Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Preston North End (A) F.L. Trophy 1st leg 7th Jan 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
otherbournemouthsaddler
UTS Regular

Re: Preston North End (A) F.L. Trophy 1st leg 7th Jan 7.45pm

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:49 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
sallian wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:There's just no pleasing some people, is there? :roll:

As far as the match statistics are concerned, we had LESS attempts on goal than Preston, LESS on target, WAY LESS corners, and we won 0-2. (Which blows 'sallian's basic teachings completely out of the water).

Do the same statistical analysis over a season and see if it blows it out of the water as seeing as RATIONALLY YOU HAVE TO TAKE MORE SHOTS TO SCORE MORE GOALS!!!

I don't put the tactical formation points for sake of arguing....I put them based on my honest analysis and I want the team to do well...

If anyone thinks I was not celebrating then you need to see me when Walsall score....I bet there is not a more violently explosively emotional celebration to be found among all Walsall supporters....I almost always end up with some injuries because of it in addition to some stares of unease and no doubt hidden judgements of lunacy from onlookers.

Your not celebrating Sallian - your on here point scoring with your ridiculous posts that I am surprised many read past the second paragraph.

You've proved to me even further tonight exactly what you are & I have no interest in anything you have to say. A pathetic wind up merchant is not going to take the gloss off tonight. I have nothing to say to you about my age, my past or anything else for that matter. Just to be clear.

Anyway back to Walsall FC related matters; Ebanks-Blake looked like he had won a competition down the local pub to play for the last ten minutes! Oh how I laughed when he waddled on the pitch! I'm sure some on here wanted to sign him at one point - glad we didn't!

His avatar says "come on the 'sall!"

Anyone ever hear this shouted at a match?

EVER???

No - He's a dingle.

Anyway back to reality - I'm absolutely buzzing after that result. Bad few months for me - the other half might not agree but tonight has more than made up for it.

SO fudge PROUD OF THE BOYS AND THE FANS!!!!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:52 pm

scott_powell wrote:
How can people say that was a penalty? Bradshaw went down far too easily and probably should have been booked.

He did not dive as NEil Scunthorpe boy Mellor said.

He fell over because an arm went across. Dont tell if that was a Preston player he would not have blown. Pen. Who cares now

Walsall Fc

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:58 pm

otherbournemouthsaddler wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
sallian wrote:

As far as the match statistics are concerned, we had LESS attempts on goal than Preston, LESS on target, WAY LESS corners, and we won 0-2. (Which blows 'sallian's basic teachings completely out of the water).

Do the same statistical analysis over a season and see if it blows it out of the water as seeing as RATIONALLY YOU HAVE TO TAKE MORE SHOTS TO SCORE MORE GOALS!!!

I don't put the tactical formation points for sake of arguing....I put them based on my honest analysis and I want the team to do well...

If anyone thinks I was not celebrating then you need to see me when Walsall score....I bet there is not a more violently explosively emotional celebration to be found among all Walsall supporters....I almost always end up with some injuries because of it in addition to some stares of unease and no doubt hidden judgements of lunacy from onlookers.

Your not celebrating Sallian - your on here point scoring with your ridiculous posts that I am surprised many read past the second paragraph.

You've proved to me even further tonight exactly what you are & I have no interest in anything you have to say. A pathetic wind up merchant is not going to take the gloss off tonight. I have nothing to say to you about my age, my past or anything else for that matter. Just to be clear.

Anyway back to Walsall FC related matters; Ebanks-Blake looked like he had won a competition down the local pub to play for the last ten minutes! Oh how I laughed when he waddled on the pitch! I'm sure some on here wanted to sign him at one point - glad we didn't!

EVER???

No - He's a dingle.

Anyway back to reality - I'm absolutely buzzing after that result. Bad few months for me - the other half might not agree but tonight has more than made up for it.

you sound clever enough to work for the christmas decorations dept. of Walsall council

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:06 am

latviancheese wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
How can people say that was a penalty? Bradshaw went down far too easily and probably should have been booked.

