Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Doncaster Rovers (A) League One 7th Feb, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Doncaster Rovers (A) League One 7th Feb, 3pm

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:02 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Great win, sorry I couldn't make it today, bloomin medics!

The new lad looks like a pretty good prospect!!!

Are the medics threatening to bar you from going to Wembley, Ancient? :?

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:05 pm

Well that's Phil the dingles weekend ruined!

Sort the home form out for god sake, 5th/6th is they're for the taking

UTS

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:06 pm

Good to see you are a bit happier AM but lets see what we think after a few games. My experience tells me that instant judgments are often wrong. All I ask is that players especially youngsters deserve our support unless they prove otherwise over a number of games.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:08 pm

Our recent away form...

Coventry 0-0 Walsall
Sheffield United 1-1 Walsall
Milton Keynes Dons 0-3 Walsall
Preston 0-2 Walsall
Colchester 0-2 Walsall
Doncaster Rovers 0-2 Walsal

Some staggeringly good results in there, we MUST have one of the best away records in the entire country. If we can fix our home form, even by winning another 1 in 3 for example at home - nothing amazing, but it would help.

13 points to safety!

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:26 pm

Another mediocre performance then :lol: :lol:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:34 pm

Super Gabor wrote:Another mediocre performance then :lol: :lol:

I expect Phil will be pointing to the FACT that we have won 9 drawn 10 and lost 9 and scored 29 versus 29 conceded to support his contention that Smith is average :D

Oh, and 12th in the league :D

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:43 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:Another mediocre performance then :lol: :lol:

I expect Phil will be pointing to the FACT that we have won 9 drawn 10 and lost 9 and scored 29 versus 29 conceded to support his contention that Smith is average :D

Oh, and 12th in the league :D

The season isn't finished for a few months yet so the determined outcome is still in the making.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:52 pm

Smith out, Smith out, Smith out, Smith out, Smith out, Smith out, Smith out, Smith out, Smith out, Smith out. :mrgreen:

Good win as Donny have been in good form lately. Lovely to see the new kid score on his debut.

Now back to back home games, would be nicely to actually win one of them and back up this fantastic away form. It's amazing how much football is played in the head isn't it, a team that believes it's always going to win away from home and generally does but just can't get the same mentality for home games.

A shame as with the squad Smith has now assembled I don't think this team is far at all from being at the business end of this league.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:56 pm

Great win. Sounds like we thoroughly deserved it.

Talk of a play-off push is immature though unless we can sort out the home form. Our poor start means we need a run at some point of four or five wins on the spin to get us in the mix and I just can't see us doing that at the moment.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:01 pm

PT wrote:Great win. Sounds like we thoroughly deserved it.

Talk of a play-off push is immature though unless we can sort out the home form. Our poor start means we need a run at some point of four or five wins on the spin to get us in the mix and I just can't see us doing that at the moment.

Indeed. The 5th and 6th places are there for any of a dozen teams. One or two will inevitably go on a run. It needs to be us if we are going to fill one of those places.

Smith may need to reevaluate tactics for the remaining home games as it seems away from home he has it spot on.

Who knows what this new lad might add as well, as we are ain't far off.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:12 pm

Top away performance from the lads. Purkiss was my MOTM, but the bulk of the team had a great game. Grimes worked really hard and when Jordi came on I think he benefitted from the work Grimes had put in for the first 65 minutes. The lad looks a real threat, but I don't think Smith will be playing two strikers and Sawyers.

I wonder if Butler has any regrets, when he looks at our team, with James O'Connor of all people playing in Butler's position, and playing really well.

The fans were great today as well. A Doncaster fan called into BBC Sheffield as I drove back and the first thing he did was praise our fans and the atmosphere we made. Then praised the speed that we attacked with in the second half. We all know that this is the crux of our problems at home, as teams know they have to sit deep against us, which they can't do when they are at home, or if they go behind early like Doncaster did today.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:14 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

Indeed. The 5th and 6th places are there for any of a dozen teams. One or two will inevitably go on a run. It needs to be us if we are going to fill one of those places.

Smith may need to reevaluate tactics for the remaining home games as it seems away from home he has it spot on.

Sheffield United will get one of them.

The other spot is very open though, you'd probably say Bradford would be favourites but they're similar in they can't win at home either and the cup run will mean a fixture backlog for them.

And if people are worrying about Chesterfield now, they're not Bayern Munich ffs and have just sold their top scorer. :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:31 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

The other spot is very open though, you'd probably say Bradford would be favourites but they're similar in they can't win at home either and the cup run will mean a fixture backlog for them.

And if people are worrying about Chesterfield now, they're not Bayern Munich ffs and have just sold their top scorer. :lol:

Sheffield United may well have blown up of late .... they've won 2 of their last 10 League One games.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:23 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Sheffield United may well have blown up of late .... they've won 2 of their last 10 League One games.

Yeah I know but they've still beaten Swindon and PNE recently and they'll probably bore enough opposition teams to sleep to win enough games 1-0. :lol:

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:45 pm

A tremendous away performance and a thoroughly deserved win.
I was sitting behind a couple of Donny fans on the bus back to the station & overheard them say " we were taught a lesson there" and "they made it look really easy the way they passed the ball" and "they looked like they could score every time they attacked".
I don't think anyone had a bad game and we played really well. Thought Grimes deserved the applause he got when substituted and the new lad looked quick and sharp and took his goal really well. If he can do that regularly then he will be a real bonus. Purkiss was my man of the match.
I'm not a 'singer' but our fans were outstanding from first to last whistle.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:07 pm

Just back, great, great, great victory.

