Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Port Vale (H) League One Feb 14th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
deldras
UTS Regular

Re: Port Vale (H) League One Feb 14th, 3pm

Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:53 pm

Given a lot of refs retire at 45-47 range he must be close to that now surely. Terrible ref.

The retirement age used to be 48 until a tribunal ruled it was age discrimination

Andy D'Urso is 51

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:56 pm

Frustrating.

Vale are horrible in every sense and the ref let them get away with murder. Andy D'urso. Kicked off the Premier League panel about six years ago. Having been crap at the top level not sure why he's allowed to carry on being crap lower down.

But, Dean shouldn't just concentrate on the ref. Once again "first goal wins". We just don't have the variety of play to open up a stubborn defence and can only make like for like subs that try to execute a plan that hadn't worked in the first place.

I'd pay Bax up and let him go. Stolen a living for the last three years and hasn't earned being a part of a Wembley squad. If Morris is behind him in the pecking order then he should go too.

Bradshaw, Forde and Mantom are all quality players that any team at our level would miss. Hope two of them are back for next week's tricky trip to Bradford.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:57 pm

deldras wrote:
Given a lot of refs retire at 45-47 range he must be close to that now surely. Terrible ref.

The retirement age used to be 48 until a tribunal ruled it was age discrimination

Andy D'Urso is 51

Never mind his IQ, how old is he?

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:58 pm

can't rely on refs, linesmen nor blame them........ need to create more chances, take more shots, change shape on the pitch and most importantly change the attitude and effort....and all those other things wont be an obstacle

If in 90+mins of football we are blaming a loss on one or two decisions against us...then we really are scraping the barrel for success and clutching at straws to divert from our shortcomings......it's delusional

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:00 pm

sallian wrote:poor result....could've been 6th

but i think that's the play-offs gone

shows lack of ambition, drive and determination....and perhaps lacking in quality of management

could end up being a 0-5 humiliation at the egg cup final......revenge for '88 play-offs

I thought you had died :(

Will we be seeing you at Wembley?

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:02 pm

sallian wrote:can't rely on refs, linesmen nor blame them........ need to create more chances, take more shots, change shape on the pitch and most importantly change the attitude and effort....and all those other things wont be an obstacle

If in 90+mins of football we are blaming a loss on one or two decisions against us...then we really are scraping the barrel for success and clutching at straws to divert from our shortcomings......it's delusional

try being there

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:02 pm

Not our best display but some of our football in the first half was very good. The moves which led to the penalty that wasn't and when Sawyers hit the post were of the highest quality.We should have been ahead at half time but in the second half our lack of forward power without Bradshaw and Forde was clear. The loanee was not in the game and missed our only clear opportunity. The lad has obviously found 2games in 5days too much. As others have said our bench was full of promising youngsters but it wasn't their day today. One or two promising touches from Murphy though and on another day he might have snatched an equaliser.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:03 pm

sallian wrote:can't rely on refs, linesmen nor blame them........ need to create more chances, take more shots, change shape on the pitch and most importantly change the attitude and effort....and all those other things wont be an obstacle

It's Walsall.

You are delusional.

If I see you at Wembley in your tee shirt I'll buy you a pint. You need something.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:11 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Mediocre
miːdɪˈəʊkə

adjective
of only average quality; not very good

P30 W10 D10 L10 F32 A32

Dean "mediocre" Smith.

If I meet you at Wembley Phil, I'll buy you half a pint but put it in a pint glass.

You can then tell me how you feel about it.

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:13 pm

Can't believe what I've seen today down they're, officials should not be allowed to take a game of under 5's pathetic from start to finish, innis should have had a straight red, hiwula just about to strike the ball and gets pulled to the floor. Andy Taylor the picture says it all was assaulted, ref similar to Tuesday allowed us to be man handled, and let vale foul is out our stride and any rythem.

Robert page after game comments are laughable to say the least, Walsall have an Airial weakness and we look to expose it, no crap seeing as though we only have 3 players over 6ft and one of those being a GK.

But that lot wouldn't know how to play football if there life depended on it, wasn't interested getting past the half way line till the second half.

Utterly annoyed at this today, we would have gone on to win the game if and rightly the penalty was given, to many times this has happened, football league need to assess/ review and start getting better at giving the fans better quality for the money we pay every week to see a fair game.