He did not dive as NEil Scunthorpe boy Mellor said.

He fell over because an arm went across. Dont tell if that was a Preston player he would not have blown. Pen. Who cares now

Walsall Fc

Im not convinced. WHO GIVES A FUDGE THOUGH :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:28 am

Walsall FC. I ould give Bowesy a key to the town as well cause that bloke is loud as a fudge lighthouse.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:38 am

I went to School with Wayne he's always had a big gob :lol:

Can hear him on every televised game...he has single handedly brought back that 'we're from Walsall' chant along with some other classics....

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:31 am

My voice is gone. What a game, I spent the entire trip back thinking which was better, the Wolves 1-0 away or this - either one was great and resulted in the same thing, injuries, falling down stairs and hugging strangers.

I love Walsall.

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:54 am

Great result.
Extraordinary result.
I was happy as we seemed to be cruising to a 0-0 but 0-2 is brilliant.
Well done lads!

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:49 am

Ich bin drucken

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:04 am

Vodka tonic for asps.

UTS Legend

Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:54 am

You_Reds

Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:32 am

barclays off this morning 8)

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:34 am

Well done to the travelling support, could hear them from start to finish on the TV.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:01 am

Fantastic. Well done to the supporters who went too - great stuff. I was down south watching it in a bar with an Gooner mate of mine, jumping out of my seat punching the air to the bemused looks around me!

When Bradshaw got the ball I couldn't see how he'd get a shot on target from there - what a clinical finisher. One shot all game, one goal. Superb. :D

sandysaddler
UTS Regular

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:18 am

Magic night in preston, reminded me of the cup away days of the eighties at barnsley, arsenal and liverpool, certainly my throat has not hurt this much since then! Great atmosphere last night and just maybe this old man is finally going to see the saddlers at wembley. We could have been out of it by half time but were the better team second half. This is what following walsall is all about. :D uts

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:36 am

Well happy with that!

otherbournemouthsaddler
UTS Regular

Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:14 am

sallian wrote:
otherbournemouthsaddler wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
sallian wrote:

EVER???

No - He's a dingle.

you sound clever enough to work for the christmas decorations dept. of Walsall council

Wow, thats cutting edge material right there folks! :shock:

Sallian - shots 1 - on target 0 (as usual) :roll:

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:20 am

Brilliant result. Me, me' brothers and me' dad shouted the pub down in Southampton - not sure the locals knew what was happening. Planning on heading up to the Banks for the 2nd leg - if it's on the Wednesday it'll be my birthday too....

In other news is Sallian (sp - can't be bothered to check) the Katie Hopkins of Walsall fans? Discuss.

Zaddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:56 am

My Mrs had to ring the old dear next door to explain what all the noise was about :)

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:59 am

After a considerable absence from this board, can I first say what a fantastic result!
But (Sallian mode) I've seen us blow from this position before - let's not think of Wembley just yet.

I could go on about individual players and their performances, but let's just say as a whole they deserve enormous credit for having to play against 14 men and 4 commentators. Just as much credit should be given to our fantastic supporters who drowned out the 8x home crowd on TV.

No negatives here, as anything that happened in the first half was sorted out ready for the second - you can't ask for more than that.
As for the positives:

Richard O'Donnell produced a goalkeeping performance that I will remember forever.
Someone else said it, but Tom Bradshaw looked every inch in the incarnation of Buckley the way he took his goal.
Wonderful set pieces from Forde (surprisingly) and Taylor (most unfortunate).
Excellent defensive recovery against some very big reputations amongst their strike force.
And even, a marvellous little cameo from Baxendale.

Let's have more of the same in the 2nd leg please and finish the job!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:39 am

Zaddler wrote:My Mrs had to ring the old dear next door to explain what all the noise was about :)

Snap!!