Felt Sawyers gave Butler a torrid time. MOTM is split between Purkiss and O'Connor, both superb. Hiwula was very lively with some excellent link up play and runs in behind, we looked a real threat on the break with him on the pitch. Took his header really well, great placement and composure.

He has "Hiwula" on his shirt btw.

Butler shook our players' hands and went straight down the tunnel shaking his head, even he knew how route 1 and predictable Donny were.

Stroddscomeback

Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:09 pm

I'm a frustrated Albion fan who lives in Hull, was brought up in WB, please don't hold it against me. During the Chrissy Nicol era I used to travel away with the Saddlers with an old mate of mine, haven't been since 95. Getting sick of the greed league and all that comes with it, moaning fans who think we have a right to stay in the league. Went along today to the Keepmoat and proudly sang with you lot, loved it, love the Saddlers, great atmosphere!! Looking forward to Barnsley in March.
Last edited by Stroddscomeback on Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:16 pm

Stroddscomeback wrote:I'm a frustrated Albion fan who lives in Hull, was brought in WB, please don't hold it against me. During the Chrissy Nicol era I used to travel away with the Saddlers with an old mate of mine, haven't been since 95. Getting sick of the greed league and all that comes with it, moaning fans who think we have a right to stay in the league. Went along today to the Keepmoat and proudly sang with you lot, loved it, love the Saddlers, great atmosphere!! Looking forward to Barnsley in March.

WELCOME BACK :D

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:34 pm

Stroddscomeback wrote:I'm a frustrated Albion fan who lives in Hull, was brought up in WB, please don't hold it against me. During the Chrissy Nicol era I used to travel away with the Saddlers with an old mate of mine, haven't been since 95. Getting sick of the greed league and all that comes with it, moaning fans who think we have a right to stay in the league. Went along today to the Keepmoat and proudly sang with you lot, loved it, love the Saddlers, great atmosphere!! Looking forward to Barnsley in March.

Good lad.
Spread the word around because the bottom 2 leagues is where the REAL football fan resides. Some of our "supporters" expect us to be challenging for the Championship every season, and if we got there would expect us to make a fight for the Premier.fudge the Premier and their plastic glory hunting shithead fans.
I'm happy where we are,who we are and (hopefully) where we will be in 10/20 years.
I'm Walsall and will always be

UTS

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:40 pm

If O'connor starts in this team It has to be as a CB imo as I haven't been impressed with him at all at CB. Good to hear he played well.

Purkiss was very unlucky to lose his place in January, his best season since joining the club and very underrated.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:45 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:If O'connor starts in this team It has to be as a CB imo as I haven't been impressed with him at all at CB. Good to hear he played well.

Purkiss was very unlucky to lose his place in January, his best season since joining the club and very underrated.

Phil hates him.....FACTOID.

Best 30-40 yard passer of the ball we have.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:49 pm

Stroddscomeback wrote:I'm a frustrated Albion fan who lives in Hull, was brought up in WB, please don't hold it against me. During the Chrissy Nicol era I used to travel away with the Saddlers with an old mate of mine, haven't been since 95. Getting sick of the greed league and all that comes with it, moaning fans who think we have a right to stay in the league. Went along today to the Keepmoat and proudly sang with you lot, loved it, love the Saddlers, great atmosphere!! Looking forward to Barnsley in March.

Goodness, with daughter & son now living in Leeds & London respectively you have doubled the Hull based 'Saddlers supporting contingent'!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:52 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:If O'connor starts in this team It has to be as a CB imo as I haven't been impressed with him at all at CB.

Am I missing something in that sentiment? :?

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:54 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:If O'connor starts in this team It has to be as a CB imo as I haven't been impressed with him at all at CB.

Am I missing something in that sentiment? :?

:lol: :lol:

Stroddscomeback

Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:59 pm

hullsaddler wrote:

Goodness, with daughter & son now living in Leeds & London respectively you have doubled the Hull based 'Saddlers supporting contingent'!

Ha! Excellent. Was pleasantly surprised today with hearing how much you hate the dingles. UTS

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:13 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Great win, sorry I couldn't make it today, bloomin medics!

The new lad looks like a pretty good prospect!!!

Are the medics threatening to bar you from going to Wembley, Ancient? :?

Thankfully Welsh, I'll be fine cus the wife will be with me, making sure I don't get too excited when we beat the crud out of Brizzle City! can't wait.... :D :D :D

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:31 pm

We rode our luck today but that was pretty much another textbook away performance in that we defended bravely and were clinical (if you only watch us at home this means making the most of the chances you get) with our two best opportunities of the game. Felt a bit sorry for Grimes - worked really hard today but didn't get a sniff apart from a cracking reverse pass from Sawyers that he couldn't quite control. Then four minutes after he went off Cook put a beautiful ball straight onto Hiwula's noggin. Great finish from the lad though - thought he looked very composed throughout his 20 minute cameo.

Purkiss was excellent as was Adam Chambers in the second half especially. Slightly surprised more people haven't mentioned O'Donnell who coped really well with everything Donny through at him. The save from Butler in the first half was outstanding. I think we almost expect ROD to have a good game these days which shows what a crucial part of the team he's become.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:40 pm

Did Butler get a good reception today? Did he acknowledge our fans?

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:45 pm

Sadders wrote:Did Butler get a good reception today? Did he acknowledge our fans?

Once we had the game won he had a brilliant reception, which he ignored completely.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:47 pm

aaaae wrote:
Sadders wrote:Did Butler get a good reception today? Did he acknowledge our fans?

Once we had the game won he had a brilliant reception, which he ignored completely.

Do I detect the slight taste of sour grapes??? :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season