Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnsley (H) 13th December, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Whitters
Site Addict

Re: Barnsley (H) 13th December, 3pm

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:07 pm

Pedagogue wrote:A thoroughly deserved win and a welcome birthday present for Sir Geoffrey Whiting.

?
Our number one stayaway?
Weren't Wolves playing?
There's a sniff of Wembley and he's back?
And JB's back too?
I smell a rat - or more likely, I smell plastic.

saddla
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:15 pm

3 really well taken goals today and a tie for MoM between Purkiss and Cook.

I'm no fan of Manset but do the idiots really have to boo him as he comes on as a sub?
He set up the third goal on a plate for Cook.

Onwards and upwards. Great fish chips and paes at Sheff Utd!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:A thoroughly deserved win and a welcome birthday present for Sir Geoffrey Whiting. We are now nearer the play-offs (4 points) than the relegation zone (6 points) and still have the best defensive record but the second worst (after Crwho?) scoring record.

The defence looked sound, as you would expect. Henry made a few mistakes but still showed great promise. I'm not quite sure how O'Donnell got MotM. He made a couple of very good blocks but was also indecisive on a couple of occasions and generally had little to do.
In midfield, I still can't make up my mind about Cain. On the ball, he looks a decent player but, for me, he isn't involved enough. I'm sure he is improving with the valuable experience that he is gaining with us. As for Sawyers and Baxendale - what a pair of enigmas! Two of the most gifted and talented players in League One but sooooo frustrating!
Cook looks to be approaching his best form now he has settled back in. His first goal, in particular, was an absolute cracker. Make sure you watch it on the Football League Show. Bradshaw's goal was classy.

The next three games will be a true test as to whether we really are improving.

UTS

Good point Pedagogue, Sheff U (A), Swindon (H) and MK (A) will be tough.

I would be happy with 4 points out of the next 3 games, but it's nice to know we will be in with a chance in each match.

Despite how miseryarse this forum is on occasions, I can't quite believe there's anyone seriously worried by relegation.

What the next 3 games will indicate is whether there's potential for a sneaky little play off challenge in the second half of the season. 4-5 points from the next 3 and the table will be looking very interesting indeed.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:26 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:A thoroughly deserved win and a welcome birthday present for Sir Geoffrey Whiting. We are now nearer the play-offs (4 points) than the relegation zone (6 points) and still have the best defensive record but the second worst (after Crwho?) scoring record.

The defence looked sound, as you would expect. Henry made a few mistakes but still showed great promise. I'm not quite sure how O'Donnell got MotM. He made a couple of very good blocks but was also indecisive on a couple of occasions and generally had little to do.
In midfield, I still can't make up my mind about Cain. On the ball, he looks a decent player but, for me, he isn't involved enough. I'm sure he is improving with the valuable experience that he is gaining with us. As for Sawyers and Baxendale - what a pair of enigmas! Two of the most gifted and talented players in League One but sooooo frustrating!
Cook looks to be approaching his best form now he has settled back in. His first goal, in particular, was an absolute cracker. Make sure you watch it on the Football League Show. Bradshaw's goal was classy.

UTS

I would be happy with 4 points out of the next 3 games, but it's nice to know we will be in with a chance in each match.

Despite how miseryarse this forum is on occasions, I can't quite believe there's anyone seriously worried by relegation.

What the next 3 games will indicate is whether there's potential for a sneaky little play off challenge in the second half of the season. 4-5 points from the next 3 and the table will be looking very interesting indeed.

:?

Err, don't know if it's coincidence that you've quoted me, but just to clarify, I'm not worried that we will get relegated.

I share your view regarding the next 3 games.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:27 pm

Purkiss for me MOTM he does his job defending, if he was as good in the attacking half i don't think he would be with us. And there was two or three players who could have got MOTM. Don't worry about the next three games, remember we are Walsall anything can happen.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:54 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:

UTS

:?

Err, don't know if it's coincidence that you've quoted me, but just to clarify, I'm not worried that we will get relegated.

I share your view regarding the next 3 games.

I just quoted you chap as it was part of the conversation and the question asked of "are we improving?"