Baxendale, useless even though he isn't a winger, he didn't gamble on the balls going to the back post, didn't compete, didn't get a cross in, didn't pass forward, inept, and dean should hang his head for picking him ahead of Henry, garbage.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:14 pm

boringteacher wrote:

try being there

I don't know how to interact in public, I might do something inappropriate

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:16 pm

Big Dave wfc wrote:Can't believe what I've seen today down they're, officials should not be allowed to take a game of under 5's pathetic from start to finish, innis should have had a straight red, hiwula just about to strike the ball and gets pulled to the floor. Andy Taylor the picture says it all was assaulted, ref similar to Tuesday allowed us to be man handled, and let vale foul is out our stride and any rythem.

Robert page after game comments are laughable to say the least, Walsall have an Airial weakness and we look to expose it, no crap seeing as though we only have 3 players over 6ft and one of those being a GK.

But that lot wouldn't know how to play football if there life depended on it, wasn't interested getting past the half way line till the second half.

Utterly annoyed at this today, we would have gone on to win the game if and rightly the penalty was given, to many times this has happened, football league need to assess/ review and start getting better at giving the fans better quality for the money we pay every week to see a fair game.

Baxendale, useless even though he isn't a winger, he didn't gamble on the balls going to the back post, didn't compete, didn't get a cross in, didn't pass forward, inept, and dean should hang his head for picking him ahead of Henry, garbage.

Baxendale is one of our only hopes on the pitch....but Dean Smith put him in handcuffs and shackles so ignorant people can then attack him on web forums........... He has the keys to unlock defences......but put him right position!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:18 pm

I am going to give Salian the benefit of the doubt and believe he lost internet access for 2 weeks.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:20 pm

Leatherman wrote:

It's Walsall.

You are delusional.

If I see you at Wembley in your tee shirt I'll buy you a pint. You need something.

Thanks, make it a pint of milk though, I don't drink ;).... even though the urge to escape reality regularly beckons

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:25 pm

sallian wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

It's Walsall.

You are delusional.

Thanks, make it a pint of milk though, I don't drink ;).... even though the urge to escape reality regularly beckons

Shocked!

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:30 pm

sallian wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

It's Walsall.

You are delusional.

I think that most of those who read this board believe you achieved that ages ago.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:33 pm

Agreed that we need to take more shots, not many can argue the case. Likewise changing the shape on the pitch, although we don't really have the personnel to do so,every change is like for like. One thing you can't do though, is question the attitude and effort of the players. They all gave their all today, none of them hid. Most of the lads were visibly gutted at the final whistle, heads slumped, hands on hips staring at the ground. How can you question players attitude and effort if you don't see it first hand?

Anyway, the game itself is a clear indicator as to why we're a mid table side. We just can't figure out a way to beat a side full of bruisers at home. We don't have a mean streak in us. Nobody will leave a bit of a foot in or rough the opposition up like we do.

Until we figure out a way to beat teams determined bully us, nick a goal and sit behind the ball, we'll never make that step up to genuine promotion contenders

I thought Sawyers had his best game in a good few weeks, some really clever passes, but even he couldn't find a way through. One thing I like about Romaine is that he never hides, even when things aren't going well for him, he always looks for the ball. O'Connor had a good game too, thought he handled Pope pretty well and looks far more at home at CB

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:37 pm

Leatherman wrote:
sallian wrote:poor result....could've been 6th

but i think that's the play-offs gone

shows lack of ambition, drive and determination....and perhaps lacking in quality of management

could end up being a 0-5 humiliation at the egg cup final......revenge for '88 play-offs

I thought you had died :(

Will we be seeing you at Wembley?

well even if not dead, waiting for death....I often sleep with a stone in my hand to remind me of that fact....

I would expect to be there God Willing.....

I want to play in the final!

I listed more than 70 different identities that I have......one of these tribes is of course a Walsall supporter, and all of you on this forum are in that tribe....we are joined by blood, residence, history, culture, sport, emotions, motives and desires

I wonder if I could call on my tribe for support when being attacked by another tribe

Or if the tribe would disown me if I married out of the tribe or something like that
Last edited by sallian on Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:42 pm

saddler_nic wrote:

Agreed that we need to take more shots, not many can argue the case. Likewise changing the shape on the pitch, although we don't really have the personnel to do so,every change is like for like. One thing you can't do though, is question the attitude and effort of the players. They all gave their all today, none of them hid. Most of the lads were visibly gutted at the final whistle, heads slumped, hands on hips staring at the ground. How can you question players attitude and effort if you don't see it first hand?

