Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leyton Orient (H) League One Feb 28th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Walsallone
UTS Legend

Re: Leyton Orient (H) League One Feb 28th, 3pm

Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:36 pm

An interesting debate about systems and like most of you I wish we could vary our play more but yesterday was more about players being off form. It is very unusual for 9 or 10 players to play badly! Thats what happened and it is the Manager's job to make sure it doesn't happen again. One thing I would do is get Morris back from Wrexham..at least he would give us a wing option.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:55 pm

Walsallone wrote:An interesting debate about systems and like most of you I wish we could vary our play more but yesterday was more about players being off form. It is very unusual for 9 or 10 players to play badly! Thats what happened and it is the Manager's job to make sure it doesn't happen again. One thing I would do is get Morris back from Wrexham..at least he would give us a wing option.

Why do that when we can play a centre forward there? Square pegs round holes - if you haven't got the players available then change the system, it is not rocket science. Yesterdays poor performance wasn't a first at home, Coventry, Port Vale and Scunthorpe to name a few surely 9/10 players were out of form in all of those games?

I will renew my season ticket, but if Smith is here this time next year I'm not sure I'll bother, paying £330 a year to see mainly mediocre football is not something I'm prepared to do every season.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:09 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:NOW do you all believe me about how bad we were at Preston?
And my stupid claim that we should be looking over our shoulders instead of towards the play off's?
Even the happy clappers have found it difficult to defend todays performance...........our earlier seasons good away results will come to naught if we continue this run at home.
Relegation form......... what's the betting Yeovil are rubbing their hands in glee at our forth coming visit?
I really thought Walsall F.C. were heading for better times, Wembley 'an all that, but once again we flunk the interview.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day :wink:

But where you are definitely wrong is that our away form will count for nought. It will be that which keeps us in this league.

Ah... but will it Chester? I certainly hope the earlier fabulous results away WILL keep us in this division, cus we certainly won't be winning many more! just after Cringle I did say that I had seen how paper thin/ lucky some of our results were becoming, the 'flowing' 'sexy' football had long since disappeared, and I had the audacity to suggest that it might be 'us' that were likely to be the candidates for the annual 'drop like a stone' towards the end of the season. Deano appears to be losing the plot, and the squad are no longer 'performing' for him...is it perhaps really time for a change?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:29 pm

Fack me it's less than a month since Walsall won at Donny and Rochdale within 3 days so let's not see this form has been wretched for months.

It's a disappointing couple of games....an expected defeat at PNE (look at their form like beating Oldham 4-0 yesterday...should the Oldham fans get a refund...and not just for living there AM? :mrgreen: )....a good point at Bradford where not many win and obviously the annual home defeats but I don't see why the away form should suddenly go to pot now and that on it's own should be enough to keep the team up, I don't think 10 more away points (let's say two wins and 4 draws) is that unrealistic when the team on average concedes 1 goal away per match.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:07 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Fack me it's less than a month since Walsall won at Donny and Rochdale within 3 days so let's not see this form has been wretched for months.

It's a disappointing couple of games....a not unexpected, (but should have been heavier), defeat at PNE (look at their form, like beating Oldham 4-0 yesterday...should the Oldham fans get a refund...and not just for living there AM? :mrgreen: NO! )....a lucky point at Bradford where not many win. Obviously with the regular home defeats, the away form will suddenly go to pot, and won't be enough to keep the team up, I think 4 more away points (let's say two defeats and 4 draws) is quite a realistically upsetting progression, when before now, the team on average only used to concede 1 goal away per match.

There, fixed that for you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:41 pm

If people think Smith gets away it, the biggest 'joker' in the entire team is Adam Chambers. One good spell a few years back with Pato/Brandy/Grigg and everybody thinks he's messiah. He got some well deserved criticism in his first season and he's only gone backwards ever since, he's practically untouchable. Yet - I can't think of 1 outstanding performance for 2 long years. The man is a slow, mind-numbingly dull crab.

Lovely bloke, great person, nice family - good to have around. Should he start and captain a league 1 outfit these days? Not a chance. Useless.

Smith ay going anywhere, get used to it.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:11 pm

Yes we have had home defeats before but yesterday was by far the worst. I don't agree that in those other games we were as bad. As for"Sadders" I don't agree on Adam Chambers who has generally done a good job as a defensive midfielder,but his form is declining and if Mantom was fit I would play him and Cain.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:15 pm

Sadders wrote:Smith ay going anywhere, get used to it.

