Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (H) League One, Sun 1st Feb at 6.00pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
BESCOTIAN

Re: Gillingham (H) League One, Sun 1st Feb at 6.00pm

Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:08 pm

First Post long time Saddlers fan watched my first game from the Hilary St end back in 88 so be gentle with me.

Been down Bescot tonight and feel that the home form is predictable at the moment. Once again we played some really nice stuff tonight with no end result. Although its not the style of football we play I cant help wondering if being more direct and route 1 would help at times. There are massive periods where we boss the game but give the opposing team time to get back behind the ball and close things down.

Encouraged that we recovered quickly after Gills goal look forward to the next game

Ian

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:29 pm

One of the problems tonight was the Ref was too lenient at the beginning and didn't dish out the cards enough allowing Gillingham to get away with so much.

SWS1

Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:45 pm

Chomper wrote:Ive never known a team to dominate a mach yet concede cheap goals such as we do. Frustrating!

Thank christ we've got back into it quickly but we should have been out of sight by now. Plwased for Grimes, there is a player in there.

Too bloody true! Has any team dominated so many games, out-possessed, out-shot and out-on-targeted ( :shock: ) the opposition and ended up drawing or losing the match?? With at least one more decent goal scorer, it seems we would be top four or, at least, top six, no problem. Like some on here, I am still angry at that result at Shrewsbury a couple of seasons ago (on the box) where we couldn't find the net despite all our pressure and attempts on goal. A nd they nicked one and won Grrr.* :evil: And we've done it time and again since then. Yet, here we are at Wembley for the first time as well! It's sooooo frustrating being a Saddler! :evil:
Still, UTS! :D

*Mind you, we're not the only ones: Swansea did exactly the same to Southampton this afternoon - soaked up all the pressure then nicked one. But they did have the excuse that they had 5 first choice players unavailable (if you count Bony being stockpiled :mrgreen: by Mank City :mrgreen: ). And, of course, Soton did it once, not almost every bleedin' week.
Last edited by SWS1 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JJunior9
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:52 pm

Thought the officials tonight were utter garbage.

Far too weak first half.

It summed it up at the end of the game when O'Connor clearly won the ball and gave a corner. Cody McDonald went ape (and got booked eventually) but not before about 6 Gillingham players surrounded the referee.

It reminded me of Andy D'Urso when he gave a penalty to Middlesbro against Man Utd at Old Trafford. He visibly looked scared and back-tracked and back-tracked towards the corner-flag.

Footballers are not dissimilar to school-children with a cover-teacher. If they sense fear or weakness, they will walk all over you.

The ref was like a really weak supply teacher who wanted to be everyone's best friend instead of doing what he is actually paid to do (maintain order and prevent problems from escalating).

PT
Site Addict

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:52 am

BESCOTIAN wrote:First Post long time Saddlers fan watched my first game from the Hilary St end back in 88 so be gentle with me.

Been down Bescot tonight and feel that the home form is predictable at the moment. Once again we played some really nice stuff tonight with no end result. Although its not the style of football we play I cant help wondering if being more direct and route 1 would help at times. There are massive periods where we boss the game but give the opposing team time to get back behind the ball and close things down.

Encouraged that we recovered quickly after Gills goal look forward to the next game

Ian

Welcome on board Ian.

I agree that we need to be able to mix it up more, but last night we absolutely dominated the first half and created so many chances and situations we should have been out of sight playing our Plan A/only Plan game.

Gillingham looked like a fourth division team and our inability to kill sides like that off at home is the reason why we will have a closer shave with relegation than promotion. So long as it's only a shave and not actual relegation I think people will take Wembley as defining it as a decent season and allows Mr Smith another summer to get the ingredients right.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:24 am

We still need alternatives in the squad - for years now we haven't realised that there are games when you need a few battlers in the team. Teams like Gillingham always come and get us involved in a war in the hope it stops us playing and almost every time it works. This was the kind of game we couild have done with a proper centre half and a powerful presence in midfield.

On top of the that, the core of the team play every game and in the second half of the season they get jaded. Adam Chambers should be allowed a rest now and again at least.

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:51 am

Should have won the game on chances created but thats football.

:wink:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:52 pm

I think last night showed how restricted we are in terms of options when we need to mix things up a little. Sawyers didn't have the worst or the best of games, but he did have one of those where barely anything he tried came off in the final third. I'm not sure what Baxendale has to do to even get 10 minutes of football in that position, but I'd have made that change after about an hour last night.

