Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (H) League One Fri 26 Dec, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Neuromantic
Site Addict

Re: Swindon Town (H) League One Fri 26 Dec, 3pm

Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:43 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Neuromantic wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
Neuromantic wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:How many clubs gave players Christmas day off?
Are they all unprofessional too?

I don't know - do yo have official numbers?

All I know is, Swindon were in and they won 4-1. All that matters. As someone above mentioned, even if it gave them 1% better match preparation - these fine margins count in football.

Utter Conjecture. And you a scientist too. Tut tut.

How do you know the break didn't improve Walsall and prevent a 7-1 reverse? According to some, That's all we should expect from Smith. :)

As I pointed our Mr. Saigon, even if it improved their performance by even 1% - that would have counted towards their victory.

I could have put it in terms of a principal component matrix, but then we would have had to measure all possible variables contributing to a 'victory'. We could then measure the variance of each extracted factor and find the eigenvalues/vectors of each component. However, for simplicity, I think it's quite easy to conclude that 3 hours more match preparation the day before a game is going to result in a better performance (albeit we don't know how much, and it won't always result in a victory).

the point is, that even if it did improve their performance by even the smallest of margins, then it was worth us going in.

I think that makes completely reasonable, logical sense.

No. Because you don't know if extra training would increase performance and There is absolutely no way of checking.

There are too many confounding variables, such players pissed off at having train over Xmas. So how on earth do you isolate the Xmas training = improved performance correlation.

You can't. FACT.

Me with Matt.

(Psssst, that's what a principal component analysis will tell you psssst)

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:45 am

Doesn't change does he Saigon?
Changes arguments when proved wrong.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:47 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Doesn't change does he Saigon?
Changes arguments when proved wrong.

Incorrect - not proven wrong at all.I think the point is that I could not be proven right or wrong (even though I did actually explain how I could be, admitted there were hundreds of other variables, showed you how to do it)..

But let's just miss that but out eh? :mrgreen:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:47 am

Neuromantic wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Neuromantic wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:How many clubs gave players Christmas day off?
Are they all unprofessional too?

I don't know - do yo have official numbers?

All I know is, Swindon were in and they won 4-1. All that matters. As someone above mentioned, even if it gave them 1% better match preparation - these fine margins count in football.

MK players given day off - won
Preston players given day off - won
Norwich players given day off - won
Chelsea players given day off - won
Man United players given day off - won

All the above are totally unprofessional, yes?

Sheff, it won't matter, a number of dissatisfied miscreants seem determined to be irrationally upset no matter what the facts. All I can say is they should have watched Walsall during some really cack times. Give them something to properly moan about.

Maybe it's the impact of computer games, designed so average players can steer any kind of lower league team into Europe. "Why can't Smith do it..."

Fear not, there will be another reason why Smith is the antichrist along shortly. ;)

I think those of us who know the game well (like you Matt) know that Smith's in-game management and substitutions have always been not good enough - without showing any signs of improvement. If he could rectify that, he would greatly improve as a manager: something I want him to do.

I am not going to sit here after a 4-1 defeat with glaring tactical errors and not say it. He has done absolutely superb to turn around our form recently but there are still problems with his management which he could improve upon. I think he is too stubborn sometimes, he has his favourites, he wastes his budget and he hates strikers. We all want him to do well, it is a myth that people want him to fail. For me, at least, it could not be further from the truth. He is one of us, and I want him to get better.

Bumpy bump bump.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:52 am

Neuromantic wrote:I have noticed all my other points have been completely missed. :mrgreen: by the way...

Any comments on the lack of substitutions or in-game management?

No, thought not - no defence.

Also no comments on our players giving up because it snowed a bit. Basically, let's cut all the bull and winding up - their players dealt with the weather better than us and that's why they won. We had them on the ropes in the first half, we didn't finish the game off or capitalise on that at that point because we are not clinical enough as we have wasted our budget on some dross. They came out in the second half and did us in.

Oh, I have forgotten about that farcical goal after 50 seconds of the second half. How can anyone think that conceding a goal after winning a corner 15 seconds after the re-start is not unacceptable? Beggars belief.

