Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnsley (H) 13th December, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Barnsley (H) 13th December, 3pm

Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:30 pm

Forde on for Baxendale, 67 minutes.

Barnsley midfielder Crainie booked for a foul on Rico Henry.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:46 pm

Bit topsy turvy this League aye it? Here's hoping our own brand of tippy tappy footy might indeed be substantially suitable for a mid table, or indeed beyond!! finish, ya never know, if I can predict a win, AND be right, we could get to the play off's!! :) :idea:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:49 pm

86 minutes, and Manset replaces Bradshaw......

Berry (Barnsley) joins his colleagues in the referee's book

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:57 pm

3-1 :D :D :D :D :D :D (Cook, again)

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:58 pm

Spot on lads great result. 3-1. On wards and upwards (the table). :D :D :D

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:59 pm

See I can predict scores! pity Barnsley had to spoil it by scoring.....Smith Out!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

UTS Legend

Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:59 pm

:D :D :D

UTS Legend

Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:02 pm

4 shots on target, THREE goals!!!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:09 pm

Fantastic result, under the cosh and O'D was a rock. Great first goal by Cook, my man crush on Bradders continues and last but not least D.S doing a great job of late......keep it up :D

UTS Legend

Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:21 pm

We should have got rid of Smith weeks or even months ago (according to some). Then where would we have been?

Certainly in no better position than where we are now. :D

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:29 pm

Cook with 2 goals? I await otiswfc and his view that he is unlikely to score 5 goals this season?
Now where can I get that £100 bet?

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:33 pm

Let's not have too many'i told you so's'. It's not a competition to see whose right or wrong. We've come thru an indifferent run and are now playing well, addng goals to the clean sheets. Great to see people like Cook and Forde weighing in goals as well, now they're fit and gettting used to WFC. Sticking by a good manager works.

Well played one and all.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:37 pm

Guest wrote:We should have got rid of Smith weeks or even months ago (according to some). Then where would we have been?

Certainly in no better position than where we are now. :D

And as WFC fans we are chuffed to bits with this.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:53 pm

Sublime goal from Cook to counter the abortion of a defensive effort to gift them their first.

Played really well in patches and just about deserved the win.

For those who are still after Smith's blood, think about the Mutt features in their dug-out and put things in perspective.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:54 pm

Cracking result.

Keep this up and who knows....

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:08 pm

A thoroughly deserved win and a welcome birthday present for Sir Geoffrey Whiting. We are now nearer the play-offs (4 points) than the relegation zone (6 points) and still have the best defensive record but the second worst (after Crwho?) scoring record.

The defence looked sound, as you would expect. Henry made a few mistakes but still showed great promise. I'm not quite sure how O'Donnell got MotM. He made a couple of very good blocks but was also indecisive on a couple of occasions and generally had little to do.
In midfield, I still can't make up my mind about Cain. On the ball, he looks a decent player but, for me, he isn't involved enough. I'm sure he is improving with the valuable experience that he is gaining with us. As for Sawyers and Baxendale - what a pair of enigmas! Two of the most gifted and talented players in League One but sooooo frustrating!
Cook looks to be approaching his best form now he has settled back in. His first goal, in particular, was an absolute cracker. Make sure you watch it on the Football League Show. Bradshaw's goal was classy.

The next three games will be a true test as to whether we really are improving.

UTS

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:11 pm

Pedagogue wrote:A thoroughly deserved win and a welcome birthday present for Sir Geoffrey Whiting. We are now nearer the play-offs (4 points) than the relegation zone (6 points) and still have the best defensive record but the second worst (after Crwho?) scoring record.

The defence looked sound, as you would expect. Henry made a few mistakes but still showed great promise. I'm not quite sure how O'Donnell got MotM. He made a couple of very good blocks but was also indecisive on a couple of occasions and generally had little to do.
In midfield, I still can't make up my mind about Cain. On the ball, he looks a decent player but, for me, he isn't involved enough. I'm sure he is improving with the valuable experience that he is gaining with us. As for Sawyers and Baxendale - what a pair of enigmas! Two of the most gifted and talented players in League One but sooooo frustrating!
Cook looks to be approaching his best form now he has settled back in. His first goal, in particular, was an absolute cracker. Make sure you watch it on the Football League Show. Bradshaw's goal was classy.

