Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bradford away Sat February 21st....

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
bangsection
Site Addict

Re: Bradford away Sat February 21st....

Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:03 am

Chris Marsh with the assist!

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:25 am

We need four straight wins to be back in the play off mix, which is doable but unlikely with our mixed form.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:03 am

aaaae wrote:We need four straight wins to be back in the play off mix, which is doable but unlikely with our mixed form.

Why four straight wins? There's 15 games left!

In terms of recent form (last six games), we're 4th in the league, so it's a case of sustaining that until the end of the season and seeing where we end up.

One thing that has happened since Christmas is that Sheffield Utd appear a lot stronger, which probably means the two playoff places that were up for grabs have reduced to one.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:22 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
aaaae wrote:We need four straight wins to be back in the play off mix, which is doable but unlikely with our mixed form.

In terms of recent form (last six games), we're 4th in the league, so it's a case of sustaining that until the end of the season and seeing where we end up.

One thing that has happened since Christmas is that Sheffield Utd appear a lot stronger, which probably means the two playoff places that were up for grabs have reduced to one.

We are on 41pts with 15 games to play.
Average points needed for play offs: >75.

This means we need to achieve 34pts from the remaining matches; winning 12 out of the 15 will give us the 77pts required to give us a chance (although it may be lower this season).- not impossible but a tough call.

As much as I would like to see us in the Play-offs, I think our season will have effectively finished come 6pm on Sunday 22 March 2015.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:55 am

I think we need to concentrate on the four wins required to avoid relegation first!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:56 am

Leatherman wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

This means we need to achieve 34pts from the remaining matches; winning 12 out of the 15 will give us the 77pts required to give us a chance (although it may be lower this season).- not impossible but a tough call.

As much as I would like to see us in the Play-offs, I think our season will have effectively finished come 6pm on Sunday 22 March 2015.

That's exactly what I said aye it?

And we have to include into the 'remaining play off places' mix, Bratfort, not many in this league will do as well against 'em as we did, and remember theirs was an injury hit squad on Saturday!
What cat? was it at their end or ours?

UTS Legend

Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:53 am

Our end.

aaaae
Site Addict

Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:59 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

If we sustain recent form, where do you think we'll end up?

You can work it out, if we keep up current form (last 6) we'll end up on 68 or 69 points - which as far back as 2000 (and I cant be bothered to go back further) has never been enough to get into the play offs. It's usually 4 or 5 points too few, but some seasons it's 12 to 15 points too few!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:42 pm

aaaae wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

You can work it out, if we keep up current form (last 6) we'll end up on 68 or 69 points - which as far back as 2000 (and I cant be bothered to go back further) has never been enough to get into the play offs. It's usually 4 or 5 points too few, but some seasons it's 12 to 15 points too few!

I don't think we'll end up in the playoffs, but even if I did, I don't think winning the next four consecutive games will decide it. You've said it yourself - we need to win 12 of the last 15, which means it isn't a disaster if one of the three defeats we're allowed comes in the next four games. We could lose on Tuesday and still make it with room to spare (something I don't think will actually happen, by the way).

I suppose what I really mean is, Smith needs to carry on in the same vein to get us to the magic 50 point mark as soon as he can. Once he does that, for me he probably needs to loosen the shackles, break out of his comfort zone a little and turn would-be draws into wins. Not so much last season, but the season before, I felt we weren't quite gung-ho enough for the last half a dozen games.

aaaae
Site Addict

Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:09 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
aaaae wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

I don't think we'll end up in the playoffs, but even if I did, I don't think winning the next four consecutive games will decide it. You've said it yourself - we need to win 12 of the last 15, which means it isn't a disaster if one of the three defeats we're allowed comes in the next four games. We could lose on Tuesday and still make it with room to spare (something I don't think will actually happen, by the way).

I suppose what I really mean is, Smith needs to carry on in the same vein to get us to the magic 50 point mark as soon as he can. Once he does that, for me he probably needs to loosen the shackles, break out of his comfort zone a little and turn would-be draws into wins. Not so much last season, but the season before, I felt we weren't quite gung-ho enough for the last half a dozen games.

I didn't say it has to be the next four games, but only losing 3 of the next 15 means the same thing really doesn't it? We have to put together a run of consecutive wins, because when you are trying to overtake teams at the top they rarely drop points and when they do you have to have won your game to overtake them. Four straight wins could conceivable see us notch the 4 points we need to get into play off contention.

But anyway, We just aren't going to do it, we are far to inconsistent. Lets just win the cup, and consolidate for next year.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:29 pm

Cannot see us making playoffs far to inconsistant will relax a bit when reach the magic 50 points enjoy wembley and once safe and def no chance playoffs play youngsters to get game experiance for next season.Hope im wrong put in tremendous run of wins come back with jpt and then wembley again

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:15 pm

[quote="reedswood sadler"]Cannot see us making playoffs far to inconsistant will relax a bit when reach the magic 50 points enjoy wembley and once safe and def no chance playoffs play youngsters to get game experiance for next season.Hope im wrong put in tremendous run of wins come back with jpt and then wembley again[/quote

Do all that but lose in the playoffs and Jeff would be over the moon.

UTS Legend

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:57 pm

From The Football League Show:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TkJSOO1QTmQ

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:51 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Leatherman wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

That's exactly what I said aye it?

And we have to include into the 'remaining play off places' mix, Bratfort, not many in this league will do as well against 'em as we did, and remember theirs was an injury hit squad on Saturday!
What cat? was it at their end or ours?

Have a guess how many home games they've won this season....you'll be surprised.

No chance given how close it is from 6th-15th you'll need 75 points to make the play offs, more like high 60s given how everyone is taking points off each other.

aaaae
Site Addict

Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:00 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Have a guess how many home games they've won this season....you'll be surprised.

No chance given how close it is from 6th-15th you'll need 75 points to make the play offs, more like high 60s given how everyone is taking points off each other.

If Bradford, in 6th at the moment, only win half their remaining 16 games and lose all 8 others they will still end up with 69 points. It's going to be 70 something points for a play off spot.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:43 pm

aaaae wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Have a guess how many home games they've won this season....you'll be surprised.

If Bradford, in 6th at the moment, only win half their remaining 16 games and lose all 8 others they will still end up with 69 points. It's going to be 70 something points for a play off spot.

I'd certainly make Bradford favourites for the 6th spot but let's not forget they're still in the FA cup so already have one league game to rearranged and potentially another one if they beat Reading so that's a lot to cram in between now and the end of the season.

They have only won 5 home games btw, same as Walsall so with their pitch it dosen't suggest they're going to go on a massive winning run at home.

I reckon 68-70 points will be enough for 6th this season. Will still be a big ask.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:54 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
aaaae wrote:

I'd certainly make Bradford favourites for the 6th spot but let's not forget they're still in the FA cup so already have one league game to rearranged and potentially another one if they beat Reading so that's a lot to cram in between now and the end of the season.

They have only won 5 home games btw, same as Walsall so with their pitch it dosen't suggest they're going to go on a massive winning run at home.

I reckon 68-70 points will be enough for 6th this season. Will still be a big ask.

Indeed it will, as we couldn't beat Shelfield Girls school under 14's at home at the moment!! :? :?

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season