Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry (H) League One, 3rd Jan 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Coventry (H) League One, 3rd Jan 3pm

Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:02 pm

glad i swerved this one by the sounds of it

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:21 pm

Sadders wrote:Didn't go today, but that's typical Walsall. We will probably get to the JPT final or win away at Preston in the league but take 1 point from Scunthorpe and Colchester - it's the Walsall way, always has been and always will be. Sounds like a game of 'take your chances', they took there's and ours hit the post or were saved. Despite league position, they still have players like Tudgay, Fleck, Nouble, Madine etc - miles better pedigree and more expensive than ours. If we weren't at it then it's no surprise to see us come out as the losing side.

Glad people are finally seeing Baxendale for what he is, a good technical footballer with the physicality and influence of a ballerina. Nice chap, funny smile - but bye bye in May for me. Never a winger and not influential enough to play as a 10.

We weren't brillant when we beat the Dons 3-0, much like we aren't horrific after losing today. Much of a muchness, mid-table, probably over-achieving in budgetary terms. January is a big month, go out the JPT and do nothing in the league and the season takes a sour turn, get to the JPT final and Wembley and the season takes an upturn.

In my mind, if we make Wembley and/or finish mid table, whilst bringing Henry, Kinsella, Bradshaw, Downing, Flanagan, Cain on etc - then it'l be a good to impressive season.

Nouble is just a lump, awful player who never scores and is slowly drifting down the leagues. They were talking about letting Tudgay leave on loan....he's one I'd look at. Rather him off the bench than Grimes or Manset.

Wasn't that shocked with the result sadly. The home form has always been so so under Smith and as others have mentioned when the team gets close to the top 6 a winless run occurs, let's hope this one dosen't last three months this time.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:31 pm

We paid a heavy price for a very poor start. We were awful for the first 20mins and could have been 3 down. The rest of the first half was more even but we were not at our best. We played well for the first 20mins of the second half and on a another day we would have equalised,however Coventry's time wasting and very poor refereeing took all the momentum out of the game. I agree with others who felt the substitutions did not help either and our lack of a plan "b" was very evident. Morris must surely be given a chance and I would get Bakayoko back from Southport as soon as possible. He would give us another option off the bench at least.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:35 pm

How we weren't 3/4 down by half time is beyond me. We were diabolicle. Sawyers gave away a blantent penalty, I don't know why people were arguing it. The save should've been the wake up call we needed but it didn't work. Good strike by O'Brien, but once again O'Donnell's positioning from a long range strike was questionable. Why did he come off his line for the initial ball, which he was never getting anywhere near, as when it went out to O'Brien it meant he was still adjusting himself. Only a lucky deflection and a good reaction save stopped is being more than one down at the break.

Second half, we started well and dominated the first 15-20 minutes. Hit the post twice and looked threatening. However, as soon as Benning came on we lost all momentum. What Morris has to do to get in the squad is beyond me.

Their second goal felt inevitable. Once again, it was a simple ball into the box and it pretty summed up our afternoon.

A few other points, O'Donnell MOTM was laughable. Bloke had a bad afternoon, especially in the kicking department.

Taylor looked unfit. He was blowing out of his rear end after twenty minutes. Not convinced he should've started today.

Purkiss has to come back in for O'Connor should J.Chambers be fit for Wednesday and I pray he is.

The officials were ridiculousy bad. To the point is was laughable. How they are professionals is. Eying me. Even simple decisions they were getting wrong and how none of the Coventry players got booked for time wasting is beyond me.

Overall, very bad afternoon at the office.

Hereforawhile

Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:45 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
Sadders wrote:Didn't go today, but that's typical Walsall. We will probably get to the JPT final or win away at Preston in the league but take 1 point from Scunthorpe and Colchester - it's the Walsall way, always has been and always will be. Sounds like a game of 'take your chances', they took there's and ours hit the post or were saved. Despite league position, they still have players like Tudgay, Fleck, Nouble, Madine etc - miles better pedigree and more expensive than ours. If we weren't at it then it's no surprise to see us come out as the losing side.

Glad people are finally seeing Baxendale for what he is, a good technical footballer with the physicality and influence of a ballerina. Nice chap, funny smile - but bye bye in May for me. Never a winger and not influential enough to play as a 10.

We weren't brillant when we beat the Dons 3-0, much like we aren't horrific after losing today. Much of a muchness, mid-table, probably over-achieving in budgetary terms. January is a big month, go out the JPT and do nothing in the league and the season takes a sour turn, get to the JPT final and Wembley and the season takes an upturn.

