Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield United (A) League One 20th Dec, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
hullsaddler
Glitterati

Re: Sheffield United (A) League One 20th Dec, 3pm

Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:26 pm

Pretty dismal first half which if Sheffield had had someone with a nose for goal they would have gone in one or two ahead. We were non-existent as an attacking force. We improved in the second half, but it is a pity Baxendale wasn't substituted two minutes earlier as his last giving away of the ball led eventually to their goal. He wasn't the only player guilty of this. Thank God for Tom Bradshaw. The game then became much more open after we equalised. I wasn't that impressed with Sheff Utd and think if we had then been a little more positive then we might have pinched it.
Considering there were 20,000 of them they made very little noise.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:07 pm

I'd have taken a point at the start. So I have to be happy with that!

We'll done the lads, coming back from a goal down in defiance of 'Sallian footballing philosophy.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:04 am

Exile wrote:I'd have taken a point at the start. So I have to be happy with that!

We'll done the lads, coming back from a goal down in defiance of 'Sallian footballing philosophy.

Sshhh!, wake him up with his minders backs turned, and we are in for another monologue!
Did not make it after all today, gutted, but well done the lads, can be an intimidating place to play, and it looks as if we were under the cosh for great swathes of the match, so a very good point overall. Hope to make the Boxing day match......if.....you can overpay at the gate that is. :?
UTS

UTS Legend

Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:25 am

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:40 am

hint of off side about their goal

PyeGreenSaddler

Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:01 am

Overall not a great performance but 1-1 not a bad result and actually could have nicked it in the end.
First half we sat off them too much and they used the width of the pitch (looked more like a square than a rectangle) to much better effect. Murphy gave henry the run around first half with cook not giving enough defensive support. But similarly bax didn't hep purkiss and was too often in the middle of the pitch and not wide. They could have been three up at half time with Baxter missing a free header and hitting the bar with deflected shot but also o Grady heading just over from a dubious free kick. That was another theme in the first half, they went down so easy with even the slightest challenge and won a lot of free kicks for nothing.

Second half we were still poor for first 15 mins and when forde started warming up it had to be bax to come off but he still had time to give the ball away for the umpteenth time and Baxter put O'Grady through. It looked off side from where we were but no one appealed. Two minutes earlier bax would have been off and we might not have conceded. That seemed to wake us up and we had a good two minute spell ending with a good goal from Bradshaw. After that the game opened up and when we took the game to them we did look like we could score again. But too many times we just didn't quite have the final ball with sawyers and Cain not having good games.

Bradshaw had a great effort that was definitely a corner that wasn't given but apart from another scramble between Grimes, benning and Bradshaw late on we didn't really create much else. They hoofed a lot and towards the end they had a number of chances but again never really looked like scoring apart from cuvelier header a minute after he came on.

They didn't sing all game and Clough was like a balancing walking orangutan the amount he had is arms in the air.

Decent point.

O Donnell - 7 not that much to do and perhaps could have done better with the goal, but solid overall.
Purkiss - 6 not as good as recent matches
Chambers J - 7 good game mopped up and brought the ball out well
Downing - 6 looked a bit tired but not a bad game
Henry - 6 first half looked out of place and nervous but was much much better in the second half and got forward well
Bax - 4 really poor game drifted inside too much and didn't give purkiss options down the line, gave the ball away too much, play him in the middle or not at all
Chambers A - 7 not great first half but much better second half and one of the only players to get stuck in
Cain - 5 been playing well but not today passing was not great and touch left him, also brushed off the ball too easily
Cook - 6 good ball for the goal and found space here and there but needed to help henry more defensively
Sawyers - 5 none existent most of the game needs to be more involved if we are going to more threatening up front
Bradshaw - 7.5 good goal, had another great shot second half but needs more help and there were a couple of through balls he didn't pull off which could have made the difference

Forde - 7 looked good when he came on, ran at them and was direct
Benning - 5 didn't have loads of time but could have won it at the end but was not on target
Grimes - 5 few nice touches but not much time

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:30 pm

Great to see sheff utd on a poor run at home. According to the northern idiot at my work they were going to put that run to bed by trouncing us so they could enjoy their xmas dinner. (He was so sure of this he bet me 20 quid that they would beat us by 2 clear goals) Cant wait for work tomorrow...and to think I was cheesed off about not breaking up friday. :mrgreen:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:31 pm

I have no idea how their fans watch that rubbish 23 times a season.

I know watching Walsall isn't always thrill a minute but Sheffield really are a terrible side to watch.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:18 am

Whenever i think of Sheffield Utd it brings back memories of Ron Green saving that last minute penalty,Martin Peters getting the sack,several Walsall players being punched and kicked as the United fans invaded the pitch.my brother in law was arrested after he climbed the fence along with hundreds of Walsall fans to try and protect the Walsall players. I had gone to the match in my brother in laws car so had to find another way home,luckily i was walking past the railway station and saw hundreds of Walsall fans going in so i followed them onto a train no one asked for a ticket nor did they ask for a ticket when the train arrived at walsall,job done. Ah the good old days!!!...... :D

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:20 pm

sid swifty wrote:I had gone to the match in my brother in laws car so had to find another way home,luckily i was walking past the railway station and saw hundreds of Walsall fans going in so i followed them onto a train no one asked for a ticket nor did they ask for a ticket when the train arrived at walsall,job done. Ah the good old days!!!...... :D

Gotyer!
This is Inspector Ferret of the Anti-Free-Travel Flying Squad Transport Task Force.
Yours has been an outstanding case which we've been waiting some time to close off.
You're nicked sunshine.
Please hand yourself in to the nearest Police Station before we have to spend more police time tracking you down through your cyberspace footprint.

With that case closed it's time to follow up on the rumours of people standing at Walsall games.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:55 pm

Blimey! - three pages (and counting) of analysis of our goal by Blades fans...
[url]
http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?th ... all.37443/[/url]

Meanwhile, Walsall players gave their take on the goal:

Forde: "The ball come over to me, so I, like, wellied it into the middle "
Bradders: "Yer, the ball come over fast so I like, shut me eyes and it bounced off me 'ead and into the net".

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:30 am

WarsawPact wrote:Blimey! - three pages (and counting) of analysis of our goal by Blades fans...
[url]

Bradders: "Yer, the ball come over fast so I like, shut me eyes and it bounced off me 'ead and into the net".

Is there much analysis of their (offside) goal?

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:08 am

WarsawPact wrote:Blimey! - three pages (and counting) of analysis of our goal by Blades fans...
[url]

You would think after so much analysis they would know that it was Cook who supplied the cross not Forde. :roll:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:13 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:I have no idea how their fans watch that rubbish 23 times a season.

I know watching Walsall isn't always thrill a minute but Sheffield really are a terrible side to watch.

They haven't had a decent footballing side since Tony Currie played for them in the 70's.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:55 pm

Whitters wrote:
sid swifty wrote:I had gone to the match in my brother in laws car so had to find another way home,luckily i was walking past the railway station and saw hundreds of Walsall fans going in so i followed them onto a train no one asked for a ticket nor did they ask for a ticket when the train arrived at walsall,job done. Ah the good old days!!!...... :D

Gotyer!
This is Inspector Ferret of the Anti-Free-Travel Flying Squad Transport Task Force.
Yours has been an outstanding case which we've been waiting some time to close off.
You're nicked sunshine.
Please hand yourself in to the nearest Police Station before we have to spend more police time tracking you down through your cyberspace footprint.

With that case closed it's time to follow up on the rumours of people standing at Walsall games.

I know how Uncle Albert felt now.....where's the stripper :shock: :D

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season