Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Doncaster Rovers (A) League One 7th Feb, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Re: Doncaster Rovers (A) League One 7th Feb, 3pm

Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:48 pm

bangsection wrote:We rode our luck today but that was pretty much another textbook away performance in that we defended bravely and were clinical (if you only watch us at home this means making the most of the chances you get) with our two best opportunities of the game. Felt a bit sorry for Grimes - worked really hard today but didn't get a sniff apart from a cracking reverse pass from Sawyers that he couldn't quite control. Then four minutes after he went off Cook put a beautiful ball straight onto Hiwula's noggin. Great finish from the lad though - thought he looked very composed throughout his 20 minute cameo.

Purkiss was excellent as was Adam Chambers in the second half especially. Slightly surprised more people haven't mentioned O'Donnell who coped really well with everything Donny through at him. The save from Butler in the first half was outstanding. I think we almost expect ROD to have a good game these days which shows what a crucial part of the team he's become.

O'Donnell was second on my list after Purkiss, but there were so many good performances.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:52 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
aaaae wrote:
Sadders wrote:Did Butler get a good reception today? Did he acknowledge our fans?

Once we had the game won he had a brilliant reception, which he ignored completely.

Do I detect the slight taste of sour grapes??? :D

Not at all. I wont cheer a player from another team. :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:56 pm

aaaae wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
aaaae wrote:
Sadders wrote:Did Butler get a good reception today? Did he acknowledge our fans?

Once we had the game won he had a brilliant reception, which he ignored completely.

Not at all. I wont cheer a player from another team. :D

No, sorry, I meant that the sour grapes were on Andy Butler's side - ignoring the fans' reception..... :D

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:11 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
aaaae wrote:

I doubt it, our fans treated him the best of any throughout his career. It's just not professional to be a captain of your home town club and then clap and acknowledge the away support when your losing at home in a game your expected to win. He's looking after what he has currently. He also wished us and our players well for getting to Wembley and I've seen him on twitter retweeting well wishes from Walsall fans.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:31 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:If O'connor starts in this team It has to be as a CB imo as I haven't been impressed with him at all at CB.

Am I missing something in that sentiment? :?

Ah just seen it, RB of course. :lol: He's poor in that position, Purkiss is much better so just rotate Downing/O'Connor alongside Chambers depending on the opposition.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:33 pm

Sadders wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
aaaae wrote:

I doubt it, our fans treated him the best of any throughout his career. It's just not professional to be a captain of your home town club and then clap and acknowledge the away support when your losing at home in a game your expected to win. He's looking after what he has currently. He also wished us and our players well for getting to Wembley and I've seen him on twitter retweeting well wishes from Walsall fans.

Butler said in the E&S this week he would be at Wembley to watch the final so he clearly appreciates the club taking him off the football scrapeheap.

I'm sure he'll get a tremendous reception at the Banks next season.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:51 am

Another excellent win, unbeaten in 7 away league games now, including 3 successive away wins without conceding. Throw in the JPT Area Final 1st leg victory and its all pretty impressive.

If only we could rediscover some home form. Maybe Tuesday?

382 Saddlers in attendance at the Keepmoat.

UTS Legend

Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:28 am

Jordy Hiwula-Mayifuila!
Any songs for him yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHKAPdBQ8Rs

dajw_my_son
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:29 am

Any songs for him yet

To the tune of Be Bop A Lula

Jordy Hiwula, he's our Newbie
Jordy Hiwula, we don't need Manset (change this to Will Grigg when we play the mongs)

gray
Glitterati

Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:45 am

I love Leroy Rosenior. He's always so nice about us.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:50 am

gray wrote:I love Leroy Rosenior. He's always so nice about us.

Agreed, although I would have liked him to say that Karl Robinson was talking rubbish when he was banging on about having a small budget. That bloke is the definition of irritating! I would so like to make a play off final against them this year and smash them at Wembley. Then we can have a discussion about budgets!

