Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry (H) League One, 3rd Jan 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Cully
Site Addict

Re: Coventry (H) League One, 3rd Jan 3pm

Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:55 pm

Oh, and here's my post on Saturdays game.

L Must have been one of those Sadders 'random games that on paper are very losable', therefore no opinion positive or otherwise especially criticism necessary including that of our 'over achieving and highly esteemed manager who we are lucky hasn't been snapped up by bigger and more expansive [sic] teams'

:D

ps. Just put some money on Walsall finishing in top half of table.............we're a mid table club aren't we?

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:56 pm

otiswfc wrote: the problem is smith is still making the same mistakes he was making from day one

That would be the season that he somehow managed to save us from relegation then? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:59 pm

Cully wrote:Oh, and here's my post on Saturdays game.

L Must have been one of those Sadders 'random games that on paper are very losable', therefore no opinion positive or otherwise especially criticism necessary including that of our 'over achieving and highly esteemed manager who we are lucky hasn't been snapped up by bigger and more expansive [sic] teams'

ps. Just put some money on Walsall finishing in top half of table.............we're a mid table club aren't we?

Well done cully, a bit of positivity from you for once

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:12 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I also think we need to take into account the likelihood that the contend of a post made within an hour of a home defeat is fairly likely to led more by the heart than the head.

....and let's not forget the beer factor :D

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:29 pm

Cully wrote:
Sadders wrote:
You couldn't be anymore wrong if you tried. I add balance to my posts, include opposition perspectives and give my honest opinion on players, teams and fans - if people don't like that then that's fine, much like I don't like yours and Phil's opinions on us as a club. It annoys me that you find reason to moan about our manager, our players when we lose random games that are on paper - very loseable. It annoys me that when we win, we are only mediocre but when we lose Smith needs to be sacked, our players are rubbish, our tactics abysmal. When in matter of fact, Smith is about par or over-achieving on his budget reach and squad ability/depth. The damining factor being, that if he left here tommorrow he would have offers from bigger and more expansive football league clubs than Walsall FC. Did you say that about Hutchings? Broadhurst? Merson? We are just a notoriously mid table par League One club, who are now slipping lower than that due to current financial times, fanbase etc.

The only major difference these days is that A) Teams use and have A LOT more money than we do, in our division - which means we don't sign the big players in the league and B) Our fanbase even in the last 10 years has dwindled, so we don't get enough people through the door to compete at the top of the division. It's all fine and dandy having your own perspective set to your own club, but sometimes you need to step away and think about what other clubs can do, what expectations other clubs with MORE right and MORE financial backing can do.

Walsall have a poor fanbase in numbers for a town our size, we have a poor home atmosphere, a woeful league 1 budget, we are considered relegation fodder and tinpot by EVERYONE bar our own fans and club - and that's great, let them underestimate us, but don't be foolish enough to think that they don't think that though. What we do have going for us, is a great football philosophy, a good youth setup, some solid foundations in the board room, a manager who doesn't always get it right but has an optimistic look on things, likes to play football that will earn us as a club plaudits as a whole, whilst making us an option for the more lauded young players out there who may be leaving Premier League clubs or prestidgous academies for our sell on potential and style of football, we are a nice club, people want to wish us well and the media/public like it when we do good things - like beating the MK Dons. We have good morales, we have no criminals playing for us, no bad press and a strict backroom management set up from Youth to first team that will only help us on the pitch down the line and lastly have NO* financial worries in any departments. How many others clubs want to be there in 2015? Stable, the best word I can find.

Just look at Hartlepool/Tranmere/Carlisle as examples of league 1 clubs our size/slightly larger than us as the perfect example of being in a BAD situation. What we are currently experiencing, is reasonable, it's exciting at times, frustrating at others, but you feel we are constantly in any game that we play pre kick off and during. Lastly, we have a good side mixed with young and experienced pro's, we are in mid table and have an opportunity to get to Wembley in the next few weeks. We have a fancied forward who is one of the best in the division and exciting young players like Henry, Kinsella, Downing, Forde, Bradshaw, Flanagan, Bakayoko etc.

