Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Doncaster Rovers (A) League One 7th Feb, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Doncaster Rovers (A) League One 7th Feb, 3pm

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:31 pm

Don't forget to get your passports stamped for entry to the Republic of Yorkshire, as we head off to Doncaster and their 15,231 capacity Keepmoat Stadium, built in 2007 at a cost of £20 million. Doncaster are currently 12th in the table, 2 points ahead of ourselves and with a broadly similar record (goal difference -3 against our -2). Unlike ourselves however, they don't have an out-and-out leading scorer - there are 3 players who have scored 6 goals apiece, Coppinger, Main, and Tyson. James Coppinger may well be unavailable for Saturday having sustained possible ankle ligament damage against Chesterfield last weekend. One player familiar to us WILL be available and that's Andy Butler, whose loan from Sheffield United was converted to a permanent contract in the transfer window just finished. Also in the window veteran goalkeeper Stephen Bywater arrived on a 6-month deal. Current form:

3 Jan Bristol City (H) Drew 1-1 (F.A. Cup 3rd round)
10 Jan Oldham Athletic (a) Drew 2-2
13 Jan Bristol City (a) Lost 2-0 (F.A. Cup 3rd round replay)
17 Jan Barnsley (h) Won 1-0
20 Jan Notts County (h) Drew 0-0
31 Jan Chesterfield (a) Drew 2-2

Back in September we won 3-0 against Doncaster, which no doubt astounded philthesaddler....Baxendale, Forde and Bradshaw scoring. There may well be some doubt whether we can repeat that trio after Tom Bradshaw's hamstring made its presence felt against Gillingham. A chance for young Jordi to make his mark, perhaps?

We stand a reasonable chance of winning this one Doncaster have only won 3 League One games at home (even we've won 4!!!) and they've lost at home to Port Vale, Oldham, Leyton Orient, Sheffield United, and Gillingham. Let's see if we can come away with 3 points courtesy of a 1-2 result, with Andy Taylor and a re-motivated Romaine Sawyers getting on the scoresheet.

paddy
UTS Veteran

Re: Doncaster Rovers (A) League One 7th Feb, 3pm

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:28 pm

2-1 to us goals by Cain & jordi, with butler scoring for them

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:18 pm

Will be interesting to see how much change our forward line gets out of Butler. Hope our lads rub it in about missing out on playing at Wembley, by taking the money elsewhere.

Not been to the Keepmoat before, what is parking like? I'm planning to park in the retail park over the road.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:46 pm

aaaae wrote:Will be interesting to see how much change our forward line gets out of Butler.

Indeed. Especially as he might have been named the league's player of the month by then.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/article/2015/sky-bet-league-1-player-of-the-month-nominations-2246162.aspx

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:28 pm

Hopefully we'll be a bit cleverer than just lumping balls in the air towards Butler and actually try and get him turning a bit. If so, 2-1 to us - Forde and Cook.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:02 pm

aaaae wrote:Will be interesting to see how much change our forward line gets out of Butler. Hope our lads rub it in about missing out on playing at Wembley, by taking the money elsewhere.

Not been to the Keepmoat before, what is parking like? I'm planning to park in the retail park over the road.

Plenty of parking around the approaches to the Keepmoat as it is situated around an Industrial estate, there are cheap parking options within large Company car parks (typical Yorkshire trait of making money on the side!) possibly best to use them as there are plenty of Yorkshire 'scallies' looking for opportunities from unlocked, or indeed locked cars on matchdays.
Do NOT use the retail park!!!!! Like Bolton & Oldham, attendants patrol these areas and issue fixed penalty notices for matchday occupants, (most footy cars readily indicate that they may be 'at the match').
Can't make it myself, (not allowed after recent medical issues) so please give a shout for me, was always a 'local' match for me, so I will miss it tremendously.
UTS always

aaaae
Site Addict

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:06 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
aaaae wrote:Will be interesting to see how much change our forward line gets out of Butler. Hope our lads rub it in about missing out on playing at Wembley, by taking the money elsewhere.

Plenty of parking around the approaches to the Keepmoat as it is situated around an Industrial estate, there are cheap parking options within large Company car parks (typical Yorkshire trait of making money on the side!) possibly best to use them as there are plenty of Yorkshire 'scallies' looking for opportunities from unlocked, or indeed locked cars on matchdays.
Do NOT use the retail park!!!!! Like Bolton & Oldham, attendants patrol these areas and issue fixed penalty notices for matchday occupants, (most footy cars readily indicate that they may be 'at the match').
Can't make it myself, (not allowed after recent medical issues) so please give a shout for me, was always a 'local' match for me, so I will miss it tremendously.
UTS always

Cheers, thanks for the info. Will do. I was hoping to take the family with me, but the weather forecast looks cold, so they will probably be doing something indoors instead while I freeze!

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:09 pm

For anyone like me going by train this link has details of buses to & from ground

http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/docu ... 897193.pdf

Whitters
Site Addict

Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:03 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Coppinger may well be unavailable for Saturday having sustained possible ankle ligament damage against Chesterfield last weekend.

Having a Chesterfield supporting mate, I've noticed this season how often we play teams the week after or the week before they do.
Funni ay it?

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:16 am

I went to School with Nathan Tyson so expect him to score. Still, Doncaster 1 - 3 Walsall Grimes (2), Butler OG.