Improving enough to mount a play off challenge, next 3 games will give the indication of this. Swindon and Franchise are very good attacking sides this season and both are serious contenders for automatic promotion.

Sheffield less so but they're always a boring, pain in the backside low scoring, hoofing team to play against even if the record in recent years is decent. Think that's the best chance of a win anyway.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:58 pm

saddla wrote:3 really well taken goals today and a tie for MoM between Purkiss and Cook.

I'm no fan of Manset but do the idiots really have to boo him as he comes on as a sub?

I'm not sure it is booing. Aren't people shouting Beast?

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:35 pm

I'm very happy to take the credit for today's win, we ALWAYS win when I am involved in the match day experience. :D

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:42 pm

were on a roll , Smith is a streaky manager we should know that by now , keep the faith and things come right. This has the makings of a great season.

Im a believer

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:48 pm

IHTC. wrote:
Guest wrote:We should have got rid of Smith weeks or even months ago (according to some). Then where would we have been?

Certainly in no better position than where we are now. :D

And as WFC fans we are chuffed to bits with this.

Don't be saft. As Andy_Petterson will no doubt point out, us Smith doubters will no doubt be gutted about today's result.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:53 pm

Great result. Top half! No nosebleeds, please. :D

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:22 pm

Chomper wrote:Let's not have too many'i told you so's'. It's not a competition to see whose right or wrong.

No, it's about learning the mistakes of the past, considering the same old faces are the first to criticise at the slightest hint of problems and incredibly reticent to praise any success (surely this in itself is the polar opposite definition of 'supporter', but there we go). While there are people still calling for Smith's head whenever we hit an inevitable rut - which is inevitable for a side that isn't expected to run away with the league - they have to expect to be reminded of their anti-Smith agenda whenever we return to top-half form (which is equally inevitable). The end game is not some tit-for-tat childish slanging match but the hope that the repeat critics will be cured of their persistent myopia and realise that for us to have any hope of us returning to the Championship, the only ways are some kind of miracle cash injection or slow & steady progress. The latter will never, ever be achieved by chopping and changing and the first sign of trouble.

In sight of the play-offs, in sight of Wembley, eight of the team 24 or under, a whole bunch of them from the local area and/or our youth team. I can't really think of much more evidence that we're on the right lines.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:24 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
saddla wrote:3 really well taken goals today and a tie for MoM between Purkiss and Cook.

You're indeed correct, DS. No booing, simply an affectionate welcome for the beast.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:36 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:

You're indeed correct, DS. No booing, simply an affectionate welcome for the beast.

As anyone told Manset because to me it sounded like they were booing him.

SWS1

Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:40 am

Great win! Howayyy the lads. :D
Noticed that for once they out-shot us but we scored ours. Makes a nice change as it's usually the other way round.
Noticed, too, the foul-count (that's COUNT, with an O for anyone who thinks I'm talking about a referee or something :mrgreen: ): 5 (us) - 13 (them) but no one mentioned that they were a particularly physical (ahem, dirty) team, as is often the case. Does any body (that's body as in official body) count up the total fouls for and against each team each season? Is that how they calculate the "fair-play" league table?
Someone enlighten me, please. :?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:40 am

Whitters wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:A thoroughly deserved win and a welcome birthday present for Sir Geoffrey Whiting.

?
Our number one stayaway?
Weren't Wolves playing?
There's a sniff of Wembley and he's back?
And JB's back too?
I smell a rat - or more likely, I smell plastic.

I'm back where Whitters? I was at Trentham Gardens shopping village and Stoke town centre this afternoon, possibly the furthest (apart from North Wales) that I've been from the Banks's on a Saturday afternoon all season. I haven't attended a game home or away this season, but am very happy with the win today, and the progress up the table.

But not tempted back by results, nor even by a prospective Wembley appearance, so don't make out I'm some sort of glory hunter - it ain't gonna happen!

I'd also add that I'm far from being our number one stayaway, but I still am one of them, and will continue to be so while JB remains at the helm and milking his rent out of the fans.

UTS Legend

Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:50 am

Pedagogue wrote:Cook looks to be approaching his best form now he has settled back in. His first goal, in particular, was an absolute cracker. Make sure you watch it on the Football League Show. Bradshaw's goal was classy.