Many fans have said exactly the same about many managers. Eventually, when the fans have had enough, the club will act quickly.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:15 pm

Not a case of players out of form more like not interested and worried about getting injured before wembley.They know they can play rubbish and still keep place because our squad is so weak.

Smith will not be sacked because he is bonsers ideal manager, spends no money keeps us in division and brings through kids to be sold. This season he is extra safe after reaching he is now godlike, I have always been a smith fan but even I have had enough of excuses and rubbish football played at home

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:09 pm

tinned wrote:
Sadders wrote:Smith ay going anywhere, get used to it.

Many fans have said exactly the same about many managers. Eventually, when the fans have had enough, the club will act quickly.

Well I've had enough - enough's enough.

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:53 pm

Dean Smith seems to have built his philosophy on one style and one formation to fit that style...

It's kind of surprising considering his experience in playing under so many different managers, tactics, formations....surely he couldn't have reached the conclusion that one way is superior to them all in all conditions, against all opponents and with whatever players are in the squad!

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:08 pm

sallian wrote:Dean Smith seems to have built his philosophy on one style and one formation to fit that style...

It's kind of surprising considering his experience in playing under so many different managers, tactics, formations....surely he couldn't have reached the conclusion that one way is superior to them all in all conditions, against all opponents and with whatever players are in the squad!

When I used to play Championship Manager way back in the 90's it was possible to stumble on a formation that just worked and I would win nearly every game. That is how Smith is with his formation, he had one good season with a formation and now he has to stick by it because he is either too scared to try something else or he hasn't got the tactical nous to adapt. He said in the E&S that he started with a 4-3-3 system, which may be true and the genius of it all was that he managed to disguise it as the normal system we play. Ginger Lambert.

Louise
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:46 am

Make no mistake play like that till the end of the season and we are in a relegation dogfight.
Woeful display, that made me leave eatly ( something I never do).
Playing an in form striker out of position and the team not being capable of passing foward seemed to make the game intermnible,.
PLaying crab football, no intent to tackle and no attacking prowess meant Leyton found us easy pickings.
Too many Players thinking of Wembley and I fear our Manager is too.
They need to put a solid performance in tomorrow and I shall be there cheering the lads on at Barnsley where I hope we can get much needed 3 points.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:55 am

I don't think they are thinking about Wembley, we've been like this at home since last season.

Walsall DNA = Do not attack.

Away from home though....

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:04 am

[quote="aaaae"]I don't think they are thinking about Wembley, we've been like this at home since last season.

Walsall DNA = Do not attack.

Away from home though....[/quote]

Hold that positive thought and lets see what happens tomorrow night.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:08 pm

Predictions, Predictions, Predictions

When we are up we are up
When we are down we are down
When we are only halfway up we are neither up nor down

4 points or more from the next 2 games and we are rolling again. No points and we we are in a battle, that's football folks and its what happens with the Saddlers.

I think we can pull this back again, but then again I am Optimistic.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:51 pm

that was dismal! it's unusual for taylor to play so badly, and cain has been so poor for a few games now that i reckon being a 1 man midfield finally caught up with adam.

i'm with jal on cook. that dive was a disgrace, i hate watching any player do that, but in our shirt it's even worse. baxendale gets slaughtered for performances levels above that, but somehow cook gets a pass from the crowd.

it's a poor division this season, but we ain't in a position to take advantage, especially galling with the vile's impending relegation. we ain't going down, either.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:00 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Fack me it's less than a month since Walsall won at Donny and Rochdale within 3 days so let's not see this form has been wretched for months.

It's a disappointing couple of games....a not unexpected, (but should have been heavier), defeat at PNE (look at their form, like beating Oldham 4-0 yesterday...should the Oldham fans get a refund...and not just for living there AM? :mrgreen: NO! )....a lucky point at Bradford where not many win. Obviously with the regular home defeats, the away form will suddenly go to pot, and won't be enough to keep the team up, I think 4 more away points (let's say two defeats and 4 draws) is quite a realistically upsetting progression, when before now, the team on average only used to concede 1 goal away per match.

There, fixed that for you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was expecting some wit about Oldham being a bus stop in Rochdale and they should get a bonus for living there but alas. :wink:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:44 pm

Wasn't there Saturday and boy am I glad I couldn't make it. I think we'll stay up, but we've made a pig's ear of this season and are running the risk of damaging season ticket sales - all because of this woeful home form.

The most disappointing thing for me is the lack of any willingness to even try something different at home. The old adage 'keep doing the same things and you'll get the same results' couldn't be any more apt. The irony is, Smith's got the system and the personnel to get results on the road, yet he's so loyal to that system that he keeps the faith with it, even when he's seen it fail to work time and time again.