UTS!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:57 pm

A 1-1 draw, with an OG for us, in front of 5,400, including 375 Saddlers.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:23 pm

O'Connor at centre back instead of Chambers and Grimes up top with Sawyers behind. Side looks weak. Hiwula on the bench. Donny have only lost a few games in quite a few months now (might be 5 in 18) - and Butler was just nominated league 1 player of the month, only the second time a CB has been nominated this season in league 1.

No Bradshaw, no Chambers, O'Connor is poor, Grimes upfront? Lol - not expecting anything here then.

2-0 Donny.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:26 pm

Sadders wrote:O'Connor at centre back instead of Chambers and Grimes up top with Sawyers behind. Side looks weak. Hiwula on the bench. Donny have only lost a few games in quite a few months now (might be 5 in 18) - and Butler was just nominated league 1 player of the month, only the second time a CB has been nominated this season in league 1.

No Bradshaw, no Chambers, O'Connor is poor, Grimes upfront? Lol - not expecting anything here then.

2-0 Donny.

Maybe this is Grimes' chance in his best position.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:29 pm

The bookies certainly have Doncaster as favourites: odds are

Doncaster Rovers win: 11/10
The Draw: 9/4
Walsall win: 13/5 :(

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:31 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Sadders wrote:O'Connor at centre back instead of Chambers and Grimes up top with Sawyers behind. Side looks weak. Hiwula on the bench. Donny have only lost a few games in quite a few months now (might be 5 in 18) - and Butler was just nominated league 1 player of the month, only the second time a CB has been nominated this season in league 1.

2-0 Donny.

Maybe this is Grimes' chance in his best position.

Hope you are right, but I'm 99% sure you won't be and he will be laughable/not score and then not start another game when Bradshaw is fit, before leaving in May. He's just a cheap back up journeyman, most clubs have one. He's ours and he's a combination of anonymous and just not good enough.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:46 pm

BBC are keeping me in suspense....here we are at 2.45pm and no team sheet published yet - :evil:

EDIT....As if by magic there it is: starting line-up:

O'Donnell

Purkiss
O'Connor
Downing
Taylor

Cain
Chambers
Cook

Sawyers
Forde

Grimes

Substitutes: MacGillivray, Baxendale, Preston, Flanagan, Henry, Murphy, Hiwula-Mayifuila (that'll confuse 'em!!)

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:57 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:BBC are keeping me in suspense....here we are at 2.45pm and no team sheet published yet - :evil:

EDIT....As if by magic there it is: starting line-up:

O'Donnell

Purkiss
O'Connor
Downing
Taylor

Cain
Chambers
Cook

Sawyers
Forde

Grimes

Substitutes: MacGillivray, Baxendale, Preston, Flanagan, Henry, Murphy, Hiwula-Mayifuila (that'll confuse 'em!!)

A very young looking bench.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:04 pm

The Wolves are 1-0 down after 19 seconds :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:06 pm

I know most of you like a giggle, so ..... Dingles 0 Reading 1 after 20 seconds :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol:

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:06 pm

Coooooook :D 1-0

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:07 pm

Even better..... Doncaster 0 Walsall 1 (Cook, 2 minutes!!!!!)

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:07 pm

GET IN!!!

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:09 pm

and the seals go behind! Playoff/AV relegation double anyone?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:09 pm

So..... after only 8 minutes, the Dingles, Bluenoses and the Vile are all losing.

We ay :? :wink:

However...... Cook is in the book !!!!! :(

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:18 pm

The first goal (apart from ours) in league One, after 18 minutes:

Swindon Town 1 Barnsley 0

(and the Blues have equalised at Fulham)

Edit: Preston North End 1 Coventry City 0 (carthorse Kevin Davies)
and Yeovil Town 0 Crawley 1 ----- Coventry are only 2 points above the relegation mire......

19 minutes, and an Anthony Forde shot rattles the Donny crossbar..... :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:38 pm

34 minutes, and Man City 0 Hull City 1 puts Hull (as it stands) above Villa, who are now only one place above the bottom three.

Andy Butler wins a free kick, after being fouled by Grimes. He's evidently not afraid to put himself about a bit...... :wink:

Port Vale 0 Bradford City 1 (40 min)
Colchester United 1 Crewe Alexandra 0 (43 min)

Half-time at the Keepmoat, and it's Doncaster Rovers 0 Walsall 1. We're currently 12th in the table, 3 points away from the play-offs. What changes (if any) for the second half, I wonder?

aaaae
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:00 pm

Playing well overall. Odd silly mistakes putting us under pressure. Purkiss my MOTM at the moment, but a few good performances so far. Doncaster very route one, but we are dealing with it so far. Kicking towards our noisy fans (Doncaster silent) second half. Would be good to get an early goal to settle the nerves...

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:06 pm

Doncaster striker Main substituted at the start of the second half, by Nathan Tyson (unknown quantity).

It's a double substitution - Bennett on for Dean Furman.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:06 pm

Plenty to go yet though, Donny had a proper 'game of 2 halves' last week at Chesterfield so they are capable. Hope we hold on though, come on lads!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:12 pm

Doncaster hit the post........ :? :? :?

Port Fail now 1 Bradford City 1

Sounds as though we're under a lot of pressure - we need R O'D to be at his very best...

Next
Return to 2014-15 Season