop and clap the players. Smith knew that one was unacceptable and I saw O'Kelly lose the plot with our midfielders a couple of times, that gives me hope that the media stuff is just public protection of our players and that he did rip them a new one in the dressing room.

Ratings -

O'Donnell - Meh, made one good save. Looks like he should have claimed the opener. Poor goal to concede. 6

Purkiss - Poor. Didn't attack once, kept hoofing it. Not sure whether he went off injured or tactically. 5

Chambers - Average. Made some decent tackles but he has a mistake in him. 6

Downing - Best of the back 4. Headed and defended well generally, but the constant aimless hoofing must stop. 7

Taylor - Awful, absolutely awful. Lost confidence and pace. Looks tired. Constantly skinned. Didn't get forward once. 2

Baxendale - Embarassing. Hopefully his last game in a Walsall shirt. 1

Chambers - The absolute summarisation of Smith's 'central midfield'. Negative. Slow. Ineffective. Release him. 2

Flanagan - Not the right game to play him. Got bullied out of it and gave it away far too often. 4

Hiwula - Excellent again from Jordy. Worked hard, got up and down. Must wonder why he's surrounded by retards. 8

Sawyers - Played well in fairness. Still a bit sideways and backwards at times. But we only retain the ball with him. 6

Bradshaw - Terrible. Didn't win a thing. Gave up after the hour. Eyes on Wembley or annoyed at Hiwula from taking the 'number one' place from him. Very poor. Don't care if he's scored 16, today was pathetic - especially attitude wise. 1

SUBS

O'Connor - Beyond abysmal. Send him to slaughter. -5.

Cain - Hard to comment, didn't do much really. 4

Grimes - Honestly? Just rip his contract up. 2.

Can't describe how awful and deflating this was. A 4 year low. Players need a really long look at themselves or else they will lose so much confidence they will themselves in a needless relegation battle. Cook and Forde back immediately. Any player that doesn't perform to 100% between now and Wembley, doesn't play on the day.

Be happy you missed it.

Well said that man...we await all the happy clappers spouting on about 'play off place' being available
how we are 'missing important players' total bull**** we were utterly and totally embarrassing end of!
The squad should cope with missing players, all the teams in the league have to, we're no exception.
Smith has totally lost the dressing room, the lack of desire out there today was pitiful! :(

saddler79
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:13 pm

170 mile round trip, £23 to get in and to be served up with that!! One of the worst 'performances' I have seen in a long time. Not one single redeeming factor to that match at all (unless you count not losing by more). Well said sadders spot on.

I'm one fed up saddler tonight!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Looks like I'll be joining Ancient Moaner in the refund queue, dear me. :lol: :roll:

An abject display from start to finish, second to most balls and hardly created anything. Rather than just cry Smith out I'd prefer to look at some of the reasons...

1. Barnsley in brilliant form. 5 wins on the bounce which is unbelivable in a league as tight as this. It was only a month ago they were losing 5-2 at Crawley.

2. I don't think the defence has been as bad as made out this season in terms of handling strikers but George Waring gave one of the best striking performances I've seen at this level this season, he bullied Downing and Chambers all game. Just shows you how sometimes bringing in loan signings can change seasons, Barnsley were rubbish until he turned up and now he's the focal point upfront. It's something Smith needs to do a lot more.

3. Central midfield is far too lightweight, bad selection. You can get away with that away to the worst in the league in Yeovil but against a confident Barnsley, no chance. I'm afraid Baxendale is a lost cause. Flanagan tried hard but I just don't see enough quality on the ball from him to think he'll make a career at league one level. Cain should've been brought back in today.

4. No width. Forde is essential and even though he gets stick Cook is still an outlet to nick a goal or chip in a good cross. No width today so it's no good having 4 strikers on the pitch if it's all narrow and predictable, Nyatanga and Cranie gobbled up most of the high balls no problem.

5. Wembley. It has to be an issue. Who's going to burst a gut knowing if you pull a hamstring or are a fraction late in the tackle that's probably your one and only Wembley appearance in your career over. So if most of the team have that mentality then you get peformances like today.

