Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Preston North End (A) F.L. Trophy 1st leg 7th Jan 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Preston North End (A) F.L. Trophy 1st leg 7th Jan 7.45pm

Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:42 pm

Oh, and it says much for the way the game went that O'Donnell was named man of the match.........

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:43 pm

Had to watch at work and I think I gave my clients a heart attack with my screaming :D

I bloody love this club

If DS gets us to Wembley he should be given the freedom of Walsall :D

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:44 pm

Glad I recorded it. I can keep f/forwarding to the last ten minutes.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:44 pm

Come back, PNETHOR...........all is forgiven !!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:45 pm

Sore throat from screaming in excitement. Wet seat from all the jizz. So Happy.

Uts!

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:49 pm

If we play like the second half we'll be ok in the second leg. Much sharper.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:51 pm

Very proud Saddler tonight. Let's finish the job boys :D

Ghostofwalsallpast
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:57 pm

ChopperWFC wrote:Very proud Saddler tonight. Let's finish the job boys :D

Spot on!!

Ghostofwalsallpast
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:58 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Come back, PNETHOR...........all is forgiven !!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I hope he's on Suicide Watch, wouldn't want him to come to any harm now :mrgreen:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:01 pm

What a magnificent result! well done lads....don't we always do it the Worsul way Eh!
I gave the neighbours a heart attack with my screams of delight as the goals went in after eventually getting on to Sky for the second half!
Come on me babbies, let me get to Wembley before I cark!
UTS for ever...

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:02 pm

Went utter fudge bonkers in my living room. Thats what you call digging in, fudge huge balls. Richard O Donnell should get the freedom of Walsall if we dont fudge it up.

Bradshaw had nowt to do all game, feeding off terrible service, but boy is this bloke class. Should have had a pen for me, but he megged the keeper, sexual Thomas.

I thought we had large spells in the game where we were really poor. Midfield was not great all night. Cain especially.

O Connor was superb. So was O Donnell, Downing much better second half.

Beckford felt charitable tonight.

Who cares.

WALSALL FC FROM THE BLACK COUNTRY

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:03 pm

Good god what a torrid first half hour that was.

There was no central midfield to speak of and PNE were getting crosses in at will. The concept of actually marking a striker in the box also appeared to be beyond Chambers and Downing.

How PNE never scored in that period was incredible, brilliant save from ROD on the first, second was straight at him so more about reactions.

After that much more even. Indeed as the second half wore on I thought Walsall could nick it. That was a nailed on penalty on Bradshaw.

Unbelievable to win this 2 nil. In a great position. However important to start the second leg on the front foot. Being nervous and tentative and gifting PNE an early goal and the tie is right back in the balance again.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:03 pm

What a strange, strange side we are!!

Wonderful result but still only half time.

Bradshaw is already a Saddlers legend.

The Walsall supporters sang from start to finish. Like those FA/League/Milk Cup 'old school' atmospheres of old.

Ebanks-Blake is a fat git.

8,000+ Saddlers will miraculously appear for the second leg.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:04 pm

Games of two halves. First half we could have been 3-0 down, 2nd half we bossed them. We're set up perfectly for away games against better sides, we ride our luck and wait for an opening.

Just a shame Dean thinks that works at home!

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:06 pm

YES YES YES YES YES YES

Sorry I've tried to think of well thought-out, balanced, level headed thoughts but I just can't at the moment!

YES YES YES YESSSSS!!!!!!

Been ill all week and screamed the house down when those two beauties went in.

To conclude;

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not even Phil can bring me down......must be a good one!!
Last edited by funk_hits_the_fan on Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

saddla
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:07 pm

I had to buy a Spaniard a drink down our local to convince him that watching The saddlers was better than an Athletico v Real Madrid cup game. It was worth a pint of Stella!
90 mins from Wembley!

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:08 pm

Miles better second half, didn't think we were that great but we won more as Smith said, got more of the ball and pressed higher. Fine margins, but a beautiful free kick and then some proper number 9 awareness from Bradshaw to score us the goals. Fans were great, looked ace when we scored, wish I'd been able to be there. Thought O'Connor was awful in the 1st half and miles better in the second half, same with Chambers, Downing and Taylor. Cook had a quiet night, Chambers and Cain were painfully bad first half, much better second. Sawyers a bit hit and miss but did very well for our free kick, Bradshaw was tireless - what a man!

Forde, before he scored his free kick I thought, was our best outfield player. Got stuck in, delivered the ball well and just generally looked quite classy in possession. Super duper WFC! Let's not throw it away in true Walsall style second leg, should be looking at a potential 8k+ gate?