Just in case anyone missed it. The camerawork could have been better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuZxdOkX6fM

Comments on Jordan Cook's first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An-h3PLMBBE

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:08 am

Wragbyred wrote:Cook with 2 goals? I await otiswfc and his view that he is unlikely to score 5 goals this season?
Now where can I get that £100 bet?

Every dog has its day great strike for the first one, I will be happy to be proved wrong I'm still not 100% convinced.
UTS

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:34 am

Registered Saddler wrote:
Chomper wrote:Let's not have too many'i told you so's'. It's not a competition to see whose right or wrong.

No, it's about learning the mistakes of the past, considering the same old faces are the first to criticise at the slightest hint of problems and incredibly reticent to praise any success (surely this in itself is the polar opposite definition of 'supporter', but there we go). While there are people still calling for Smith's head whenever we hit an inevitable rut - which is inevitable for a side that isn't expected to run away with the league - they have to expect to be reminded of their anti-Smith agenda whenever we return to top-half form (which is equally inevitable). The end game is not some tit-for-tat childish slanging match but the hope that the repeat critics will be cured of their persistent myopia and realise that for us to have any hope of us returning to the Championship, the only ways are some kind of miracle cash injection or slow & steady progress. The latter will never, ever be achieved by chopping and changing and the first sign of trouble.

In sight of the play-offs, in sight of Wembley, eight of the team 24 or under, a whole bunch of them from the local area and/or our youth team. I can't really think of much more evidence that we're on the right lines.

Great post Registered. It should be recognised that there is a difference between those that question and challenge the managers' position with reason and logic and those that simply react to "current form" or a bad result against a team they think we have a right to be beating, or throw personal abuse towards a man that is working his nadjers off for the club and thereby, its supporters.

There will inevitably come a point when those that run the club know that we need a change, or Smith will decide that he needs a change. I hope it is some time off though.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:48 am

tinned wrote:
IHTC. wrote:
Guest wrote:We should have got rid of Smith weeks or even months ago (according to some). Then where would we have been?

Certainly in no better position than where we are now. :D

And as WFC fans we are chuffed to bits with this.

Don't be saft. As Andy_Petterson will no doubt point out, us Smith doubters will no doubt be gutted about today's result.

Not at all, because I have no proof of this. I'm sorry such a basic concept such as backing an argument with evidence eludes you, a bit like when you argued we played 2 up front at Tranmere.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:02 pm

A fantastic win against a decent side I thought. Barnsley look a slight tactical switch and a bit of 'Smith' organisation at the back from being a side that could make a second half dart towards the play-offs. Those saying it was a tough win were correct, it was a physical game that we had to work hard for against a team that whilst currently in bad form, have enough talented players in the squad to beat anyone in this league.

The best thing about yesterday for me - is that only did we go 1 down, but we fought back to score 3 (for the 3rd time already this season, I believe - when did that last happen pre-Christmas?) and most impressively, our 'key' players probably didn't have the best game of the season. Sawyers had an off afternoon, Bradshaw has had better games and I thought Cain and Chambers were fairly anonymous in possession. But Cook showed the winger I had remembered when he left a couple of years back, quick, direct, tricky, with an eye for a goal - he could have scored 3 or 4 quite easily. We started slowly and the marking was poor for their goal - but it was a great header. Beautiful volley from Cook and a very clever step over from Bradshaw that sold the defender when most fans were screaming 'SHOOT' in their heads.

Barnsley rallied for a little bit in the second half but bar 1 free kick and a save low down to his left from O'Donnell, we really didn't have that much to do at the back. I thought Henry was outstanding, looks a real prospect - give him an 8 year deal with a huge release clause. Downing was superb, mopped and headed everything and Purkiss just looks like a completely new player. I think it may have gone under the radar a little but what a decision it has been from Smith to drop his summer signing O'Connor after his awful performance at Oldham and give Purkiss a run, he's been excellent ever since.