6. Andy Taylor. Something is wrong with him, not sure what but wouldn't shock me if Rico Henry is first choice this time next year.

Stuart Atwell was awful aswell, how it took him 70 odd minutes to book a Barnsley player was ridiculous considering some of their tackles, will need to see the first goal again if it was handball. Not the reason it was 3-0 though.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sadders' report should go up on the dressing room wall until such time as they redeem themselves.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:16 pm

Blame me btw....I've been to 5 away games this season....and yet to see a win. :lol:

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:22 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:I agree Sadders apart from Bradshaw who I didn't see the attitude problems you saw, I thought he won quite a few against their monster centre halves, and worked hard in general even if things didn't come off. He dragged Barnsley's centre halves over to one side numerous times providing space on the far left for Hiwula who was unlucky in parts to not get the beating of the fullback (who was excellent for them by the way). Big problem for me was that Bradshaw wasn't receiving the ball or getting the service he needs, the only thing he could feed off was punts from O'Donnell and Downing where there was their DM was was standing on both Sawyers and his toes the entire game completely nullifying our central threat.

Purkiss, O'Connor, Taylor, Flanagan, A Chambers, Baxo all did terribly and need to have a long hard look at themselves. I would say that they need to buck up their ideas to get into the 11 for Wembley but quite a few go pretty much unchallenged in their starting positions.

I thought he started well, but got frustrated after about an hour and then seemed to lose interest running, jumping and even bothering. I mean, I get it - he's got iffy hamstrings and we had lost the game with the way everyone was playing but that's not good enough - I thought he could have carried on, like Hiwula and Sawyers did. You are correct. Taylor misses Butler I think, neither of the Chambers twins communicate vocally enough for players of their age and position in the team. We lack leaders and our team is 'reactionary'.

Reactionary in the sense that, if we create a chance or a nice move early in a game, we go forward again and do well, but if nothing goes for us, or we go a goal behind - we so rarely look like we have the confidence to come back into a game. How many times do we go 1 up in games before the opposition onslaught us and we concede? At least 10-15 times a season. How many times do we go behind and then pin the opposition in and equalise? 3 or 4 a season?

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Sadders wrote:Make no bones about it, that was my lowest point of the Smith reign. Today was no better than the 5-1 vs Coventry at the Ricoh.

I can't even describe how bad this was. A top 3 instant worst performance ever candidate (since 2004). We didn't have a single shot on goal. We didn't force one even half chance. We didn't get into there box even ONCE. How much you can blame the players or Smith is questionable, but that was 11 gutless twerps running around a pitch chasing shadows, not tackling, not working, not closing down, keeping an eye towards more glamorous days. It was pathetic, the very worst performance I can remember in many years. When I say we didn't have possession in the Barnsley box, I'm not joking. When I say Bradshaw touched the ball 5 times and ALL of them were bad, I'm not joking.

The most worrying aspect? Our most important players were the most culpable and our most energetic player was a loan player. I'll put it down to Wembley, but Smith needs to question whether he can consistently motivate this team to perform to a similar level week in week out, because this was totally unacceptable.

Andy Taylor, a lost sheep, stuck in between the regular 8/10 weekly performance and a pub player who doesn't know how to kick a football. Adam Chambers, a slow, plodding, old, ineffective mindlessly boring crab, with no desire to affect the game positively in any way, shape or form - today just stuck another nail in his release come May. Tom Bradshaw, slow, rubbish first touch, completely uninterested - displayed the very WORST attitude of any of our players today, don't care whether he's scored 16 goals, to not even compete for headers with 30 minutes left on the clock is unprofessional and it stinks.

Reece Flanagan, weak, slow, out of his depth. Baxendale, a skinny little twig of a man who belongs on the stage, not a football pitch. Useless. The less said about Ashley Grimes, the better, just send him to the non league. Finally, let's just get round to James O'Connor - once of Championship pastures (how). The very worst 45 minute performance I have seen from a player wearing a Walsall shirt in many years. Abhorrent. Slow. Pathetic. Never a full back in the reign of football fullbacks. Why does he insist on either A) Diving in and getting skinned and B) Standing off and letting a player score or shoot? Total rubbish, fine him 2 weeks wages to save the club some money and then loan or end his contract.

