Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Preston North End (A) F.L. Trophy 1st leg 7th Jan 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
UTS Legend

Re: Preston North End (A) F.L. Trophy 1st leg 7th Jan 7.45pm

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:41 pm

SWS1 wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
SWS1 wrote:What a great result. O'Donnel deserved his MOM for his first half performance: didn't have much to do second half. I smiled away at half time as we were one goalkeeper away from being 2 or 3 down. Second half, they actually didn't get much of a look in: whatever Smithout/Smithin said and did at half time worked. We were the better team but still frustratingly inclined to play in front of the opposition instead of getting at them. Very disappointed at the INCONSISTECY of the ref who was otherwise quite good. Denied Bradders a definite penalty, then no card when he (?) was pulled down on his way to goal, then carded O'Connor for a similar but, arguably, lesser offence a few minutes later.
Still, as always, who gives a monkeys after a great win like that. Onwards and upwards. Don't know whether I would trade a top 6 finish for a trip to Wembley but, luckily, it ain't on offer. We could manage both if we can string together results like that :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Notice I said

IF :mrgreen:

He could have given them a penalty in the first half when Chambers kicked Beckford in the face

True but I don't think that was as clear - he went for the ball and Beckford did go rather low. Bradshaw's seemed much clearer to me (especially on replay, which the ref don't get1 :D )

The commentator said Bradshaw was lucky not to get booked for diving...

Rad Sled

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:42 pm

The determination not to settle for the 0-0 was everything for us at the end,
Not the best performance but the effort was top notch,
Bring on the Home leg, COME ON YOU SADDLERS!!!!

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:49 pm

BEIRLYND wrote:Thought second half performance was awesome, almost perfect tactically. Downing seemed overawed in first half but recovered really well second half. Wish O'Donnell would command his 6 yard box but great saves. Forde's best game so far. Well done lads. Should I book my hotel in London yet?

NO

Massively plausible for us to fudge this up.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:50 pm

Showed real heart tonight, when we were battered, we dug in. Never give up, Walsall boys.

Its hugely possible we will fudge up, but i hope they show the same fight as tonight.

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:50 pm

m&m wrote:Stunning result!
Please do this!
Don't are about the result I'm the final just want to get there .

My thoughts exactly

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:51 pm

Sadders wrote:Miles better second half, didn't think we were that great but we won more as Smith said, got more of the ball and pressed higher. Fine margins, but a beautiful free kick and then some proper number 9 awareness from Bradshaw to score us the goals. Fans were great, looked ace when we scored, wish I'd been able to be there. Thought O'Connor was awful in the 1st half and miles better in the second half, same with Chambers, Downing and Taylor. Cook had a quiet night, Chambers and Cain were painfully bad first half, much better second. Sawyers a bit hit and miss but did very well for our free kick, Bradshaw was tireless - what a man!

Forde, before he scored his free kick I thought, was our best outfield player. Got stuck in, delivered the ball well and just generally looked quite classy in possession. Super duper WFC! Let's not throw it away in true Walsall style second leg, should be looking at a potential 8k+ gate?

Not bad for a bunch of bottlers huh? :arrow: :lol: :D

UTS!!!!

So much for you 4/5 -0 loss prediction ay sadlerad great away support as well I thought, you shouldn't need them anti depressants tonight ar kid,

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:54 pm

Not to count chickens yet!!!!
But I looked on Wembley Stadiums website checking out disabled parking??
The JPT final isn't mentioned ???
:?

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:55 pm

latviancheese wrote:Showed real heart tonight, when we were battered, we dug in. Never give up, Walsall boys.

Its hugely possible we will fudge up, but i hope they show the same fight as tonight.

With our recent penalty record and ROD between the sticks, we can afford to gift them two goals.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:01 pm

saddlerphil wrote:Not to count chickens yet!!!!
But I looked on Wembley Stadiums website checking out disabled parking??
The JPT final isn't mentioned ???
:?