Negative a stance as this might be, I don't think there's anyone out there who could come in and do a better job that Smith's doing. It's bleed in' frustrating though that we're now bemoaning the same things we were about our rookie manager three years ago.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:38 am

Walsallone wrote:Yes we have had home defeats before but yesterday was by far the worst.

I have to agree with that. We have seen some poor-ish performances this season but I can't recall one as totally inept as the Orient game...mind you I have missed a couple of matches. Pity it was one of the kids promotion games - can't see any of them coming back if that was the first time at Bescot.

My anger/frustration with Saturday's utter shambles has somewhat died down but even I found myself starting to nod a bit at PhiltheSaddler's comments...and that takes some doing :o His feelings about Purkiss I don't understand though - best right back we have and best crosser of the ball we have - he can and does both defend and attack.

Confidence seemed shot on Saturday - every mistake by any player seemed to affect the whole team into a downward spiral of errors and zero quality in our play. The usually reliable Andy Taylor was woeful but Adam Chambers' utter nightmare performance topped it. Sorry I don't like the players' backs but what the hell happened on Saturday?. Cain, who has shown glimpses of an emerging talented young player, went AWOL (not for the first time), O'Connor and Cook were very poor, both Chambers' twins should have been subbed and we looked clueless. Anyone who saw A Chambers try and pass the ball about 10 yards to his brother in the 80th minute and find the touchline instead may have concluded it's time to drop them both. Anyone who saw him pass the ball FORWARD, please let me know as I missed it :shock:

I would like to think it was a bad day at the office as these players can perform much better, but DS and ROK should be putting rockets up their backsides to turn this around before we slump further.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:38 am

For the benefit of those who weren't there, what was the sarcastic cheering all about?

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:53 am

WFC_Rob wrote:For the benefit of those who weren't there, what was the sarcastic cheering all about?
Might have been when Bakayoko had a shot at the very end....not sure I heard much else by way of sarcastic cheering.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:38 pm

Super Gabor wrote:Purkiss ... best crosser of the ball we have

What are you smoking?

Regardless of opinions about his ability to be a right-back, to say he's the best cross of the ball at the club is laughable.

Have you actually seen him attempt a cross? HE can barely beat the first man.

Have you forgotten about the game where he managed to put the ball out for a goal kick when trying to cross, from near the goal line, under no pressure?

I'd go as far as saying he's probably the worst crosser of a ball at the club, you have literally no idea whether it'll beat the first man, or whether it'll go out for a goal kick.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:23 pm

Super Gabor wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:For the benefit of those who weren't there, what was the sarcastic cheering all about?
Might have been when Bakayoko had a shot at the very end....not sure I heard much else by way of sarcastic cheering.

That's the bit I remember.

I was combining the ironic cheering with laughing at the oppo keeper who could've (up to that point) returned his gloves to the shop as unused :wink:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:16 pm

philthesaddler wrote:you have literally no idea whether it'll beat the first man, or whether it'll go out for a goal kick.

To be fair, that's a step up from some of them. You know with complete certainty that the next pass O'Connor plays will go to anyone but a Walsall player.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:18 pm

tinned wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:

Might have been when Bakayoko had a shot at the very end ... not sure I heard much else by way of sarcastic cheering.

That's the bit I remember.

Correct. It was when Bakayoko actually forced the Orient 'keeper to make a save - our first (and only) shot in open play (the other "attempts" were two abysmal first-half free-kicks) - in the 3rd minute of 2nd half stoppage time! I don't know about returning his gloves, but the Orient 'keeper could have set up his deck-chair for a relaxing afternoon! :evil:

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:51 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:Purkiss ... best crosser of the ball we have

What are you smoking? Nothing as strong as Soundy!

Regardless of opinions about his ability to be a right-back, to say he's the best cross of the ball at the club is laughable. Have you actually seen him attempt a cross? HE can barely beat the first man. He doesn't need to beat anyone, he whips in some excellent crosses from the right wing. I would put him in the top 5 players we have at the club.

Have you forgotten about the game where he managed to put the ball out for a goal kick when trying to cross, from near the goal line, under no pressure? Yep, don't know which match that was but take your word for it......have you actually watched him when he attacks down the right? Reckon at least 8 out of 10 of his crosses are delivered with pace and accuracy.

I'd go as far as saying he's probably the worst crosser of a ball at the club, you have literally no idea whether it'll beat the first man, or whether it'll go out for a goal kick.
Are you sure you're not making use of a time machine and confusing Purkiss with a certain Mr Mavrak?? :lol:

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season