I do think to myself, what could Smith have done differently? He was right to start with that XI, the one who won at Yeovil on Tuesday. But it just begs the question, why couldn't we perform to the same level? Barnsley were okay, have good players and are in good form all over the pitch - but they had 1 shot/chance in the first half and barely did a thing until the second goal, at which point we just caved in and let them run us ragged all over the pitch. Personally, I'd have played Cain over Flanagan, it wasn't the right day to stick him in against a better quality and much more experienced opposition.

The positives? Barely any. Sawyers looked interested and we actually held the ball when he had it. Hiwula, excellent again. Real good find by Smith. James Chambers and Downing were 'okay', O'Donnell did okay too - could have claimed the first goal? Mantom will play for the reserves in the week, Cook and Forde (Boy did we miss Forde today) should be back in action next week. 3 first teamers that would go straight into our best starting XI.

I do love Deano and today was more the players than him, but the excuses.. (I mean a 20mph fudge breeze and 'we cant play in these conditions) are a massive 2 fingers up too anybody that was there and paid to watch this god awful pile of dogshit.. I was pleased to see the entire 11 and Smith walk passed the away end and look completely ashamed to have put that performance in, it at least shows they care. Never seen a final whistle go before and not one single fan stop and clap the players. Smith knew that one was unacceptable and I saw O'Kelly lose the plot with our midfielders a couple of times, that gives me hope that the media stuff is just public protection of our players and that he did rip them a new one in the dressing room.

Ratings -

O'Donnell - Meh, made one good save. Looks like he should have claimed the opener. Poor goal to concede. 6

Purkiss - Poor. Didn't attack once, kept hoofing it. Not sure whether he went off injured or tactically. 5

Chambers - Average. Made some decent tackles but he has a mistake in him. 6

Downing - Best of the back 4. Headed and defended well generally, but the constant aimless hoofing must stop. 7

Taylor - Awful, absolutely awful. Lost confidence and pace. Looks tired. Constantly skinned. Didn't get forward once. 2

Baxendale - Embarassing. Hopefully his last game in a Walsall shirt. 1

Chambers - The absolute summarisation of Smith's 'central midfield'. Negative. Slow. Ineffective. Release him. 2

Flanagan - Not the right game to play him. Got bullied out of it and gave it away far too often. 4

Hiwula - Excellent again from Jordy. Worked hard, got up and down. Must wonder why he's surrounded by retards. 8

Sawyers - Played well in fairness. Still a bit sideways and backwards at times. But we only retain the ball with him. 6

Bradshaw - Terrible. Didn't win a thing. Gave up after the hour. Eyes on Wembley or annoyed at Hiwula from taking the 'number one' place from him. Very poor. Don't care if he's scored 16, today was pathetic - especially attitude wise. 1

SUBS

O'Connor - Beyond abysmal. Send him to slaughter. -5.

Cain - Hard to comment, didn't do much really. 4

Grimes - Honestly? Just rip his contract up. 2.

Can't describe how awful and deflating this was. A 4 year low. Players need a really long look at themselves or else they will lose so much confidence they will themselves in a needless relegation battle. Cook and Forde back immediately. Any player that doesn't perform to 100% between now and Wembley, doesn't play on the day.

Be happy you missed it.

Well said that man...we await all the happy clappers spouting on about 'play off place' being available
how we are 'missing important players' total bull**** we were utterly and totally embarrassing end of!
The squad should cope with missing players, all the teams in the league have to, we're no exception.
Smith has totally lost the dressing room, the lack of desire out there today was pitiful! :(

I'm still firmly in the Smith camp and probably always will be - unless performances like that today start becoming the norm. To a degree Smith can only motivate the players he has within his reach, once they get on the pitch it's entirely down to them whether they put a hard tackle in, or bottle a header, or play at 110%. Our entire team today, played like a group wanting to hold down a place at Wembley but for all the wrong reasons. Smith should dangle the old 'Don't play well in the next 2 weeks, you don't go to Wembley - simple'.