:lol: Yes I had always assumed it was at Wembley without ever checking. It is at Wembley though.

http://www.wembleystadium.com/Events/2015/JPT/JPT

It would be typical for it to be relocated to somewhere like Selhurst Park because of a one direction concert or similar.

Look at me all negative. What a great night ! :D :D :D :D :D

Proud to be a saddler

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:07 pm

Excellent result and two excellent goals

However, Walsall did not play well...allowed Preston many crosses/chances....and O Donnel saved them with great saves.

Perhaps improved the defence in 2nd half but still hardly anything was being created.

Sawyers is slow and SHOULD NOT be preferd over Baxendale who immediately makes things happen with his energy, close control and quick tricks.....He should be played in position...behind the TWO strikers.

Why bring on Baxo with only 10mins left?!!! And why bring Grimes on with NO TIME left....?! No wonder the poor guy can't score.

Really feel for Grimes....he should be alongside Bradshaw....the result would likely be more goals for Bradshaw and Grimes....very frustrating

Walsall could be doing alot better if they just made these two changes....they would score alot more its obvious.

So many times Bradshaw was stranded, and spare balls went to Preston when Grimes could have been on to them....or Cook if he had been put central.

Again alot of sideways and backwards passing into harmless space...and many lofted balls straight to Preston.

Preston on the other hand were sharp and fast coming forward and went forward in 4 and five man attacks.....something that Walsall were not doing, every time Walsall had a break they screwd it up with two many passes and dithering on the ball

Walsall do not move forward quickly and do not get men joining attack quick, and much of that caused by only having one central outlet in the first place.

Not enough running off ball from Walsall.

Defended well as a team at stages. Thie tie certainly isn't over.

Really like Dean Smith and the Walsall players they seem like a good bunch of boys, PLEASE DEANO make the adjustments which eould make them much more efective! We have good players...they neeed to be used properly.

PT
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:09 pm

Just back. What a night. I've probably done over 1,000 Walsall games and this feels like a top ten moment.

One reason was our support. A proper thousand odd. Sang our hearts out. Hope it came across on the box.

Odonnell - unbelievable.

Two great goals.

A night when you remember why you do it, why you travel all over the place on cack roads to cack places, why you went to Rochdale in the first round, why despite all logic you think that this might be our year, why some blokes you've been on nodding terms for three decades become like brothers as you dance and sing because you know that even if we get to Wembley, even if we win at Wembley, the odds are that the people around you haven't felt the pain, haven't suffered in the trenches of Colchester away or Maidstone, Halifax or Crawley and therefore why on a night like tonight it all comes rushing out in one dizzy, heady rush of emotion that only football can give and only real football fans can understand.

Love you Walsall

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:10 pm

Also I was shouting so loud when the goals went in...I started seeing stars...frustration built up from many years

and TWO GOALS!!!! write it down in record books!

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:12 pm

sallian wrote:Excellent result and two excellent goals

However, Walsall did not play well...allowed Preston many crosses/chances....and O Donnel saved them with great saves.

Perhaps improved the defence in 2nd half but still hardly anything was being created.

Sawyers is slow and SHOULD NOT be preferd over Baxendale who immediately makes things happen with his energy, close control and quick tricks.....He should be played in position...behind the TWO strikers.

Why bring on Baxo with only 10mins left?!!! And why bring Grimes on with NO TIME left....?! No wonder the poor guy can't score.

Really feel for Grimes....he should be alongside Bradshaw....the result would likely be more goals for Bradshaw and Grimes....very frustrating

Walsall could be doing alot better if they just made these two changes....they would score alot more its obvious.

So many times Bradshaw was stranded, and spare balls went to Preston when Grimes could have been on to them....or Cook if he had been put central.

Again alot of sideways and backwards passing into harmless space...and many lofted balls straight to Preston.

Preston on the other hand were sharp and fast coming forward and went forward in 4 and five man attacks.....something that Walsall were not doing, every time Walsall had a break they screwd it up with two many passes and dithering on the ball

Walsall do not move forward quickly and do not get men joining attack quick, and much of that caused by only having one central outlet in the first place.

