Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leyton Orient (H) League One Feb 28th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Re: Leyton Orient (H) League One Feb 28th, 3pm

Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:56 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Today was a chance for smith to show he could do something different in an attempt to win a game.

With hiwula in form, and bradshaw back, why not go 4-4-2 with a diamond in the midldle? Play Sawyers in the hole, Cook on the left, Grimes on the right, or even James Chambers at right midfield.

He's got to try new stuff, otherwise the players just become stale - Sawyers has got the potential to be a great player, but too many games pass him by. Today, I'd have put him in the middle of the park and told him to go and run the game, win the ball and play as a complete midfielder. Playing in the hole is easy, it absolves you of the defensive responsibilities of being a midfielder. Sawyers was nowhere near the worst today, but to have a player of his ability barely getting the ball at his feet is a ridiculous waste.

Play two up top and tell the lads to get he ball in to Bradshaws feet early and get runners past him, take the game to them, and forbid and passing amongst the defence...get it forward quickly at all times, so what if we lose it (we lose it anyway under smiths current tactics), you win it back and start again. If you ain't got game changing players you've at least got to try and force an error by playing at tempo and direct. How on earth are you going to force an error passing sideways?

If you watch much of the premier league, take out the woeful sides like villa etc, and take out the big 4 who dominate possession and have stand out players, and look at how the likes of Southampton, Swansea, West Ham, Everton play - they're not all that skilful, they just play at a high tempo when they have the ball, and as soon as they lose it, they get their shape back and Harry and Harry until they get the ball back. Southampton have that Wanyama who's an excellent example of this - he just stands in the centre circle when they have the ball, then as soon as they lose it, he snaps in to action and and the whole shape of the team changes.

I have to agree with something different here Phil, I think the philosophy is dated, example Barcelona esque possession based football, it has moved on to a faster more athletic direct approach with few passes and direct wing play with the likes of bayern and Madrid exemplifying this, I really did think it would be 442 today when I heard the team line up on the radio.

Disappointed to say the least

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:00 pm

Jesus, the blokes lost the plot - those comments are right out the desperate draw.

"Crappy pitch" ?????

Wasn't it just last week that he was saying that he wouldn't blame the Bradford pitch should they lose at Bradford - a pitch which is in far, far worse condition than the Bescot pitch. A week later and he's blaming the pitch...he's becoming a comical characture of himself.

And Dean, if you knew they'd come with a plan to push up on our midfield (like Vale did, like Crewe did, like Coventry did), why was your solution to exactly the same that you do in every single game?

Idiot.

And people think he's a genius? The only time you hear rubbish like that coming out of a managers mouth is just before he gets the boot.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:01 pm

What utter garbage we got what we deserved,no ideas no passion no fight,back 4 looked as if never met each other never mind played together, caine and adam chambers non existant
Cannot win games playing crab football cannot score going sidewards and backwards in own half,orient goalie could have stayed in dressing room and still not scored
deano its not the ref or injuries its your plan A for gods sake get a plan B and stop talking about playoffs 1 point in 12 is relegation form and the bottom is getting closer

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:25 pm

That was cack.
I like possession football but it needs to be played with a high tempo. That means passes designed to pull the other team apart, endless movement by players always ready to receive the ball.

The reward for the above endeavour, a goal.

Instead, we got a side which looked like they had just got out of bed; Smith would have been better served if he had replaced half his team with those who took part in the half-time 'Hit the Bar' completion.

Truly shocking.

Needless to say I didn't renew my season tickets today as planned.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:39 pm

NOW do you all believe me about how bad we were at Preston?
And my stupid claim that we should be looking over our shoulders instead of towards the play off's?
Even the happy clappers have found it difficult to defend todays performance...........our earlier seasons good away results will come to naught if we continue this run at home.
Relegation form......... what's the betting Yeovil are rubbing their hands in glee at our forth coming visit?
I really thought Walsall F.C. were heading for better times, Wembley 'an all that, but once again we flunk the interview.

bush360
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:40 pm

Totally agree with all the comments today, we were woeful, the back four were like 4 lost souls
No midfield, we are absolutely brilliant passing back, even sideways today we struggled
Orient had got us planned out and worked our system, and as everyone comments, we cannot change it. We have no real widemen who can take on players just a load of passers who cannot control fast balls hit to feet so our play is low and laboured. We just looked poor and again you can see the players holding back as they do not want to get injured
Dean Smith, never before have I said, you are a good manager but will never be a great manager till you find a way to change games, Ledesma dd that for us. Brandy also, you need to have flair and at present sorry, lacking in that Dept

C- so far this season

I feel a relegation struggle is coming our way

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:42 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:NOW do you all believe me about how bad we were at Preston?
And my stupid claim that we should be looking over our shoulders instead of towards the play off's?
Even the happy clappers have found it difficult to defend todays performance...........our earlier seasons good away results will come to naught if we continue this run at home.
Relegation form......... what's the betting Yeovil are rubbing their hands in glee at our forth coming visit?
I really thought Walsall F.C. were heading for better times, Wembley 'an all that, but once again we flunk the interview.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day :wink:

But where you are definitely wrong is that our away form will count for nought. It will be that which keeps us in this league.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:45 pm

How can we consistently play like a play off challenging league 1 team away from home, and then go and perform like Silverdale under 9's B team at home for 2 seasons?

