Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Preston North End (A) F.L. Trophy 1st leg 7th Jan 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Preston North End (A) F.L. Trophy 1st leg 7th Jan 7.45pm

Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:41 pm

We embark on a two-legged regional final of the Football League Trophy, with a Wembley appearance the winner's prize. The last time we played Preston was back in September when Andy Butler re-joined us for a brief loan period, and we won 3-1 with goals from Bradshaw, Downing and Sawyers. Preston's current form is pretty good, unbeaten in their last six League One games, and dumping Norwich City out of the F.A. Cup yesterday. Form details:

13 Dec M K Dons (H) Drew 1-1
16 Dec Notts County (A) Won 0-1 (F.A. Trophy)
20 Dec Peterborough (A) Won 0-1
26 Dec Barnsley (H) Won 1-0
28 Dec Crewe Alex (A) Drew 1-1
3 Jan Norwich City (H) Won 2-0 (F.A. Cup)

Preston (rather like ourselves) have found scoring goals somewhat difficult - the last time they managed to score 3 in a League game was on November 1st, and the signing of Ebanks-Blake on a free transfer until the end of the season is intended to try and meet that shortfall. He came on as an 86th minute sub against Norwich. Joe Garner is still their top scorer with 11 goals, despite not having played since late November when he sustained the tendon injury that was estimated to keep him out for four months. Paul Gallagher has 6 goals to his name, and he got both goals against Norwich.

A lot will depend (as always!!) on which Walsall team turns up.....Jordan Cook's "illness" kept him out of the Coventry game, and Sam Mantom doesn't look to be ready for a return just yet. A positive aspect for this game is that we haven't lost away against a League One side since October 21st, so I will stick my neck out and forecast a 1-1 draw at Deepdale.......... :D

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Re: Preston North End (A) F.L. Trophy 1st leg 7th Jan 7.45pm

Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:52 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:We embark on a two-legged regional final of the Football League Trophy, with a Wembley appearance the winner's prize. The last time we played Preston was back in September when Andy Butler re-joined us for a brief loan period, and we won 3-1 with goals from Bradshaw, Downing and Sawyers. Preston's current form is pretty good, unbeaten in their last six League One games, and dumping Norwich City out of the F.A. Cup yesterday. Form details:

Preston (rather like ourselves) have found scoring goals somewhat difficult - the last time they managed to score 3 in a League game was on November 1st, and the signing of Ebanks-Blake on a free transfer until the end of the season is intended to try and meet that shortfall. He came on as an 86th minute sub against Norwich. Joe Garner is still their top scorer with 11 goals, despite not having played since late November when he sustained the tendon injury that was estimated to keep him out for four months. Paul Gallagher has 6 goals to his name, and he got both goals against Norwich.

A lot will depend (as always!!) on which Walsall team turns up.....Jordan Cook's "illness" kept him out of the Coventry game, and Sam Mantom doesn't look to be ready for a return just yet. A positive aspect for this game is that we haven't lost away against a League One side since October 21st, so I will stick my neck out and forecast a 1-1 draw at Deepdale.......... :D

I'm watching this one on sky. Muchos Respectos to those who make the journey.

I think we will draw 1-1 and I'll be happy with that.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:18 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:We embark on a two-legged regional final of the Football League Trophy, with a Wembley appearance the winner's prize. The last time we played Preston was back in September when Andy Butler re-joined us for a brief loan period, and we won 3-1 with goals from Bradshaw, Downing and Sawyers. Preston's current form is pretty good, unbeaten in their last six League One games, and dumping Norwich City out of the F.A. Cup yesterday. Form details:

Not with our home record I won't....

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:59 am

This has to rank as the foremost 'lambs to the slaughter ' matches that we will face this year, just like the Dongs fixture where the bookies were just offering odds on how many they would beat us by!
So, with 'sods law' and doing it the 'Worsul way' we will probably get some kind of result, also based
on the probability that Preston will play their reserves against us.........then comes the home leg, bet Preston will be rubbing their hands for that one, being as how we have lost our last two games and let in 6 goals in the process!
However, with utmost optimism I hope we get to Wemberrrrly, despite our obvious limitations! :?