You do get the feeling though that the players see Smith as one of those teachers everybody had at school...you know...you respect them and work for them because they are nice, down to earth and have a laugh, but if you aren't in the mood to work, then you won't, simply because you know they are too nice for there to be any consequences. Everybody had one of those at school. Smith proves that when he consistently fails to abuse his players in the media after games, even when we have been totally abysmal like today.

I don't think Smith has lost the dressing room though. The players always come up with a reaction when it's needed, like Tuesday after the Orient performance. It's just consistency that's the issue. Check out teams results in the run up to a big cup game or Wembley, they generally are quite poor.

SoccerHQ wrote:Looks like I'll be joining Ancient Moaner in the refund queue, dear me. :lol: :roll:

An abject display from start to finish, second to most balls and hardly created anything. Rather than just cry Smith out I'd prefer to look at some of the reasons...

1. Barnsley in brilliant form. 5 wins on the bounce which is unbelivable in a league as tight as this. It was only a month ago they were losing 5-2 at Crawley.

2. I don't think the defence has been as bad as made out this season in terms of handling strikers but George Waring gave one of the best striking performances I've seen at this level this season, he bullied Downing and Chambers all game. Just shows you how sometimes bringing in loan signings can change seasons, Barnsley were rubbish until he turned up and now he's the focal point upfront. It's something Smith needs to do a lot more.

3. Central midfield is far too lightweight, bad selection. You can get away with that away to the worst in the league in Yeovil but against a confident Barnsley, no chance. I'm afraid Baxendale is a lost cause. Flanagan tried hard but I just don't see enough quality on the ball from him to think he'll make a career at league one level. Cain should've been brought back in today.

4. No width. Forde is essential and even though he gets stick Cook is still an outlet to nick a goal or chip in a good cross. No width today so it's no good having 4 strikers on the pitch if it's all narrow and predictable, Nyatanga and Cranie gobbled up most of the high balls no problem.

5. Wembley. It has to be an issue. Who's going to burst a gut knowing if you pull a hamstring or are a fraction late in the tackle that's probably your one and only Wembley appearance in your career over. So if most of the team have that mentality then you get peformances like today.

6. Andy Taylor. Something is wrong with him, not sure what but wouldn't shock me if Rico Henry is first choice this time next year.

Stuart Atwell was awful aswell, how it took him 70 odd minutes to book a Barnsley player was ridiculous considering some of their tackles, will need to see the first goal again if it was handball. Not the reason it was 3-0 though.

Pretty much this, great summary. Wembley is a huge factor in today's performance. I've never seen such an obvious lack of effort and commitment to a game than from our lot today. If the players put the energy of O'Kelly in from the touchline, we wouldn't be looking back on one of the very worst, dismal Walsall performances I've seen in 11 years. Honestly, today ranked in the top 3 most lifeless performances in that time.

That's a lot of football!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:49 pm

That is 2 very poor performances in 3 now. We seem back in the 'comfort zone' after the win at Yeovil. Not good enough, and if DS and R'OK cannot motivate them, then you have to wonder what they are actually there for. In terms of league form, Wembley cannot come fast enough.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:25 am

BathSaddler wrote:Not good enough, and if DS and R'OK cannot motivate them, then you have to wonder what they are actually there for.

There are certain people you can't motivate on a consistent basis.
There are certain players who aren't up to it working in your system.
Chances are, you bought these players in but you have to get rid of them before you get the boot yourself.

I'd say Smith's seat is one of the safest in world football and that has something to do with it as well as the current Wembley situation.

Having said that, check some early posts in this thread.
Most of them have a smug attitude and predict a win without taking into account Barnsley away is never easy, particularly when they're in form.
Maybe we just got beaten by a better team and, as their manager said, we're punching above our weight.

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:38 am

Today was on a par with the Rochdale debacle for me, right from when we lost the ball from the kick-off we were never in the game. As others have eluded to Wembley must be an issue, the performances have steadily got worse the close we're getting to the 22nd and if we go there on the back of two bad performances and results against MK and Sheff Utd then it be a bit humiliating.