Yet you read this messageboard of a Saturday evening and anybody who wasn't a Walsall fan would think that we've just been relegated to the Conference South, with a 40 man squad, Mourihno as the manager and a 25,000 home gate. As I said, your entitled to your opinion but I just fear any outsider reading this messageboard at times and thinking 'Christ, what a deluded bunch Walsall fans are, if they stay up each year it's a decent achievement'...and that's what they will think.

:lol: That has to be one of the funniest of all your posts. Full of triumphalist statements, bizarre assumptions and generalised nonsense I have read in a long while. Please can we have more statements like..... 'when we lose random games that are on paper - very loseable' and 'we are considered relegation fodder and tinpot by EVERYONE bar our own fans and club - and that's great'.

Can I suggest reading what you've written before posting, I'm afraid it's mainly meaningless waffle. Let your motto be .............Vox nihili!

I'm glad I finally gave you something back, we've all been having such laughs at your posts for months now! :D

Cully wrote:Oh, and here's my post on Saturdays game.

I presume you struggled to find the 'Dean Smith next league 1 manager sacked odds' then? At least you have a good chance of winning for once mate - can't stand the bookies taking everyone's money all the time!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:46 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
pumajaguar wrote:Morris got a contract extension then?

That one passed me by. Very strange, the fact he's barley been near the team for a while now made me think Deano didn't rate him.

I think we need to wheat a bit longer for him to make an impact.

That goes against the grain.

No more corny puns, please! - although we all know that Welshy is a cereal offender!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:47 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:

That one passed me by. Very strange, the fact he's barley been near the team for a while now made me think Deano didn't rate him.

No more corny puns, please! - although we all know that Welshy is a cereal offender!

That brought a rye smile to my face.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:49 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:

That brought a rye smile to my face.

Were you a-maize-d?

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:50 pm

Wragbyred wrote:
otiswfc wrote: the problem is smith is still making the same mistakes he was making from day one

That would be the season that he somehow managed to save us from relegation then? :roll: :roll: :roll:

You know exactly what I mean he hasn't learnt from any past mistakes and his post match interviews are always full of wenger like drivel, according to smith we never actually deserve to lose a game,well im afraid when you only play for 45mins of a game your not going to win it he is full of excuses I'm sure he has a list he reads them off after every loss.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:57 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Were you a-maize-d?

I dough know.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:49 pm

There seems to be quite a discussion about expectations - but these have been set by Smith himself, as he told the E&S that we were capable of finishing in the top six. 'Top six', not 'higher than last year' not '15th in the table' but in his own words 'Top six'.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/other-football/walsall-fc/2014/08/05/dean-smith-walsall-can-finish-in-the-top-six/

So, yes - when the manager tells us that we are looking to finish top six - is it unrealistic for fans to have that expectation?

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:25 pm

Oh come on. Any manager in this league states every season 'We are aiming for the playoffs' - I believe Hutchings said it? I'm not going to go over anymore reasons for it, but that is an extremely poor example if your trying to build up our expectations to 'make' the playoffs. The words used in that are 'I believe', 'Are capable' and 'manager claims'. Well Yeovil are capable of beating Manchester United in a one off game - doesn't make them Premier league top 4 material does it?

We ARE capable of making the playoffs, but how much time do we have for all the ifs, buts and counter arguements along the way?

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:04 pm

Sadders wrote:Oh come on. Any manager in this league states every season 'We are aiming for the playoffs' - I believe Hutchings said it? I'm not going to go over anymore reasons for it, but that is an extremely poor example if your trying to build up our expectations to 'make' the playoffs. The words used in that are 'I believe', 'Are capable' and 'manager claims'. Well Yeovil are capable of beating Manchester United in a one off game - doesn't make them Premier league top 4 material does it?

We ARE capable of making the playoffs, but how much time do we have for all the ifs, buts and counter arguements along the way?

He said we are looking at finishing top 6 just last week I put on here month's ago it's only dean smith I ever hear mention play offs anybody with half a brain realises we are way to inconsistent to make top 6 we always will be under Smith he has one style of play and is to pig headed to change it even when we're 1-0 down with 10 mins to go we still play the ball about sideways, god help us if we lose by a couple of goals on Wednesday smiths head would explode he'd still line up with 1 up front in the second leg.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:12 pm

Deano ain't going to come out in the press and say we're aiming for mid table is he now?

