Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry (H) League One, 3rd Jan 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Coventry (H) League One, 3rd Jan 3pm

Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:46 pm

Preston beating Norwich in the FA Cup...

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:47 pm

A last throw of the dice - Manset on.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:48 pm

Manset on for Forde, 82 mins....a last throw of the dice!!

Maybe Preston will have their minds elsewhere next Wednesday - they're currently 2-0 up at home to Norwich in the F.A. Cup.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:48 pm

Just got in...stunned, don't we always do it? A win and were in the play off places! But we do it the Worsul way, and drop three vital points in yet another home defeat....that's what being a Saddler has been like for most of our lives......

Hereforawhile

Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:49 pm

el classico 2, el Ordinario 0

The rent dodgers are back!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:50 pm

Game over..... 0-2 :( :( :(

SWS1

Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:52 pm

Oh nads and Bristols.
:evil:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:53 pm

Let's just hope we do what we did last week and bounce back with a great away victory on Weds eve. :(

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:54 pm

The inevitable 'sucker punch' to make it 2-0. Very disappointing.

If Bradshaw does not score, we don't score.

Home record has taken a bit of a pummelling over the Christmas period too.

Let's hope Preston have been distracted by their win today and don't turn up on Wednesday.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:12 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Just got in...stunned, don't we always do it? A win and were in the play off places! But we do it the Worsul way, and drop three vital points in yet another home defeat....that's what being a Saddler has been like for most of our lives......

The last three results have been very much 'horses for courses'. Apart from the 4-0 win over Coventry a couple of seasons back, we have a very poor record against them. We have a good record at MK Dons [although we never beat them at home] and have had a poor recent home run against Swindon [although we often beat them away].

We really are impossible to predict at the moment, but we have let a good opportunity slip today. Without support for Bradshaw, we'll finish 14th/15th.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:13 pm

Couldn't make it today.

You always get a bad feeling when we're at home with a chance of making real league table progress against a physical and struggling side. We've now lost six against teams beneath us, yet only twice against teams above us.

Sounds like they battered us to start with and could have been more comfortably ahead and then for 15 minutes at the start of the second half sounds like we did everything but score but then couldn't maintain the momentum.

Be interesting to hear from folk who were there, but from a distance I was scratching my head when the manager decides that when chasing a game he feels that Benning is a better bet than Manset/Grimes. If Bax was injured then fair enough but if it was tactical that is a damning assessment by the manager himself of two of his own summer signings.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:35 pm

Dean 'Mediocre' Smith strikes again.

philthesaddler wrote:Personally, I don't think Smith will ever amount to anything more than an average manager, and will never get us anywhere near the playoffs.

For every good performance, there is an equally dire one

Just call me Mystic Meg.

Poor performance today, started sluggishly and out-muscled in the first half, they were the better side. Second half we came out all guns blazing, but as has been the case numerous times this season, we just can't put the ball in the net. If we had scored early in the 2nd, I'd have fancied us to go on and win the game.

All in all 4 points from the Sheff Utd, Swindon, Mk Dons and Coventry games...and yet people still think we stand a chance of the playoffs? LOL.

We're a poor-to-average team (just look at the league table, dont take my word for it), with a poor manager who has a one-dimensional idea of tactics and we have a poor squad...Mal Benning is now our plan B. LOL.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:41 pm

And a word for todays officials.

Woeful.

What were they smoking at half time? The one linesman didnt raise his flag for what was a clear offside (about 20 yards offside). Everyone was surprised, the linesman kept his flag down, and Nouble played on. Thankfully, the lump put it wide.

I'm sure Smith will blame the officials, but thankfully, they didnt affect the result. The officials got the penalty decision right, but from then on they failed to control the game, persistent fouling and time wasting went unpunished, and as you always see in these circumstances, there was then a very nasty challenge on Sawyers - a leg breaker - but only got a yellow.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:46 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Dean 'Mediocre' Smith strikes again.

philthesaddler wrote:Personally, I don't think Smith will ever amount to anything more than an average manager, and will never get us anywhere near the playoffs.

For every good performance, there is an equally dire one

Just call me Mystic Meg.

Poor performance today, started sluggishly and out-muscled in the first half, they were the better side. Second half we came out all guns blazing, but as has been the case numerous times this season, we just can't put the ball in the net. If we had scored early in the 2nd, I'd have fancied us to go on and win the game.

All in all 4 points from the Sheff Utd, Swindon, Mk Dons and Coventry games...and yet people still think we stand a chance of the playoffs? LOL.

We're a poor-to-average team (just look at the league table, dont take my word for it), with a poor manager who has a one-dimensional idea of tactics and we have a poor squad...Mal Benning is now our plan B. LOL.

