Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bradford away Sat February 21st....

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Bradford away Sat February 21st....

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:42 pm

So onwards to the people's republic of Yorkshire for a side who took hold of this complicated theory of actually winning cup matches before someone had a brainwave at the Bescot.

Bradford one game away from Wembley for the third time in two seasons and good luck to them.

We've been here before...visited Sheffield United three days after they took out Southampton 1 nil and claimed a decent 1-1 so wouldn't shock me if the same happens here.

Tough game though as Bradford are currently in excellent form in the league and indeed are 2-0 up at Orient as we speak. Stead and Hanson will be a handful.

Interestingly they've only won 5 at home all season, same as Walsall so another who do better away.

Be good if the likes of Forde and Bradshaw can get back for this one as the attack looks a bit predictable without them.

1-1.

PT
Site Addict

Re: Bradford away Sat February 21st....

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:21 pm

Looking forward to this. Circumstances have always contrived against me getting across to Bradford, but not this year so a rare new ground which is nice.

We'll draw 1-1 in front of 13,500 including a Walsall following that will be 1.5% of our Wembley support.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:32 pm

Wanted to go last year but it was midweek which is near impossible.

Going this year, it's a wierd ground by the looks of it on TV, three excellent stands and the away fans get the garden shed behind the goal. :mrgreen:

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:00 am

Hanson and Andrew Davies subbed at half time in Bradford's game tonight due to tight hamstrings. If those two miss Saturday's game, it will improve our chances a great deal.

I fancy a scrappy 0-0.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:12 am

Stead didn't play either.

In fairness last two games these two have played Bradford have barely had a shot on target have they? Certainly I remember the away game last season they were awful and I'd assume the 0-0 at the start of the season they didn't threaten much.

We've had it before how MK franchise were going to score a hatful, Sheffield were going to score plenty etc and these teams have about two shots on target the whole game.

Although of course they're in better form than either of those two games.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:18 pm

I'm not sure it'll be a game for the purists, this one. They'll be knackered and we'll probably struggle to get to grips with the pitch. I'd certainly take a drab 0-0 though.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:10 pm

0-0 or 1-0 either way if we win it will be a great professional performance and will justify playing one up front and passing the ball about at the back putting the opposition under no pressure for long periods of the game if we lose it will be the referees fault or the state of the pitch.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:17 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Wanted to go last year but it was midweek which is near impossible.

Going this year, it's a wierd ground by the looks of it on TV, three excellent stands and the away fans get the garden shed behind the goal. :mrgreen:

Which also happens to be the best for atmosphere. We've been in a block in one of the bigger stands before. Coldest game, ever.

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:24 pm

Another tough game in prospect. Good to see that Bradshaw, Chambers and Forde are fit again.

I would start with hula hula :lol: up front and bring on TB later on in the 2nd half depending on the situation of the game.
The Bradford pitch looks in a state so a more direct approach would be ideal rather than the passing game that were accustomed too.
I have also noticed this lately that we've been lumping the ball up much more at home games too so we have been practising to say the least.

going for a 2-2

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:32 pm

mosaddler wrote:Another tough game in prospect. Good to see that Bradshaw, Chambers and Forde are fit again.

I would start with hula hula :lol: up front and bring on TB later on in the 2nd half depending on the situation of the game.
The Bradford pitch looks in a state so a more direct approach would be ideal rather than the passing game that were accustomed too.
I have also noticed this lately that we've been lumping the ball up much more at home games too so we have been practising to say the least.

going for a 2-2

some good news for us...

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/s ... y_s_plans/

will go for a 3-2 away win

:shock:

saddla
Site Addict

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:00 pm

mosaddler wrote:Another tough game in prospect. Good to see that Bradshaw, Chambers and Forde are fit again.

going for a 2-2

I think I'd play it the other way round. Super Tom on from the start and bring on Hiwula after about 70 mins when the heavy pitch has tired their legs and he can run 'em ragged chasing balls hit over the top for him to run on to.

1-3 to the super saddlers

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:07 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:We've been in a block in one of the bigger stands before. Coldest game, ever.

Not 'arf! I was at that game, sitting next to the much-missed jolisaddler, and we were freezing our nuts off! :evil:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:58 pm

Hanson being out is great news. I'm not saying we'll get a result for that reason alone, but we always struggle against him.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:57 am

A point will still be handy, even against a depleted Bradford side. However, with our away record - and their mediocre home record - I can't see any reason why we can't win it!

So, 1-0 us in front of 13,000 or so, including 285 Saddlers.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:02 pm

The Bradford pitch will exacerbate any niggles our players might have so I do worry for fragile young Tom.

That being said I like the idea of Bradshaw starting and Jordy finishing the game. Everyone was saying that at Doncaster Grimes ran their defence ragged so hopefully Tom can do the same and Jordy can come on fresh, ready for the kill.

