Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Preston N.E. (H) F.L.Trophy area final 2nd leg, 27 Jan 7.45

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Preston N.E. (H) F.L.Trophy area final 2nd leg, 27 Jan 7.45

Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:44 pm

I know it's early with a week to go to the match, but its significance qualifies it to have as much chewing over as possible before kick-off. There wasn't space in the thread title to give the aggregate score so far, but you won't need reminding that it stands at Walsall 2 Preston North End 0. The only snag seems to be that we have to play the 2nd leg at home where our current form is dodgy, to say the least. I'm also aware that Preston do have 2 competitive fixtures this week, but the importance of this game may well render League One form meaningless (hope so). Preston's current form, for what it's worth:

26 Dec Barnsley (H) Won 1-0
28 Dec Crewe Alexandra (A) Drew 1-1
3 Jan Norwich City (H) Won 2-0 (F.A.Cup 3rd round)
7 Jan Walsall (H) Lost 0-2 (F.L.Trophy area final, 1st leg)
10 Jan Sheffield Utd (A) Lost 2-1
16 Jan Leyton Orient (H) Drew 2-2

Preston's away form in all competitions this season is impressive - they've played 18 games and registered 10 wins, 3 draws and 5 losses. Their position of 4th in the League One table on 46 points is cushioned by a 9 point gap to Rochdale immediately beneath them.

Team selection is a bit up in the air for both managers at this point. Preston's leading scorer Joe Garner is still nursing a shin injury which was going to keep him out for "three to four months", and that was back in November (and he's still the leading scorer). Jermaine Beckford represents their biggest current scoring threat but in the first leg at Deepdale he was substituted, along with former England striker Kevin Davies. Goalkeeper Stuckmann seems to have fallen out of favour with Sam Johnstone being signed on loan from Manchester United for the rest of the season, but even he couldn't stop Leyton Orient scoring twice last Friday.

Dean Smith has some sorting out to do in the next few days. Judging from the picture of James O'Connor's pate on another thread it may keep him sidelined. We know that Sam Mantom is unlikely to figure, and it's also uncertain as to whether we will be able to extend Michael Cain's loan (again) EDIT AT THIS POINT........Michael Cain's loan has been extended for the rest of this season. Time for the squad to show its resilience, and strength in depth.

Prediction? I would be quite happy not to even hazard a guess at this one but the combination of a 2-0 advantage to start with, coupled with the motivating factor of a Wembley appearance really should persuade whichever XI starts to pull out all the stops. There's no doubt that North End want it just as much as we do, and it could well be a night of putting bodies on the line - "They shall not pass" . Passing, on the other hand, could be in our favour. If we play tippy-tappy for 90 minutes and lose 0-1 on the night I will be more than happy. My realistic prediction is, however, going to be 1-1 (Bradshaw).

See you at Wembley............... :D

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Re: Preston N.E. (H) F.L.Trophy area final 2nd leg, 27 Jan 7

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:20 pm

I think if we score first in a counter attack as they must come at us from the start we will get through to Wembley.However if they score first it could be backs to the wall all night.I'm going with 1-1.Bradshaw for us (he's due one) and Beckford he can't keep missing like he did at Deepdale.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:02 am

We do have a number of factors in our favour for this second leg. People who have attended home games this season have noted that our counter attack style struggles at home where teams try and absorb the pressure - Preston have to come at us. Preston also have two games between now and next Tuesday which hopefully will make a cold January night in Walsall particularly tough on their legs!! Finally we're up by 2.

I'm not making any predictions because I'm seriously nervous. I think Preston are going to go Kung ho on us and we (including us fans) need stick together. My hearts hoping for an entertaining Walsall 2 - 2 Preston (Beautiful Bradshaw to bury both and barmy Beckford to bog off).

Come on you Saddlers!!! Let's make history!

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:44 pm

We'll concede a goal in the first 5 minutes, then spend the next 95 minutes in nerve-shredding defence of our slender lead - finally getting to Wembley via the anti-climatic route.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:09 pm

A late equaliser from Bradshaw after a slide-rule Sawyers pass splits their defence will give us a draw on the night and a 3-1 aggregate victory.

I've seen it in my tea cup so it must be true.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:26 pm

Grimes to replace an injured Bradshaw after 51 minutes and then scores a hat-trick.

Saddlers lose 3-4 ... But reach Wembley 5-4!

Anybody seen them in Burtons yet; looking for new suits?

At least we can't draw Arsenal away. :D

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:45 pm

All right lads, put 'em back...

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:34 pm

WARSAWPACT - possibly the best username on UTS?

I love it. Genius moniker.

Oh and I think it will be 1-2. PNE scoring first, us getting worried and then Super Tom scoring an equaliser and PNE get a quick 2nd and put us under the cosh but we hold out. Hope it's more comfortable than that though!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:55 pm

As a complete aside, Preston are playing Yeovil Town tonight (Tuesday), and at half-time it's Preston 0 Yeovil 1. In the first 45 minutes Preston have had 7 shots, none of which was on target. It looks like a full-strength side too, with both Beckford and Davies up front. EDIT - Beckford subbed 66 minutes, Ebanks-Blake on in his place.

That's the kind of form we need you to show, Lillywhites - more of the same next week please!! :D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:53 pm

PNE are really rubbish atm, think this will be 0-0.