The aim for the rest of the season should be to enjoy the day at Wembley, not get sucked into a relegation battle and try to blood some of the youngsters into the team. Next season is a crucial one for Smith and it will be interesting to see how many from this squad are retained and how he recruits...

UTS Legend

Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:46 am

MPSADDLER
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:00 am

Just seen Smiths post match take on yesterdays PATHETIC display. The ref was of course to blame for the first goal (gotta get the ref in somewhere eh Deano) The other goals we conceded were due to the "PITCH" and........wait for it........"WIND"

saddla
Site Addict

Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:15 am

What a waste of an afternoon. A 220 mile round trip to watch complete and utter garbage. Barnsley were not better players than us. They wanted it more. And I can't forgive that. I sould have gone shopping with the missus.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:15 am

MPSADDLER wrote:Just seen Smiths post match take on yesterdays PATHETIC display. The ref was of course to blame for the first goal (gotta get the ref in somewhere eh Deano) The other goals we conceded were due to the "PITCH" and........wait for it........"WIND"

Just watched the 'highlights'. Not sure what his issue with the pitch is, looked okay to me. And can't see how the wind affected the second or third goals. Flimsy excuses for players who didn't put a tackle in as a player cut in far too easily from the touchline to score.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:18 am

Jolly Johnny wrote:
MPSADDLER wrote:Just seen Smiths post match take on yesterdays PATHETIC display. The ref was of course to blame for the first goal (gotta get the ref in somewhere eh Deano) The other goals we conceded were due to the "PITCH" and........wait for it........"WIND"

Just watched the 'highlights'. Not sure what his issue with the pitch is, looked okay to me. And can't see how the wind affected the second or third goals. Flimsy excuses for players who didn't put a tackle in as a player cut in far too easily from the touchline to score.

Read Smith's reaction on the official website. Yes, he points at the conditions, but acknowledges that we didn't compete and that it was a poor game.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:35 am

Yes iv read the report as well the pitch got the usual mention also the weather what does smith expect its March and we were playing a 3rd division away game in Barnsley if we lose at Wembley and he mentions the pitch again I think I will lose my mind. What worries me most though is when he said they've analysed the game and freeze framed the first goal and it was handball i don't think it's healthy for the player's to always have ready made excuses for losing all the time we lost because we played cack end of and the player's need telling this,O Donnell talking about play offs the other day just goes to show how brain washed smiths made the player's we will be relegated if we're not careful.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:03 am

He never admits we were just cack does he? Sounds like a right idiot blaming everything other than the obvious.

Turning into a really unlikeable man.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:04 am

Just watched those highlights, that's some of the worst defending I've ever seen from a professional side. No challenges, no marking, atrocious.

Wembley is definitely a factor, and for that you can't blame Smith too much, the players want to play there and will be going through the motions.

However, these types of performances are commonplace in Smiths tenure - performances where we look like a bunch of strangers happen all too often, and happened before Wembley was a factor. Smiths ability to deal with direct, tough teams is his biggest flaw.

It just goes to show once again how lucky a manager Smith is. Against Yeovil he got the rub of the green, we missed a penalty, keeper then made a mistake and we scored, Yeovil missed a sitter, then missed a penalty themselves, and ROD made some terrific saves - we scraped through with a win not because of Smith, but thanks to a large slice of luck against a very poor side - is it any wonder then that Smith moans so much when it doesn't go his way? That's the only answer he's got.

It'll be interesting to see when/if the conversation goes from "playoff push" to "relegation battle". With the attention going on the JPT final, and the fact we have a weekend off from the league, we're in real danger of being sucked in to a scrap.

Firmly in the smith out camp, he's not going to take us anywhere beyond 14th.

if that level of achievement is deemed acceptable, then is it any wonder our attendances are so low?

<Nat>

Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:08 pm

My First away trip to Barnsley,
Well... Nice Stadium, GOOD pitch, Nice day and really good Weather sunshine n all that hahaha.
Sat down in my seat getting a good sun tan expecting to see my beloved team play in perfect conditions...
yeah... no.