Anyway, the game itself is a clear indicator as to why we're a mid table side. We just can't figure out a way to beat a side full of bruisers at home. We don't have a mean streak in us. Nobody will leave a bit of a foot in or rough the opposition up like we do.

Until we figure out a way to beat teams determined bully us, nick a goal and sit behind the ball, we'll never make that step up to genuine promotion contenders

I thought Sawyers had his best game in a good few weeks, some really clever passes, but even he couldn't find a way through. One thing I like about Romaine is that he never hides, even when things aren't going well for him, he always looks for the ball. O'Connor had a good game too, thought he handled Pope pretty well and looks far more at home at CB

Yes I didn't mean their general effort, I guess I meant it more in a specific sense of focused effort on some particular tasks that are lacking. I think they are a good bunch overall......I would never put them down during a match, only encourage. I don't question Dean Smith's effort either....but he needs to gain a wider creative perspective on things.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:46 pm

IHTC. wrote:I am going to give Salian the benefit of the doubt and believe he lost internet access for 2 weeks.

Well I did have an unwanted intervention, put it that way. But I am used to it now

I was present though, reading the board here and there....I sometimes choose silence, but I don't choose it enough.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:48 pm

A 1-0 win today would have put us 6th.

Just saying !

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:58 pm

PINNACLE wrote:A 1-0 win today would have put us 6th.

Just saying !

What about a 2-0 win?

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:08 pm

IHTC. wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:A 1-0 win today would have put us 6th.

Just saying !

What about a 2-0 win?

Still would have been 6th !
If we had scored from the kick off after every goal (lets say 2 goals a minute) it would have been 180 - 0
and
we would still have been 6th :)

But as i say................................ 1-0 would have been fine !
I work in a factory 40 hours a week and i can see this so why can't the manager of my favourite football team see it also ?
Last edited by PINNACLE on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:12 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:Port Vale boss Rob Page told BBC Radio Stoke:

"Dean Smith's got a style of play that he doesn't really tweak too much, so we know exactly what we're going to come up against.

"Their home form is not as good as their away form but they've got a threat up front".

Too predictable?

Got it in one

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:13 pm

sallian wrote:
Big Dave wfc wrote:Can't believe what I've seen today down they're, officials should not be allowed to take a game of under 5's pathetic from start to finish, innis should have had a straight red, hiwula just about to strike the ball and gets pulled to the floor. Andy Taylor the picture says it all was assaulted, ref similar to Tuesday allowed us to be man handled, and let vale foul is out our stride and any rythem.

Baxendale is one of our only hopes on the pitch....but Dean Smith put him in handcuffs and shackles so ignorant people can then attack him on web forums........... He has the keys to unlock defences......but put him right position!

Baxendale is built like a bookies pen, I want our players to perform well for us, I agree he isn't a winger, I don't believe he is a league one footballer, he was garbage today he didn't nothing when he came on against Rochdale to warrant a place ahead of Henry.
If that's ignorant go snag your next door neighbours red setter. He didn't compete end of.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:18 pm

Mazza01 wrote:We have a young inexperienced and unproven loanee playing up front on his own!! Lets be realistic with our expectations.

Why?

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:20 pm

Big Dave wfc wrote:
sallian wrote:

Baxendale is built like a bookies pen, I want our players to perform well for us, I agree he isn't a winger, I don't believe he is a league one footballer, he was garbage today he didn't nothing when he came on against Rochdale to warrant a place ahead of Henry.
If that's ignorant go snag your next door neighbours red setter. He didn't compete end of.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:23 pm

sallian wrote:
Big Dave wfc wrote:
sallian wrote:

He doesn't have to be big, his nimble frame is part of what makes him effective in many situations...with Sawyers always being preferred over him he has pitch rust....I not only think he can be very effective at this level...I think he can be good a division above too....but needs confidence from manager...and a more positive formation

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:30 pm

sallian wrote:
sallian wrote:
Big Dave wfc wrote:
sallian wrote:

He doesn't have to be big, his nimble frame is part of what makes him effective in many situations...with Sawyers always being preferred over him he has pitch rust....I not only think he can be very effective at this level...I think he can be good a division above too....but needs confidence from manager...and a more positive formation

You need a new stone. Dream on.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:35 pm

Big Dave wfc wrote:
sallian wrote:

What have you got against Setters?

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season