Not bad for a bunch of bottlers huh? :arrow: :lol: :D

UTS!!!!

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:09 pm

Best team second half. defence looked good. Forde capped a good performance with a great goal. Bradshaw mentioned in the same sentence as Agquero.
Ebanks-Blake looked like an out of condition overweight version of Manset!

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:17 pm

Bax deserves a mention, for harassing the defender into under-hitting his back pass.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:22 pm

Wow! What a team performance! O'Donnell first half and the outfield players second half. Coooooooooooome Onnnnn!

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:24 pm

Its just like the old days , mid table superocrity win 4-0 lose 3-0 , cup run , a striker to call our own , a manager who lasts more than 30 minutes in the job, I love this club

SWS1

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:25 pm

What a great result. O'Donnel deserved his MOM for his first half performance: didn't have much to do second half. I smiled away at half time as we were one goalkeeper away from being 2 or 3 down. Second half, they actually didn't get much of a look in: whatever Smithout/Smithin said and did at half time worked. We were the better team but still frustratingly inclined to play in front of the opposition instead of getting at them. Very disappointed at the INCONSISTENCY of the ref who was otherwise quite good. Denied Bradders a definite penalty, then no card when he (?) was pulled down on his way to goal, then carded O'Connor for a similar but, arguably, lesser offence a few minutes later.
Still, as always, who gives a monkeys after a great win like that. Onwards and upwards. Don't know whether I would trade a top 6 finish for a trip to Wembley but, luckily, it ain't on offer. We could manage both if we can string together results like that :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Notice I said

IF :mrgreen:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:27 pm

SWS1 wrote:What a great result. O'Donnel deserved his MOM for his first half performance: didn't have much to do second half. I smiled away at half time as we were one goalkeeper away from being 2 or 3 down. Second half, they actually didn't get much of a look in: whatever Smithout/Smithin said and did at half time worked. We were the better team but still frustratingly inclined to play in front of the opposition instead of getting at them. Very disappointed at the INCONSISTECY of the ref who was otherwise quite good. Denied Bradders a definite penalty, then no card when he (?) was pulled down on his way to goal, then carded O'Connor for a similar but, arguably, lesser offence a few minutes later.
Still, as always, who gives a monkeys after a great win like that. Onwards and upwards. Don't know whether I would trade a top 6 finish for a trip to Wembley but, luckily, it ain't on offer. We could manage both if we can string together results like that :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Notice I said

He could have given them a penalty in the first half when Chambers kicked Beckford in the face

m&m
Glitterati

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:30 pm

Stunning result!
Please do this!
Don't are about the result I'm the final just want to get there .

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:31 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
SWS1 wrote:What a great result. O'Donnel deserved his MOM for his first half performance: didn't have much to do second half. I smiled away at half time as we were one goalkeeper away from being 2 or 3 down. Second half, they actually didn't get much of a look in: whatever Smithout/Smithin said and did at half time worked. We were the better team but still frustratingly inclined to play in front of the opposition instead of getting at them. Very disappointed at the INCONSISTECY of the ref who was otherwise quite good. Denied Bradders a definite penalty, then no card when he (?) was pulled down on his way to goal, then carded O'Connor for a similar but, arguably, lesser offence a few minutes later.

Notice I said

He could have given them a penalty in the first half when Chambers kicked Beckford in the face

Can't agree with that......Beckford has the sort of face that needs a good kicking, if only to shut his mouth up - it's been a long time since I saw anyone complain during a game as much as he did.

On the subject of Wembley Neil - have you booked a family-sized room, with spare beds for Welsh residents??? :wink:

SWS1

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:33 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

Notice I said

True but I don't think that was as clear - he went for the ball and Beckford did go rather low. Bradshaw's seemed much clearer to me (especially on replay, which the ref don't get1 :D )

SWS1

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:34 pm

If we get to Wembley, does that mean Swindon will be postponed?

BEIRLYND

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:36 pm

Thought second half performance was awesome, almost perfect tactically. Downing seemed overawed in first half but recovered really well second half. Wish O'Donnell would command his 6 yard box but great saves. Forde's best game so far. Well done lads. Should I book my hotel in London yet?

m&m
Glitterati

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:37 pm

The 900 odd who went tonight were incredible!
For the entire 90 mins on sky all you could hear were our lot.
Well done to every one who could make it on a cold Wednesday night in the first week of January.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:38 pm

Just back from my mates house (he has s**) great performance, I said to my lad after 70 minutes to I'd settle for 0-0, but I'd love us to nick a goal, and we nicked two! Well done to the boys and Deano.

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season