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:48 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:This has to rank as the foremost 'lambs to the slaughter ' matches that we will face this year, just like the Dongs fixture where the bookies were just offering odds on how many they would beat us by!
So, with 'sods law' and doing it the 'Worsul way' we will probably get some kind of result, also based
on the probability that Preston will play their reserves against us.........then comes the home leg, bet Preston will be rubbing their hands for that one, being as how we have lost our last two games and let in 6 goals in the process!
However, with utmost optimism I hope we get to Wemberrrrly, despite our obvious limitations! :?

The live feed on the Beeb kept harping on that Preston were resting playings against Norwich as this match was a bigger priority. Preston are a bit of a steam roller at the moment, that being said I really hope we can do this - we need it more!!

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:18 pm

ShyTallKnight wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:

Not with our home record I won't....

Exactly!

paddy
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:27 pm

heart says we'll sneak a win by the odd goal, head says we'll get done by a couple of goals :cry: :cry:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:00 pm

God knows how we'll do in this one. If Cook starts then you never know, but I'll have to go with form and say PNE to shade it 2-1, with plenty to play for in the return leg under the lights for a potentially memorable night at WS1.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:23 pm

Whatever happens, I'd suggest a 2-1 defeat is par.
A 1-0 defeat would be slightly worse.
Anything heavier than 2-0 and we'd be really struggling in the 2nd leg, I feel.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:47 pm

Been says we are without Cook again. If Baxendale starts, we might as well surrender.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:32 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:This has to rank as the foremost 'lambs to the slaughter ' matches that we will face this year, just like the Dongs fixture where the bookies were just offering odds on how many they would beat us by!

Have you not seen Walsall's record against PNE in the last few years? :lol:

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:45 pm

TheSwift wrote:Been says we are without Cook again. If Baxendale starts, we might as well surrender.

Sky Sports says

"Jordan Cook has recovered from the illness which meant he was forced to withdraw from the squad late for Saturday's 2-0 defeat to Coventry."

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:57 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
TheSwift wrote:Been says we are without Cook again. If Baxendale starts, we might as well surrender.

Sky Sports says

"Jordan Cook has recovered from the illness which meant he was forced to withdraw from the squad late for Saturday's 2-0 defeat to Coventry."

If ever he gets to write his biography, he could title it Cook's Matches.
Come to think of it, so could Alistair.

I'll want my share of the royalties.
Last edited by gerryhatrick on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:04 pm

Was going to Preston but have been advised by the medics (see my recent TIA episode) not to go.
I am gutted, but understand that we are supposedly on Sky (though I cannot find the match on any of the sky sports channels that night), does anyone know of a decent, non virus streaming, so that I can watch on my computer, as I don't have Sky sports anyway.
Thanks in advance......
UTS

ws9swift

Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:13 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Was going to Preston but have been advised by the medics (see my recent TIA episode) not to go.
I am gutted, but understand that we are supposedly on Sky (though I cannot find the match on any of the sky sports channels that night), does anyone know of a decent, non virus streaming, so that I can watch on my computer, as I don't have Sky sports anyway.
Thanks in advance......
UTS

Google then search feed2all

Pretty good stream I use it quite alot

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:36 pm

I think we can have these tomorrow but over 2 legs not so sure anymore after the last 2 home displays. Away form is decent enough though so can see us winning by the odd goal at deepdale but as for the return leg I cant see anything other than a 2 or 3 nil to preston. All depends on what team turns up and if they are all up for it because we cant afford to carry players for 70 minutes at a time hoping for a clever "flick" to actually find another red shirt. When it comes off yeah it looks great but when it only comes off once every half a dozen times when a simple pass or god forbid a step or 2 towards the ball would be much easier. Yes im moaning about sawyers and after his last 2 performances AT HOME I think im justified because, apart from the odd glimpse of what he can do, he has been utter tripe. When I was a kid I was taught to step towards and meet the ball not wait for it to come to my feet...do they not teach that anymore??? The amount of times the kid looses the ball because he doesn't do that is unreal. Yes hes a quality player on his day but those days are too few and far between for me. He needs to get the basics right before the daft aimless flicks, I thought he might hqve realised by now that theres nobody else clever enough to realise thats whats hes going to do. AnywY I guess the point im trying to make is that he needs to be more consistent and sometimes think about a simple pass.

