Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester Utd (A) League One Jan 17th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Colchester Utd (A) League One Jan 17th, 3pm

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:01 pm

Travelling this afternoon so didn't listen to sadsworld.

2_0 win :D

Presumably we were very lucky

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:03 pm

Although we're only 3 points away from the play-offs, other results have pushed us back down to 14th place in the table. The tightness of this League can be seen by the fact that we are in a bunch of 9 teams separated by only 3 points !!! :shock:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:08 pm

Yes the league is very close. Its a good job we keep getting these lucky wins :D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:08 pm

Unbeaten in 6 league games away from home.

Cain and Forde weighing in with goals.

Another away clean sheet [after an early injury too!]

Three points off 6th place.

It does make the home losses to Coventry and Scunthorpe look even more ridiculous than they do already.

Still, onto the JPT...and UTS :D

UTS Legend

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:10 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:That`s another good result away from home. Pity it has not been repeated at home, yet!

Last 3 away games 0 goals conceded. Last 3 home games 10 goals conceded.

Go figure, as they say.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:13 pm

Didn't hear anything about Taylor being injured... he'd just been booked so maybe Smith wanted to make sure he was available for the Preston game.

UTS Legend

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:20 pm

cumbria-saddler wrote:Didn't hear anything about Taylor being injured... he'd just been booked so maybe Smith wanted to make sure he was available for the Preston game.

According to the BBC:

83' Substitution
Substitution, Walsall. Rico Henry replaces Andy Taylor because of an injury.

JAL-WFC

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:22 pm

Any chance we can sack Smith for home games and keep him for away games?

SMITHOUT at the Bezzla

SMITHIN everywhere else

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:29 pm

Good result, but it does nothing but keep us mediocre, typical Dean Smith.

Good result, bad result, good result, bad result...ad nauseam

SWS1

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:30 pm

JAL-WFC wrote:Any chance we can sack Smith for home games and keep him for away games?

SMITHOUT at the Bezzla

SMITHIN everywhere else

:lol:

Deeee-lighted to see this great win after our abysmal home form. :D Shipping 10 goals in 3 home games but keeping clean sheets away is ludicrous. Can someone wiser than me who actually attends home and away games explain it to me? :?
Although it dow look good, perhaps we should play our counter-attacking style at home and acknowledge that our home formation is, it seems, c_rap. :mrgreen:

UTS Legend

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:32 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Good result, but it does nothing but keep us mediocre, typical Dean Smith.

Perhaps we should arrange a friendly before the JPT game.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:32 pm

Walsallone wrote:Yes the league is very close. Its a good job we keep getting these lucky wins :D

Its a pity about the unlucky defeats though. :wink:

Happy tonight
Lucky win by SMITHOUT thanks to my lucky jumper - tick
Five fold accumulator - tick
Completed design in one day - tick
Glass of Merlot - tick
Evening out with Mrs Cully - tick

REMINDER - Insure lucky jumper against fire and theft on Monday

SWS1

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:34 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Good result, but it does nothing but keep us mediocre, typical Dean Smith.

Someone did point out last season that win-lose-win-lose gets you more points than grinding out draws and losing sometimes, like we have done on occasions in the past. Where does 72 points leave you at the end of the season?? :?:
Ay it interestin' followin' Worsul? :?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:43 pm

SWS1 wrote:

Someone did point out last season that win-lose-win-lose gets you more points than grinding out draws and losing sometimes, like we have done on occasions in the past. Where does 72 points leave you at the end of the season?? :?:

Dean Smith isn't capable of managing a team to 23 league wins in a season, he's proved that 3 times.

What he is capable of is being mediocre and achieving about 12 wins, 12 draws and 12 defeats, giving a total of 48 points, enough to avoid relegation, but nothing more.

Well done Dean!!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:44 pm

If you were a fan of Peterbrough, Notts County, Fleetwood, Chestefield, Vale, Oldham etc you'd be saying the same thing. No team in mid table can go on a run. 6th is there for the taking this year seeing as Bradford lost to bottom team Yeovil today.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:46 pm

SWS1 wrote:
JAL-WFC wrote:Any chance we can sack Smith for home games and keep him for away games?