UTS Legend

Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:34 am

In my teacup it's 1-4, and dream over for another century.

Maybe I need a new tea bag.

paddy
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:04 pm

only 6 days to go now and squeaky bum time is getting closer

I predict 2-1 preston, with us trailing 2-0 going in to injury time & sam johnstone to score an og for us, after a grimes shot hits the bar and goes in off the keepers backside

as we never make it easy for ourselves :(

cue pandemonium at the bescot :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:13 am

Didn't realise Johnstone was on loan at them now...reminds me of the Coventry 4-0 a few years back when he'd just joined on loan and I was doing my once a season of sitting in the F2G upper....next to a guy who was drawing diagrams whenever Johnstone came out of his 6 yard box to claim crosses. Turns out it was a Man. United scout tracking his progress.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:34 am

I worry that Preston's big strikers will target ROD early on as they know from the first match how good a keeper he is and how important he is to us. If he gets injured and has to come off then we have an unknown in Craig MacGillivray.
I hope Craig has featured in this weeks practice matches as we need him match fit/as sharp as possible.
Our defence will need to protect ROD as far as possible.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:35 pm

Johnstone played for Doncaster earlier on in the competition so will he be cup tied?

Edit: to answer my own question, yes he will be. Rule 7.3 on here:
http://www.football-league.co.uk/global ... rules.aspx

saddla
Site Addict

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:23 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Johnstone played for Doncaster earlier on in the competition so will he be cup tied?

Edit: to answer my own question, yes he will be. Rule 7.3 on here:
http://www.football-league.co.uk/global ... rules.aspx

Interesting! Especially as Preston have today loaned out their former No1 Keeper Jamie Jones to Coventry.
http://www.pnefc.net/news/article/goalkeeper-jamie-jones-is-set-to-join-fellow-league-one-side-2219976.aspx

They could recall him under this regulation but I wonder how the FL would react to such a request as they must know that Johnstone is cup tied.

53.3.11 Emergency Loans and Youth Loans involving goalkeepers (but not otherwise) may be subject to a recall clause within the first 28 days. Any recall may only be implemented in extenuating circumstances and with the consent of the Executive, such extenuating circumstances to be determined in the Executive’s absolute discretion.

Thorsten Stuckmann did play for Preston in goal in the first leg against us.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:58 pm

I was about to post that Johnstone was cup tied. I wonder how Stuckmann will feel about being replaced for the league games but brought back to face us on Tuesday? Thinking about that I presume Johnstone will have played for Doncaster in the FA Cup as well and therefore Stuckmann will be in goal for Preston on Saturday in their game against Sheff Utd?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:26 pm

Thought Stuckmann was poor in the first game...poor kick out that lead to the first goal and thought he was slow coming out for the Bradshaw goal so that's certainly a boost.

SWS1

Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:37 pm

I'm on tenterhooks. Daren't think about it (but think about it all the time).
:shock:

SWS1

Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:46 pm

Asps wrote:I worry that Preston's big strikers will target ROD early on as they know from the first match how good a keeper he is and how important he is to us. If he gets injured and has to come off then we have an unknown in Craig MacGillivray.
I hope Craig has featured in this weeks practice matches as we need him match fit/as sharp as possible.
Our defence will need to protect ROD as far as possible.

Let's hope the ref(s) do their job, 'n all :evil:
I've no time for Sheef Utd but I thought the ref v. Spurs on Wednesday let SPURS get away with a lot of shoving and little nudges etc on SU players. I reckon they bullied the Div 1 team, to an extent (largely ineffectively because SU got what the went there for, with only a one goal deficit). In a way, Spurs players were just that bit stronger in most encounters but on numerous occasions, I would have hoped and expected a foul to be given had it been against a Walsall player. Don't get me wrong, SU were no angels, but I believe what I have just written.
Oh, and the ref bottled sending off Adebayor, too. I've no doubt whatsoever that if a Sheef player had done what he did, he'd have been off (away player, see).
:wink:

Sadders
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:47 pm

Anybody else get butterflies at even the thought of the game?

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:50 pm

Sadders wrote:Anybody else get butterflies at even the thought of the game?

Yes,I don't think I'll even bother trying to sleep Monday night. Might come back into work at bedtime and work through the night, so I have cleared the decks allowing an early arrival at Yates Tuesday lunchtime :mrgreen:

Cuzo24
Glitterati

Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:19 pm

I've managed to get half day at work Tuesday. So can head to Yates at a decent hour.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:25 pm

Parking will be a nightmare. Think I'll give this one a miss.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:38 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:Parking will be a nightmare. Think I'll give this one a miss.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=otXGqU4LBEI

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:09 am

Preston have signed Daniel Johnson on a 2 and a half year deal. Is he cup tied from Chesterfield or Oldham? If not I'd be worried as he's a cracking player.

EDIT: He did play for Chesterfield in it :D

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:32 am

our 10 days off worries me, will we come out rested or rusty ?

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:32 pm

No rust problems here, I've remained well-oiled since the first leg...

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:17 pm

Leatherman wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:Parking will be a nightmare. Think I'll give this one a miss.

With a picture of the Pretenders :lol:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:47 am

aaaae wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

With a picture of the Pretenders :lol:

Who do you think took the photograph? :D

Next
Return to 2014-15 Season