Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnsley (A) League One 7th March, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Barnsley (A) League One 7th March, 3pm

Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:55 pm

The wilds of Yorkshire beckon again as we head to Barnsley, in the same position as Yeovil in that they have a new manager - Barnsley's Danny Wilson was sacked three weeks ago along with his assistant Chris Hutchings (who???), and Lee Johnson has moved across the Pennines from Oldham Athletic. Tuesday's 1-0 win at home to Coventry City was Barnsley's fourth straight win and has seen them move up the table to 10th place on 47 points, only two away from the play-offs. One familiar face who will probably be on view is Milan Lalkovic, who played against Coventry City but was substituted late in the game. Top scorer for Barnsley is midfielder Conor Hourihane, with 12 goals so far this season. Barnsley's current form:

10 Feb Fleetwood (H) Lost 1-2
14 Feb Crawley (A) Lost 5-1
21 Feb Crewe Alexandra (H) Won 2-0
24 Feb Scunthorpe United (A) Won 0-1
28 Feb Gillingham (A) Won 0-1
3 Mar Coventry City (H) Won 1-0

In the corresponding home fixture in mid-December we came from a goal down to win 3-1, and if we can continue to produce the kind of away form seen of late I see no reason why three points shouldn't be gained at Barnsley's expense. It's uncertain whether the groin injuries that kept Jordan Cook and Anthony Forde out of contention at Yeovil will have been overcome by Saturday but if they are still absent I would be quite happy to see Baxendale start, as he did at Yeovil (had a good game, too).

We may perhaps have to rely on Richard O'Donnell keeping up the kind of shot-stopping form he displayed on Tuesday night so brilliantly, but I'll go for another 0-1 three points, with Tom Bradshaw getting back on the scoring trail, although there's now some doubt about that - it's been revealed that he suffered a fractured eye socket in that early clash of heads at Yeovil, so Jordy may well have to step to the mark again. Hopefully Tom will be fit for Wembley....... :?

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Re: Barnsley (A) League One 7th March, 3pm

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:55 pm

not too confident about this one, despite our good away record. new manager and all that, seems to have made big impact.

Still looking forward to it and luckily Ancient Moaner has come up trumps by deciding to drive. Good job as the trains to Barnsley from Wigan take about a week with 25 changes ffs :shock: Might have made it there but getting back via a complicated route would mean I probably ended up in Scotland.

A drink, a moan, meeting mates and watching Walsall. What more could anyone want :D

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:06 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:not too confident about this one, despite our good away record. new manager and all that, seems to have made big impact.

Still looking forward to it and luckily Ancient Moaner has come up trumps by deciding to drive. Good job as the trains to Barnsley from Wigan take about a week with 25 changes ffs :shock: Might have made it there but getting back via a complicated route would mean I probably ended up in Scotland.

A drink, a moan, meeting mates and watching Walsall. What more could anyone want :D

A crate of ale, Ancient Moaner being positive again, Grimes in the side, what could possibly be wrong with THAT scenario?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:36 pm

Another ground to tick off the list.

It's interesting with Barnsley. A few weeks ago I'd have said certain away win but with Lee Johnson coming in a point would be acceptable here no question.

They've also used the loan market really well in the last few weeks. Ben Pearson from Man. United and Waring from Stoke, two young players who've significantly improved them. Hourihane in the middle is a good player aswell.

0-0.

<Nat>

Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:15 pm

My first away game for a few months so I'm very looking forward to this,
I think we can take the 3 points if we just keep to form but saying that it is Walsall.
So I'd be happy with a point and it'll be good to see Milan again,
Even though I hope he doesn't do too well so he can come back to us in the future. :wink:
Prediction: 1:3 again to Walsall :mrgreen:

paddy
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:21 pm

1-1 with Bradshaw for us & lalkovic for them

Derbyshire Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:13 pm

Barnsley only 40 minutes north of me so I have no excuse.

1-2 Hiwula and Grimes (in off the post :D )

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:15 pm

2-0 Walsall, Lalkovic OG and Bradshaw.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:59 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:2-0 Walsall, Lalkovic OG and Bradshaw.

Don't suppose he'll grab a camera to take a photo if this happens!
Looking forward to it. 2-1 to us.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:18 pm

If the reported diagnosis on Tom Bradshaw is correct, he has suffered a fractured eye-socket. So unless they sort him out with a "Phantom of the Opera" style mask I can't see him being available for Barnsley. I hope he can play, but I have my doubts......so scoring may be a problem for him (for all posts so far, for "Bradshaw" read "Hiwula", or indeed "Sawyers"). :D

Louise
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:05 pm

Looking foward to this one and visiting Oakwell.
Not overly confident as Barnsley had the sense to get rid of the previous Managerial team(including Hutchings) and are now playing well.
However we are better away from home so although my heart agrees with Nat on the 1-3 scoreline, my head tells me 1-1.
See you all there. :D

otherbournemouthsaddler
UTS Regular

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:55 pm

hullsaddler wrote:

I might get a big whoosh here, but wasn't it Ledesma who did that at Rochdale?
What a strange game that was.....