Really like Dean Smith and the Walsall players they seem like a good bunch of boys, PLEASE DEANO make the adjustments which eould make them much more efective! We have good players...they neeed to be used properly.

Who cares??? What the hell is wrong with you?

The difference between your post and the post directly below from PT just about sums up everything I need to know about you. Go away.....please!!
Last edited by funk_hits_the_fan on Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:12 pm

There's just no pleasing some people, is there? :roll:

As far as the match statistics are concerned, we had LESS attempts on goal than Preston, LESS on target, WAY LESS corners, and we won 0-2. (Which blows 'sallian's basic teachings completely out of the water).

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:14 pm

PT wrote:One reason was our support. A proper thousand odd. Sang our hearts out. Hope it came across on the box.

All you could hear, proper stuff.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:17 pm

Sallian makes some relevant points. We could change our game slightly to make ourselves more dynamic.

However tonight is not the night to be posting long lists of things we didn't do right. Tonight is for celebrating and enjoying a WIN that puts us closer to Wembley than we've ever been before in our history.

Save the tactical critique for the next time we blow up at home.

Twelthofapenny
UTS Regular

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:18 pm

If we won 6-0, people'd still find some excuse to complain!

It's no wonder it's taken us this long to get so close to both Wembley, and MAYBE some sliver ware!

Ghostofwalsallpast
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:18 pm

sallian wrote:Excellent result and two excellent goals

PRESTON 0:2 WALSALL

That's ALL that matters in a Cup Competition

UTS Legend

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:20 pm

Last edited by Guest on Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:20 pm

tinned wrote:

Many years of following Walsall tempts me to say "in the return leg?" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (but I won't) :D

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:23 pm

otiswfc wrote:
Sadders wrote:Miles better second half, didn't think we were that great but we won more as Smith said, got more of the ball and pressed higher. Fine margins, but a beautiful free kick and then some proper number 9 awareness from Bradshaw to score us the goals. Fans were great, looked ace when we scored, wish I'd been able to be there. Thought O'Connor was awful in the 1st half and miles better in the second half, same with Chambers, Downing and Taylor. Cook had a quiet night, Chambers and Cain were painfully bad first half, much better second. Sawyers a bit hit and miss but did very well for our free kick, Bradshaw was tireless - what a man!

Forde, before he scored his free kick I thought, was our best outfield player. Got stuck in, delivered the ball well and just generally looked quite classy in possession. Super duper WFC! Let's not throw it away in true Walsall style second leg, should be looking at a potential 8k+ gate?

Not bad for a bunch of bottlers huh? :arrow: :lol: :D

UTS!!!!

So much for you 4/5 -0 loss prediction ay sadlerad great away support as well I thought, you shouldn't need them anti depressants tonight ar kid,

That's Ironic coming from a 'Smithout' to a 'happy clapper'... but I'll let you off after tonight. Good old bit of reverse Pyschology never hurt anybody! Support was great, all you could hear over the TV - wish I'd been able to be there. Being credited by PNE fans too.
Last edited by Sadders on Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:25 pm

PT wrote:Just back. What a night. I've probably done over 1,000 Walsall games and this feels like a top ten moment.

One reason was our support. A proper thousand odd. Sang our hearts out. Hope it came across on the box.

Odonnell - unbelievable.

Two great goals.

A night when you remember why you do it, why you travel all over the place on cack roads to cack places, why you went to Rochdale in the first round, why despite all logic you think that this might be our year, why some blokes you've been on nodding terms for three decades become like brothers as you dance and sing because you know that even if we get to Wembley, even if we win at Wembley, the odds are that the people around you haven't felt the pain, haven't suffered in the trenches of Colchester away or Maidstone, Halifax or Crawley and therefore why on a night like tonight it all comes rushing out in one dizzy, heady rush of emotion that only football can give and only real football fans can understand.

Love you Walsall

I love this post !

