Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rochdale (H) League One 10 Feb, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Rochdale (H) League One 10 Feb, 7.45pm

Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:38 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:One thing I didn't mention was the absolute rage some of our fans show when we try to keep the ball. One bloke sat behind me nearly exploded when we played a free kick short with 10 minutes left rather than lump it into the box.

To be fair and though that tends to be the free kick routine for all our free kicks in the middle of the field regardless of it being the last 10 mins or any other time in the game.

I take your point, but lumping the ball straight into their goalie's hands when you're trying to hold onto a one goal lead probably isn't the best idea - and certainly isn't worth having a coronary over.

UTS Legend

Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:53 pm

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:34 pm

Wragbyred wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:There were 4 lower crowds in our league tonight, including the 3,451 at Boundary Park to see 6th placed Oldham beat second placed Swindon 2-1.

On the day that the Premier League announce a £5 billion TV contract, that attendance should send shudders through the lower leagues

Indeed, though I've got no sympathy for Oldham in particular - they voted in favour of the Italian Hairdressers Falling-Over League, after all!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:26 pm

Cheers Guest

Cracking ball by Sawyers for the second

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:33 pm

Yeah been a critic of Romaine in recent weeks but brilliant ball for Forde's goal. Purkiss rampaging forward for the third, love it. :D

Anyone else struggle to spot the keeper for the first goal, his kit was near identical to what the outfield Rochdale players had on so I didn't think they had anyone in goal to defend the corner. :lol:

SWS1

Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:02 pm

Phew! What a game - and that's just the goals. :D
Big "Thanks" to Guesty for the highlights: it's manna from heaven for us types who are too far away to get to matches very often (will be at Wembley, though :D )
And thanks, too, to those who occasionally include a link to the opposition threads on the games. Seeing what the opposition say about you can be very illuminating and, aside from the odd trog, they mostly tell the truth as they see it. Of course, you do get a few who always throw bile and invective at whoever they are playing in a biased diatribe but with most it's an education "Tae see oorsel's as ithers see us" (Rabbie Burns) :D

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:54 am

Have we won two league games in a row now? If we win next, match will it be the first time 3 wins under Dean Smith in the league?

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:32 am

swillw wrote:
portlandbill wrote:Well done to the lads. More than I can say for the people of Walsall. The attendance was pathetic!!!!

A priest once said to me during confessions that you should go to church every Sunday to believe and worship God.

Going back perhaps 25yrs now...I confessed to the priest in the confessional booth.... "I've been swearing at football matches...." (Walsall matches obviously) and he laughed and told me not to worry about it....I guess he had an idea how bad the football was

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:15 am

sallian wrote:Have we won two league games in a row now? If we win next, match will it be the first time 3 wins under Dean Smith in the league?

No, we won 4 on the bounce in January 2013

IHTC.
Site Addict

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:36 am

Louise wrote:The attendance was dire, yes it was a midweek game but if we cant up the crowds in the wake of Wembley and another great away win when can we.
Still I had my usual row to myself so legs were v comfortable,unlike a fortnight ago. :wink:
Yes I appreciate times are tough - for Women and Men. Just to counterbalance the previous stance, 'Im a Woman who solely pays my own mortgage ,all the bills and supports two kids in higher education.You just have to priortise Football first then worry about the other bills. :wink:
The game was the proverbial cliche of two halves - we were all in wonderland when it went to 3-0 but as I said we could lose 3-4, at one point in the second half I could see this joke actually happening.
We won , 3 points and a playoff push is a possibility so bring on Port Fail.

You sound like a 'keeper' :wink:

sallian
Glitterati

Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:16 am

Wragbyred wrote:
sallian wrote:Have we won two league games in a row now? If we win next, match will it be the first time 3 wins under Dean Smith in the league?

No, we won 4 on the bounce in January 2013

Thanks for that, I had no recollection of it....just looked it up....4 wins in a row were a recovery from 13 consecutive league games without a win....and we should've finished in the playoffs but we ended the season with only one win in the last 8 games....the disappointing season finale I do remember

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:55 am

No, VERY disappointing!!, remember going to Doncaster and playing the eventual champions off the park.
We had a front four who were on fire at the time, we just couldnt keep it going

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season