PT
Site Addict

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:04 pm

Don't usually like minute's silences/applause for folk with tenuous connections to the game/teams involved but it feels right that the Barnsley lad who died in Syria this week is remembered at the match on Saturday. Applause rather silence.

We'll lose 2-1, Milan will tweet something to try to please both sets of fans and the general consensus will be that we were unlucky.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:15 am

Think that due to Barnsley`s recent run of form and the number of chances we need to create to score once this looks like a home win to me. Will be cheering the lads on in absentium to prove me wrong.

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:55 pm

Jabo Ibhere just signed for them on loan

also Caulvier has gone to Burton on loan via sufc

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:11 pm

otherbournemouthsaddler wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:

I might get a big whoosh here, but wasn't it Ledesma who did that at Rochdale?
What a strange game that was.....

Yes it was, right in front of me. Think it was possibly last time I saw him play.

Then Andy Butler's dramatic equaliser.

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:31 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:Think that due to Barnsley`s recent run of form and the number of chances we need to create to score once this looks like a home win to me. Will be cheering the lads on in absentium to prove me wrong.

I thought they played at Oakwell. :?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:21 pm

saddla wrote:
BarnsleySaddler wrote:Think that due to Barnsley`s recent run of form and the number of chances we need to create to score once this looks like a home win to me. Will be cheering the lads on in absentium to prove me wrong.

And yow dow know that 'absentium' was latin for oakwell? yowm letting us old un's down my friend! :lol: :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:57 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
saddla wrote:

And yow dow know that 'absentium' was latin for oakwell? yowm letting us old un's down my friend! :lol: :lol:

If I can attempt to steal Pedagogue's thunder here, I always thought the correct phrase was "in absentia"....... :?

:mrgreen:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:18 pm

No idea about the result of this one, but there will be about 9,206 people there, including 250-300 of us.

SWS1

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:20 pm

I think it's "in absinthe"

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:34 pm

SWS1 wrote:I think it's "in absinthe" :mrgreen:

No - that's Welshie! :D

saddla
Site Addict

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:26 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
saddla wrote:

If I can attempt to steal Pedagogue's thunder here, I always thought the correct phrase was "in absentia"....... :?

Ar knew absentia wuz latin fer Oakwell. E's gorrit wrung. Ar day know where absentium wuz. An ahm gewin this after un ar day wanner gew ter the wrung place. :mrgreen:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:09 am

saddla wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
saddla wrote:

Ar knew absentia wuz latin fer Oakwell. E's gorrit wrung. Ar day know where absentium wuz. An ahm gewin this after un ar day wanner gew ter the wrung place. :mrgreen:

These clever bugga's with their 'third person indicative' logic! Is it not 'motion towards' boy?
Well I'm drivin today so there's no chance of us getting to the right place!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:20 am

To illustrate how competitive this Division is, we are currently in 16th place with Barnsley in 10th. Should we win today we would go above them.

I'll go for 2-0 to us 9466 including 308 Saddlers.

Sawyers and Hiwula with the goals.

This is what the Barnsley manager said ahead of today's game:

"They've got a very good manager because they've consistently punched above their weight. We have to be on our game because they have some real threats."

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:39 pm

Starting line-up against Barnsley:

O'Donnell

Chambers
Purkiss
Downing
Taylor

Chambers
Sawyers
Flanagan
Baxendale

Bradshaw
Hiwula

Substitutes: MacGillivray, O'Connor, Mantom :shock: , Cain, Preston, Bakayoko, Grimes.

Milan Lalkovic starts for Barnsley, and Jabo Ibehre warms their bench.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:54 pm

Surprisingly the bookies have us as slight favourites for this one......odds at kick-off:

Barnsley to win: 19/10

The Draw: 23/10

Walsall to win: 7/5

paddy
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:57 pm

Good to see Sam on the bench but would like to think he won't be risked & is there to give him a boost & the other lads

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:06 pm

Early goal at the Ricoh.... Coventry City 1 Port Vale 0 (which moves us up one place, as things stand!!)

Soon after... Rochdale 1 Colchester United 0

Here we go.... another game we're going to have to come from a goal down!! Barnsley 1 Walsall 0 :(

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Flanagan and Baxendale are too lightweight to play against the stronger teams. Would have started Cain ahead of Flanagan but appreciate there is little option to replace Baxendale. Perhaps should have tried Bakayoko as he has the bulk?!?

Next
Return to 2014-15 Season