Summed up in the phrase "that's football".

Unless you think that the corner was deliberately given away you have no case. The players also didn't "give up" as you say. I have witnessed players capitulating before, and this didn't even come close. The weather, while easy to dismiss, got really bad exactly at 3-1. We have both played enough football to know that it does have an effect and makes defending a lead easier as it does scoring harder. Maybe you didn't see the blocked shot we had that was on its way, or the saves the keeper made at 4-1.

The most relevant point you have made is assessing the quality of the players. Perhaps Swindon were just better than us in the key areas. They certainly had some exceptional talent up front. Having said that, as you concede we matched them for periods of the game, so I don't know how that works if Smith has employed a pile of crap.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:51 am

As some people seem to be worried that Smith giving our players Christmas Day off is tantamount to force-feeding them mince pies and brandy it's interesting to note that Swindon's short Christmas morning training session involved, er, force-feeding their players mince pies and brandy.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/spor ... ee_points/

Seems a bit unprofessional to me but as Swindon played so well maybe it's something we should consider next year.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:09 pm

:D :D :D

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:15 pm

bangsection wrote:As some people seem to be worried that Smith giving our players Christmas Day off is tantamount to force-feeding them mince pies and brandy it's interesting to note that Swindon's short Christmas morning training session involved, er, force-feeding their players mince pies and brandy.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/spor ... ee_points/

Seems a bit unprofessional to me but as Swindon played so well maybe it's something we should consider next year.

Maybe Smith should have had this as a variable for his in game management. There were a couple of stoppages where time would have allowed for a quick nibble and dram! He just never learns does he, he has to go! :D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:32 pm

Definitely a mince pie to goal correlation.

Won't Smith ever learn?!

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Do you really think all Swindon did at training was eat mince pies? Sometimes the level of debate on this site is infantile.

Cooper gets it spot on.

“They understand that it is not a time for them to celebrate and relax, their time comes in the spring and summer when they get their break.

“I am sure they will spend time with their families where they can and be ready for training on Christmas Day and the game on Boxing Day.

“It is a big sacrifice but hopefully one that will be worthwhile.”

Did Walsall train yesterday?

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:23 pm

aaaae wrote:Do you really think all Swindon did at training was eat mince pies? Sometimes the level of debate on this site is infantile.

Cooper gets it spot on.

“They understand that it is not a time for them to celebrate and relax, their time comes in the spring and summer when they get their break.

“I am sure they will spend time with their families where they can and be ready for training on Christmas Day and the game on Boxing Day.

“It is a big sacrifice but hopefully one that will be worthwhile.”

Did Walsall train yesterday?

This.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:12 pm

Neuromantic wrote:
aaaae wrote:infantile.

This.

How's ya fish?

:D :wink:

SWS1

Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:25 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Cannot believe that some individuals on here are giving us a chance at the Dongs?
(

Unbelievable, n'est-ce pas? :lol:

SWS1

Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:30 pm

And while I'm at it, d'you know what does annoy me, slightly? The fact that we should have slaughtered Scrawley and beaten Screwe and had 6 more points! :evil:
Still, shouldn't grumble after such a fantastic result today :D
UT donalding S!
:D

UTS Legend

Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:15 am

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:43 pm

I attended this game my first home game on 2 years. You can blame me Walsall lost

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:51 pm

big baz 1 wrote:I attended this game my first home game on 2 years. You can blame me Walsall lost

I'm sure I've just read a ghost story.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:14 am

funny that some reckon xmas training was the difference when it was patently obvious.

we held on a bit 1st half but were competitive. 2nd half cooper changed tactics to replicate their 1st goal which he correctly identified as our achilles heel. at 2-1 down it was obvious we couldn't cope but smith waited until they hit 4 to adapt. mad 10 minutes my eye, with a 3 goal cushion they sat on what they had.

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:23 pm

wfc & chips wrote: 2nd half cooper changed tactics

Hopefully one day Smith gets enough time so he can read that chapter.

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season