Baxendale had another of his anonymous afternoons, he can be benched now for Forde who I thought added some much needed ball retention and trickery when he came on. Chambers and Cain did the leg work but both struggled to get into the game or on to the ball. James Chambers, O'Donnell, Purkiss, Downing, Henry all very good to excellent. What game were people watching to give O'Donnell MOTM? Makes it look like he had some super human effort in goal that won us the game, when in reality he made one good reaction save and another low down at his near post that any keeper should save easily. Henry was far more worthy.

Bradshaw took his goal well and seems to inspire confidence in the players around him. Lovely dummy and cool finish under the keeper. 10 goals this season now, I bet his goal to minutes ratio is amongst the best in the division at the moment. Sawyers had an off day, couldn't trap cement and didn't really pull the strings - he seems to have a game like this 1 in 5, thankfully during the other 4 he's generally our most creative player. Cook would have been my MOTM, brilliant performance. Mention to Manset when he came on, he has looked 'ok' at times for little 10 minute periods and his lay off was very good for the 3rd, his reaction just stank of 'miserable french fool, that wanted the glory of scoring, not setting it up'.

We definitely needed that as in my mind, we won't win another game in December. However, if we start January well we won't be too far away from the top half and ultimately - considering our 2 best players have barely played consistently all season and we started without Butler/woeful injury list then we really are doing quite well this season. If we can squeeze a Wembley appearance in, finish around mid-table (or have no relegation worries) and continue to bring Henry, Kinsella, Downing, Forde on - with Bradshaw getting somewhere near 20 goals, then that would be - in my mind, a very successful and superb season both on and off the pitch for the club.

SMITH IN!

He ay going anywhere, until he decides to resign or leave to a bigger/better club.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Sadders wrote:

SMITH IN!

He ay going anywhere, until he decides to resign or leave to a bigger/better club.

There are no better clubs :evil:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:23 pm

Im not worried about the difficult run of games coming up, we might not win any of them but i dont think we will lose easily, no reason why we cant beat Sheff Utd anyway. Be happy with 4 draws to be honest.

Hopefully the injuries stay down as our squad is looking strong at the moment *touchwood*

Really hope that gives Cook a boost, there is a cracking player in there. what i like about his goal is its not a fluke where he just puts his head down and leathers it, he executed the shot to perfection and put it where he wanted. Awesome.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:35 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:

Hear hear! People need to realise that they are far too trigger happy. Further to this the level of abuse I and a few others got when trying to get people to keep the faith was incredible. I suspect people won't learn but at some point we won't be firing on all cylinders (I suspect we're not even yet) and when that happens shout and scream your support. Be the 12th man. UTS!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:08 pm

Depends what you want.

Smith has never, and will never deliver anything more than mediocre. Just take a look at the league table: 6 wins, 6 defeats and 8 draws, having scored 18 and conceded 17. You couldn't get more average than that.

Average doesn't bring excitement, nor does it bring achievement.

If you want lengthy periods of piss poor performances, poor squad building and a 12th placed finish, stick with Smith.

Some of us however, would like to see the club do a little better than average.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:17 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Depends what you want.

Smith has never, and will never deliver anything more than mediocre. Just take a look at the league table: 6 wins, 6 defeats and 8 draws, having scored 18 and conceded 17. You couldn't get more average than that.

If you want lengthy periods of piss poor performances, poor squad building and a 12th placed finish, stick with Smith.

As much as I wanted Smith Out, you have to acknowledge the recent improvement in results?

Perhaps things are beginning to finally click into place and good times ahead?

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:26 pm

For 85 minutes that was dull.
5 minutes and 3 goals one a wonder strike from Cook was all the action we got.
Smith Out :D

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:04 pm

IHTC. wrote:

As much as I wanted Smith Out, you have to acknowledge the recent improvement in results?

Of course I do, it's a matter of fact.

Unfortunately a season is 46 matches, not 6 matches.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:29 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

Of course I do, it's a matter of fact.

Unfortunately a season is 46 matches, not 6 matches.

Absolutely but it would be nice if we just enjoyed this run of form.

saddlerone

Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:40 pm

cannot believe there are people on this board who are still moaning .can only assume they are "tongue in cheek "comments ,i really hope so ,otherwise there are people on this board who should,nt be near any sharp implements !
no one should forget what this club is , and how it works .

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season