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:37 am

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:

Agreed, although I would have liked him to say that Karl Robinson was talking rubbish when he was banging on about having a small budget. That bloke is the definition of irritating! I would so like to make a play off final against them this year and smash them at Wembley. Then we can have a discussion about budgets!

The man is the biggest of tools. Rosenior is bang on the money saying he's stayed their a season too long. In reality, the Dongs have massive under achieved. Robinson would have long been out yhe door if he didn't have such a "good relationship" with his chairman. I'm sure he's just waiting round for a position at Brighton! :lol:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:45 am

saddler_nic wrote:
ToeJoe Jnr wrote:

The man is the biggest of tools. Rosenior is bang on the money saying he's stayed their a season too long. In reality, the Dongs have massive under achieved. Robinson would have long been out yhe door if he didn't have such a "good relationship" with his chairman. I'm sure he's just waiting round for a position at Brighton! :lol:

Can someone explain this unhealthy obsession with Karl Robinson that pervades on here?

Do we know what his budget is, and shouldn't (according to plenty on here) Smith have been long out of door if he didn't have such a good relationship with our owner?

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:53 am

chestersaddler wrote:
saddler_nic wrote:
ToeJoe Jnr wrote:

Can someone explain this unhealthy obsession with Karl Robinson that pervades on here?

Do we know what his budget is, and shouldn't (according to plenty on here) Smith have been long out of door if he didn't have such a good relationship with our owner?

He comes across as an odious individual and is manager of a club most of us hate.

Very good away performance. Our defence was excellent considering the size difference between our players and theirs and the amount of balls that were pumping into the box at one point.

O'Donell, Purkiss and O'Connor were particularly outstanding. Special mention to Cook, who scored one and created another. Doncaster seemed to give up after the second goal.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:33 am

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:

Robinson is a fat scouse mug who's always looking for excuses. He called the Walsall win there a fluke (despite regularly winning at Stadium franchise in the last few years) and is bleeding on about his budget yet just sold a player for 5m, had a money spinning cup tie v Man. United and can afford Will Grigg for the full season. When they hit a winless run he'll be blaming the ref again.

Hopefully Swindon and Bristol City hang onto top two and they'll bottle the play offs again.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:48 am

SoccerHQ wrote:
ToeJoe Jnr wrote:

Robinson is a fat scouse mug who's always looking for excuses. He called the Walsall win there a fluke (despite regularly winning at Stadium franchise in the last few years) and is bleeding on about his budget yet just sold a player for 5m, had a money spinning cup tie v Man. United and can afford Will Grigg for the full season. When they hit a winless run he'll be blaming the ref again.

Hopefully Swindon and Bristol City hang onto top two and they'll bottle the play offs again.

On that basis I hate almost everyone in the world :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:52 am

pumajaguar wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
saddler_nic wrote:
ToeJoe Jnr wrote:

He comes across as an odious individual and is manager of a club most of us hate

But so do a lot of managers and we hate most clubs :wink:

I thought it was something specific.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:36 pm

Some nice pics here: http://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=251239.0

I particularly like the 3rd one, where RO'D is psyching the opposition out.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:53 pm

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:54 pm

Karl Robinson is a massive bellshaft who can't wait to get excuses in about his budget. Sure it may not be the as Sheffield United and Bristol City but they get bigger home attendances (8k for the Dons vs 18k at Sheffield and 12k at Brizzle) but making out it's tiny and an overwhelming success if they get up is just stupidity, they've had a good squad for years and have either faded away at the business end or have bottled it in the play-offs. This January he had Afobe leave (no fee as he was on loan) and managed to bring in Devante Cole who looked good at Barnsley and Johnson Clarke-Harris who Rotherham paid 250k for in the summer..they also have Potter, Powell, Danny Green, Lewington who are all on more than our top paid player.

He's an odious little cack and I hope they continue to fail, just so that bellend can slowly be seen for what he is.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:09 pm

Cheltenham fans thoughts on Mathieu's debut....