Doe make sense.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:50 pm

talkin bout new players is barkin up wrong tree

its about tactics and morale

when players abilities and expression is stifled by rigidly imposed systems, not tailored to previaling conditions/circumstances...then they get stagnant and lacklustred

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:09 pm

Now Smith blames the pitch and us fans? He's lost the plot good and proper.

Go now Smith before you make an even bigger prat of yourself.

You know when a manager know's he's at the end of his time when crap like this gets spouted.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:10 pm

We had one minutes silence for a player 75% of that team couldn't grace his boots and i think most of that team thought it lasted ninety minutes. we've had two seasons of this garbage and i said at halftime i can count on one hand the amount of times i've walked from there and said that was a great game, and this season i haven't got to five fingers so far.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:18 pm

clawtheolder wrote:We had one minutes silence for a player 75% of that team couldn't grace his boots and i think most of that team thought it lasted ninety minutes. we've had two seasons of this garbage and i said at halftime i can count on one hand the amount of times i've walked from there and said that was a great game, and this season i haven't got to five fingers so far.

Yes, but it is so much better than under Mersons and Hutchings!

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:24 pm

Sadsfan wrote:
clawtheolder wrote:We had one minutes silence for a player 75% of that team couldn't grace his boots and i think most of that team thought it lasted ninety minutes. we've had two seasons of this garbage and i said at halftime i can count on one hand the amount of times i've walked from there and said that was a great game, and this season i haven't got to five fingers so far.

Your opinion but is it, is mine.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:25 pm

Last season and this, at home, so far:-

Played 40, won 12, scored 39, conceded 50.

Simply not good enough, regardless of any quickly made up excuses.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:48 pm

This sets JB an interesting dilemma - will he sack Deano before Wembley?

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:55 pm

Whitters wrote:This sets JB an interesting dilemma - will he sack Deano before Wembley?

The answer is no, after maybe, he isn't that such of a barstewart.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:01 pm

He won't sack him (barring a massive demo from the fans). He's too much a yes man to dispense of quickly.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:03 pm

clawtheolder wrote:
Whitters wrote:This sets JB an interesting dilemma - will he sack Deano before Wembley?

Nor after, because we're not going to be relegated this season. JB doesn't give a flying fudge whether we go up or not, as long as the rent gets paid which morons like me will continue to ensure happens.

What pisses me off with Smith is the shite that he spouts like in the Excrete and Shite article shown earlier. The team were complete gash today and they got a very long period of grace before any dissenting voices were heard.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:04 pm

tinned wrote:He won't sack him (barring a massive demo from the fans). He's too much a yes man to dispense of quickly.

Yup. Bonser dow want a manager what rocks de boat.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:07 pm

clawtheolder wrote:
Sadsfan wrote:

I was being sarcastic

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:26 pm

Sadsfan wrote:
clawtheolder wrote:
Sadsfan wrote:

I was being sarcastic

Oops sorry you'll have to bare with me i'm an oap but you're right about Hutchings :)

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:31 pm

boringteacher wrote:
clawtheolder wrote:

Nor after, because we're not going to be relegated this season. JB doesn't give a flying fudge whether we go up or not, as long as the rent gets paid which morons like me will continue to ensure happens.

What pisses me off with Smith is the shite that he spouts like in the Excrete and Shite article shown earlier. The team were complete gash today and they got a very long period of grace before any dissenting voices were heard.

Four tough games coming up and i can't see where the next win is coming from the way we are playing, but there again we are talking about Walsall.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:50 pm

tinned wrote:Last season and this, at home, so far:-

Played 40, won 12, scored 39, conceded 50.

Simply not good enough, regardless of any quickly made up excuses.

We are shite and easy to beat at home, no doubt.

If Smith thinks the fans of any club would put up with this without moaning he's in cloud cuckoo land!

SWS1

Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:13 pm

Oh, Gawd :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:55 pm

The most depressing thing about today was that around 12-1500 extra people were in the ground to witness that garbage.
Anybody who had never been before will most certainly never go again.
Well done Dean and the team..

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:29 am

m&m wrote:The most depressing thing about today was that around 12-1500 extra people were in the ground to witness that garbage.
Anybody who had never been before will most certainly never go again.
Well done Dean and the team..

Imagine what a buzz there would be around the club if we were doing well in the league as well as Wembley. Wishful thinking eh...

UTS Legend

Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:39 am

Yet another home horror show. Glad to be back in HK.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zlbH_SqbNWY

paddy
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:01 am

2 poor goals concede, both mistakes from the (alleged) centre backs

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:30 am

Usual display, don't know what the fuss is all about. We've had plenty of seasons to get used to the dross served up yesterday.

SMITHOUT ~ PERIOD

DawleyDick

Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:02 pm

Like Leatherman I was going to renew my season ticket today. After witnessing that awful display I changed my mind.

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season