Shut it Scunthorpe

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:48 pm

Tyldesley_saddler wrote:Shut it Scunthorpe

Ok, lets get this straight - you dont like it when I have an opinion, and you don't like it even more when that opinion turns out to hold some weight?

Makes sense. Prize plonker.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:09 pm

As much as it pains me to say it, we weren't unlucky today. We were second best for the majority of the game.

I reckon there were two or three players in red shirts who hadn't even touched the ball by the time Coventry had won a penalty, missed it, and the taken the lead - we just didn't get out of the blocks at all. Then for the rest of the half, we just went through the motions and could have been 3 down but for the crossbar and a really smart reflex save from O'Donnell. Taylor looked shaky, Cain and Chambers looked completely outnumbered, and Sawyers went missing. The best we could muster was lumping hopeful balls up to Bradshaw just like he was used to at Shrewsbury last season.

In all fairness, we came out fighting after half time, with Forde generally threatening the most coming in off the right wing. We hit the post twice and their keeper made a decent stop from Bradshaw, but we never really looked ruthless enough to get back into the game. Their second goal was arguably a bit hard on us, but came from a set piece we didn't defend properly - soft again, just like at least two of Swindon's goals last week.

I think today showed we're a good couple of players short of really being able to challenge for a top six spot. For me, Baxendale played reasonably well considering he's not a winger, but there are times he doesn't look comfortable. When Smith then looks to change things he has little option but to bring on Benning, who made us look even worse down that left hand side. With no Cook, we looked really imbalanced today.

Smith can quite rightly comment on how poor the officials were today (the lack of an offside flag for Nouble in the second half was probably the worst decisions I've ever seen on a football pitch) but they didn't cost us the two goals - or the penalty for that matter.

I hope to God we bounce back in style like we did after the Swindon game. Getting to Wembley certainly looks a lot more likely than nicking a playoff spot at this moment in time - and that's saying someone given how strong Preston are this season.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:20 pm

Yes typical Walsall. Raise your hopes and then dash them immediately.
We missed Cook today as unfortunately Bax is not a winger. He was poor again today.The result was not the fault of one individual though.

From the first whistle they were more up for it than us. We could have quite easily been 2/3-0 at HT. I can't quite understand why such an average team as Cov can be so up for a game against us. We need to learn from that.

For the first 20 mins of the second half we were excellent and really deserved to equalise.Twice we hit the post and super Tom forced a great save from their keeper. It wasn't to be though and the substitutions made did nothing to spark the comeback. Bax was replaced by Benning on the left who had a dreadful 25 mins. What was wrong with him. Usually he makes some kind of impression.

Manset did not have enough time when he came on to influence things.

This season is now all about the JPT and hopefully a mid table finish.

Hereforawhile

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:23 pm

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:23 pm

Baxendale is a waste of a shirt, why not give Morris a chance on the wing? Oh! I forgot! He's a winger, so he would have to play in a position he has never played before.

On a not about Baxendale, he has the physical presence of a Sindy doll - not once today did he try and use his physical strength (what little he has) to win the ball.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:26 pm

People panned Rico Henry for his performance against Swindon, they will be lining up a firing squad for Andy Taylor after that performance.

Project Baxendale finally came to an end today, he is destined to be released on a free, we look a worse team when he is in the side. Benning won't be far behind as he is no left back and even less of a left winger.

If Sawyers isn't on song we aren't and Bradshaw is left isolated. The system we play places such reliance on him and Smith seems unable to deviate from this system.

I am still trying to understand why we bring Manset on and take ours only natural winger off? If anyone knows the answer I would be grateful if they could post it.
Last edited by ToeJoe Jnr on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:28 pm

I need to see this offside again. At the time I assumed it was a mistake my Downing or Chambers which meant their player wasn't offside when it was through to him. I may be wrong as I was too busy absorbing the flavours of an overpriced yorkie. Officials were useless though. Worst i've seen this season.

Overall we were poor. Second half we had good spells. Baxo is rubbish. Saywers improved as the game went on but was shocking in the first half. Taylor was pants. Forde should have stayed on.

Poor subs by Deano. Manset should have been on 20minutes earlier.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:32 pm

Agreed, why not bring Manset on for Bax instead of bringing on Benning? I thought Forde played well and looked one of our biggest threats.

Officials were terrible, only 1 yellow card all game was staggering!!! Cov were very dirty!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:34 pm

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:People panned Rico Henry for his performance against Swindon, they will be lining up a firing squad for Andy Taylor after that performance.

Project Baxendale finally came to an end today, he is destined to be released on a free, we look a worse team when he is in the side. Benning won't be far behind as he is no left back and even less of a left winger.