'Well to the game; Mansett started, big guy, svelte, quick, skilful, a master class of control - NOT - resembled a clutch-less 1930's Massey Ferguson wandering around in the mire that is Whaddon Rd these days. Surely PBII hasn't got this clown on a 2yr contract; rightly subbed at half-time'

:lol:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:41 pm

Sadders wrote:Cheltenham fans thoughts on Mathieu's debut....

'Well to the game; Mansett started, big guy, svelte, quick, skilful, a master class of control - NOT - resembled a clutch-less 1930's Massey Ferguson wandering around in the mire that is Whaddon Rd these days. Surely PBII hasn't got this clown on a 2yr contract; rightly subbed at half-time'

:lol: I was getting confused until I got to the word "Not"

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:19 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Sadders wrote:Cheltenham fans thoughts on Mathieu's debut....

:lol: I was getting confused until I got to the word "Not"

From their forum
Manset...5 Radio Glos commented that he looked shattered after warm up! Did very little and guess he is several weeks away from being fit

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:53 am

Is it just me who is shocked not to find any posting from pessimistic Phil or Sallian on this thread? :lol:

That said, if tomorrow night's result doesn't go our way I am sure they will have plenty to say.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:43 am

Super Gabor wrote:Is it just me who is shocked not to find any posting from pessimistic Phil or Sallian on this thread? :lol:

That said, if tomorrow night's result doesn't go our way I am sure they will have plenty to say.

I would like to associate myself with the above comments!!! :D

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:08 pm

Where was Doncaster's centre half for that second goal... glad we aint got him playing for us. :D

SWS1

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:32 pm

aaaae wrote:Top away performance from the lads. Purkiss was my MOTM, but the bulk of the team had a great game. Grimes worked really hard and when Jordi came on I think he benefitted from the work Grimes had put in for the first 65 minutes. The lad looks a real threat, but I don't think Smith will be playing two strikers and Sawyers.

I wonder if Butler has any regrets, when he looks at our team, with James O'Connor of all people playing in Butler's position, and playing really well.

The fans were great today as well. A Doncaster fan called into BBC Sheffield as I drove back and the first thing he did was praise our fans and the atmosphere we made. Then praised the speed that we attacked with in the second half. We all know that this is the crux of our problems at home, as teams know they have to sit deep against us, which they can't do when they are at home, or if they go behind early like Doncaster did today.

I think you've got it spot on there, a. (It is Ok to use your first name, isn't it?)
Where teams come at us (and most have to at home as you aver) we can use our pace and guile on the counter to give them grief. When teams sit back and seek to smother us with numbers, they seem to succeed. However, I'm not sure that explains letting in two lots of 4 goals at home...Can someone explain that to me? Then, of course, there's the frustrating fact that we have lost or drawn so many games we really should have won (Crawley being, probably, the most frustrating but there are others) and another win and a draw from any of those games would put us firmly in the playoffs.
Still, mustn't dwell on might-have-beens when the team are delivering such good results in so many games. But sort out our home form and a playoff place is there for the taking.
UTS! :D

PT
Site Addict

Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:44 am

Ther's not that much difference to how we are playing home and away. Wherever we play, the first goal in a game is huge for us as we hate chasing a game and love playing on the counter.

Recently at home, we have contrived to concede the first goal. Against Scunthorpe we found ourselves a goal down and they hadn't even had a shot. O'Donnell didn't make a save against Gillingham. Swindon were just better than us. Away from home, we're contriving to score first, our goal is leading a charmed life (see Saturday's clearances off the line/woodword/saves or o'donnells heroics at PNE or that mad scramble at Colchester or The MK Dons player clearing one off our line and being off-side in the process) and we can often score another as the home side come at us.

What we lack is a Plan B for when we go behind. Our style means we have to do a lot of things really well to craft a chance. When the opposition get a goal up and can "park the bus" our style probably has to get even more precise to break a side down and we're always in danger of leaving the back door open. When he first came, i thought Manset was Plan B and his presence certainly helped us get back in the game against Bristol City and got us on top against Sheff Utd in the JPT.

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season