Twelthofapenny
UTS Regular

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:27 pm

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:29 pm

tinned wrote:Sallian makes some relevant points. We could change our game slightly to make ourselves more dynamic.

However tonight is not the night to be posting long lists of things we didn't do right. Tonight is for celebrating and enjoying a WIN that puts us closer to Wembley than we've ever been before in our history.

Sallian is not a supporter - he is a wind up merchant.

Anybody that feels passionate about Walsall or any other team would not be able to post that drivel having just taken one step closer to Wembley.

PT's post is that of a supporter and there are plenty of others above. You seem to be half agreeing with someone that has no interest in the fortunes of Walsall FC tinned?

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:31 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
tinned wrote:Sallian makes some relevant points. We could change our game slightly to make ourselves more dynamic.

Anybody that feels passionate about Walsall or any other team would not be able to post that drivel having just taken one step closer to Wembley.

PT's post is that of a supporter and there are plenty of others above. You seem to be half agreeing with someone that has no interest in the fortunes of Walsall FC tinned?

I've clearly stated I think his post is ill-timed.

Some of his points of how we could improve our play have some validity, just not tonight.

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:32 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:There's just no pleasing some people, is there? :roll:

As far as the match statistics are concerned, we had LESS attempts on goal than Preston, LESS on target, WAY LESS corners, and we won 0-2. (Which blows 'sallian's basic teachings completely out of the water).

Do the same statistical analysis over a season and see if it blows it out of the water as seeing as RATIONALLY YOU HAVE TO TAKE MORE SHOTS TO SCORE MORE GOALS!!!

I don't put the tactical formation points for sake of arguing....I put them based on my honest analysis and I want the team to do well...

If anyone thinks I was not celebrating then you need to see me when Walsall score....I bet there is not a more violently explosively emotional celebration to be found among all Walsall supporters....I almost always end up with some injuries because of it in addition to some stares of unease and no doubt hidden judgements of lunacy from onlookers.

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:36 pm

tinned wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

I've clearly stated I think his post is ill-timed.

Some of his points of how we could improve our play have some validity, just not tonight.

How old are you, out of interest funk?

Were you supporting Walsall during their period at bottom of 2nd division in 1980s? where Walsall had 15 losses in a row?

I have a relative...who now passed away who was one of Walsall's best players also, in a time when they wrre struggling.

You are the one who sounds like the phony to me.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:40 pm

sallian wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:There's just no pleasing some people, is there? :roll:

Do the same statistical analysis over a season and see if it blows it out of the water as seeing as RATIONALLY YOU HAVE TO TAKE MORE SHOTS TO SCORE MORE GOALS!!!

I don't put the tactical formation points for sake of arguing....I put them based on my honest analysis and I want the team to do well...

If anyone thinks I was not celebrating then you need to see me when Walsall score....I bet there is not a more violently explosively emotional celebration to be found among all Walsall supporters....I almost always end up with some injuries because of it in addition to some stares of unease and no doubt hidden judgements of lunacy from onlookers.

Your not celebrating Sallian - your on here point scoring with your ridiculous posts that I am surprised many read past the second paragraph.

You've proved to me even further tonight exactly what you are & I have no interest in anything you have to say. A pathetic wind up merchant is not going to take the gloss off tonight. I have nothing to say to you about my age, my past or anything else for that matter. Just to be clear.

Anyway back to Walsall FC related matters; Ebanks-Blake looked like he had won a competition down the local pub to play for the last ten minutes! Oh how I laughed when he waddled on the pitch! I'm sure some on here wanted to sign him at one point - glad we didn't!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:45 pm

I went absolutely batshit when that 2nd went in! Amazing result.

Bradshaw is a legend. 1 chance 1 goal. Clinical

How can people say that was a penalty? Bradshaw went down far too easily and probably should have been booked.

Either way, buzzing my tits off!!

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:48 pm

has anyone else on this forum ever met funk at a match or does anyone know who he is in real life (I don't need to know who he is) I just want to verify from one of the more intelligent members on this forum that he actually is a Walsall supporter.

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season