In my mind, if we make Wembley and/or finish mid table, whilst bringing Henry, Kinsella, Bradshaw, Downing, Flanagan, Cain on etc - then it'l be a good to impressive season.

Nouble is just a lump, awful player who never scores and is slowly drifting down the leagues. They were talking about letting Tudgay leave on loan....he's one I'd look at. Rather him off the bench than Grimes or Manset.

Wasn't that shocked with the result sadly. The home form has always been so so under Smith and as others have mentioned when the team gets close to the top 6 a winless run occurs, let's hope this one dosen't last three months this time.

Nouble is still championship level. Tends to score when playing in a CF role when supported, and otherwise can play a good supporting role. However, he's in the McGoldrick and L. Clarke mould, and so a difficult guy to have in your team. Doesn't get on with Pressley so, unfortunately, we may lose him.

Tudquay - I wasn't aware of his sexual preferences - is, um, an odd one. 1 goal in 11, and seems to have run around aimlessly in all the games he has played for the City, until today. Ordinarily, I'd say that the fact that he's now in the shop window marks him out as someone just looking for the next pay cheque. Pressley says he's a good guy, and applies himself in training; but maybe that's just shop window talk. On current form, you're welcome to him.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:57 pm

It's simple why you're struggling (o.k maybe not looking at the table now but then league one is rubbish but for 4 teams).

Leon Clarke and Calum Wilson was an unbelievable partnership at league one level last season and bailed you out in so many games.

Now having lost them and relying on freebies and loans to try to replace them, you're in the real world with all of us.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:08 pm

Hereforawhile wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRcOwQ_36TQ

Enjoy,

Why do you sing about Chelsea and Tottenham ?
When do you think you will be playing them again?
You need a new song to include the likes of fleet wood and Crawley?

Hereforawhile

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:11 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:It's simple why you're struggling #o.k maybe not looking at the table now but then league one is rubbish but for 4 teams#.

Leon Clarke and Calum Wilson was an unbelievable partnership at league one level last season and bailed you out in so many games.

Now having lost them and relying on freebies and loans to try to replace them, you're in the real world with all of us.

Couldn't agree more, though Moussa and Baker were a big loss as well. We are a club without a ground, and so without revenues, and, I would add, without a particularly good manager. We reached for the stars, and have burnt out as a result (as well as being owned by a hedge fund that gambled and lost). We are an average football city, with currently a below average football league position.

I will still maintain that it wasn't the 'rent shrike' that allowed us to have that position (with the likes of Clarke); but this is not time to go over all that again.

Coventry United are doing very well though :D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:18 pm

Hereforawhile wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:It's simple why you're struggling #o.k maybe not looking at the table now but then league one is rubbish but for 4 teams#.

Couldn't agree more, though Moussa and Baker were a big loss as well. We are a club without a ground, and so without revenues, and, I would add, without a particularly good manager. We reached for the stars, and have burnt out as a result (as well as being owned by a hedge fund that gambled and lost). We are an average football city, with currently a below average football league position.

I will still maintain that it wasn't the 'rent shrike' that allowed us to have that position (with the likes of Clarke); but this is not time to go over all that again.

Coventry United are doing very well though :D

Yes just like on here there's a thread wanting Pressley out on one of your forums.

I know it's all 21st century football talk but surely given how badly some of these clubs are run nowadays Managers should be cut a bit of slack.

How on earth is Steven Pressley expecting to win promotion when for example Coventry couldn't even play at their own ground last season (although I find it amusing your record at Sixfields infront of 3 men and a dog is a lot better than infront of "the missing thousands" at the Ricoh. :mrgreen: )

Other managers like Aidy Boothroyd, Peter Reid, Dowie and Chris Coleman have all done good jobs/one promotions elsewhere. They all did nothing at Coventry.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:26 pm

If they had won by enough of a margin, would be in play off places....but even a draw would have been a bad result, but to lose again impotently...

This convinces me they will not be making the play offs....

Can never string 3 wins together.....if two wins ..then just wait for the loss....very predictable

Hereforawhile

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:33 pm

Cowshed wrote:

Enjoy,

It worked when we played Spurs in the Cup the other year, though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkGB3YANd_E

http://i1.coventrytelegraph.net/incomin ... 377232.jpg

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:37 pm

sallian wrote:If they had won by enough of a margin, would be in play off places....but even a draw would have been a bad result, but to lose again impotently...