0 - 2 (Bradshaw, Jordy)

UTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:07 pm

1-1 will do

Around 300 Walsall

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:35 pm

Think that 1-1 might be a tad optimistic, Bradford are on a roll and a half, and even with their depleted team, they might be a bit too strong for us to rely on the fact that we are better away from home. The pitch is terrible, so won't suit our style of play. Will be very cold, 3-5 degrees is forecast, and we all know how Sawyers loves to play 'in the cold' :?
Thankfully gurrole Belgian is giving me a lift across the Pennines, the guy is a star! I don't expect more than about 250'ish to make the trip. Here's hoping for a good result, but I just think our bubble might burst tomorrow. :(
Come on me babbies!!! prove me wrong......

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:44 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Think that 1-1 might be a tad optimistic, Bradford are on a roll and a half, and even with their depleted team, they might be a bit too strong for us to rely on the fact that we are better away from home. The pitch is terrible, so won't suit our style of play. Will be very cold, 3-5 degrees is forecast, and we all know how Sawyers loves to play 'in the cold' :?
Thankfully gurrole Belgian is giving me a lift across the Pennines, the guy is a star! I don't expect more than about 250'ish to make the trip. Here's hoping for a good result, but I just think our bubble might burst tomorrow. :(
Come on me babbies!!! prove me wrong......

I agree Ancient. Dow fancy us at all. 2-0 to them

Make sure you take your hat and gloves, plus some earmuffs ( for the music in Belg's car) :mrgreen:

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:30 am

PT wrote:We'll draw 1-1 in front of 13,500 including a Walsall following that will be 1.5% of our Wembley support.

Wow! Didn't look at it like that.

What on earth can be done to make these people regular fans?
Leave a free season ticket on each seat at Wembley?
I wonder if doing that would result if full houses at the Banks's for a while?
And would sales of drinks and food make it a worthwhile exercise?
Get off your bot bots marketing people and work on this.

UTS Legend

Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:37 am

I'll be there, though I'm not deemed fit to apply for a Wembley ticket yet.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:11 am

Whitters wrote:
PT wrote:We'll draw 1-1 in front of 13,500 including a Walsall following that will be 1.5% of our Wembley support.

Wow! Didn't look at it like that.

What on earth can be done to make these people regular fans?
Leave a free season ticket on each seat at Wembley?
I wonder if doing that would result if full houses at the Banks's for a while?
And would sales of drinks and food make it a worthwhile exercise?
Get off your bot bots marketing people and work on this.

Think 1.5% might be over the top!

Whilst Wembley does provide a great marketing opportunity, I don't think there's any reason for regulars to get all antsy with the 20,000 irregulars. I look at it like a wedding. It's a celebration and Walsall fans have invited family and friends to share in their special day.

Guest - keep yours stub from today and hey presto, you now qualify.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:58 am

Guest wrote:I'll be there, though I'm not deemed fit to apply for a Wembley ticket yet.

Ain't it so. :lol:

saddla
Site Addict

Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:53 pm

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:38 pm

While we wait for the teams to be announced, the bookies have us as the outsiders today...

Bradford City to win....... 7/5

The Draw..................... 2/1

Walsall to win............... 11/5

:D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:43 pm

Starting line-up against Bradford City:

O'Donnell

Purkiss
O'Connor
Downing
Taylor

Cook
Chambers
Sawyers
Cain

Forde
Hiwula

Substitutes: MacGillivray, Baxendale, Chambers, Flanagan, Grimes, Henry, Murphy.

Too soon for Tom Bradshaw :(

For Bradford City, Stead is fit and starts, but there's no sign of Davies or Hanson.

ws9swift

Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:52 pm

bradford 1 - 2 walsall

stead first half.

taylor and hiwula second half.

279 saddlers support

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:01 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Too soon for Tom Bradshaw :(

Probably taken account of the heavy pitch

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:06 pm

Early activity elsewhere (2 mins).... Colchester 1 Bristol City 0 :shock:

Leyton orient 1 Oldham Athletic 0 is another early score

...as is MK Dons 1 Peterborough 0

Further away, Reuben Reid seems to have found his natural level - he got a hat-trick today scoring all Plymouth's goals in a 1-3 win in their local derby at Exeter City.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:10 pm

Goals (and surprises) abound..... Swindon Town 0 Crawley 1

Port Vale 2 Doncaster Rovers 0

Fleetwood 0 Notts County 1

Colchester 3 Bristol City 0 now..... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yeovil 1 Gillingham 0

As things stand we're 11th in the table thanks to some of these other matches - there are currently 6 clubs all on 41 points, and we're top of that little pile...

Sheffield United 0 Coventry City 1 (Blades down to 10 men, Jose Baxter red carded)

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:06 pm

0-0 HT if anyone is interested :wink:

Listening on Sadsworld, it has been a pretty even first half.

With other results as they are, it would be great to pinch the three points - come on me babbays.

Next
Return to 2014-15 Season