He's got a difficult job on his hands Deano, but I feel he is the right man for the job to try and push us for a top 6 spot. Doesn't mean we're going to get it, but to try.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:47 am

JonnyOwen wrote:Deano ain't going to come out in the press and say we're aiming for mid table is he now?

He's got a difficult job on his hands Deano, but I feel he is the right man for the job to try and push us for a top 6 spot. Doesn't mean we're going to get it, but to try.

Gary Rowett said last week that the Blues haven't set any targets and are going out each week to be the best they can be.

Question is which is the better statement. The one with a target which supporters can benchmark you against or the one without where supporters then don't have those benchmarks set by the club themselves and therefore draw their own conclusions.

The answer probably is damned if you do, damned if you don't as fans will always draw their own conclusions regardless of what you say.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:48 pm

Sadders wrote:It's these baffling aspersions that change like Bipolar patients from game to game. Credit to Phil, he's consistent, when we win were still shite and when we lose were even shiter. But others that praise the team and go over the top when we pull of results like Dons and then can't stop slagging Smith off the game after and label the team 'bottlers' are just frankly, idiotic.

That seems to be a common belief on here, but I haven't seen any real evidence of it being truthful. I think it's just an easy thing the pro-Smith camp flick out to try and belittle those with opposing views.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:24 pm

Frustrating game.

We weren't that bad overall but Coventry seemed hungrier for it, quick to the ball and looked a decent outfit.

Typical for some on here to slag off Baxendale who obviously didn't watch him in the first half, One of our best players. Lightweight maybe but decent control, runs at players and aside from 2 misplaced passed (which is a lot less than some of the rest of the team who don't come in for the same criticism) he didn't do much wrong.

Thought we missed Purkiss.

Taylor and Downing didn't have their best games but Cov did a job on us and it worked.

Sawyers wasn't that poor - the bloke on WM ranting off at him and blaming the ref for the fact we lost 0-2 needs his head examining.

Really need a home win on Saturday now.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:58 pm

Super Gabor wrote:Frustrating game.

We weren't that bad overall but Coventry seemed hungrier for it, quick to the ball and looked a decent outfit.

Typical for some on here to slag off Baxendale who obviously didn't watch him in the first half, One of our best players. Lightweight maybe but decent control, runs at players and aside from 2 misplaced passed (which is a lot less than some of the rest of the team who don't come in for the same criticism) he didn't do much wrong.

Taylor and Downing didn't have their best games but Cov did a job on us and it worked.

Sawyers wasn't that poor - the bloke on WM ranting off at him and blaming the ref for the fact we lost 0-2 needs his head examining.

Pleased to see I'm not the only one who thought Baxendale was decent!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:54 pm

pumajaguar wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:Frustrating game.

Pleased to see I'm not the only one who thought Baxendale was decent!

I thought he was pretty good too - he tried to make things happen from the particularly unnatural position of the left wing.

The dilemma with Baxendale is that his best football came when he played in the Sawyers role, but Sawyers at his peak is better than Baxendale at his. Saying that, for me there's an argument to say Smith would be justified in replacing Sawyers with Bax on Wednesday night.

Hereforawhile

Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:22 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:As an aside, whilst 'Hereforawhile' seems to have his/her head screwed on, I don't think the claims that Coventry now struggle with a lack of income really wash when they can name Simeon Jackson, Marcus Tudgay, Frank Nouble and Gary Madine in their match day squad. There's a fair few quid being spent on those four, that's for sure.

Gary Madine - on loan until end of Jan. Goals: 2
Frank Nouble - has returned to Ipswich. Goals: 3
Turdquay - signed for a free on a 1-year contract - available to be released. Goals: 1
Simeon Jackson - signed for a free on a 1-year contract. Goals: 2

Other than the likes of Fleck, Barton and Webster, and the other loanees, the team and bench are academy players.