Can never string 3 wins together.....if two wins ..then just wait for the loss....very predictable

We lost, so obviously you had to turn up with your usual smug condescension. :roll:

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:44 pm

fudge off coventry fan you will be playin at Nuneaton soon.
As for us who do the happy clappers blame today it's either the player's or smith someone needs to take responsibility, if we lose to pne in the JPT and I hear any little iPhone wielding twerp in the lower block 4 I will knock him so far he will land on fellows park central circle. UTS

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:48 pm

Playing a local team who you knew would be up for a battle, as were Shrewsbury,together with a top six place called for some bottle.

The problem here and against shrews is, as we saw in the wall against crystal palace, this team has no bottle.

So coventry stamped all over us in the first ten minutes and determined the outcome of the game.

Pansies like sawyers and Baxendale just encourage them!

I actually feel sorry for smithout because he genuinely does not know what he is going to get from one game to another and he is tactically inept.

He has no one to bring on because he has wasted money on a 3 year contract for Baxendale, grimes the best finisher he has ever seen so good in fact that when we need a goal he brings on a fullback and plays him upfront instead and Manset who got the cov fans doubled up laughing when he came on.

And so on to Wednesday and a game that means so much to Saddlers fans and will require bottle

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:00 pm

I want to see a manager with a bit of bollocks at Walsall FC. Dean Smith is a very nice nice bloke but let's get it right, you're not good enough. Bow down and kiss Ray Graydon's feet because you, my son, are a loser,
There's only one SIR Ray.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:14 pm

this is getting really tiresome. We lose a match and some idiot comes on here saying he should go. You obviously dont understand the game because each week somebody has to lose and if managers were sacked every time a team lost the game would be even dafter than it is. By your logic MK Dons should have sacked Robinson by now!

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Cowshed wrote:Playing a local team who you knew would be up for a battle, as were Shrewsbury,together with a top six place called for some bottle.

The problem here and against shrews is, as we saw in the wall against crystal palace, this team has no bottle.

So coventry stamped all over us in the first ten minutes and determined the outcome of the game.

I actually feel sorry for smithout because he genuinely does not know what he is going to get from one game to another and he is tactically inept.

He has no one to bring on because he has wasted money on a 3 year contract for Baxendale, grimes the best finisher he has ever seen so good in fact that when we need a goal he brings on a fullback and plays him upfront instead and Manset who got the cov fans doubled up laughing when he came on.

And so on to Wednesday and a game that means so much to Saddlers fans and will require bottle

Baxendale is not a waste, if he was played more than Sawyers....Walsall would likely be doing better. Sawyers holds back the team, but you have to blame Smith for that....and his attacking formation....Walsall could be doing better, but will not make the play offs....every time there is hope it is snuffed out by bad tactics, wrong players being favoured....they can't keep anything going except for a couple of games. We never see three wins in a row

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:29 pm

Walsallone wrote:this is getting really tiresome. We lose a match and some idiot comes on here saying he should go. You obviously dont understand the game because each week somebody has to lose and if managers were sacked every time a team lost the game would be even dafter than it is. By your logic MK Dons should have sacked Robinson by now!

Never heard of draws? :wink:

And yes they should have for constantly failing with their resources plus he's a Scunthorpe.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:33 pm

Hereforawhile wrote:
Cowshed wrote:

Enjoy,

In fact to save you some trouble maybe change your song to include rushall Olympic and Blythe Spartans
Last edited by Cowshed on Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hereforawhile

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:41 pm

Cowshed wrote:
Hereforawhile wrote:
Cowshed wrote:

Enjoy,

Nearly 30 years ago

In fact to save you some trouble maybe change your song to include rushall Olympic and Blythe Spartans

Your probably missed the sarcasm and pathos of the post, but like the forward thinking. In fact, we've already identified the mong to lead it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qTYine5Aos

Class.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:48 pm

Hereforawhile wrote:
Cowshed wrote:
Hereforawhile wrote:
Cowshed wrote:

Enjoy,

Nearly 30 years ago

Like the forward thinking. In fact, we've already identified the mong to lead it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qTYine5Aos

Class.

Touch the nerve of a cov fan distraught that the club are edging out of existence - tick
Last edited by Cowshed on Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:52 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:How we weren't 3/4 down by half time is beyond me. We were diabolicle. Sawyers gave away a blantent penalty, I don't know why people were arguing it. The save should've been the wake up call we needed but it didn't work. Good strike by O'Brien, but once again O'Donnell's positioning from a long range strike was questionable. Why did he come off his line for the initial ball, which he was never getting anywhere near, as when it went out to O'Brien it meant he was still adjusting himself. Only a lucky deflection and a good reaction save stopped is being more than one down at the break.

