Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Preston North End (A) F.L. Trophy 1st leg 7th Jan 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Re: Preston North End (A) F.L. Trophy 1st leg 7th Jan 7.45pm

Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:33 pm

BeardedSwift wrote: Scunthorpe on Saturday.

You on a promise? Or just hopeful?

PT
Site Addict

Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:45 pm

BeardedSwift wrote:1st time poster on this forum despite 3 decades of supporting Walsall & a few years just reading the many comments on here.

So, why am I finally moved to post?

Well, I read PT's post earlier & it just about sums up what it means to be a true football, & especially a saddlers, fan. Well done PT, almost poetic; I certainly couldn't have put it any better.

Can't wait for the return leg, & Scunthorpe on Saturday.

Thank you. And thanks Pinnacle too.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:49 pm

PT wrote:
BeardedSwift wrote:1st time poster on this forum despite 3 decades of supporting Walsall & a few years just reading the many comments on here.

Well, I read PT's post earlier & it just about sums up what it means to be a true football, & especially a saddlers, fan. Well done PT, almost poetic; I certainly couldn't have put it any better.

127 years of hurt!

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:14 pm

aaaae wrote:
PT wrote:

127 years of hurt!

Really? I bet you don't look a day over 98.

aaaae
Site Addict

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:18 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:
aaaae wrote:127 years of hurt!

I've got a painting in my attic that looks very old!

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:26 pm

aaaae wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:
aaaae wrote:127 years of hurt!

I've got a painting in my attic that looks very old!

My ex suffers the same condition.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:03 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:
Neuromantic wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:
Neuromantic wrote:I was there last night - absolutely brilliant support from the fans there.

Would happily believe you were at the ground, but only had that simply read "brilliant support from us, the fans".

eh?

You're the one claiming to have a massive IQ, not I.

I suggest you read that line again, brainbox.

I suggest you do :lol:

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:35 pm

BeardedSwift wrote:Glory !! :lol:
This is Walsall, after all! But maybe - just maybe :D

Just remember this cautionary tale

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haQ4e_Ca2vw&list=FL-9nqDO_bxmbLj8kK9HizbA&index=48[/youtube]

It'll be a clenched buttocks night in 3 weeks

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:11 pm

Neuromantic wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:
Neuromantic wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:
Neuromantic wrote:I was there last night - absolutely brilliant support from the fans there.

Would happily believe you were at the ground, but only had that simply read "brilliant support from us, the fans".

eh?

You're the one claiming to have a massive IQ, not I.

I suggest you read that line again, brainbox.

I suggest you do :lol:

Ok, Daz, let me explain (shouldn't be too hard for you to understand).

You claimed to be at the game, last night. Correct?

To anyone that attended English lessons, that line suggests otherwise.

If a bloke with your self-appointed mental capacity can't see it, then I claim the right to call into question the banging of your chest, exclaiming "me, genius".

Clearer now, Galileo?

UTS Legend

Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:27 pm

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:30 am

I hope everyone enjoyed the game :D A big well done to everyone including SMITHOUT for the result. Typical away performance and a brilliant performance again from O'Donnell - I have no idea why more people don't appreciate what a good keeper he is becoming.

I got my official photograph taken with him from the club today, not sure what wall to post it on :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:51 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:Ok, Daz, let me explain (shouldn't be too hard for you to understand).

If a bloke with your self-appointed mental capacity can't see it, then I claim the right to call into question the banging of your chest, exclaiming "me, genius".

Clearer now, Galileo?

Why is it not ok to say good support from the fans there at the ground? In the preceding part of the sentence I assert I was there... and then after a break in the sentence say that there was great support from the fans there... Whilst it's the not the greatest sentence ever written, 'there' can be taken in different ways (Hence my previous post) and the stress of the word also conveys meaning. Why am I even explaining this?

I prefer to be called 'Aristotle' or 'The Oracle'... and not Galileo though.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:46 am

Neuromantic wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:Ok, Daz, let me explain (shouldn't be too hard for you to understand).

Clearer now, Galileo?

Why is it not ok to say good support from the fans there at the ground? In the preceding part of the sentence I assert I was there... and then after a break in the sentence say that there was great support from the fans there... Whilst it's the not the greatest sentence ever written, 'there' can be taken in different ways (Hence my previous post) and the stress of the word also conveys meaning. Why am I even explaining this?

Ok, Daz, we can agree that omitting the final 'there' would have made a difference. Having said that, the way in which the line was constructed, gave the impression of not being part of the crowd, but looking in on it, as per a Sky viewer.

You need to be more diligent, perhaps employing a proofreader, prior to presenting any future theses to your peers.

Showing no hard feelings, may I wish you luck, 'Oracle', in your chosen profession.

Oh, woe is me. Would that I could see my time again.

UTS Legend

Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:12 am

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:44 am

Can we give some credit for the little kid who forced the defender to make the back pass, Made one hell of a difference when he came on, i wish Sawyers would do same.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:48 am

clawtheolder wrote:Can we give some credit for the little kid who forced the defender to make the back pass, Made one hell of a difference when he came on, i wish Sawyers would do same.

Spot on. (and mentioned in my "Fitness, and chasing lost causes" thread of a few days ago :wink: )

aaaae
Site Addict

Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:13 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
clawtheolder wrote:Can we give some credit for the little kid who forced the defender to make the back pass, Made one hell of a difference when he came on, i wish Sawyers would do same.

Spot on. (and mentioned in my "Fitness, and chasing lost causes" thread of a few days ago :wink: )

You would expect someone coming on as sub late in the game to chase everything (not to say they would) but watch Bradshaw in the run up to the first goal. He ran himself into the ground for 80 minutes and still chases down the back pass in the last 10 and forces their keeper to fluff his clearance. It would not have happened last season.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:11 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:
Neuromantic wrote:

Clearer now, Galileo?

Ok, Daz, we can agree that omitting the final 'there' would have made a difference. Having said that, the way in which the line was constructed, gave the impression of not being part of the crowd, but looking in on it, as per a Sky viewer.

You need to be more diligent, perhaps employing a proofreader, prior to presenting any future theses to your peers.

Showing no hard feelings, may I wish you luck, 'Oracle', in your chosen profession.

You are on quite the crusade aren't you?

I don't really care - Up the Saddlers!
Last edited by Neuromantic on Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:21 pm

Neuromantic wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:
Neuromantic wrote:

Clearer now, Galileo?

You are on quite he crusade aren't you?

I don't really care - Up the Saddlers!

SWS1

Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:42 pm

PT wrote:

Well, the Scunthorpe thing lived up to its euphemism, day it? Went t_its up right enough. :evil:

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season