Hope he leaves me with egg on my face and tears preston apart then has a worldy in the final at wembley.

UTS

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:54 pm

Let's make no bones about it, this is going to be a tough ask against a very good side. I dont believe for a minute that they don't give a toss about this competition when they are two games away from Wembley. They will want to win this and so will their supporters. As long as we show up, give it our best shot and try to win, rather than trying not to lose then I will be happy.

2-1 defeat and all to play for second leg.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:17 pm

Looks likely that whoever does go through will be playing Bristol City after their 4-2 win at Gillingham tonight. Surprised the crowd was only 2368.

SWS1

Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:46 pm

D'you know what? I've no idea what the result at Dopedale might be! :? Incredible.
All I know is, I'll be watching and hoping, hoping and watching, chewing my nails and swilling back alcohol of some sort to deaden the pain :evil: (or enhance the joy - you never know :D ).
Come on you Reds, you always do it for the cameras (are you listening, Romayne and Mathieu?? :twisted: ).
I really feel we might get a draw out of this :D . Mind you, I never feel "in me waters" that we are going to get beat, so "me waters" have been wrong plenty of times this season. And last. And, er, very often :(
UTS! :D

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:48 pm

Generally cannot wait for this, I'm going crazy, I fudge love away games and this one is going to be special win draw or lose.

UTS

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:00 pm

hullsaddler wrote:Looks likely that whoever does go through will be playing Bristol City after their 4-2 win at Gillingham tonight. Surprised the crowd was only 2368.

They have already played at Wembley twice [although not since it was rebuilt]. The novelty appears to have worn off for them.

UTS Legend

Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:33 am

BathSaddler wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:Looks likely that whoever does go through will be playing Bristol City after their 4-2 win at Gillingham tonight. Surprised the crowd was only 2368.

Tin pot trophy. 'Nuff said.

UTS Legend

Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:39 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:Was going to Preston but have been advised by the medics (see my recent TIA episode) not to go.
Thanks in advance......
UTS

I'll be watching via http://livetv.sx/en/eventinfo/279820_preston_walsall/ if I can set my alarm for 3.30am without waking my wife.

Russian site, but they've never harmed me.

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:14 am

Preston 3 Walsall 0

Dean Smith replacing one man up front with another man alone up front.....with 8 mins remaining

2nd Leg Walsall 0 Preston 0

UTS Legend

Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:26 am

We need to win 3-0 tonight to have any chance in the home leg.

Derbyshire Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:41 am

I learnt yesterday that away goals don't count in the JPT, so Im guessing extra time and penalties would be used to settle a draw over 2 legs.

I can't wait for this, making the 2hr trip across the peak district but sure its no quicker travelling from Walsall.

I'm going for the same result we managed at Notts County away this season and predict 1-2 Walsall.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:08 am

Thanks in advance......
UTS

If you are bothered about viruses etc, it's on Sky Sports 1 and you can buy a day pass for £6.99 and watch it on your computer.

http://www1.skysports.com/nowtv?DCMP=il ... h_lightbox

Derbyshire Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:12 am

aaaae wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:it's on Sky Sports 1 and you can buy a day pass for £6.99 and watch it on your computer.

It's amazing that a ticket for this game is cheaper :) but suppose theres travel costs to consider.

Louise
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:17 am

Gutted to be missing this game but work wont let me finish early and guess Walsall Fc wont pay my mortgage . :(
I had a dream that it was 1-1 so would happily take that tonight.
Just hope we are in with a chance for the home leg and be the first generation of Saddlers to watch their team play at Wembley.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks everyone for the streaming info!
Here's hoping we are on Mongs form, NOT Swindon/Coventry!
UTS

Next
Return to 2014-15 Season