Second half, we started well and dominated the first 15-20 minutes. Hit the post twice and looked threatening. However, as soon as Benning came on we lost all momentum. What Morris has to do to get in the squad is beyond me.

Their second goal felt inevitable. Once again, it was a simple ball into the box and it pretty summed up our afternoon.

A few other points, O'Donnell MOTM was laughable. Bloke had a bad afternoon, especially in the kicking department.

Taylor looked unfit. He was blowing out of his rear end after twenty minutes. Not convinced he should've started today.

Purkiss has to come back in for O'Connor should J.Chambers be fit for Wednesday and I pray he is.

The officials were ridiculousy bad. To the point is was laughable. How they are professionals is. Eying me. Even simple decisions they were getting wrong and how none of the Coventry players got booked for time wasting is beyond me.

Nice to see someone finally seeing eye to eye with me. The man is marginally above average, with some good points to his game and some below par ones. All this Championship talk is utter bollocks. He saved a pen though mate, so buzzin, give him an 8 year deal.

sallian wrote:If they had won by enough of a margin, would be in play off places....but even a draw would have been a bad result, but to lose again impotently...

If it's that predictable, please take Phil and bog off permanently. Just to save half the sane people on here the bleeding eyes every Saturday evening. I'm sure the rest of us can front the £40 per home game just to ensure the club don't lose out.

Cowshed wrote:Playing a local team who you knew would be up for a battle, as were Shrewsbury,together with a top six place called for some bottle.

What like the bottle we showed to end Fleetwood's 9 month home unbeaten run? Or end the Dons 4 month undefeated league run? Or perhaps the second half comeback at Tranmere?

Completely embarassed to be associated with some on here tonight. We lose 1 game, after a brillant win and all of a sudden we have no bottle, the team needs sacking and the manager is completely inept! It's the sort of cack you see over on Molinuex mix.

* We have NO money
* NO fans
* NO expectations
* Everyone BAR out fans think we are tiny, tinpot and will go down each season
*Our budget is in the bottom 4 or 5 in the division - signing Manset, Grimes and Bradshaw in the summer proves that!
*We are 180 minutes from Wembley, have one of the best forwards in the division and some promising youngsters.
*We are stable, well run and forward thinking in virtually ALL footballing departments.

Please, some people - get a grip! This season up until now is about as good as a 2015 Walsall FC (Current climate, situation, fanbase, finance considered) is EVER > YES, EVER going to be. If you don't enjoy it currently, you may as well quit football permanently.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:05 pm

Sadders wrote:
Wyrley_saddler wrote:How we weren't 3/4 down by half time is beyond me. We were diabolicle. Sawyers gave away a blantent penalty, I don't know why people were arguing it. The save should've been the wake up call we needed but it didn't work. Good strike by O'Brien, but once again O'Donnell's positioning from a long range strike was questionable. Why did he come off his line for the initial ball, which he was never getting anywhere near, as when it went out to O'Brien it meant he was still adjusting himself. Only a lucky deflection and a good reaction save stopped is being more than one down at the break.

Nice to see someone finally seeing eye to eye with me. The man is marginally above average, with some good points to his game and some below par ones. All this Championship talk is utter bollocks. He saved a pen though mate, so buzzin, give him an 8 year deal.

If it's that predictable, please take Phil and bog off permanently. Just to save half the sane people on here the bleeding eyes every Saturday evening. I'm sure the rest of us can front the £40 per home game just to ensure the club don't lose out.

What like the bottle we showed to end Fleetwood's 9 month home unbeaten run? Or end the Dons 4 month undefeated league run? Or perhaps the second half comeback at Tranmere?

Completely embarassed to be associated with some on here tonight. We lose 1 game, after a brillant win and all of a sudden we have no bottle, the team needs sacking and the manager is completely inept! It's the sort of cack you see over on Molinuex mix.

* We have NO money
* NO fans
* NO expectations
*Our budget is in the bottom 4 or 5 in the division - signing Manset, Grimes and Bradshaw in the summer proves that!
*We are 180 minutes from Wembley, have one of the best forwards in the division and some promising youngsters.
*We are stable, well run and forward thinking in virtually ALL footballing departments.