The next three games will be a true test as to whether we really are improving.

UTS

Good point Pedagogue, Sheff U (A), Swindon (H) and MK (A) will be tough.

I would be happy with 4 points out of the next 3 games, but it's nice to know we will be in with a chance in each match.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:12 pm

Pedagogue wrote:The next three games will be a true test as to whether we really are improving.

Odd statement Pedders. We have lost one game in the last 10.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:15 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:The next three games will be a true test as to whether we really are improving.

I was alluding to the strength of the opposition and the fact that two of them are away from home.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:16 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

I think that Pedagogue's comment was largely to do with the perceived quality of the opposition in our next three games. Swindon Town, MK Dons and Sheffield United are all definite promotion prospects - a good test for our own credentials.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:25 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

I think that Pedagogue's comment was largely to do with the perceived quality of the opposition in our next three games. Swindon Town, MK Dons and Sheffield United are all definite promotion prospects - a good test for our own credentials.

I got it, Welsh. I still think it is an odd statement to make, when clearly we have shown improvement after 3 points from the first 5 games. Beating Preston, Notts County, Chesterfield, Fleetwood and Barnsley, and losing one in the last 10 competitive games, is evidence of that, surely. Whatever happens in the next three games doesn't change that.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

I was alluding to the strength of the opposition and the fact that two of them are away from home.

Sorry, missing replies. I think that many thought that before we went to Notts County.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:42 pm

Credit where credit is due and well done to Smith for the current improvement.
Why some on here think that any of the Smith out lot would be anything other than delighted with the latest turn around baffles me.
A very entertaining game after the first goal went in today.for me purkiss was mom.

Things are looking up!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:50 pm

m&m wrote:Credit where credit is due and well done to Smith for the current improvement.
Why some on here think that any of the Smith out lot would be anything other than delighted with the latest turn around baffles me.
A very entertaining game after the first goal went in today.for me purkiss was mom.

Things are looking up!

And me.

And pathetic almost child like new threads starting.

windowman
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:02 pm

IHTC. wrote:
m&m wrote:Credit where credit is due and well done to Smith for the current improvement.

Things are looking up!

And me.

maybe he has nothing better to do on match days

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:22 pm

windowman wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

Things are looking up!

And me.

maybe he has nothing better to do on match days

You would think he would find a game of football to go and watch

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:24 pm

Excellent contribution from Cook today, I hope he can find some consistent form from here because I think he can become a vital player for us over next couple years.

I work in the same place as Nyatanga's dad so bragging rights monday!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:40 pm

Things are looking up!

Happy with that assessment, I mentioned after the 'second' much improved match at Spotland that there had been a sudden transformation of the guy, he has become a rock in the foundation of a solid defence set up.

Very happy with todays result, well done lads!
UTS

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:00 pm

Just about thawed out now and reflecting on a performance where, at times, we looked great and yet made hard work of the win. Gave them the first goal but responded brilliantly with two great goals to be up at half time. Struggled to hold onto to the ball in the second half and let them come on to us. Well worked third goal (I think they were expecting it to stay in the corner) put the icing in the cake.

Back four and ROD good, especially BPurk. Cain and Sawyers in and out of the game, Bax more out than in. Bradshaw gives us a cutting edge and a work rate that is vital, the corner for the first goal down to that. Cook had as good a game as I've seen, certainly since he came back, and the first goal was a cracker. He then made the second and scored the third, almost scored with a free kick and was dangerous all game. My MOM.

Great to put one over on Danny Wilson, who has always denigrated us (I believe the vernacular is 'dissed'). Interesting few weeks coming up......

ws9swift

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:02 pm

Great to see we got other forwards that can score other than Bradshaw was starting to get worried there didn't no where the goal was.

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season