We Crabbed again in passing,
When we did go forwards we constantly took the inside central route (Obviously a managerial direction),
The monster centre halves picked it off with ease as it was never able to get to bradshaw.
I witnessed only one run at the wing for us to whip it in the entire game and that was at the end...
O'Donnell yet again was easily our best man saving some great shots when our defence just seemed to open up for the attackers,
First goal was a training ground manoeuvre which I predicted, read and watched, defenders were no where,
Second goal was a strikers goal and should have been stopped before he had the room to shoot,
Third goal was great shot but how no one picked up the striker in space amazed me...
Lee Johnson had our tactics from the start and destroyed them, we were easily predictable,
The amount of interceptions from Barnsley showed this and Deano's Plan B was yet again no where to be seen.

Overall deserved defeat on a lovely day, chips were good though :lol:

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:18 pm

His new phrase seems to be this one of 'playing in the opposition half' not sure it matters which Half we play in when 9 times out of 10 we go sideways or backwards.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:24 pm

He sounds more and more desperate each week and I have no idea why as as stated earlier he unfortunately has one of the safest jobs in football.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:27 pm

Barnsley on good run but I thought we might have got point prematch, just watched highlights and looked as bad if not worse than orient,4 in 15 points is def relegation form and am afraid our long awaited trip to wembley is going to drag us into end of season battle to stay up; other teams are improving we getting worse.
agree with sadders players got wembley injuries on mind and smith should threaten displays like this in next 2 games and you out of team. I know we have weak squad and no ready replacements but this sort of performances will see us hammered kick deadbeats out and play youth at wembley they might get beat but at least put a fight up.good games next 2 or out, wont happen though smith got no balls only excuses

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:01 pm

Sadsfan wrote:

His new phrase seems to be this one of 'playing in the opposition half' not sure it matters which Half we play in when 9 times out of 10 we go sideways or backwards.

And it also doesn't matter if you don't get a shot off and try to trouble the keeper.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:39 pm

Sounds like there was some aggro pre-match with some of our lot being nicked. Barnsley fans stunned by the sight of a big ruck these days. No mention from those on here who went. Disappointing if true as our record and I guess attendant police "bill" has improved lately.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:57 pm

PT wrote:Sounds like there was some aggro pre-match with some of our lot being nicked. Barnsley fans stunned by the sight of a big ruck these days. No mention from those on here who went. Disappointing if true as our record and I guess attendant police "bill" has improved lately.

Belg said he had heard similar stories, about bouts of bother in the town centre involving our more infantile following...the sort we could really do without!

otherbournemouthsaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:06 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
PT wrote:Sounds like there was some aggro pre-match with some of our lot being nicked. Barnsley fans stunned by the sight of a big ruck these days. No mention from those on here who went. Disappointing if true as our record and I guess attendant police "bill" has improved lately.

Belg said he had heard similar stories, about bouts of bother in the town centre involving our more infantile following...the sort we could really do without!

Don't think it was in the town centre. I was in there and it was very peaceful (especially in old No 7 - great boozer) and i was in a few pubs from just after 12pm until after 14:30. From speaking to a couple of sources in the ground the "bother" occurred in the nearby streets and appears to have been the Barnsley lot trying it on and getting a response.

Fair enough i say.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:16 pm

Probably makes sense, heard before this season of opposition fans trying it on and we respond. And good, no problem in defending yourselves.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:51 pm

otiswfc wrote:What worries me most though is when he said they've analysed the game and freeze framed the first goal and it was handball i don't think it's healthy for the player's to always have ready made excuses for losing all the time we lost because we played cack end of and the player's need telling this.

Spot on. It look increasingly like there is an unhealthy culture of "it's someone else's fault" running through the club. It doesn't matter what mistakes you make or how bad you play, it will all be forgiven and blamed on the ref/pitch/weather/the roundness of the ball. Pathetic.

SWS1

Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:00 pm

yoda wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote: Their keeper could quite legitimately have played outfield.

Not really as if there were an empty net we would have been shooting at it every time we went into their half.

Don't get too literal on us, Yoda. The words "tongue" and "cheek" should figure in your thinking.
:D

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season