Saturday's back four consisted of three academy players and one loanee, with an average age of 20 years 3 months... :twisted:

If you want to shoot at targets, you might question where the likes of Bristol, and MK Dons in particular, got their money this season.

In the final analysis, in football, money talks. Coventry are 16th in L1 :roll:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:34 pm

Hereforawhile wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:As an aside, whilst 'Hereforawhile' seems to have his/her head screwed on, I don't think the claims that Coventry now struggle with a lack of income really wash when they can name Simeon Jackson, Marcus Tudgay, Frank Nouble and Gary Madine in their match day squad. There's a fair few quid being spent on those four, that's for sure.

Turdquay - signed for a free on a 1-year contract - available to be released. Goals: 1

Other than the likes of Fleck, Barton and Webster, and the other loanees, the team and bench are academy players.

Saturday's back four consisted of three academy players and one loanee, with an average age of 20 years 3 months... :twisted:

If you want to shoot at targets, you might question where the likes of Bristol, and MK Dons in particular, got their money this season.

I wonder how much those 4 are on a week? More than anyone in the Walsall side, I'm sure.

Hereforawhile

Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:38 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
Hereforawhile wrote:

I wonder how much those 4 are on a week? More than anyone in the Walsall side, I'm sure.

I wouldn't much disagree with that; and the fact that we supposedly have a mid-table budget for this year reflects badly against the signings made by the manager.

UTS Legend

Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:32 am

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:29 am

Hereforawhile wrote:

The fact they're either on loan or signed on free transfers doesn't really matter when you still have to pay them a salary higher than the average for the league (at a guess).

Comments on Bristol City are reasonably valid, but when it comes to MK Dons, aren't they being bankrolled by Mr Winkleman? And don't they have a fair amount of 'off field' activity they can rely on too? That's before you mention the capacity crowd they had for the cup game v Man Utd earlier this season. I'm not sure you can really compare them when it comes to finance - as much as I detest everything they stand for, I don't think how they're financed can be questioned too much.

Like I said, I wasn't intending to pick a scrap or make it sound like sour grapes, just that you're not really the paupers you suggested you might be earlier in this thread. The fact Pressley hasn't spent the money wisely is a separate issue entirely. On the plus side though, it's a positive that you're managing to balance experienced pros with academy products.

SWS1

Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:08 pm

We had 16 attempts (far more than them) and didn't manage a goal - back to the future?
:roll:

SWS1

Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:09 pm

Not feeling so confident about Wednesday, now. :(

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:28 pm

SWS1 wrote:We had 16 attempts (far more than them) and didn't manage a goal - back to the future?
:roll:

But we hit the post twice in the second half and had a shot which looked like a certain goal saved. Had two of those gone in or even only one, we would not have been chasing the game in the same way towards the end and who knows what the result would have been.

Then take away the second half performance against Swindon which was a comedy of errors and completely out of character and we look a decent side at the moment. We need to stay positive, this is almost as good as it gets!

Hereforawhile

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:20 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Hereforawhile wrote:

The fact they're either on loan or signed on free transfers doesn't really matter when you still have to pay them a salary higher than the average for the league (at a guess).

Comments on Bristol City are reasonably valid, but when it comes to MK Dons, aren't they being bankrolled by Mr Winkleman? And don't they have a fair amount of 'off field' activity they can rely on too? That's before you mention the capacity crowd they had for the cup game v Man Utd earlier this season. I'm not sure you can really compare them when it comes to finance - as much as I detest everything they stand for, I don't think how they're financed can be questioned too much.

Like I said, I wasn't intending to pick a scrap or make it sound like sour grapes, just that you're not really the paupers you suggested you might be earlier in this thread. The fact Pressley hasn't spent the money wisely is a separate issue entirely. On the plus side though, it's a positive that you're managing to balance experienced pros with academy products.

Fair comment (although still not convinced that MK Dons would be within fpp). To add, it wasn't my intention to play the poor card, simply to note that the club is now being run on pretty tight lines. Indeed, we haven't a clue where the money for likes of Wilson has gone, other than on interest payments/management fees to SISU.

Good way win for you tonight, so you should be through to the final now.

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season