By the same token, although I don't want to fall into the pre-Ngoo trap of saying a big man is the answer to all our problems, I do think it'd help in the last 10 minutes or so. Forde in particular has the ability to deliver some really good crosses from wide, yet we're always asking way too much for one of the other forwards (Bradshaw, Grimes, Sawyers, or Cook) to get on the end of them.

That said though, I thought we played pretty well overall. The first half cost us, during which we were brilliant in spells, yet still failed to score. What a difference Purkiss made by the way - it'll be ludicrous if he gets dropped again.

If there's one big plus point, it's that Grimes finally got that monkey off his back. Let's just hope his goal scoring isn't restricted to Sundays. :D

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:31 pm

Another dour, mediocre performance.

And some people think we have a chance of the playoffs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:43 pm

Dour? Mediocre? 15 shots 8 on target-no not dour ,not mediocre. Some of our football in the first half was excellent and on this occasion we were very unfortunate not to win. Bradshaw missed at least 2 chances which he normally takes and there was some last ditch defending from Gillingham both in the first half and in the last few minutes which prevented a Walsall win which would have been well deserved on the play.
Having said all that I agree that the play offs are out of reach until we find a second striker who can convert some of the great chances we create.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:49 pm

Walsallone wrote:Dour? Mediocre? 15 shots 8 on target-no not dour ,not mediocre.

Oh, you like stats? Well I've got a few...

6 goals for in the last 7 home games, less than a goal a game on average at home.

1 win at home in the last 7 attempts.

Dour? Yes.

Mediocre? Bordering on poor actually.

But hey, WEMBERLEY innit?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:46 pm

I was commenting on last night's game not the previous games. I did not find the game boring and I didn't think we were mediocre. Thats my view-I thought forums like this were for people to express views and give opinions.Sorry I won't do it again as you are clearly upset ....if you want my views on the other games have a look at what I said(if anything) at the time. UTS

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:27 pm

We were ok against a dirty, nasty, crap team and should have buried them with the number of chances we made in the first half.

We couldn't and that's why we wont make the playoffs. 11th - 14th at the end of the season, a wasted chance in a very weak division this year.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:01 pm

Walsallone wrote:Dour? Mediocre? 15 shots 8 on target-no not dour ,not mediocre. Some of our football in the first half was excellent and on this occasion we were very unfortunate not to win. Bradshaw missed at least 2 chances which he normally takes and there was some last ditch defending from Gillingham both in the first half and in the last few minutes which prevented a Walsall win which would have been well deserved on the play.
Having said all that I agree that the play offs are out of reach until we find a second striker who can convert some of the great chances we create.

He's found one, great prospect :lol: :lol: :lol: managed to score one goal on loan at Yeovil, who let him go cus he was crud, we certainly can pick 'em, N'good all over again?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:51 pm

You have been saying for days that we would not sign anyone so you should be pleased! I always prefer to see players play for a good few matches before posting comments either positive or negative. I haven't a clue as to how this young man will perform and neither have you so best to keep quiet for now.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:03 pm

Walsallone wrote:You have been saying for days that we would not sign anyone so you should be pleased! I always prefer to see players play for a good few matches before posting comments either positive or negative. I haven't a clue as to how this young man will perform and neither have you so best to keep quiet for now.

I imagine he will be given at least 20 minutes before some of our idiots start jeering and booing him.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:09 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Dour? Mediocre? 15 shots 8 on target-no not dour ,not mediocre.

Oh, you like stats? Well I've got a few...

6 goals for in the last 7 home games, less than a goal a game on average at home.

1 win at home in the last 7 attempts.

Dour? Yes.

Mediocre? Bordering on poor actually.

But hey, WEMBERLEY innit?

UTS Legend

Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:42 am

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:36 am

philthesaddler wrote:Another dour, mediocre performance.

Swap "post" with "performance" and you're spot on.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:51 am

kshammer wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Another dour, mediocre performance.

Swap "post" with "performance" and you're spot on.

George Orwell wrote:The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:06 am

I don't hate you Phil -I just think you are wrong! Most agree with me-some agree with you. Thats life!

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:20 pm

Their keeper pulled of a few good saves in the first half. I was entertained, though the result wasn't what we want.

I would give Sawyers a game or two off, just try and be a bit more direct with wing play.

We get the ball wide so often and end up cutting back because the box is empty.

Cain was looking a bit leggy too.

PS the new topic button is far too close to the reply!!!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:34 pm

Aldridge_saddler wrote:
PS the new topic button is far too close to the reply!!!

Should have gone to Specsavers ?? :lol:

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season