SMITHOUT at the Bezzla

SMITHIN everywhere else

Deeee-lighted to see this great win after our abysmal home form. :D Shipping 10 goals in 3 home games but keeping clean sheets away is ludicrous. Can someone wiser than me who actually attends home and away games explain it to me? :?
Although it dow look good, perhaps we should play our counter-attacking style at home and acknowledge that our home formation is, it seems, c_rap. :mrgreen:

We are crap at home and good away, hope that clears things up for you :D

JAL-WFC

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:48 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
SWS1 wrote:

Dean Smith isn't capable of managing a team to 23 league wins in a season, he's proved that 3 times.

What he is capable of is being mediocre and achieving about 12 wins, 12 draws and 12 defeats, giving a total of 48 points, enough to avoid relegation, but nothing more.

Well done Dean!!

Historically, Walsall are potentially the most 'mediocre' football league team you could ever support. I suggest its quite a good fit to be honest

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:49 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
SWS1 wrote:

Well done Dean!!

No wonder we can't get out of this league when we play 10 games less than everyone else

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:54 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
SWS1 wrote:

Well done Dean!!

No wonder we can't get out of this league when we play 10 games less than everyone else

:lol: :lol: :lol: so wish I had spotted that first :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by IHTC. on Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:54 pm

As Phil clearly enjoys posting the same thing on every single match thread, I shall repeat this inane, boring behaviour. Walsall is a mediocre club, Phil. :roll:

Great lucky win today, this away form strikes me as pure luck, the way we are repeating it every away game etc....

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:09 pm

IHTC. wrote:
SWS1 wrote:

SMITHOUT at the Bezzla

SMITHIN everywhere else

We are crap at home and good away, hope that clears things up for you :D

In all honesty, I think we set up to play counter attack at home anyway. The difference is the other team are pretty happy to sit back too. That's why the first goal at Bescot is so crucial. We score, the other team have to come out and play, letting us counter attack like we'd want to. They score it and we have to go looking for a goal, leaving us more open at the back

That's my observation anyway, but I usually talk schizer!!

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:54 pm

By all accounts, it seems like we won "ugly", and beat some relegation fodder, two things we've been struggling with all season, and that the team (and Smith) have been criticised for failing to do. Plentiful reason to be cheerful in itself.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:46 pm

saddler_nic wrote:That's why the first goal at Bescot is so crucial.

First goal? now where have I heard this before???

Anyway, what did happen to Dumbo Tempo Halitosis?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:53 pm

Wragbyred wrote:

I think he transmogrified into 'sallian.........

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:00 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Wragbyred wrote:

I think he transmogrified into 'sallian.........

Me too...

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:45 pm

Would it be possible to switch the Preston game to the Hawthorns or the Molineux on the grounds of we've got too many ticket sales for our place?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:16 pm

Interested to hear reports from those who were there, but that was probably the least surprising good result of our season - if that makes sense. We're the epitome of a mid-table League One side at the moment. We might have shown ourselves to bottle it whenever we've got within touching distance of the playoffs, but we also have a pretty good record of not suffering two bad results in a row.

Another thing that feels a little strange to say is how good it is to score two, and win, without Bradshaw having his name on the scoresheet. Don't get me wrong, he's class, but if we've got any chance of finishing above halfway, the likes of Forde, Sawyers, Cain, and Cook need to score more regularly.
Last edited by WFC_Rob on Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:25 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Interested to hear reports from those who were there, but that was probably the least surprising good result of our season - if that makes sense. We're the epitome of a mid-table League One side at the moment. We might have shown ourselves to bottle it whenever we've got within touching distance of the playoffs, but we also have a pretty good record of not suffering two bad results in a row.

Another thing that feels a little strange to say is how good it is to score two, and win, without Hradshaw having his name on the scoresheet. Don't get me wrong, he's class, but if we've got any chance of finishing above halfway, the likes of Forde, Sawyers, Cain, and Cook need to score more regularly.

Sums it up really. We've probably got the players in a mediocre division, as long as our sole effective striker stays fit, for a play-off run, but it might be beyond the aptitude of our players and possibly the tactical nous of our manager. Jury's still out on that even 4 years down the line, but at least we play football.

Still, in the words of my fave "Rejoice, rejoice". It's a start and at least there won't be 15 pages of cack filling the message board tonight.

SWS1

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:41 pm

God, it's hard supporting Walsall. Joy-despair-joy-despair.
Mind you, I'll forgive everything this season for a trip to Wembley and no regelation :D

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:46 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
SWS1 wrote:

Well done Dean!!

If only we had you at the helm Phil to show the football managerial world how it's done.

Surprised you bother with such a morbid type of support, you strike me as someone who is a hermit and self harms

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season