Please, some people - get a grip! This season up until now is about as good as a 2015 Walsall FC (Current climate, situation, fanbase, finance considered) is EVER > YES, EVER going to be. If you don't enjoy it currently, you may as well quit football permanently.[/quote

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:11 pm

well said sadders-you put it much better than me,but I don't agree about O'donnell-his save this afternoon down to his left in the first half was brilliant-the great JW would have been pleased with that. I think he is a good goalkeeper who continues to improve.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:13 pm

Cowshed wrote:
Sadders wrote:

* We have NO money
* NO fans
* NO expectations

Please, some people - get a grip! This season up until now is about as good as a 2015 Walsall FC (Current climate, situation, fanbase, finance considered) is EVER > YES, EVER going to be. If you don't enjoy it currently, you may as well quit football permanently.[/quote[/quote

Fleetwood are you serious?
I thought mk dons were also beaten at home by chesterfield yesterday
Oh and tranmere the team currently topping the premier league - hilarious

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:22 pm

Cowshed wrote:

Why would someone who has admitted they prefer the glory of supporting a premiership team hang out on a Walsall forum?
Some people are beyond reason, I guess.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:22 pm

Fleetwood hadn't lost at home for 9 months, Dons hadn't lost a league game since September 27th - they lost yesterday because of the confidence battering we gave them a few days back and yes, Tranmere are crap. However, some teams losing 2-0 at half time just give in and look to get back to the league - we didn't. I don't think the Chambers brothers lack bottle? Bradshaw doesn't? Taylor and O'Donnell dont? Purkiss doesn't? Sure, Sawyers/Bax/Forde etc might be a little bit 'posey' but to say they don't have bottle is probably a little harsh.

I'd say Dean Smith's teams lack clinicalness at either end and the squad players tend to be quite poor - however, I'd never question the bottle. Physicality, perhaps? Occasionally we have an off day? What team doesn't. Some are commenting on todays defeat like we are Hartlepool, or Tranmere and just lost a bottom of league 2 relegation 6 pointer - we haven't? We lost to a bigger club, with better players on more money. Shock, natural tendancies of the football league strike again! Everyone panic. Emails sent to Gamble to petition for Smith out in the morning. Training sessions to be ran by the army next week!

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:28 pm

Regardless of our second half performance, we deserved to lose today because of the start we made. Absolutely disgraceful, we were second to every ball and if we'd have been 3 down at half time I wouldn't have moaned. Referee was a massive Scunthorpe - his antics with making O'Donnell move his kick at the end before whistling as soon as it was taken were pathetic.

It seems to be the old believing their hype bullshit of previous years. There's not a lot wrong with the team, but as soon as the play offs come into view or are mentioned, they either bottle it or start thinking they're something they aint. Taylor was abject today, as was Bax, and we're now at a stage were a decent loan or two could make a real difference in January. A couple of decent additions could mean being able to rest a player now and again or not relying on Benning or Manset to come on.

Anyone taking a pop at Smith after this game is just being a twerp for the purposes of proving some point they have. We are doing ok but this was a bad day at the office - we actually look to be creating more going forward which is promising albeit we couldn't convert one today.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:34 pm

kshammer wrote:Regardless of our second half performance, we deserved to lose today because of the start we made. Absolutely disgraceful, we were second to every ball and if we'd have been 3 down at half time I wouldn't have moaned. Referee was a massive Scunthorpe - his antics with making O'Donnell move his kick at the end before whistling as soon as it was taken were pathetic.

It seems to be the old believing their hype bullshit of previous years. There's not a lot wrong with the team, but as soon as the play offs come into view or are mentioned, they either bottle it or start thinking they're something they aint. Taylor was abject today, as was Bax, and we're now at a stage were a decent loan or two could make a real difference in January. A couple of decent additions could mean being able to rest a player now and again or not relying on Benning or Manset to come on.

Anyone taking a pop at Smith after this game is just being a twerp for the purposes of proving some point they have. We are doing ok but this was a bad day at the office - we actually look to be creating more going forward which is promising albeit we couldn't convert one today.

Bang on the money - couldn't agree more. We look miles better going forward now, than we did a few months back and it's not ALL Bradshaw. We are finally seeing something more consistent out of Forde and specifically Cook, who has been excellent in recent weeks and will no doubt have been a big loss today, especially as his replacement is like a 5 stone wet fart.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:37 pm

yoda wrote:
Cowshed wrote:

Why would someone who has admitted they prefer the glory of supporting a premiership team hang out on a Walsall forum?
Some people are beyond reason, I guess.

Another post to show your low level of maturity

I'll leave it there as I don't want to come down to your level you will beat me with your experience

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season