How refreshing to have a cup competition result to celebrate!!
Making enquiries about trains down to that there Lundun/Wemberrrley, but quickly remembered that this is gurrole Worsul we support...we beat our possible opponents 3-1 at their place, then lost 2-0 at home! Luckily smashing them good in the replay!
Preston have a line up of attacking ferocity that we can but dream of (but also have Ew-Blake who makes Manset look svelte!), so it's not a foregone conclusion just yet.
Please lads get me to Wembley before I cark!!!

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:09 pm

Sorted my lift whilst recovering from the flu and boy am I glad I did what a night that was I have to say credit to all the fans there together we made a great night and I certainly have no voice left!
That game was for everyone who's watched us drop out of cup competitions away at teams like Lincoln and Crawley for all of us who've sat through bad times that was a game for the fans who are always there for the team.

Now with a rational head I can say about the game:

Overall the game we started quite well end to end but then we really went under the cosh the fullbacks seemed to have no cover but good old Rich O Donnell kept us well in it after half time you could see the momentum swinging our way and both goals were true beautys Forde curled that freekick perfectly when I was half expecting a short pass to sawyers on the edge of the box to shoot.
Bradshaws... well he has no right to score from that angle nutmegging the keeper talk about class and top quality striking how he didn't succeed at shrewsbury I'll never know as he only needs 1 chance to score for us!.

I can only criticise the fact we fell for the same corner routine about 6 times playing it short and each time they had good chances from them, if we can cut that out the 2nd leg I can't see where their chances will come from.

I won't do player ratings as it was about the team and the team pulled together to give us a fantastic result

Still smiling now what a day!!, now lets get the bescot rocking on jan 27th!!

Over The Moon
UTS Veteran

Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:15 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Zaddler wrote:My Mrs had to ring the old dear next door to explain what all the noise was about :)

Snap!!

How refreshing to have a cup competition result to celebrate!!
Making enquiries about trains down to that there Lundun/Wemberrrley, but quickly remembered that this is gurrole Worsul we support...we beat our possible opponents 3-1 at their place, then lost 2-0 at home! Luckily smashing them good in the replay!Preston have a line up of attacking ferocity that we can but dream of (but also have Ew-Blake who makes Manset look svelte!), so it's not a foregone conclusion just yet.
Please lads get me to Wembley before I cark!!!

Thought of that Bristol City 1988 straight away after the game last night surely it can't happen again

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:01 pm

I was there last night - absolutely brilliant support from the fans there.

Rode our luck (especially in the first half where we could have been 3-0 down) but what a performance in the second half.

Our full backs were way to exposed in the first half as we were playing more of a 4-2-3-1, but Smith rectified that by pushing back our wide players ten yards for more of a 4-4-1-1.

Just superb. Could not believe what I was watching.

Well done to Smith, the players, and the travelling support - fantastic.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:53 pm

Neuromantic wrote:I was there last night - absolutely brilliant support from the fans there.

Would happily believe you were at the ground, but only had that simply read "brilliant support from us, the fans".

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:56 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:
Neuromantic wrote:I was there last night - absolutely brilliant support from the fans there.

Would happily believe you were at the ground, but only had that simply read "brilliant support from us, the fans".

eh?

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:21 pm

Neuromantic wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:

eh?

You're the one claiming to have a massive IQ, not I.

I suggest you read that line again, brainbox.

BeardedSwift

Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:38 pm

1st time poster on this forum despite 3 decades of supporting Walsall & a few years just reading the many comments on here.

So, why am I finally moved to post?

Well, I read PT's post earlier & it just about sums up what it means to be a true football, & especially a saddlers, fan. Well done PT, almost poetic; I certainly couldn't have put it any better.

Can't wait for the return leg, & Scunthorpe on Saturday.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:02 pm

No glory hunters on UTS please !! :lol: :lol: welcome aboard

BeardedSwift

Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:06 pm

Glory !! :lol:
This is Walsall, after all! But maybe - just maybe :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season