If Sawyers isn't on song we aren't and Bradshw is left isolated. The system we play place such reliance on him and Smith seems unable to deviate from this system.

I am still trying to understand why we bring Manset on and take ourselves only natural winger on? If anyone knows the answer I would be grateful if they could post it.

This.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:35 pm

Didn't go today, but that's typical Walsall. We will probably get to the JPT final or win away at Preston in the league but take 1 point from Scunthorpe and Colchester - it's the Walsall way, always has been and always will be. Sounds like a game of 'take your chances', they took there's and ours hit the post or were saved. Despite league position, they still have players like Tudgay, Fleck, Nouble, Madine etc - miles better pedigree and more expensive than ours. If we weren't at it then it's no surprise to see us come out as the losing side.

Glad people are finally seeing Baxendale for what he is, a good technical footballer with the physicality and influence of a ballerina. Nice chap, funny smile - but bye bye in May for me. Never a winger and not influential enough to play as a 10.

We weren't brillant when we beat the Dons 3-0, much like we aren't horrific after losing today. Much of a muchness, mid-table, probably over-achieving in budgetary terms. January is a big month, go out the JPT and do nothing in the league and the season takes a sour turn, get to the JPT final and Wembley and the season takes an upturn.

In my mind, if we make Wembley and/or finish mid table, whilst bringing Henry, Kinsella, Bradshaw, Downing, Flanagan, Cain on etc - then it'l be a good to impressive season.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:36 pm

Sadsfan wrote:Agreed, why not bring Manset on for Bax instead of bringing on Benning? I thought Forde played well and looked one of our biggest threats.

Officials were terrible, only 1 yellow card all game was staggering!!! Cov were very dirty!

Why not occasionally start Manset, then he might have some match fitness and sharpness. It might also mean teams have to adapt, rather than just packing the midfield with bruisers, which always nullifies Sawyers.

Smith only has a plan A. I mean, bringing Benning on? Jesus.

Hereforawhile

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:37 pm

scott_powell wrote:I need to see this offside again. At the time I assumed it was a mistake my Downing or Chambers which meant their player wasn't offside when it was through to him. I may be wrong as I was too busy absorbing the flavours of an overpriced yorkie. Officials were useless though. Worst i've seen this season.

It was offside; and tbh had Nouble scored I would have had to change my pants in delight of such daylight robbery. Maybe the assistant was just afraid that Nouble might nut him otherwise - he only put up his flag after the shot had missed.

The challenge on Sawyer was nasty; but boy did Sawyer make a meal of it. That said, any of our players would have done the same.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:39 pm

fudge irritating on so many levels:

1. We naturally fudge up our chance of getting up the table after fudge the mongs last week
2. We seemed to think it a good idea to come out at the pace of a fudge arthritic snail against a physical direct team
3. Pressley
4. Aiming for the fudge post rather than the net!
5. Having to listen to those chavtastic Scunthorpe at the other end (a word for any in-breds reading, beating Walsall aint really that much of a thing for a "big team")
6. Having go back to the car and listening to that senile old Scunthorpe "alan" snivveling on Radio Dingle (I swear they only put him on to make us sound like twerp).
7. The excuse for a referee who let them stop any play we actually managed to put together with instant, repeatedyl unpunished, fouls (oh for a book happy ref against a team like Covshite)
8. Having been fudge persuaded to have a dry January.

Happy new year all :evil:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:40 pm

Just to add, I think it's as much about us having no plan B as it is us bottling the chance to sneak a top six spot. Two years ago, last season, and now this season, we've reached a point where teams have visibly come with a plan to stop Sawyers playing and outnumber us in midfield. We need to be able to change our approach when sides like Swindon and now Coventry suss is out, which I'm not convinced we have the options in the squad to do.

The mention of Morris is perfectly justified. If he's good enough to get a deal until the end of the season, surely he's good enough to replace Baxendale with 20 minutes to go.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:44 pm

Hereforawhile wrote:
scott_powell wrote:I need to see this offside again. At the time I assumed it was a mistake my Downing or Chambers which meant their player wasn't offside when it was through to him. I may be wrong as I was too busy absorbing the flavours of an overpriced yorkie. Officials were useless though. Worst i've seen this season.

It was offside; and tbh had Nouble scored I would have had to change my pants in delight of such daylight robbery. Maybe the assistant was just afraid that Nouble might nut him otherwise - he only put up his flag after the shot had missed.

The challenge on Sawyer was nasty; but boy did Sawyer make a meal of it. That said, any of our players would have done the same.

Ah fair enough :D

Hereforawhile

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:54 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Hereforawhile wrote:

Ah fair enough :D

:D

Good luck for the rest of the season.

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season